Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

powderific posted:

Has anyone run into Safari being slow with text input (specifically on the forums)? On my M1 air I have no issues in safari, but for whatever reason on my 16" m1 macbook pro the text input lags. It's slow enough that it throws off my typing — reminds me of using vnc over a slow connection or something. It's really weird and annoying.

i have and have been meaning to ask about it. my m1 imac does this. i have menumeters (everyone should have menumeters) and typing in the sa reply box will peg an entire loving core lol

Clark Nova posted:

It is specific to safari and the post textarea field on the SA forums

indeed it is. nowhere else

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, this is a bug specific to apple silicon Macs (and I think only the ones using pro/max/ultra?) and it only affects the Something Awful forums for some strange reason.

well hot drat, go figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I use Firefox full-time now that I'm on an Apple Silicon Mac. I don't have to care anymore about the incremental battery gains or decreased fan noise I'd get with Safari on AS.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a timemachine backup on a 5tb external hard drive. It takes about 1-2minutes after I enter the password for the drive to show as available again. Is this normal, or is it a sign something is awry with the drive?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

i have and have been meaning to ask about it. my m1 imac does this. i have menumeters (everyone should have menumeters) and typing in the sa reply box will peg an entire loving core lol

All of my Macs have done this since the M1 MBP and I've posted about it in the past here. iPhones do it too. and it only happens here. There are still other vBulletin sites out there, like citydata.com, that are unaffected.

Violator
May 15, 2003

OpenCore patched machines can do normal point release updates, right? Without jumping through hoops of repatching?

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Violator posted:

OpenCore patched machines can do normal point release updates, right? Without jumping through hoops of repatching?

With Legacy Patcher? Yes, but you will need to rerun any post-install root patches after every point update.

Violator
May 15, 2003

handoferis posted:

With Legacy Patcher? Yes, but you will need to rerun any post-install root patches after every point update.

Excellent, that’s what I thought. I patched my Late 2015 iMac and was very happy with how fast and painless the process is. No post-install patches luckily.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Newer OCLP versions will actually detect when point releases have just been installed and will offer to automatically re-patch the necessary root patches.

If you're still in Big Sur, stay at 0.4.11, only with Monterey or higher should you update to 0.5.3..

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Binary Badger posted:

Newer OCLP versions will actually detect when point releases have just been installed and will offer to automatically re-patch the necessary root patches.

If you're still in Big Sur, stay at 0.4.11, only with Monterey or higher should you update to 0.5.3..

I'm not disagreeing with you at all - I'll just add that when I upgraded from 13.0.1 to 13.1 with 0.5.3 it didn't even offer to repatch. It just did it.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

frogbs posted:

I have a timemachine backup on a 5tb external hard drive. It takes about 1-2minutes after I enter the password for the drive to show as available again. Is this normal, or is it a sign something is awry with the drive?

It’s probably the drive physically spinning up and doing some health checks before it comes online. My Diskstation NAS will audibly spin up when I mount the share drive on it and Finder will sit connecting for 30s or so. 1-2 minutes feels long, but I’ve got 2TB drives so maybe it correlates with size?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
This is a wierd issue. I tried to create a 200GB bootcamp partition on my Ventura system and do a Windows 10 install. All good. Except the relevant partition failed to format in the Windows installer because it wasn't MBR. No problem. I removed the 200GB partition via Bootcamp Assistant. All good.

After I rebooted my system has gone from a 30 sec 'boot to desktop' to at least a couple of minutes. This isn't optimal. I did a couple of diskutil GUI repairs and all good, but same issue with boot time. Attached is my terminal-based diskutil output.

Both of these raise alarms with me. The APFS snapshot and internal HD numbers are just weird - and the GPT partitioning scheme. WTF?

Is there any way I can repair and rebuild my APFS container without re-installing my entire system?

Edit: I can only attach 1 image??!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

binarysmurf posted:

This is a wierd issue. I tried to create a 200GB bootcamp partition on my Ventura system and do a Windows 10 install. All good. Except the relevant partition failed to format in the Windows installer because it wasn't MBR. No problem. I removed the 200GB partition via Bootcamp Assistant. All good.

After I rebooted my system has gone from a 30 sec 'boot to desktop' to at least a couple of minutes. This isn't optimal. I did a couple of diskutil GUI repairs and all good, but same issue with boot time. Attached is my terminal-based diskutil output.

Both of these raise alarms with me. The APFS snapshot and internal HD numbers are just weird - and the GPT partitioning scheme. WTF?

Is there any way I can repair and rebuild my APFS container without re-installing my entire system?

Edit: I can only attach 1 image??!!

To be clear everything is normal after the abnormal boot, but all is not right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any reason why the iMessage screen sharing would just break for no reason? I used to be able to connect to my dad's MBP but now it keeps timing out.

It's not the internet connection on either end because we've tried it with different connections and it still times out. Both MBPs are on the latest update so it's not that either.

Is there anything I should look at to try and fix it? It's a real handy feature that we used all the time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Quackles posted:

Isn't it MAUI now?

Yes, but I have it on good authority that MAUI is a bit of a cluster and you'd be better off using Avalonia.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

I use IINA since vlc isn't optimized for poo poo for the specific platform, i suggest you give it a shot.

Thanks for recommending this- I had never heard of it and other than having to take some time to get used to a few different keyboard commands to learn it is the best player I've ever used.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

Yes, but I have it on good authority that MAUI is a bit of a cluster and you'd be better off using Avalonia.

Possibly a bit - I had to convert a Xamarin mobile app into it. I did have to find some workarounds for a few things (notably push notifications, as MAUI doesn't have native notification support so you have to fall back on Firebase or native APNS calls depending on the platforms)...

But I can also confirm they're actively working on improving MAUI. The transfer documentation got better day by day.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is there good free spreadsheet software, or at least decent software? Or is numbers my only option?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Libreoffice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is there good free spreadsheet software, or at least decent software? Or is numbers my only option?

Microsoft office is free if you use on the web on https://www.office.com

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Or use Google Docs, probably the best web-based option. There's also OnlyOffice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Criss-cross posted:

Or use Google Docs, probably the best web-based option. There's also OnlyOffice.

The office 365 online stuff has gotten REALLY good. I’ve pretty much switched over from the Google suite at this point and I’m very bought into google’s stuff.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Microsoft's web Office has way more issues editing (not displaying) more complex docx-Files than Google Docs, so depends on what you're doing. I think Google is the better option overall, especially with their macro support in Google Sheets which might be relevant to that poster.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think it’s weird to use web based solutions when something free and open source and fully featured like libreoffice exists. It’s far and away the gold standard for ‘office software that isn’t Microsoft office’.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

I think it’s weird to use web based solutions when something free and open source and fully featured like libreoffice exists. It’s far and away the gold standard for ‘office software that isn’t Microsoft office’.

Issue is with binary doc files, where the libreoffice file interpretation loves to mess with formatting, as long as you only use xml docx you won't notice tho.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Surely using doc files would be pretty niche these days? Docx and xlsx have been the default file formats of MS office for more than a decade.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

Surely using doc files would be pretty niche these days? Docx and xlsx have been the default file formats of MS office for more than a decade.

Eh, I'm still seeing them plenty of times since office won't change the format of a file that is binary.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don’t think I’ve seen a new .doc file in at least fifteen years.. I thought they were all but dead

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume local government still lives off Word 97 templates, by which I mean files that people right click -> copy and then edit

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a new .doc file in at least fifteen years.. I thought they were all but dead

Colleges and universities still cling to .DOC files.

My university uses them primarily and you are never allowed to use anything but Word. Ever.

The college has a new partnership with Microsoft after dropping Google. With Google, we were allowed to use Gmail and Google Docs. With Microsoft, it’s Word and Outlook forever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Colleges and universities still cling to .DOC files.

My university uses them primarily and you are never allowed to use anything but Word. Ever.

The college has a new partnership with Microsoft after dropping Google. With Google, we were allowed to use Gmail and Google Docs. With Microsoft, it’s Word and Outlook forever.

You can’t even use .docx, the standard file format in MS Word for what, 20 years now? Being sticklers about Word sucks but is understandable. Passing around term papers in last century’s format is pretty :psyduck: though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm not surprised Microsoft is moving into the educational space - they seem to have a chokehold with larger enterprise clients, but Google's collaboration tools are king at University where nobody wants to pay for anything.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Part of the reason Word / Office still reigns supreme in higher ed is that a lot of government bodies like NIH insist that you submit poo poo like proposals and grants to them in Word format only.

A lot of research depends on grants from the feds.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Office 365 is $7.99 a month and you get 1tb of cloud storage out of the deal too, if MS compatibility is a big worry.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arivia posted:

You can’t even use .docx, the standard file format in MS Word for what, 20 years now? Being sticklers about Word sucks but is understandable. Passing around term papers in last century’s format is pretty :psyduck: though.

Yeah.... .doc and .docx are open file formats... they might require that you use Word, but they probably won't notice if you output your file from another application other than Word.

I manipulate and save PDFs all day for work and I haven't used any of Adobe's Acrobat apps for over a decade at this point.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Arivia posted:

I've had some professors outright state in the syllabus that they want .DOC. It's honestly really weird.

Corb3t posted:

Yeah.... .doc and .docx are open file formats... they might require that you use Word, but they probably won't notice if you output your file from another application other than Word.

I manipulate and save PDFs all day for work and I haven't used any of Adobe's Acrobat apps for over a decade at this point.

My English Comp I professor was really adamant about not using Google Docs. He claimed that it "broke formatting" if you used Word to open a .DOCX created by Google Docs. I've heard the same from a student in my Information Systems Analysis so that line of thinking is spreading throughout the university, I think.

I'd say they're all weirdly bad at technology but that same student preferred to meet over Discord instead of Zoom for our group meetings so I'm giving him a pass. The professor was kind of awful though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have had a docx break when opening it locally vs in the cloud through 365. So their reasoning sounds valid to me.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a way to force apps to load into a certain Space? Whenever I reboot my Mac almost everything reopens in the first space and I need to move the windows around. I have Spaces setup for Personal stuff, development, work comms, and notes which generally have a certain set of app that should be there. The only one that breaks that is Chrome and I have different profiles for personal vs work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Isn't the legal profession still using WordPerfect on DOS because of some kind of auditing feature that doesn't exist in anything newer or is that no longer a thing?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

gariig posted:

Is there a way to force apps to load into a certain Space? Whenever I reboot my Mac almost everything reopens in the first space and I need to move the windows around. I have Spaces setup for Personal stuff, development, work comms, and notes which generally have a certain set of app that should be there. The only one that breaks that is Chrome and I have different profiles for personal vs work

You can set a given application to open in a specific space, ctrl+click the dock icon > options > and under assign to select "this desktop" (when you're on the right desktop).

You're free to move windows around afterwards, but when you open the app it'll switch to that space. So that seems like it does what you want except for your browser, which you'll have to move windows to the appropriate spaces to manually. You'll probably want to leave that one unset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Data Graham posted:

Isn't the legal profession still using WordPerfect on DOS because of some kind of auditing feature that doesn't exist in anything newer or is that no longer a thing?

Nope. It's because of templates. They built tonnes of legal documents into templates and they want to keep using them because no one wants to pay for them to be redone. (that being said, most wp offices are gone and no one actually uses it any more except for the 90yo neighbourhood lawyer who hasn't changed in 30 years.)