Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
do the spikes still kill you with the filters making everything all round and puffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

do the spikes still kill you with the filters making everything all round and puffy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

herculon posted:

Always been a bad habit for me with Mega Man games is I never use special weapons outside of boss fights

I can never be bothered working out what they're weak to, other than obvious stuff like "use homing missiles on the camouflage guy" or "use ice on the fire guy" it feels completely arbitrary lol. Use the rolling shield on the final boss's head. Of course. Sure

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

tmfc posted:

storm eagle's weapon also kills the big artillery turtles in one shot, if you get the angle and time it right you can kill a couple of them with one shot in sigma stage 1

It also one shots the eels and the boat guarding the heart tank in octopus stage.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

herculon posted:

Always been a bad habit for me with Mega Man games is I never use special weapons outside of boss fights

I do the same thing and I don’t know why

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

Same

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

same. Only broke free of it for the Launch Octopus miniboss herculon got stuck on, and the horrible vertical sections in Sigma stages

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i usually beat megaman games with buster only because its the default and thats how it should be but since ive beaten x1 several times i allowed myself to have fun with the weaons this time except in boss fights cause then theyre bullshit easy (except sigma gently caress sigma)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

welcome posted:

It also one shots the eels and the boat guarding the heart tank in octopus stage.

yes. kind of an OP weapon honestly, but it feels awesome to immediately kill the giant eels lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

: Beat the game
: Defeat Metatron
: Defeat Huang Long
: Defeat the Four Guardian Beasts

Woof. Guardian Beasts and Metatron weren't too much tougher than Fly Beelzebub, but Huang Long was on a whole other level.

Cool game. Like I said earlier, it's got a ton of style, the music is really good, and the press battle and fear systems are interesting. I think I like the limited number of skills you can have set at any given time - that plus the mantra system means you have to be really deliberate about how you go about building for a given fight - you don't have all the tools available that you might. Especially against these endgame bosses, one or two skills swapped out meant the difference between the fight being unwinnable or very easy.

The downside of the mantras especially though is that there's a ton of grinding required to get abilities that are farther away. This game definitely had more grinding than I prefer, especially for the endgame bosses. They're optional though so I can forgive it. If I were doing it again I'd probably be more intentional about making use of the field hunts to help mitigate the grind.

Nice pick, EE!

nicely done!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Shastahanshah posted:

: Finish the game
Nice try Sigma!

I think that's the first SNES game I've beaten. Not bad, there was some cool bosses (the gorilla face in sigma's castle was cool) but some of them were pretty mid. I don't play platformers too much so I don't think I'd play it again but it was cool to try something new.

It took me way too long to figure out how to get up the last elevator shaft to fight sigma lol.

welcome. your name is fun to type

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

It’s bc interactions in early games are really obtuse and nobody but t he autistic kid wants to play one game enough to find them

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

same

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's the way God intended

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

: Defeat Fly Beelzebub

This took a lot of grinding, and the fight was dreadful for me, having to cast Void death every loving round in the second phase. I think I am pretty underleveled for these optional bosses...sigh

copy
Jul 26, 2007

herculon posted:

fuckin same. also lol this place a buster-only support group

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

demifiend awaits (after i farm more hp essences)

i think im going to hit 99 lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

I forced myself not to this time lol.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

idk how you do most of the platforming sections without the armadillo shell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

i use it for th floating platforms in sigma 1 but otherwise i just tank hits with th armor

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

lots of tedious jumping and timing charged x-blaster shots, it's way harder than it needs to be lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i use it for th floating platforms in sigma 1 but otherwise i just tank hits with th armor

yeah after another imp pointed out using the armor on those i did that and i also used it when farming bats to fill tanks/get lives between sigma stages but otherwise i was buster-brained

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

agreed btw that all sigma stages kind of suck BUT i do like that they work the boss refight gauntlet into the stages instead of having the big teleporter room. feels cool nd a lot more natural

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yeah esp. since weapon energy fully replenishes between stages. early on i thought that wasn't the case for some reason but when i realized that wasn't true it was just momentum keeping me going with that

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

agreed btw that all sigma stages kind of suck BUT i do like that they work the boss refight gauntlet into the stages instead of having the big teleporter room. feels cool nd a lot more natural

100%

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

yeah I really like this too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

where are you farming at? nothing gives good exp for me anymore at level 60

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

where are you farming at? nothing gives good exp for me anymore at level 60

the tunnels by where you fight fly beelz. titania gives good karma/money, isis drops mp noise, arahabakis drop vital noise

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh yeah for anyone else going for demifiend don't waste your time with null elemental/null all/null phys etc, if you have any null skills besides null crit and null sleep demifiend gaea rages for 10000 damage lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

oh yeah for anyone else going for demifiend don't waste your time with null elemental/null all/null phys etc, if you have any null skills besides null crit and null sleep demifiend gaea rages for 10000 damage lol

I remember that from 20 years ago lol, its all coming back to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's absolutely no way I'm going for the Demi-Fiend

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mbt posted:

:letsgo:

Did you do the magic/vit/luck noise farm for the rest of the party or just play it normally and let them level? I'm farming magic noise solo at level 60 with everyone else around level 30 and trying to decide how obsessive to get lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mbt posted:

skill issue.

Fungah! posted:

yeah i think this was a callback to mega man 1 and it's cool. the teleporters in all the other games are boring and feel lazy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sourdough posted:

:letsgo:

Did you do the magic/vit/luck noise farm for the rest of the party or just play it normally and let them level? I'm farming magic noise solo at level 60 with everyone else around level 30 and trying to decide how obsessive to get lol

luck/magic only, really. you can get a ton of lucks very easily. those i did solo, the magic farm i kind of stopped caring but i still plan on finishing that out. serph is going to be 99 for sure, i want my other 2 at least in the 90s. vit noise farming is for the insane, but arahabakis are just barely common enough that i can see getting quite a few of those too. str/agi is unfarmable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mbt posted:

luck/magic only, really. you can get a ton of lucks very easily. those i did solo, the magic farm i kind of stopped caring but i still plan on finishing that out. serph is going to be 99 for sure, i want my other 2 at least in the 90s. vit noise farming is for the insane, but arahabakis are just barely common enough that i can see getting quite a few of those too. str/agi is unfarmable.

Yeah I got a decent amount of vit grinding mantras in the first playthrough, hopefully wasn't just good luck. I think it's still going to be a few days before I'm ready to try demifiend.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

get his rear end

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can never be bothered working out what they're weak to, other than obvious stuff like "use homing missiles on the camouflage guy" or "use ice on the fire guy" it feels completely arbitrary lol. Use the rolling shield on the final boss's head. Of course. Sure

you use the boomerang

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Flame Mammoth: Wind blows his fire out
Armored Armadillo: Electric spark gets through metal shielding
Sting Chameleon: Boomerang cuts off the tongue he's hanging from
Launch Octopus: Can't stop the momentum of the rolling shield because his tentacles are weak and there's nothing to brace against underwater.
Storm Eagle: Uh, the chameleon sting shards are aerodynamic
Spark Mandrill: I....

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

ice, the natural enemy of electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

ice, the natural enemy of electricity

ice doesn't conduct electricity