Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

It's a club option? That's a six year deal.

Had he signed the Astros deal he'd stand to make 32m this year. With the Twins he stands to make 33.3m. His tax bill in Texas would've been zero, in MN it'll be around 3 million. Which deal nets Carlos Correa more money?

BTW Correa has only ever had >575 ABs once in his career - in his sophomore season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

fast cars loose anus posted:

unrelated to Correa but when do 2023 schedules come out? I'm planning on going to NYC for the first time in September and would happily catch a Mets and/or Yankees game if one's available

https://www.mlb.com/mets/schedule/2023-09/list?partnerId=redirect-nym-schedule

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Poque posted:

Like six months ago heh

oh

cool

thanks

e: oh good there's yankee games the week I'll be there

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Correa stuff at this point feels like waiting until December 26th to go get all the Christmas Candy at a nice discount.

Preferably dark chocolate that goes straight in the freezer.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah the Twins made out like bandits on this whole saga.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Surely they mean PAs not ABs

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

Had he signed the Astros deal he'd stand to make 32m this year. With the Twins he stands to make 33.3m. His tax bill in Texas would've been zero, in MN it'll be around 3 million. Which deal nets Carlos Correa more money?

BTW Correa has only ever had >575 ABs once in his career - in his sophomore season.

I think you end up paying income tax in the states you are playing at the time, so it won't be zero in Texas and it won't be the full amount of where you are based. Its weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good lord that sucks. Well, not for their accountants, I guess everyone wins. Anyway, yeah it's for state taxes, I wonder if they just use game check amounts or what. What if you had a rest day, do you still have to pay? How many innings count for a pitcher win pitcher tax.

However, playing half your games in a state with no income tax instead of half your games in a state with a significant one, that's going to be a pretty significant difference in net earnings.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's just team games in each state where you were on the active roster, individual playing time does not matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that's not any fun.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'd just like to remind everyone, in case anyone could have somehow possibly forgotten:

https://twitter.com/BasebaIlKing/status/1612098557997355008

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best tax scenario for a player is to play for one of the Mariners, Astros, or Rangers. You get 81 home games a year in a state with no income tax + another 19-20 away games vs two other division members who don't have a state income tax either.

Likewise the worst tax scenario would be playing for one of the Dodgers or Giants, since you play 81 home games in the highest income tax state by quite a bit + another 9-10 vs an in-state division rival.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

He made 35 million last year, after he rejected the Astros. So 7 years/235 million is his guarantee so far. And like others have said that's not actually how athlete's pay taxes.

He also got some in signing bonuses. Like its probably a 1-1.5 million a year difference in taxes. So lets say 10 million. And he got an additional 75 total over the 7 years (last year plus Twins contract). Regardless of how this offseason went, he still did way better than what the Astros offered.

Hell even at the entire 3 million you are putting out there he still gets an additional 54 million.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 10, 2023

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
SAS regulars realizing abolishing their state’s income tax could help make the Home Team’s FA offers more competitive

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Redeye Flight posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone, in case anyone could have somehow possibly forgotten:

Not a single Raul Ibañez spike?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also put Brett Phillips on the game cover, specifically doing this.

Edit: Oh he was just signed to the Angels?? Are they ever gonna produce or just keep wasting all the good and fun players.

Dammit, he was the perfect Ray: no bat, all glove, all fun!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kenny G face punch lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

SAS regulars realizing abolishing their state’s income tax could help make the Home Team’s FA offers more competitive

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GalacticAcid posted:

Florida has no income tax (we tax the hell out of hotels and tourism) and this hasn’t helped the Rays!!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Not a single Raul Ibañez spike?
There were a couple of faceplants in there but this is another classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSW8XULgV8M

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Athletes care a lot less about the no income tax thing than fans/commentators. Or at least that’s how it looks

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Athletes care a lot less about the no income tax thing than fans/commentators. Or at least that’s how it looks
Well yeah because that only matters for half of the games that you play, and for endorsement deals I think it depends on either where you do the endorsements or where the company is based.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Redeye Flight posted:

baseball ftw

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

lmao

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I'm not sure if Falvine knew it would play out this way based on last year's physical or if they came into this hoping for luck to save them and just happened to get it. If I were them I would never tell.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

maruhkati posted:

I'm not sure if Falvine knew it would play out this way based on last year's physical or if they came into this hoping for luck to save them and just happened to get it. If I were them I would never tell.
The best magicians never reveal their secrets.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Mostly because when you're making that much money the marginal difference in taxes has no material impact on your life whereas things like the weather in your new home city, how close it is to family/friends etc does.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How’s the weather in Minneapolis

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I hear the summers are great!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know a lot of athletes off season wherever they come from and don't usually live in the city they play in right?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Mostly because when you're making that much money the marginal difference in taxes has no material impact on your life whereas things like the weather in your new home city, how close it is to family/friends etc does.
Also if they have a halfway-competent accountant they'll be able to minimize their tax outlay no matter where they live.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers routinely pay Kershaw a significant portion of his contract via signing bonus, which counts in his off season home state of Texas and thus is not subject to state income taxes. Big Brain Kershaw taking one-year deals to minimize his tax liability.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers routinely pay Kershaw a significant portion of his contract via signing bonus, which counts in his off season home state of Texas and thus is not subject to state income taxes. Big Brain Kershaw taking one-year deals to minimize his tax liability.
And then on the other hand you had those athletes who took portions of their salary in Dogecoin or some poo poo like that.

bawfuls posted:

the weather in your new home city, how close it is to family/friends etc does.
I think this matters more in the cross-year sports where players have to live in the cities that employ them during the winter. Signing for the Twins and living there during the summer is a completely different matter than signing for the Timberwolves and having to live in Minneapolis during January.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JJFromTheBronx/status/1612544125542211608

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe not the weather but the baseball season is 6 full months and some players clearly care about being closer to home, extended family, where there kids go to school/have friends, etc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crazy Ted posted:

Well yeah because that only matters for half of the games that you play, and for endorsement deals I think it depends on either where you do the endorsements or where the company is based.

Also when you get paid like them you can afford the guys who just do legal tax fraud on your behalf anyway.

EDIT: Ah, there was much more page to scroll down.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

This is one of my favorite plays ever - Altuve should be out by a mile. Love you forever Gary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYrrics0xs

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

You know a lot of athletes off season wherever they come from and don't usually live in the city they play in right?

Feels like you always hear about free agents considering the Diamondbacks because they already live around Phoenix.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

And then on the other hand you had those athletes who took portions of their salary in Dogecoin or some poo poo like that.

Pretty sure every instance of an athlete or Eric Adams doing some performative bullshit like that just means they bought a certain amount or maybe worked with a 3rd party to do the conversion automatically. No one is getting directly paid in crypto, especially as far as the IRS is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure every instance of an athlete or Eric Adams doing some performative bullshit like that just means they bought a certain amount or maybe worked with a 3rd party to do the conversion automatically. No one is getting directly paid in crypto, especially as far as the IRS is concerned.

Ohtani's one flaw is he was associated with FTX and took payment in crypto currencies.