Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they’ll still get obliterated by the yankees in the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Vertical Lime posted:

they’ll still get obliterated by the yankees in the playoffs

Correa deserves to eat poo poo against the Yankees every year for the rest of his career.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
lmao correa parlayed two massive contract offers from the giants and mets into an extension with the Twins, i love this dumb sport

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Johnny Bravo posted:

lmao correa parlayed two massive contract offers from the giants and mets into an extension with the Twins, i love this dumb sport

That's one way of looking at it I guess.

I don't think both the Mets AND Giants medical staffs are that incompetent.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wonder if the Cubs are regretting signing Dansby right now if that's all it took to get Correa.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1612867690774892556

Gotta take this with a grain of salt, but, the Mets wanted SIX years of vesting options? drat

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

MLB Offseason: Mom said it's my turn with the Correa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The smart people thing that people on Twitter have been saying about it is that NYM and SFG were having difficulty finding an insurer willing to underwrite a policy on the contract given the ankle uncertainty. I didn't even know that you could do that but it sounds right.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

zoux posted:

The smart people thing that people on Twitter have been saying about it is that NYM and SFG were having difficulty finding an insurer willing to underwrite a policy on the contract given the ankle uncertainty. I didn't even know that you could do that but it sounds right.

It's pretty much standard with megadeals these days, but can lead to some weird circumstances like keeping a player sidelined the last couple of weeks vs getting a few at bats in since if they step on the field there's no payout- or Prince Fielder as a more recent example where he couldn't retire or be released without losing the insurance payout on his deal after his neck exploded. Eventually they cut a deal with the insurance company to be able to remove him from the 40 man. https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/10/4/16423502/texas-rangers-release-prince-fielder-mlb-transactions

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Teams insure players' contracts for injury all the time (high-level college football players have also previously insured themselves against injury banking on future NFL earnings but that's less of an issue now NIL is a thing)

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1612711710888009729

thanks ben

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1612867690774892556

Gotta take this with a grain of salt, but, the Mets wanted SIX years of vesting options? drat

I mean the bigger takeaway there seems like its probably that they were offering 40m+ less for the 6 years.

Ultimately the Twins deal might just stick because the end result of this is Correa went from a 10+ year deal to 6 year deal and $350M to $200M. So the Mets and the Twins seemed only willing to take the risk on "a short term" basis.

Or that insurance thing. I'm not smart so I don't know.

Oh gently caress, that rear end in a top hat's in NY now, isn't he? That didn't even occur to me.

My head hurts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Does Minnesota have a state income tax

He's not going to net much more than we offered him, ffs. Aaron Judge bet on himself and won, Correa bet on himself and lost.

Yes, Minnesota has state income tax, and it's not exactly light. Cheaper than California or New York, I'm willing to bet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Yes, Minnesota has state income tax, and it's not exactly light. Cheaper than California or New York, I'm willing to bet.

So he's gonna net less than the Astros offer, since he'll probably be paying more than $1.2m in state income tax.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

rickiep00h posted:

Highest tax bracket percentages:
MN: 9.85%
NY: 10.9%
CA: 12.3%

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Considering he was on the Twins this past year including when the ankle "reinjury" occurred, their medical staff ought to be very familiar with his status so it seems harder to believe the physical could tank this deal now but who knows

we fired like our entire medical staff

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

we fired like our entire medical staff

Yeah if I remember right, we had a bunch of guys that had absolutely no rehab regimen or anything, which explains a lot, really.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Conspiracy Theory: MLB is real mad at the Mets for blowing past the Cohen Tax so they absolutely would not approved the Correa deal and are using the physical as cover

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm honestly happy for Correa and Twins / Twins fans. I think it's a good win-win on a crappy scenario. Correa gets to go back to a fanbase that adored him last year and welcomed him with open arms with a solid payout, and the Twins get a franchise player locked down on a somewhat reasonable deal for six years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarinoMLB/status/1612864080699871232

lmao

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
what possible reason would manny have to leave

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Manny Machado wants Many Morecheddar

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

big money machado

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

John McClane posted:

a lot more money

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think he’s worse than Bob now

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Owners colluding to destroy Boras’ reputation and influence imho

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lol. Lmao

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I wonder if Al Avila would have signed Correa to that 10/275 deal he offered last season.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Twins still bad, but they needed something to get fans excited. That's basically it for the off-season, just gotta wait till spring training.

I chose to ignore Bauer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

John McClane posted:

He'd get 5/160 the rest of the way after next year if he doesn't opt out. Meanwhile Boegarts - who is the same age as Manny and not as good a player - got 11/280 in FA this offseason. Even if he ultimately stays with the Padres, Machado is absolutely gonna opt out because he should be able to come close to doubling his money.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

John McClane posted:

The search for more money

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

So he's gonna net less than the Astros offer, since he'll probably be paying more than $1.2m in state income tax.

Lol no
He's not losing 75 million in state income taxes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Rest of the deal:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1612896614774865920

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a club option? That's a six year deal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lol no
He's not losing 75 million in state income taxes

Had he signed the Astros deal he'd stand to make 32m this year. With the Twins he stands to make 33.3m. His tax bill in Texas would've been zero, in MN it'll be around 3 million. Which deal nets Carlos Correa more money?

BTW Correa has only ever had >575 ABs once in his career - in his sophomore season.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 10, 2023

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

zoux posted:

It's a club option? That's a six year deal.

Years 7-10 are guaranteed if he gets enough PAs. If he doesn't, then they become club options.

e: It's PAs, not ABs, according to the other sources.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
unrelated to Correa but when do 2023 schedules come out? I'm planning on going to NYC for the first time in September and would happily catch a Mets and/or Yankees game if one's available

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Years 7-10 are guaranteed if he gets enough PAs. If he doesn't, then they become club options.

e: It's PAs, not ABs, according to the other sources.

Well he's only done that three times.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/1612897425303248898

That's basically a UCL procedure so see you in six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

fast cars loose anus posted:

unrelated to Correa but when do 2023 schedules come out? I'm planning on going to NYC for the first time in September and would happily catch a Mets and/or Yankees game if one's available

Like six months ago heh