Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

sat on my keys! posted:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/01/10/breaking-cyclist-killed-on-unprotected-part-of-ninth-street-bike-lane-in-park-slope/

quote:

That stretch of roadway is a source of great angst for cyclists. Between Prospect Park and Third Avenue, cyclists have protected bike lanes on both sides of the roadway. But west of Third Avenue, where there is considerable truck traffic, neither side has a bike lane at all — a decision made by the Department of Transportation to preserve a small number of parking spaces.

This is the second cyclist killed by truck drivers within a week in NYC.

Those parking spaces are more valuable than cyclist blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

HARRISBURG – The Senate Transportation Committee voted Monday to approve legislation that would roll back the gas tax increase that took effect days ago.

Pennsylvania’s gas tax of 61.5 cents a gallon is the second highest in the nation, behind only California.

The rising price of gas triggered the 3.5 cents a gallon gas tax increase.

The proposal in Senate Bill 35 comes at a time when PennDOT has already parked three large interstate bridge projects that the department had planned to pay for using toll revenue.

Transportation Committee Chairman Sen. Wayne Langerholc, R-Cambria, estimates that the legislation will cost PennDOT about $225 million in lost revenue.

Sure, let's subsidize drivers to the tune of another $225m, why not

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Those parking spaces are more valuable than cyclist blood.

To be fair there are virtually no practical uses for cyclist blood.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sure, let's subsidize drivers to the tune of another $225m, why not

I'm tried of my tax dollars going to subsidize the wasteful and excessive lifestyle choices of other people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do any government people want to help me pay for food? No? OK

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

rode my bike today. 13 kilometers. january weather is nice
Ugh it meant all the crappy cyclists were out too. Running reds to pass me and then blocking the lane. :mad:

One was so loving erratic, he had no idea he was inches from being splattered by a bus that had to swerve to avoid him.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

teethgrinder posted:

Ugh it meant all the crappy cyclists were out too. Running reds to pass me and then blocking the lane. :mad:

One was so loving erratic, he had no idea he was inches from being splattered by a bus that had to swerve to avoid him.

You want the bitch about cyclists thread. There’s probably one in gbs.

Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I'm tried of my tax dollars going to subsidize the wasteful and excessive lifestyle choices of other people

gas should absolutely be taxed more

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

teethgrinder posted:

lmfao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

That's how I know tourist season is in full swing. I'm not far from the beach so a lot of where I live is designed to be cycle-friendly (to the extent that it can be in the US) with bike lanes even in the back neighborhoods off the main roads and they're generally used as intended but some of the most reckless cyclist behavior I see casually correlates with the annual increase in density of license plates with Je Me Souviens on them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Je Me Souviens

is this French for "Salt Life"?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is this French for "Salt Life"?

Well gently caress it is now

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Loucks posted:

You want the bitch about cyclists thread. There’s probably one in gbs.
Meh I'm one of them. I just selfishly love having private lanes in winter.

edit: oh gently caress my avatar :(

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gas should absolutely be taxed more

Gonna disagree with you there, it should be banned. Gotta have both sides of the argument.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the gas tax should be precisely one thousand dollars per gallon

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

not sure how to feel about further disadvantaging through regressive taxing people who have to drive a bunch of spacetime from affordable housing to unaffordable workplace

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

not sure how to feel about further disadvantaging through regressive taxing people who have to drive a bunch of spacetime from affordable housing to unaffordable workplace

this situation only exists because driving was heavily subsidized to begin with

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

the gas tax should be precisely one thousand dollars per gallon

probably close to the actual cost accounting for all the externalized costs afflicted on the earth and all her children

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this situation only exists because driving was heavily subsidized to begin with

well yeah but to undo it are we gonna give them money or just start the taxing and see where it lands ?

Apr 7, 2003

The sprawl problem will only go away when it becomes too expensive for Americans to drive an average of 40-50 miles a day.

We created that problem by subsidizing the driving and by subsidizing the artificial country estates that we moved white people to in the post-WW2 era.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

well yeah but to undo it are we gonna give them money or just start the taxing and see where it lands ?
At some point you have to get people out of unsustainable living situations somehow. Otherwise you're just going to be subsidizing car dependent living.

Idk maybe build a poo poo ton of commie blocks to move truck drivers to.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
start burning cars

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Most white Americans would sacrifice their first born child if it meant they didn't have to interact with black people on a regular basis. How can we convince people to move to urban areas in a country that specifically went out of it's way to defacto and dejure segregate people based on race?

Apr 7, 2003

The United States put itself in a relatively unique situation by channeling white people into fake country estates post-WW2 and then subsidizing business to move to those country estates at the expense of already developed areas. So now some of the most desirable places to live in America are these artificial country estates, the country has spent eighty years using racial animus to poo poo on urbanized areas, and it's going to be very difficult to overcome generations of propaganda and revert our living patterns.

mystes
May 31, 2006

His Purple Majesty posted:

Most white Americans would sacrifice their first born child if it meant they didn't have to interact with black people on a regular basis. How can we convince people to move to urban areas in a country that specifically went out of it's way to defacto and dejure segregate people based on race?
Randomly assign children to parents

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cities have successfully been rehabilitated in a lot of people's minds, but the housing shortage, low gas prices, lack of alternative transportation, etc. mean that even people who want to live in the city move to the suburbs anyway.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cities have successfully been rehabilitated in a lot of people's minds, but the housing shortage, low gas prices, lack of alternative transportation, etc. mean that even people who want to live in the city move to the suburbs anyway.

A> Cities were sorta rehabilitated but housing wasn't expanded in any meaningful way in most of them
B> Around here people who "love the city" and "want to live the city lifestyle" make a fuckin' beeline for the suburban (white) school districts the minute they have kids, and I doubt that's restricted to here.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cities have successfully been rehabilitated in a lot of people's minds,

no way. if anything, the polarization has been made permanent. as of the past few years, the suburb dwellers i know would go the rest of their lives without visiting a city if they could

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would definitely live in a denser part of houston (lmao) if it was affordable to do so, unfortunately even a 1200 sqft bungalow is like a million dollars now

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

all cars must be destroyed

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i would definitely live in a denser part of houston (lmao) if it was affordable to do so, unfortunately even a 1200 sqft bungalow is like a million dollars now

lol Houston was the last big city I could think of where people would talk about how housing was affordable

if it's dead there it's dead everywhere I guess

Apr 7, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

no way. if anything, the polarization has been made permanent. as of the past few years, the suburb dwellers i know would go the rest of their lives without visiting a city if they could

Social media around here straight up tells people that if they put their kids in the city schools here they're committing child abuse

(the pittsburgh city school district has better outcomes than the rural school district I grew up in lol)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol Houston was the last big city I could think of where people would talk about how housing was affordable

if it's dead there it's dead everywhere I guess

oh there are still plenty of affordable homes - i just looked on zillow and saw a 4/4 3k sqft house going for 300k - but you have live in the middle of loving nowhere and drive everywhere

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is 300k what's considered an "affordable" home now. Is this like "access to affordable healthcare"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is 300k what's considered an "affordable" home now. Is this like "access to affordable healthcare"

heres one for under 200k, very far away from everything: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6440-Alisa-Ln-408-Houston-TX-77084/28377934_zpid/ not as big though

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
There were actually affordable homes in Houston within the 610 loop until the fracking boom in 2010s. Now even a dilapidated bungalow is over $400k. You can find a cheaper home in an outlying suburb, but you're not in the city anymore. Or you're probably near something that will give you cancer, like a concrete batch plant. Rust Belt cities are much more affordable, like Pittsburgh.

It's weird to think of Houston as the 4th largest city of the US. It really doesn't compare to NY City, Chicago, or LA.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Great angst for cyclists: people keep dying
Great angst for drivers: nowhere to park

Truly these are the same.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Great angst for cyclists: people keep dying
Great angst for drivers: nowhere to park

Truly these are the same.
Only the driver angst counts actually

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

oh I'm sorry I just thought about the freaking cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For the record, I hate cars and the context of my whine was mostly that the bike infrastructure is so terrible. In the case of the cyclist that almost killed himself, he dropped off the curb of what passes for a separated bike lane in Toronto (Sherbourne for locals) to pass someone without looking, directly into the path of a bus that had to swerve to avoid splattering him.

I'm also pissed that the office my company just moved into (Sugar Beach) has ruined the old lake shore MUP by essentially forcing pedestrians onto it. The new buildings basically use the MUP as a sidewalk when there used to be distinct routes for pedestrians and cyclists. Never mind the loving billion dollar expressway rehab/realignment has destroyed the MUP connection to the east for minimum three more years assuming no delays. :lol::lol::lol:

This new office should have been a beautiful glorious bike ride, but somehow everything has gotten far worse in the last few years.

teethgrinder has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Jan 11, 2023