Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I'm on episode 2 of Paul T. Goldman and hahaha this show is so bizarre We're really going into Russian Mail Order Bride territory????

It’s so loving batshit I really love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s so loving batshit I really love it

It kind of reminds me of Joe Schmo show (season 1) where the point of the show is to poke fun at the main guy but he's so upbeat and optimistic it's kind of hard to

Edit - Hahahaha holy poo poo the ex wife watching the auditions of people playing her hahaha

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 10, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
They're doing more damage with this 'everything will just get cancelled' perception than they could ever save by cancelling these shows. Just cut the budgets, whatever, roll it back a bit and keep things going, or just live up to commitments made. If everybody starts thinking, as they already have, that any new show is a tenative maybe probably will be a 10 hour series with 2 hours of plot then disappear, then of course the gigantic numbers they expect for day one viewership aren't going to materialise. People will wait and see, and only a very select few will make it past that filter. Not enough to keep people on the hook for x dollars a month.

If there's actually a big hole in the money pit that's a different issue and I understand, they're failing and trying to salvage scraps. But if this is a strategy then they're really stupid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good recommendation, this is... this guy... no he;s doing it again this just first episode, not even halfway

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

roomtone posted:

They're doing more damage with this 'everything will just get cancelled' perception than they could ever save by cancelling these shows. Just cut the budgets, whatever, roll it back a bit and keep things going, or just live up to commitments made.

Can't really roll back budget of later seasons when actors often are the key expense.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

roomtone posted:

If there's actually a big hole in the money pit that's a different issue and I understand, they're failing and trying to salvage scraps.

It's been said many times, occasionally by me, but the fact is that nobody makes money in DTC streaming. Netflix was briefly in the black late '21/early '22, but that's it historically.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^edit: Yeah, this too is probably the better point. Streaming was built on cheap rights to big libraries. The beginning of the end was when Netflix started shelling out 8 or 9 figures for old TV series as if that was sustainable. Then Peacock and Paramount were dumb enough to jump in rather than just cash the sweet licensing checks.

The biggest thing would be movies, I assume. Although yeah, they may need to just plan for shorter series if they can't support them long-term. Which is probably fine. More and more series seem to be aiming for 4 or less seasons anyway. Just make it a thing.

I remember even before Netflix was flailing there were articles about "How in the world did Triple Frontier cost over $100 million?" That seems to be the bigger problem. It's fine to make dumb B-movie action thrillers to fill out the library. Except they end up paying obscene amounts for trash movies. Something like Red Notice cost $200 million and while it got a lot of eyeballs on it based on the complete amnesia for it I have to assume it was just casual watchers who were bored and would have watched anything. Like, Hulu has this problem solved with all the filler movies they pick up.

I don't know, I might be thinking of it because I happened to see the review of White Noise on Polgon https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23522513/white-noise-review-netflix.

quote:

When books are written about Netflix’s grand investment in prestige cinema, Noah Baumbach’s White Noise may go down as the movie that finally killed the goose that laid the golden budgets. This is not to say the streaming service will never again fund an auteur’s vanity project — it still hasn’t snagged that Best Picture Oscar, and, spoilers, this film won’t be the one to win it — but it’s unlikely to do it on this scale again. The Irishman was more expensive, Blonde was more of a disaster, but for sheer hubris, you can’t beat an apocalyptic period adaptation of a supposedly unfilmable literary classic, by a director better known for caustic domestic comedies, with a rumored budget of $140 million. We certainly won’t see the like again — not from Netflix, at any rate.

No idea if it was any good. I might check it out at some point.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 10, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it a lot, but I think most people hate the dialogue style so much they can't get with it.

$140 million is nuts for that movie.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

There's a White Noise movie? To this day I'm embarrassed about how badly I misread that book, though it was part of burning through a lot of required course reading.

'man, this would never happen. A tiger would never do that. What is this bs some kind of satire?'

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s good and a surprisingly close adaptation (including the third act being way less good)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I sort of miss the days when studios made a bunch of low budget PG-13 and R-rated comedies that had the potential to end up being really popular and/or profitable.

Contrary to popular belief, not everything needs to cost 200 million dollars.

Half Baked cost 8 million bucks and made almost 20. People love Half Baked.

Billy Madison cost 10 million bucks and made over 25 million bucks. People love Billy Madison.

Same for Happy Gilmore (cost 12 million and made over 40) and The Waterboy (cost 23 million and made 190 million).

American Pie cost 11 mil and made 235 mil.

There's Something About Mary cost 23 mil and made 370 mil.

140 million dollars is absolutely loving insane, and Netflix deserves to go under if they keep throwing small fortunes at projects that someone who works there should have the wherewithal to veto immediately after reading the script. I know that moviemaking has changed, as well as movie marketing, but there was just something about going to a theater and looking at the marquee and deciding to see some 90 minute comedy with (insert well known comedian and less expensive supporting cast here).

Of course, 90 minute movies are barely a thing anymore (outside of Hulu's Prey last year), and even going to the theater isn't as popular as it once was. Even before the pandemic, box office receipts were dropping precipitously all over the world compared to 10-20 years ago. Blockbuster tentpole movies are one thing, but it just doesn't seem like there's as many little movies anymore (not even necessarily comedies, but little movies in general) than can turn a bit of a profit and become lodged in the greater pop culture. Evvvvvvvvverything feels like it has to have a huge budget and Hollywood accounting steps in and decides that (X) many eyeballs have to see it for it to justify it's existence.

You can't just go to a theater anymore and pay to see a Big Lebowski, Can't Hardly Wait, Office Space, Darkman, The Game, Ghost Dog, New Jack City, Adventures In Babysitting, Wargames or Short Circuit. Everything's got to have Names™ in it, and have some inflated budget attatched to it.

Netflix and the streaming services at large could probably make 10-15 little movies for what it cost to make White Noise and then wouldn't need 10 million new subscribers to continue to not operate at a loss as a result.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's the same with shows. These blockbuster type event series -- you know the type, one season every two years, unsustainable budgets -- they're just stupid. The money poisons everything, they have to be too big, and too bland, to fail, and so the writing is as broad as possible, they're constantly tinkered with in the edit, they're just mass blandishments with little actual skill or talent behind them -- and now all these mid budget shows are getting cancelled or put into the weirdy limbo of Not-renewed-but-not-actually-cancelled Hell because it seems like the money is otherwise not there. I'm putting together by top-whatever (close to 30) TV list and it sucks how few of these things are gonna be back this year.

Man, give me some quality control and reliable, regular, mid-to-low budget shows. That's been the basis of the medium for as long as its existed, streaming should have just changed the broadcast medium.

Idiots keep thinking they can reinvent fire and just get burnt.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its not new thing either, Airplane! cost 3.5mil and made 171mil, Kentucky Fried Movie 650 000 and made 7mil. Even Animal House, starring then just-TV-stars, cost 3mil and made 141.6 million.

You don't need 200 million for every project, especially when doing comedies. And if you keep ruining yourself by doing 200mil projects, maybe stop doing them?

^^^^ The fact that Stranger Things now has a cast large enough to need a bus to go around, and they still vetoed anyone dying in a horror series, and walked back with the recent on-camera death because that character proved quite popular, is just comical at this point.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 10, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I’ve been watching Miami Vice, a show I’ve only ever seen small parts of before, and I cannot get over how loving stylish it is, it’s insane. There are a lot of pretty mid episodes but even the lesser episodes usually have some huge set that looks incredible or an absolutely banging montage set to a song or something.

I just watched the second season episode “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” which ends on a full loving scene where they play the entirety of Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms with almost no talking, and I was loving blown away by how well-executed it was considering it was a pretty goofy episode otherwise.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSting18/status/1570893343185580033

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Miami Vice was and still is a pretty rad show. And it had a LOT of cameos throughout the entire run of it from people who ended up having huge careers.

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Guest_Stars

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Giancarlo Esposito has shown up like three times already.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teller talking is the exciting one

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I watched the series premiere of AMC’s Mayfair Witches, and goddamn Richard Harrow Jack Huston out of nowhere!

Okay, AMC. I’ll stick around for a while.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reviews for The Last of Us are glowing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Started Fleishman based on the previous version of this thread. Pretty interesting but I'm not sure I'll be able to get over the unrealistic number of matches he's getting :colbert:

E: Fleishman is "meat man" I wonder if that's intentional
E2: Hopefully someone punches the daughter in the face

feedmyleg posted:

Reviews for The Last of Us are glowing.
Huh, I didn't know HBO was still making anything. But it does look promising.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_last_of_us/s01/reviews

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 11, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Two Questions:

1) Is anyone gonna make a TLOU thread? Early reviews, especially from Sepinwall, a guy who is both respected and has no frame of reference to the source material, are as aforementioned glowing and this looks to be the next big HBO hit.

2) Is anyone gonna make a TLOU spoiler thread? Looks like the first season stays true to the plot of the first game, with little deviation, but with a lot more exploration of things mostly hinted at in the first game itself - Bill and Frank get a whole episode over a series of letters and vague explanations from Bill for example. Also Mazin and Druckmann have already pretty much stated they’re gonna adapt the second game for a season two if this is the hit it’s almost certain to be (if I were to guess, probably over two seasons since the plot of the second game is so, so long - there’s a natural point in the second game that would work as a good season finale), so a spoiler thread would provide use considering this is probably gonna be a three season show, maybe four if Druckmann does TLOU 3 like he also keeps hinting at.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can’t lie, having only just gotten around to playing the sequel, I am rather curious (and possibly hype as hell) to see if Bella Ramsey can pull off going Full Rambo/Frank Castle if there’s a season 2, and also who they might cast to play the internet’s favourite golfer. Also cool to hear Gabriel Luna is playing Tommy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm just curious how overt they're going to be with the cannibals that Ellie has to face largely on her own. I mean, they go pretty out there in the game but they don't go GoT far, I think it is fair to say

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aces High posted:

I'm just curious how overt they're going to be with the cannibals that Ellie has to face largely on her own. I mean, they go pretty out there in the game but they don't go GoT far, I think it is fair to say

I mean, the main guy is pretty much all but stated to be a pedophile, so

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCs4WKIlb8
Lucky Hank (Bob Odenkirk's new series on AMC) premieres March 19th

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I might make a TLOU thread in a bit, but I'd have to see if there's demand for a spoiler thread

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The new season of From has a release date: April 23rd!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hughmoris posted:

The new season of From has a release date: April 23rd!

gently caress yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I might make a TLOU thread in a bit, but I'd have to see if there's demand for a spoiler thread

Someone already made the spoiler thread but didn’t link to it in here and also didn’t make a regular thread first. People are really weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, here's a non-spoiler thread then:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021659

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I appreciate there being a non-spoiler thread, i haven’t played the games and whenever I see shows based on existing things I see people go “oh, well they said they’re not following the book/movie/game that closely so *massive spoiler* and then that thing happens or happens in a slightly different way :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HOLY gently caress posted:

I appreciate there being a non-spoiler thread, i haven’t played the games and whenever I see shows based on existing things I see people go “oh, well they said they’re not following the book/movie/game that closely so *massive spoiler* and then that thing happens or happens in a slightly different way :(

Yeah, sometimes it seems like goons are just looking for excuses tbh.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Well gently caress me, episode 6 of Sandman was incredible TV.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

just watched like 15 shows and they all sucked.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, these weren't good:

https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1612238817028902912

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Haha what the gently caress
https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1612242778557407232

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wooo, just finished Last Of Us Part 1, in under the wire before the show starts. Now I can be an insufferable games person who's annoyed by every change.

I wonder if they are going to adapt "Left Behind" and integrate it in a linear fashion into the show. I should probably beat that before the weekend too just in case.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bull3964 posted:

I wonder if they are going to adapt "Left Behind" and integrate it in a linear fashion into the show. I should probably beat that before the weekend too just in case.

As long as Kirk Cameron's on board I am okay with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think I saw some scenes from the mall in the trailer, so probably.