Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah, I didnt get it at first but then I was like holy poo poo I get it!!!! But now after a few 30min runs I'm done with it I think.

Neat little game but it will NOT be appearing on my goty list this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game successfully induces the same kind of enjoyment you got from detonating 25 remote mines in Goldeneye as your N64 seized from the sheer amount of awesomeness displayed onscreen.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Turn off the damage numbers and the game becomes a little more bearable to look at.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Never!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
turning the game off makes it even easier

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't played a single game yet this year, feels good man

I played like an hour of Shootas, Blood, and Teef before deciding I didn't like it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is a good video game video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQYaRJ7RIvc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why spend 30 mins mind numbingly watching numbers go up when I could play a JRPG?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rarity posted:

Why spend 30 mins mind numbingly watching numbers go up when I could play a JRPG?

Because the dialogue is more engaging than in a JRPG and the gameplay is just as mind numbingly enjoyable. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Didn't see a controller thread so I'll ask here.

Frustrated with my xbox one controllers that keep drifting after a few months and looking to replace them with hall effect ones. Yes, I can replace the pots every so often but that gets annoying. Is there a great hall effect controller that works well for PC games? What are your thoughts on these? I would use it for PC only.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joysticks-Vibration-Shooting-USB-C/dp/B0878QMPKH?th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Ultimate-B...c0-4513d670b6bc

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am playing God of War (2018). It is extremely good. It's got me thinking, who is the best videogame son/daughter? The only other game I can think of off the top of my head where the protagonist has a kid is Fallout 4, which is, alas, not in the running for Best Son.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The little girl from the Walking Dead adventures is a sweetheart!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island
All your weird children in Stardew Valley

That's all I got

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am playing God of War (2018). It is extremely good. It's got me thinking, who is the best videogame son/daughter? The only other game I can think of off the top of my head where the protagonist has a kid is Fallout 4, which is, alas, not in the running for Best Son.

The baby metroid

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aloy + Rost

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

The little girl from the Walking Dead adventures is a sweetheart!!

I mean yeah it's got to be Clementine. There's not much competition, but the way her relationship with Lee develops over the first episode clinches it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately then Walking Dead season 2 happens

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I started playing Nier

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I started playing Nier

don't be dissuaded by people saying the sidequests aren't important, the tedium is partly the point and they're the sources of some of the best dialogue and interactions in the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gripweed posted:

I started playing Nier

Good game op.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looper posted:

the tedium is partly the point

huh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dad Nier or get out

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also no way, brother nier owns and a lot of the dynamics as written make way more sense with him than dad nier

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Looper posted:

don't be dissuaded by people saying the sidequests aren't important, the tedium is partly the point and they're the sources of some of the best dialogue and interactions in the game

I guess you could say that skipping the sidequests is pretty Nier sighted

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

also no way, brother nier owns and a lot of the dynamics as written make way more sense with him than dad nier

Nah barbarian dad owns more

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Papa Nier is a craggy Gary Busey looking dude talking about friendship and it rules. Plus, it's always great to hear Jamieson Price.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked playing with dad nier but looking back I think he's lame for coming from the same mindset that basically cut emil being gay and downplayed kaine's stuff.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loaded up The Devil In Me (latest Supermassive Games hit) and I have to say, the way they keep underlining "EVERY CHOICE MATTERS! EVERY DECISION WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES!" is a real turn-off now!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's better to not emphasize this so when it does happen it's a cool moment for people to compare their playthroughs otherwise everyone gets insanely angry about two dialogue options being the same thing said differently or something

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's better to not emphasize this so when it does happen it's a cool moment for people to compare their playthroughs otherwise everyone gets insanely angry about two dialogue options being the same thing said differently or something

Jay Rust will remember this.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The peak of choices mattering was in the Telltale Big Bad Wolf game when you are at a bar with this guy Grendel and if you get drunk with him he passes out and you get the message "Grendel will not remember this"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

goated!!! goated!!!!!!!

rox
Sep 7, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeBkuEzaNDY

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pwnstar posted:

The peak of choices mattering was in the Telltale Big Bad Wolf game when you are at a bar with this guy Grendel and if you get drunk with him he passes out and you get the message "Grendel will not remember this"

The same series also had an interaction where you're had the option to "glass him" and quite a few people had a hilarious misunderstanding where they thought that meant clinking glasses together and toasting. It actually meant smashing a glass straight into a guy's face.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am playing Armored Core 2

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Draga posted:

Papa Nier is a craggy Gary Busey looking dude talking about friendship and it rules. Plus, it's always great to hear Jamieson Price.

:hai:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started playing Tunic, it’s real cute and a neat take on the Zelda 1 formula of dicking around a hostile mostly empty world combined with the whole strategy guide gimmick. Kinda wish the combat was more fluid since it’s trying to also homage Dark Souls but there’s accessibility options for invincibility and death seems pretty meaningless anyway so it’s not the end of the world.

im like 85% sure the stick is gonna have some cool secondary usage once I hit a certain point and unlock the instruction manual page for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you actually do everything in Tunic from the beginning, or do you only unlock abilities at the same time as you get the manual page for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Can you actually do everything in Tunic from the beginning, or do you only unlock abilities at the same time as you get the manual page for them?
the manual just exists to unlock 'information' but if you know that info already you can do a ton from the beginning

the game also has a number of hidden shortcut paths that can allow you to sequence break, it's neat