Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

No Wave posted:

Surfer technically beats leader but not his best friend leech. If thats what you mean. If leader copies your surfer it should be giving you more points than the opponent, but you also just plain lose to leech.

Yea I actually swapped out Scorp for DD which has honestly worked better than I thought it would. Saves me from Leech, Hobgoblin's, my nemesis Wong. While also helping me not overcommit with Storm and forcing me to learn that my dumbass should have been fighting for priority harder than previous

doingitwrong posted:

You goal is to be even to ahead on 5 and then on 6 you play a 0/3 that benefits your side of the board more than theirs because you have more 3 cost cards than they do. If you are worried about Leech/Leader then yeah play surfer on 5. But now you must be ahead going into 6 because they are going to Mirror you +3 stats on 6. But, you just played a bunch of stats on 5 and they played 3 stats. If you have not managed this, you retreat.

If you are a Sera surfer deck, probably do not wait until 6 to play Brood because they really benefit from that. Something else you can be on the lookout for is where can you play on 6 that they can't benefit from, like can you play Brood on 6 into a lane where they already have 2-3 cards?

You are also trying to get things like Bishop/Angela down before 6 so that it can grow on the last turn but they can't.

Thank you both ill try and get ahead and stay ahead. That seems to be a big factor here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think the best change they can do for the shop is keep Series 3 at 1000 tokens while making series 4 be 2000 tokens and series 5 be 3000, especially if they want to make this game last longer and now that tokens in reserves are set to 200-600 no matter the collection.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hope going forwards the obvious two/three best decks in the game arent totally reliant on series 5 (shuri, darkhawk, surfer). There isnt a token price where that will be ok.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as long as the pattern is 'new season pass every month, and the new card with the season pass goes to s4/5 once the month's over' they're going to keep making good cards to incentivise people to buy the pass

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Next two bundles were leaked, if anyone is pooling gold for the next bundle. The other bundle actually seems like a decent deal? Maybe? Probably worth $5

Though no tokens, these both seem reasonable to me, especially the $5 one.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Here's my Luke's Bar story:

I had the "give each player a random card" in the right lane give me a Quake. By turn 6 I was ahead in Luke's Bar in the middle lane and slightly ahead in the left lane. I had two beefy bodies in the right lane with Quake but I wasn't gonna win that one, so my gambit was to play Arnim in the right lane and hopefully get one of the beefy bodies into the other two lanes. He randomly picks Quake and drops her in the middle and left lane. She shuffles the locations and puts Luke's Bar in the left lane. I had priority so all of this happened before my opponent's cards revealed. They played all of their cards in the left lane, but that lane was now Luke's Bar and their entire play went back to their hands.

So a random Quake, randomly selected by Arnim, randomly moves Luke's Bar to the lane my opponent chose to attack.

Sandwolf posted:

Sunspot bundle honestly looking like a great deal compared to the two this week

That Pro bundle is probably intentionally bad. It's always around so it becomes a value anchor. Any other offer now looks much better and people will think they are clever for picking up the "good deal."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

cgeq posted:

That Pro bundle is probably intentionally bad. It's always around so it becomes a value anchor. Any other offer now looks much better and people will think they are clever for picking up the "good deal."
It's a long term plan. To piss you off whenever you see it in the shop. Until eventually you just buy it one day justifying to yourself that you're just getting it out of the way.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Waffleopolis posted:

I think the best change they can do for the shop is keep Series 3 at 1000 tokens while making series 4 be 2000 tokens and series 5 be 3000, especially if they want to make this game last longer and now that tokens in reserves are set to 200-600 no matter the collection.

What? That's not true. (Well, unless I missed something.)

You only got the 400 tokens once you were pool 3 complete, as a replacement when you would normally get a pool 3 card. This will now be between 200 and 600.

The 100 tokens you sometimes (1 in 4 reserves) get when you're still in pool 3 is still there.

No Wave posted:

It's a long term plan. To piss you off whenever you see it in the shop. Until eventually you just buy it one day justifying to yourself that you're just getting it out of the way.

You guys see a bundle in the shop? Huh, it's not there for me. Weird. :thunk:

uXs fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 11, 2023

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

No Wave posted:

This works a lot better for $3 intro packs than $100 ones.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

It's incredible that they made one of the most approachable and casual games all about a ranked currency that means nothing and players think that matters more than the actual card game. Cubes and snapping is a cool idea, but in a best of one system they are meaningless other than for players to feel like they are making progression outside the games. If they ever get around to implementing the best of 3/first to 10 cubes competitive mode it will be a much better system. But until then, no, I don't think cube gain is an insightful metric to discuss card balance.
tournaments (if they ever do that) will have to be based on accumulating cubes, there's WAY too much variance on a game-to-game basis for it to be based on simple head to head or even best of X matchups, everyone brings up poker which is valid but backgammon is a good comp too

cube gain is probably the only meaningful way to measure card balance

wyoak fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 11, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ There's an invitational tournament coming in February with most of the top streamers. KMBest is the only big name I can think of who isn't going - he was invited, but he can't travel.

Kaddish posted:

Though no tokens, these both seem reasonable to me, especially the $5 one.

The Devil Dino bundle is just a free variant and title. The Jubilee bundle is the best value outside the Cap starter bundle, so it's probably a typo.

Coq au Nandos posted:

The developers might be nice people but whoever’s running their monetisation is a oval office.

That would be Nuverse.

E: Oh, and as nobody mentioned it: the next Season Pass card is MODOK. 5/8 On Reveal: Discard your hand.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

Technically Hawkeye and Squirrel Girl both meet the description of "1/3 with conditional drawback".
I've been working all day so I'm just now catching up.

That's a great point.

Squirrel Girl is great for going wide, which is mostly good for Sanctum Sanctorum, Death's Domain or Luke's Bar. She's also good for making Death cheap, and maybe a few other things. Definitely a "depends on the deck and situation" card.

Hawkeye is a 1/1 who gets +2 if you play in his lane next turn. Which you can't always do. But a few examples: Hawkeye into Maw is a 2/10, but you can't play anymore cards in the lane. Into Lizard is a 3/8, but loses 3 power if there are 4 opponents. Maximus is a 4/10, but the opponent draws cards. And a dozen other examples.

Blade is a 1/3 and discards a card. He has all the same interactions as Hawkeye, except Blade is still a 1/3 if you have no cards to discard. He doesn't need to meet any conditions, and his strength isn't lessened by Leech or Cosmo.

Zero is a 1/3 who acts like Leech but on the next card you play. So Maw lets you keep playing cards, or Lizard doesn't lose strength, or Maximus doesn't draw cards. Or Red Skull doesn't give ~+8 to the opposing lane, or Destroyer doesn't kill everything. Does he work with Infinaut? Can you play a full turn 5 with Zero and drop Infinaut on 6? Even if not, he's still kind of broken.

Speaking of conditional 1 drops, why does Ant Man become a 1/4. What makes him so special?

Sandwolf posted:

Next two bundles were leaked, if anyone is pooling gold for the next bundle. The other bundle actually seems like a decent deal? Maybe? Probably worth $5

If that's real, I'd spend $5 on basically 900 credits.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The poker comparison falls flat when every game happens in a vacuum and so bluffs and folds are meaningless to the next game against a different opponent. You don’t ever run out of cubes to bet. There are no actual stakes when it’s all best of one.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

uXs posted:

What? That's not true. (Well, unless I missed something.)

You only got the 400 tokens once you were pool 3 complete, as a replacement when you would normally get a pool 3 card. This will now be between 200 and 600.

The 100 tokens you sometimes (1 in 4 reserves) get when you're still in pool 3 is still there.

Oooh I misread it as they were merging the 100 drop and 400 drop to be 200-600 from now on. My mistake. Still think the series 4/5 prices need to be reduced.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

The poker comparison falls flat when every game happens in a vacuum and so bluffs and folds are meaningless to the next game against a different opponent. You don’t ever run out of cubes to bet. There are no actual stakes when it’s all best of one.
bluffing isn't really as big a part of poker as you might think, especially (lower stakes) online poker and variants that aren't no-limit, but that's why I brought up backgammon. The snap/retreat mechanic is essential so that skill (or better decks, whichever you prefer) can emerge over the long term while the results of a single game are probably, idk, 60% luck? I'd also guess that bluffing could emerge as a valid tactic in tournament play, which again is pretty similar to online poker (like, don't bluff at all if you're playing low stakes, someone will look you up)

yeah, there isn't really a "lose" condition, but that's like saying it's impossible for someone to be good at free online poker because there are no actual stakes

edit: what does happen if you lose all your cubes? Does the game just give you another 8 to potentially lose?

wyoak fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 11, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ You can't lose all your cubes. There's a rank floor at 10 and another at 100.

Walla posted:

Speaking of conditional 1 drops, why does Ant Man become a 1/4. What makes him so special?

If that's real, I'd spend $5 on basically 900 credits.

Ant-Man's condition is harder to achieve, and can be undone if a card in his lane is moved or destroyed.

The Jubilee bundle is 1125 credits, BTW, not 900. G:CR is 4:5, not the other way round.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Walla posted:

Zero is a 1/3 who acts like Leech but on the next card you play. So Maw lets you keep playing cards, or Lizard doesn't lose strength, or Maximus doesn't draw cards. Or Red Skull doesn't give ~+8 to the opposing lane, or Destroyer doesn't kill everything. Does he work with Infinaut? Can you play a full turn 5 with Zero and drop Infinaut on 6? Even if not, he's still kind of broken.

Zero does not work with Infinaut, at least not in a play Zero T5, Infinaut T6 way.

Zero only effects the next card you play, and you can’t play Infinaut if you’ve played something the turn before. You could do Zero T4, nothing T5, Infinaut T6, but then you haven’t gained anything.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Walla posted:

No because he doesn't lose his text until you play him. if you somehow played Zero->Infininaut into Cloning Vats, THEN you would have a copy of Infininaut in your hand with no text and no restrictions.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Crini posted:

Zero does not work with Infinaut, at least not in a play Zero T5, Infinaut T6 way.

Zero only effects the next card you play, and you can’t play Infinaut if you’ve played something the turn before. You could do Zero T4, nothing T5, Infinaut T6, but then you haven’t gained anything.

I figured this out when I thought I was a genius playing Wave into Infinaut.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

>:-) I just got Brood, he seems like he’s in a lot of things, but he easily slots into Patriot decks and Surfer decks, correct? Anything else he’s big in?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

>:-) I just got Brood, he seems like he’s in a lot of things, but he easily slots into Patriot decks and Surfer decks, correct? Anything else he’s big in?

Cerebro can be good but a lot less consistent than those two

Also don't forget forge into brood

poe meater fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 11, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zero is broken is a hilarious take

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Cerebro3 really feels like "silver surfer, but worse"
. Too much fucks with power, scorpion is almost an instant retreat and locations can just destroy your main win condition. Brood's existence means you can't even be functionally wider than the SS decks. About the only thing that works is putting cosmo down in front of SS but it's hard keeping priority around a deck that can play brood, Mr Fantastic, and Maximus while you are trying to make sure none of the locations remain intrinsically hateful to your deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Cerebro 2 keeps showing up as a meta deck but it's just worse than surfer or patriot in every way. Even when you get the cerebro/mystique combo you feel weak.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So Shuri = 99% taskmaster and/or zola right?

obvs after whatever card they embiggen

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's also the sneaky shuri -> goblin/hob -> galactus deck

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh goddamn I havent even seen that. Guess either way the answer is lucky guess priority cosmo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

Oh goddamn I havent even seen that. Guess either way the answer is lucky guess priority cosmo
Yeah it's dumb. Just a not running Aero tax.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I feel like they designed themselves into a bit of a corner with how dependent the game is on Cosmo to keep uh… pretty much everything in check.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

BGrifter posted:

I feel like they designed themselves into a bit of a corner with how dependent the game is on Cosmo to keep uh… pretty much everything in check.

2 energy 2 power “This card flips and counters the next On Reveal played here” or something could bring some variety to the “stopping on reveal” idea

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Sandwolf posted:

2 energy 2 power “This card flips and counters the next On Reveal played here” or something could bring some variety to the “stopping on reveal” idea

I was thinking along similar lines. Print a Cosmo at a bunch of other costs with different stat lines and drawbacks.

Create a situation where everyone devotes 1-2 slots of their deck to the Cosmo that best suits their build. Maybe even rebalance the regular Cosmo to make the limited versions more palatable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BGrifter posted:

They’ve hit an insane power level really quickly given the amount of resource cheating and recursion effects like Sera Lockjaw Zabu Absorbing Man Mystique etc.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

BGrifter posted:

It does kind of suck that either Cosmo or Storm is pretty much required in every deck.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Need a card that turns a location into Bar with No Name

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Walla posted:

It does kind of suck that either Cosmo or Storm is pretty much required in every deck.

That’s not my experience at all. Cosmo is great but shows up in only a handful of the top decks. Mostly the control decks or Surfer.

Storm is only an optional also ran in three decks here:
https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-metagame-tier-list-january-9th-2023/

The rest of the decks are too busy playing out their gameplan to spend valuable turns disrupting the opponent.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Actually glad full on control is lacking points and not all that good for that reason

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Marvel Snap Discord posted:

Get Ready For The Drop

It’s been a couple months since we introduced Series 4 and Series 5 cards, and we’re excited about our first-ever Series Drop! With every Series Drop, some Series 5 cards will move to Series 4, and some Series 4 cards will move to Series 3.

Series 5 cards that will move to Series 4:
● Valkyrie
● Super-Skrull
● Bast
● Shuri
● Black Panther

Series 4 cards that will move to Series 3:
● Luke Cage
● Absorbing Man
● She-Hulk
● Titania

When cards drop Series, they become 10x more common in Collector’s Reserves, and much cheaper in the Token Shop.

We look forward to doing a Series Drop every month! Series Drops currently require a patch, so the exact date and time may vary. The patch with this Series Drop (and the ability to Battle friends!) is currently planned for January 31st, though if we run into last minute issues we may choose to delay for a little longer to make sure things work correctly.

When choosing which cards to drop, we will often start with some of the ones that have been in that Series the longest. That is, except for…

The Big Bads
All cards will eventually become easy to obtain through enough Series Drops. However, there are currently two cards that we do not plan to drop down a series: Our favorite 6-Cost supervillains, Thanos and Galactus. They’re just too dang epic.

Introducing “First Edition”
We’re excited to announce a new feature that we’re working on: First Edition Badges! If you acquire a Series 5 card before it moves down a Series, that card will show a “First Edition Badge” when you inspect it. It’s a way to show that you got the card when it was brand new. This feature will take us some time to build, but our goals are to retroactively apply First Edition Badges to cards earned before the feature comes online AND to show the Badge on all variants and Infinity Splits of the card!

Token Shop Improvements
The Token Shop has been live for a little while and we’ve had some time to experience what we like and don’t like about it. We love how it allows players to make progress towards the cards they want most. We don’t love that the hottest, newest cards don’t feel very accessible to players who haven’t completed Series 3. Once players complete Series 3, they start earning 500% more Tokens on the Collection Track, but before then, Series 4 and 5 can feel out of reach. We are starting to experiment with changes we could make to let players who are still progressing through Series 3 feel quicker progress towards the new hotness. It’s going to take us a little time to make these changes, but our goal is to make the experience of earning Series 4 and 5 feel much better for folks who haven’t completed Series 3.

With so many new cards dropping to Series 3 and 4 and more dropping every month, things are about to get spicy! We can’t wait to see what wild new decks everyone will build!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

wyoak posted:

Need a card that turns a location into Bar with No Name

It’d have to be a 6 energy card with some other drawback because that would easily flip the game.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Not looking forward to getting my rear end beat by Shuri more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ok, after hitting it two games in a row zabu/spider/absorb is indeed the lamest combo in the game.