Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I don't have additional constellations on anyone but Itto and the standard Banner ones like Diluc or Mona so I was under the impression that everyone worked fine at C0.

You definitely don't need more than C0 to clear the Abyss using any remotely competent 5* character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm really looking forward to Fontaine bringing in some neat new water characters. The only water characters I really like playing atm are Tartaglia and Mona, and I like using Mona's base attacks more than her super move. Well, Barbara is kind of fun too, but Qiqi has replaced her niche pretty solidly. The fact that I've passed up a decent number of slashy and water-blasty characters along the way means that there's a lot of room for the new flashy stuff in Fontaine to fill a gap in my team's overall abilities. Even if I don't get to turn the rain on and off, I get the feeling that I will be extremely hyped by whatever ends up getting revealed in the archon trailer.

Of course, the main thing I am hype for after Dehya and Baizhu is the rumored 5-star Geo Support character from Liyue. Zhongli is still my main character, and something that turns my gigantic megashield into a more multi-layer asset would certainly be nice.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

itto c1 doesnt even change his dps what are you talking about lol

burst without stacks (plus extension) is pretty aces in my playing experience, it’s a drat good time-saver

MNSNTZR fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MNSNTZR posted:

burst without stacks is pretty aces in my playing experience, it’s a drat good time-saver

you dont need stacks before using burst though
even starting from 0 you have enough time to throw 2 cows, use 2 4-5-stack CAs, and end with another 1-stack CA
the optimal c1 rotation is like 3% higher damage than c0

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 10, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asimo posted:

:same:

Xiao is kind of poo poo too now that Wanderer is an optionfor raw anemo fun and Cyno has a similar sort of playstyle without all the unnecessary bullshit to manage.

The especially disappointing thing about Xiao is that he has really rad normal attack combo animations, but is designed around doing repeated plunge attacks.

Tsyni posted:

Woah, Woah, you need to be jump cancelling every charged attack. Part of the joy of Hu Tao

Even worse!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I will never use any character that requires me to jump cancel for optimal dps

I know I could just use them without doing so but my brain just says "no"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ThePineapple posted:

Even though I've seen this done on youtube by Enviosity and others, it's never really seemed easy to me. I have a few meta 5* teams by now with at least ok-ish 5* artifact sets and while I have 36-starred abyss consistently recently, it's not always easy and often requires multiple retries and/or going back and switching teams around floor to floor. If I were to restrict myself to 4* characters I don't think I'd be able to do it.

I've seen Enviosity eat poo poo plenty of times with the default 4 star characters and fail to get the 9 stars in the abyss, and that's with a knowledge of the enemies, super well built characters, and a good level of skill in playing the game. Most of the time you need a set of well built characters that is up for the abyss's task, which can be a huge ask when you don't have every character built up, the weapons to equip them with, or the specific artifact sets that make them pop. I'm well over that hump, both in terms of built characters, weapons, and just having the most meta teams, but I remember trying to tackle it with not as well built 4 stars and floor 11 was rough and floor 12 would just tank everything you threw at them. DPS check

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, Hu Tao is just plain unfun to play, and especially unfun to play for optimized damage. I also think Ganyu is pretty unfun to play.

I'd much rather use characters like Cyno or Itto, who are actually fun to play, or Ayaka who is both really good on damage and fun to play.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've seen Enviosity eat poo poo plenty of times with the default 4 star characters and fail to get the 9 stars in the abyss, and that's with a knowledge of the enemies, super well built characters, and a good level of skill in playing the game. Most of the time you need a set of well built characters that is up for the abyss's task, which can be a huge ask when you don't have every character built up, the weapons to equip them with, or the specific artifact sets that make them pop. I'm well over that hump, both in terms of built characters, weapons, and just having the most meta teams, but I remember trying to tackle it with not as well built 4 stars and floor 11 was rough and floor 12 would just tank everything you threw at them. DPS check

Enviosity is doing an extremely crippled f2p run where he has zero constellations on the characters like Xiangling, and he can't use Bennet/Fischl/Sucrose/XQ who are the real reasons why everyone says you can easy clear abyss without 5 stars.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
he doesn't even use noelle iirc despite her being guaranteed for all new players because it requires wishing on the beginner banner

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen anyone describe Ganyu as fun

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

wokow6 posted:

Yeah, Hu Tao is just plain unfun to play, and especially unfun to play for optimized damage. I also think Ganyu is pretty unfun to play.

I'd much rather use characters like Cyno or Itto, who are actually fun to play, or Ayaka who is both really good on damage and fun to play.

Cyno has extremely rad-looking attacks in his burst.

Also Cyno has one of the easier to notice visual queues for a proc. I have a really hard time noticing stuff like Wanderer's thing (where dashing fires off attacks) or Itto's oni face stages; I have to specifically go out of my way to examine them, which can be hard in a game as visually "busy" as Genshin Impact is. Cyno's is good because it's a really big symbol overlaid atop everything else.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but despite having such a huge visual cue it's almost completely unnecessary because unlike those other characters listed there's no rng
if you hit the first one then the timing just lines automagically up whenever his skill comes off cd, so you don't have to watch for the indicator at all

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Radical posted:

Ganyu is super fun. Not only does she have a much memed ice rocket launcher you can fire at a pretty decent pace, she has a couple other powers that can be used to support the party in a more indirect fashion. I can think of different situations in which each power is useful on its own, instead of them all feeding into a more consistent action loop. I really appreciate this kind of versatility.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes but aiming and charging the bowshot sucks rear end

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Radical posted:

I think she was fun when I didn't have a real team for her and was using Prototype Crescent, so I really needed to hit those weakspots.

Now in an optimized freeze team with Amos' Bow where she always crits even on bodyshots, she's a lot less interesting. And melt teams are just a nightmare since there are no pyro applicators who work sensibly with Ganyu.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

It is definitely interesting seeing how much the controller type people are using can impact their experience of Genshin. The difference in bow shots between touchscreen, mouse+keyboard, and controller is the most obvious. I really like bow characters on console, lining up headshots is extremely satisfying. Ganyu in particular, there's a risk v reward to the aiming situation. I can hit someone in the head for extra damage or I can aim near their feet to make it more likely they'll still get hurt if I miss. And then there's some additional calculations depending on whether they are a bouncy enemy, what kind of wind pulls are in play, what kind of freeze/petrify I am in a position to use.

From my limited time playing Genshin on phone, bow characters are less fun to aim with there. I imagine that phone players can appreciate auto-attack bow units like Yoimiya more as a result of that. If I fielded Ganyu on phone, I imagine I would be much more focused on using her burst for ice application over time, in combination with a battery character. I believe the keqingmains video on Ganyu touched on the fact that you can use her as a backline support character reasonably well, but I usually only use her in that capacity when I need a different primary damage type to break through a shield. Ice Rokkit is just too fun, otherwise.

EDIT: Ganyu is fun because she reminds me of the good old days cheesing past lightsaber duels by having Kyle blast the ground with explosives

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 11, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

We already have Cyno at home (keqing)

Tho he does look fun to play

As someone with both, he is fun but not really moreso than Keqing.

Kind of regret rolling him, but then he was already "I guess it'd be okay if I got him while trying to get Shinobu, who will open up so many cool options for me, man I hope I can get Shinobu."

I almost hit 1.5x pity and never got Shinobu.

I guess I have Shinobu at home (Dori) but it's not the same.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

he doesn't even use noelle iirc despite her being guaranteed for all new players because it requires wishing on the beginner banner

Pretty sure he does use Noelle sometimes.

Dendro made his challenge a ton easier since he can run hyperbloom now. Still very impressive of course. Just goes to show how crazy hyperbloom is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He never was able to do it until hyperbloom was added to the game then he did it immediately.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't think I'd say I "regret" rolling any character but there are definitely some I haven't touched since getting friendship 10. Funny enough, I got Hu Tao on her last banner and never use here cause her style doesn't interest me, strength aside (also I already had yoimiya for a fire carry).

I don't roll for meta or even try to 36 star abyss which is probably why I haven't burnt out on this game, and also why I just post random stuff I think is funny

https://twitter.com/Enthralpy/status/1608891474820861956

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/wonemie/status/1612626444471144448

https://twitter.com/lunos_os/status/1609100685592907776

https://twitter.com/AlchemicLee/status/1608776643807711234

https://twitter.com/whyte_srsn/status/1608249278648188930

https://twitter.com/HajarHnbl/status/1609495938439208966

https://twitter.com/rokuyo221/status/1602678588318265344

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its a weapon not a character but i accidentally pulled an engulfing lightning on a hail mary 10x for mouun's moon (which i got in the same 10x) and ive leveled it up but don't even have it equipped on any one bc like. who would i use it for. i dont have raiden.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mix. posted:

its a weapon not a character but i accidentally pulled an engulfing lightning on a hail mary 10x for mouun's moon (which i got in the same 10x) and ive leveled it up but don't even have it equipped on any one bc like. who would i use it for. i dont have raiden.

Literally any spear user that has a damaging burst

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
(xiangling)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
https://genshin.hoyoverse.com/en/news/detail/28738

New area's new enemies. Boss snake looks like a huge pain in the rear end, unless you like archers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All of the bosses are a pain in the rear end

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol Wenut

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Mix. posted:

I definitely like the look of Engulfing Lightning. Inazuma has some really cool weapons, in general. I have rolled for weapons there more often than in any other region, I think.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Tae posted:

Literally any spear user that has a damaging burst

should clarify the only 5* polearm users i have are xiao and zhongli and i got the impression its not particularly good on either of them (i dont use XL because i find her really boring)

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Mix. posted:

This is me but with a Vortex Vanquisher I got a few cycles ago. I think I have it equipped on Thoma and they’re both just covered in dust.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zenostein posted:

New area's new enemies. Boss snake looks like a huge pain in the rear end, unless you like archers.

you just have to use amber, it's fine

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tsyni posted:

you just have to use amber, it's fine

You have to solo it with Amber

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

All of the bosses are a pain in the rear end

All bosses should be replaced by dance-off QTEs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Not that their rhythm games have been especially terrible (and they have certainly gotten better), but I would rather try hitting a moving target with an archer using a controller than suffer through some idiot ddr qte bossfight.

It would also be nice if their bosses were more like the primo vishap, where there's a very handy way to take off 1/4 of its health, and even if you don't do that, you can just beat it to death without it flying away or going underground or turning to mist and running around like an rear end in a top hat or whatever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of boss snakes - what's a good comp to take down the chasm snake?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

hey its your favorite hyperbloom team again

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mordiceius posted:

I think AoE (like the pulses of Zhongli's pillar, or Gorou's alt) and turrets like Fischl's crow keep damaging the rune serpent during the parts where it's underground. So it was pretty painless with my Itto team, though yeah I'm sure hyperbloom or bursting it down so it doesn't get to go underground helps. Zhongli has the added benefit of being able to instantly destroy the light crystals.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mordiceius posted:

I dont have a particularly great comp for it (when I was grinding it out I was using Zhongli, Ning, Diluc and Raiden. A perfectly fine team for doing it, but not going to win any meta speed competitions I think) but I will mention; If you go in with the crystal gadget equipped, it drains the charges to force you to engage with the light crystal mechanics. If you start the fight THEN equip the gadget it doesnt drain it which makes life a little easier. Not a massive advantage, but worth knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of trying the game out. I played back in the day when it first came out for like an hour.

Is rerolling still a thing or do I just go forward with what I have and follow the advise of the OP?