Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The deck uses Pipewire as its audio server. There's patchbay software (qpwgraph) that allows you do graphically reroute audio/video/midi on the fly among all devices. I think the bluetooth thing comes with its standard configuration, because it works with my laptop as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have Corsair surround sound compatible headphones, but only when they're plugged into a pc via USB and the proper settings are used to do 8 channel instead of 2. Obviously they work fine (in stereo) plugged into the audio jack as normal, but is there any way I could finagle multichannel audio with these on the Deck?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Get a cheap USB-C to USB-A adapter?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

Get a cheap USB-C to USB-A adapter?

I have the means of plugging my headphones into the deck, but do you know if there are any options to put the system's audio to 7.1? Or even 5.1, natively?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone got recommended settings for Witcher 3 with the latest update or does it run OK in DX11 mode? I presume DX12 is slower?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Quantum of Phallus posted:

anyone got recommended settings for Witcher 3 with the latest update or does it run OK in DX11 mode? I presume DX12 is slower?

It runs in DX12 mode at a solid 40FPS* at medium settings IIRC on my Deck.

*45-ish uncapped, but I prefer to cap it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I remember being seriously impressed when I played my Switch for the first time in 2017. I just opened my Deck last night and played an hour of the Vampire game and Days Gone. Im absolutely blown away at how well this thing performs and how good everything looks. What an incredible piece of hardware.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

eddiewalker posted:

I had no idea I could pair the deck and my iPhone via Bluetooth.

My phone treats the deck as a BT speaker, and sound from both devices comes out of the deck’s headphones. It’s next-level for flying.

I've got a 10 hour flight for work coming up and HOLY poo poo THAT'S AMAZING.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have the means of plugging my headphones into the deck, but do you know if there are any options to put the system's audio to 7.1? Or even 5.1, natively?

Not sure if it's exposed in gaming mode, but in desktop mode you should be able to configure the device profile for the USB sound card the headphones use in system settings. Alternatively, the program pavucontrol exposes much of the same settings.

Generally, things try to default to stereo to avoid the situation where a device advertises 5.1 or 7.1 but only has stereo speakers attached.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antigravitas posted:

Generally, things try to default to stereo to avoid the situation where a device advertises 5.1 or 7.1 but only has stereo speakers attached.

And that's really annoying on an HTPC connected to an AV receiver.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Today I am greatful for the controller mapping because otherwise the Plex HTPC app wouldn’t work with a controller and now the Deck is also a really good smart TV box.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

eddiewalker posted:

My phone treats the deck as a BT speaker, and sound from both devices comes out of the deck’s headphones. It’s next-level for flying.

This is brilliant, thanks for this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

eddiewalker posted:

Also working for me on android. I am so happy you posted this, going to be huge for my upcoming long-rear end flights.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

EDIT: Fixed it.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fwiw Decky released a new plugin that shares community custom game configs. It's like the controller config but with a bunch people's power profiles per game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Looking forward to downloading and using a bunch of configs that just run the system absolutely loving ragged to get 3 extra fps

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Been playing the deck quite a bit for the last week or so and man, my right thumb is starting to really bother me. Going to have to take a break from it. I have huge hands, where a lot of the complaints I saw were from people with smaller hands.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

rafikki posted:

Been playing the deck quite a bit for the last week or so and man, my right thumb is starting to really bother me. Going to have to take a break from it. I have huge hands, where a lot of the complaints I saw were from people with smaller hands.

Fwiw when I've had issues with my wrists/hands it's actually been a symptom of poor posture. You might find just standing up and stretching out for a bit helps with your thumb.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Looking forward to downloading and using a bunch of configs that just run the system absolutely loving ragged to get 3 extra fps

It’ll be either that or a config that turns games into a stuttery slow mess that the uploader insists “runs fine”

No inbetween

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

PantsBandit posted:

Fwiw when I've had issues with my wrists/hands it's actually been a symptom of poor posture. You might find just standing up and stretching out for a bit helps with your thumb.

I dunno, it’s now flaring up just holding my phone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was playing Tinykin tonight while plugged in and noticed the Deck hadn’t charged at all while playing and was still at 30%. Can this thing outpace its own charging speed like a laptop? It was a 100W charger with a 100W cable so that’s not the issue.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

rafikki posted:

This is RSI. As someone with chronic RSI, stop playing and avoid activities that cause pain for a while. If you exacerbate it enough, it'll get worse and will be chronic.

Take care of your hands folks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was playing Tinykin tonight while plugged in and noticed the Deck hadn’t charged at all while playing and was still at 30%. Can this thing outpace its own charging speed like a laptop? It was a 100W charger with a 100W cable so that’s not the issue.

I think the Deck's charging speed will max out at 65W which should charge it decently while playing but yes, depending on what it's taking through USB-PD it can outpace its charging speed, I assume some of that would be related to heat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As someone who's had gamer hands for a while, if you're starting to get pain it's worth looking into physical therapy. Even if it's not terrible, getting to work on prevention is great. My hands and arms are way better than they used to be after just a couple months of it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Yeah, it’s just crazy that it’s getting triggered all of a sudden by the deck. I’ve played basically ever controller under the sun for decades.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I went from zero pain ever to hosed up in like two days. It can be sudden.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tiny Timbs posted:

Reboot and see if you still have the issue. I've had mine not able to charge at all (would just hang at the percentage it was at) but rebooting it got it to charge again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Some fps games like cyberpunk 2077 have sprint be pushing down the left analog stick. This results in jamming the thing forward and down, and I'm a little worried it might damage things in this position? Then again, I've had it drop face down a couple times with all 1.75 lbs of force directed at those sticks and it's no worse for wear (I'm sure being rubber helps).

I mean sure I could reconfigure the sprint key but I'm already used to it so there's no going back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Panfilo posted:

Some fps games like cyberpunk 2077 have sprint be pushing down the left analog stick. This results in jamming the thing forward and down, and I'm a little worried it might damage things in this position? Then again, I've had it drop face down a couple times with all 1.75 lbs of force directed at those sticks and it's no worse for wear (I'm sure being rubber helps).

I mean sure I could reconfigure the sprint key but I'm already used to it so there's no going back.

Speaking of RSI, stick clicking is particularly bad for me. I now try to bind sprint to outer ring when possible. Doesn't work great with games with a lot of crouching for stealth, though.

Far Cry 6 is the only game that I know of that accommodates this natively (if you keep pushing forward after crouching, you'll continue sprinting after sliding, if you let go even for a split second you'll stay crouched until you manually get up).

And yes, stick clicking is apparently a big reason for the stick drift epidemic.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Bloodstained on Deck, start to finish took about 20 hours. Zero performance issues and zero crashes to OS, which is way better than the experiences I had on Switch, Xbox Series S and Windows PC.

Not sure what I'll be plugging away at next, but it's great to know rhat the overwhelming majority of my Steam library just works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Trust me when I say to remap it.

I’ve remapped both stick clicks to back buttons and never looked back. Once you do you you’ll quickly adjust because it’s so much better.

I’ve done the same on my Xbox with the elite controller.

gently caress clicking down sticks for poo poo. It’s a terrible input method.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah most folks' thumbs just must be made different than mine. Hate hate the stick-click, *especially* if you have to hold it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah stick clicking just doesn't work for me when it has to be combined with stick movement. Whoever came up with that idea needs a swift punch in the nads.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trucker Hat posted:

I just beat Bloodstained on Deck, start to finish took about 20 hours. Zero performance issues and zero crashes to OS, which is way better than the experiences I had on Switch, Xbox Series S and Windows PC.

Not sure what I'll be plugging away at next, but it's great to know rhat the overwhelming majority of my Steam library just works.

That’s good to hear. I’m gonna get it on Deck after I finish TimeSpinner. I had it on switch and I’m sure you know how that ran…

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh yeah, I can personally attest that Bloodstained runs far better on Deck than on Switch. To the point that I can actually do the inputs for the special attacks on Deck, on Switch the input lag even post patch was so bad even a QCF was a challenge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I loving hate that clicking sticks is now a defacto standard of input, it's terrible.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That isn't normal behavior.

Did you have any other cables plugged into the charger? Some chargers will advertise a certain wattage but won't get close to that if every port is populated.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

njsykora posted:

I think the Deck's charging speed will max out at 65W which should charge it decently while playing but yes, depending on what it's taking through USB-PD it can outpace its charging speed, I assume some of that would be related to heat.

We've been over this before, but: the cable doesn't matter (the Dreck doesn't draw more than 3 A) and the Dreck will draw up to 45 W (at 15 V max), using up to 25 W itself (and the rest to charge its battery.)

You can check in one of the menus to see exactly at what rate the Dreck is recharging the battery (or not at all.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Commander Keene posted:

Oh yeah, I can personally attest that Bloodstained runs far better on Deck than on Switch. To the point that I can actually do the inputs for the special attacks on Deck, on Switch the input lag even post patch was so bad even a QCF was a challenge.

The audio has issues here and there and occasionally the performance tanks but I got through a randomizer run in it just fine, it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zerot posted:

That isn't normal behavior.

Did you have any other cables plugged into the charger? Some chargers will advertise a certain wattage but won't get close to that if every port is populated.

Nope, just one cable in the port the manual said gets the full rate. The Deck charged just fine with the same charger when I left the game and plugged it in somewhere else so I’ll try doing a full shutdown and reboot and see if it happens again.