Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ardennes posted:

According to YouTube tank celebrity “the chieftain”, the US could push the entire Russian army back out of Ukraine with one armored and one infantry division.

this is true, the amount of atomic detonations that would occur in Ukraine and the rest of the world would push the Russians out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gresh posted:

Long range missiles is the one weapon I really hope doesn't get handed over to Ukraine. At that point, NATO might as well directly enter the war if we're just handing over weaponry hand over fist that allows Ukraine to strike deep inside Russia. Advocates of this plan claim that we'll make the Ukrainians 'promise' not to attack Russia with them. Just loving lol. Yeah, lets go ahead and risk huge escalation on the word of a country not to use weapons given to them on the one that invaded it.

I would say in this case it would also be long range Air to Air missiles, the MiG 31 is keeping a lid on the frontline and if Ukraine wants to even the odds it needs to push Russian fighters off. Also, surface to surface missiles are also clearly an issue.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ardennes posted:

According to YouTube tank celebrity “the chieftain”, the US could push the entire Russian army back out of Ukraine with one armored and one infantry division.

lmao

I mean he is a retired US Army Colonel, so I guess he would say that

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

That becomes a PR issue as the Abrams/Challenger/Leopard 2 still have a myth of invincibility. The benefit is saying “If Ukraine had these they’d be advancing on Rostov next week” but actually delivering them runs real risks and bears real costs.

Frankly, who even thinks about tanks? What was the last movie about tanks? If the US flying dick planes start falling down in droves it'll be a pretty big hit, but tanks have been yesterday's technology for 50 years.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Jan 10, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Also, the F-35 really hasn’t been in high intensity combat like the f-16, much less everything else that is up for debate. Either way, I didn’t think the crashes are the central criticism of the f-35 but rather its entire part ecosystem, it’s mission capable rate, and it’s sustainability as the primary combat aircraft (eventually) for most Western aligned states.

The f-22 has a higher number of crashes per airframes put into service but it is a plane that has been purposefully undermined to the point remaining airframes are routinely cannibalized to keep it in the air.

The f-35 at least on paper still has the ability to be a strong BVR fighter, it is really the question is about pretty much everything else.

Admittedly, it seems like most Russian political “experts” tend to forget the PRC exists and is an active player.

the funny pig youtuber with a british accent says its good.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
all youtubers are pig people

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes but this one has a pig as their youtube avatar.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

WaryWarren posted:

Coach Red Pill vs Lazerpig on Youtube right now!

Can't wait to read in a few years the whole LazerPig story/self tell-all confession. "Mysteriously" starts getting pushed by YouTube and gets thousands of subs just after Feb 2022 and pushes obnoxious NAFO garbage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

That becomes a PR issue as the Abrams/Challenger/Leopard 2 still have a myth of invincibility. The benefit is saying “If Ukraine had these they’d be advancing on Rostov next week” but actually delivering them runs real risks and bears real costs.

The loss of potential sales if imagery of burned out western mbts start making the rounds are most definitely a factor.

I can already see the Abrahams sinking deep into the mud sea with the nearest recovery vehicle 600km away.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

all youtubers are pig people

this kind of racism should really not be tolerated

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

nice glasses loser

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

this kind of racism should really not be tolerated

Indeed, pig people have a hard enough time without being slanderously compared to youtubers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Foxhound, of all planes, is the thing that's winning the air war? Why?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

The MiG-31BM has a really solid radar and carries the latest, greatest Russian long range air to air missiles.

It is technologically superior to Ukraine’s semi-active radar equipped fighters in basically every way. It cannot safely penetrate over Ukrainian SAMs, but it is the obvious top tier A2A platform in the fight between Russia and Ukraine.

The K model not really, as they belong to Russia’s ground attack forces.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goes really fast

Endman
May 18, 2010

nyooooooooooooooooooooorm

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Remember the endless writing since the 80's about the Foxbat being junk and the superiority of western weapons and tactics? Weird.

Anyways, Here's a monster article about the campaign in Galicia in 1914. I preordered the reprint of Twilight in the East and have really enjoyed Serbien muß sterbien. The JTS titles though... jfc.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is there any truth to the story that Soviet era bridges were built too small for western tanks?

I understand the Abrams is very maintenance intensive and the gas turbine engine requires some particularly technical knowledge to service, whereas a typical tank diesel engine can be fixed by some idiot like me.
Plus they're really pretty vulnerable, I posted a link to a video in the last thread of a Saudi Abrams (so as modern as it gets baring probably the depleted uranium armor) being defeated by an Iranian version of a Konkur, a 50 year old bigger version of a Fagot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Remember the endless writing since the 80's about the Foxbat being junk and the superiority of western weapons and tactics? Weird.

No. If anything, western writers were freaking out and overhyping the Foxbat’s capabilities compared to reality in order to justify spending money on more advanced fighters in the west.

The Foxbat was pretty rough though. The Foxhound is rather different and a much better aircraft.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Weka posted:

Is there any truth to the story that Soviet era bridges were built too small for western tanks?

I understand the Abrams is very maintenance intensive and the gas turbine engine requires some particularly technical knowledge to service, whereas a typical tank diesel engine can be fixed by some idiot like me.
Plus they're really pretty vulnerable, I posted a link to a video in the last thread of a Saudi Abrams (so as modern as it gets baring probably the depleted uranium armor) being defeated by an Iranian version of a Konkur, a 50 year old bigger version of a Fagot.

don’t sign your posts

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

mlmp08 posted:

No. If anything, western writers were freaking out and overhyping the Foxbat’s capabilities compared to reality in order to justify spending money on more advanced fighters in the west.

The Foxbat was pretty rough though. The Foxhound is rather different and a much better aircraft.

the modified foxbat is really good for shooting down ufos though
carries the early-mid game and never stops being usefull

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

CongoJack posted:

don’t sign your posts

why

Endman
May 18, 2010

Megamissen posted:

the modified foxbat is really good for shooting down ufos though
carries the early-mid game and never stops being usefull

glad to see another Xenonauts enjoyer ITT

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is that good
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1612951186981650434

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Weka posted:

a bigger version of a what?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

It sounds like the counted death toll is zero, that hardly can be a bad thing.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

a bigger version of a what?

A Fagot.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It sounds like the counted death toll is zero

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CongoJack posted:

don’t sign your posts

Lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Metal gear

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I see.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Weka posted:

I feel seen

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/ManojKu40226010/status/1609529650178580482

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somewhere, a liberal gets an erection and doesn't know why.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Somewhere, a liberal gets an erection and doesn't know why.

this war is gonna go on for years and kill millions because libs want to own the Russians

and because negotiation is bad for business

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That’s a lot of heroes.

There was a good recent book on Australian Graves Registration after the Great War, both grim and heartwarming.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i don't like australians either but i would hardly call their death toll in WW1 heartwarming

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

lobster shirt posted:

i don't like australians either but i would hardly call their death toll in WW1 heartwarming

he meant to say hearthwarming, the aussie cadavers saved many turks from freezing in the winter of '17

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A big flaming stink posted:

mlmp please stop posting like fishmech

lmfao that is exactly who he reminds me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It is kind of darkly funny that Russia is buying artillery ammunition from North Korea in order to replenish Russian stocks, and now the US has announced that they plan to purchase artillery ammunition from South Korea to replenish US stocks.

I guess if you're looking for some countries with shitloads of artillery ammo on hand, the Koreas are a place to look.