Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why punching glove over booster energy?

Booster gets nullified by debuffs right? Held items don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

NICE! quoting for later. amazing primer!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

HootTheOwl posted:

Booster gets nullified by debuffs right? Held items don't?

Protosynthesis/Quark Drive are separate multipliers from buffs and debuffs. So no.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Life Dew Eviolite Chansey is a really good healer for raiding special attackers, but even doubled that’s a 10 stat for physical defense so stay away from those guys

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
my Armarouge and my Dachsbun are great in raids. Adamant Dachsbun with a Choice Band takes a chunk out of any raid boss weak to Fairy, without any setup

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Built up an Iron Hands so I could mess around offline and beat up enough 5 stars to unlock 6s. So much easier than just charging my unoptimized story mons at raids at a crap success rate.

My first 6 was a lucky matchup that went down easier than some of the 5s. I think I have enough stuff/leftover cash now to build most of a support guy to go online with.

How hard are the Cinderace raids? I will probably only have time to build one dude before the event kicks off. Does it require specific builds that are just used for the event or would a more general build like the Grimmsnarl build listed earlier that I can use for other stuff still be viable? Like where would they rate on the scale of "do whatever as long as you're actively being an rear end and optimization is just to speed run the encounter" to "If you do not follow the strat with frame perfect accuracy, you will wipe" would 7s fall?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The last thing. As it turns out a mon being able to spam a buffing move on its off turns is incredibly dickish!

You can always just AFK and focus on surviving if you can't build up the right mons in time.

Grimmsnarl can work if the rest of the team brings good support, but if it's the only support, Cinderace will headbutt it with Iron Head.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

randos over the age of 20 largely have 7-star Cinderace down to a science; just don’t die and Waifu_Greg’s Slowbro will one-shot it

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, Cinderace is very hard. I ended up using a Drizzle Pelliper I caught in a raid to just spam Chilling Water and occasionally Hurricane. It’s best on a team with 3 Slowbro.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hammerite posted:

My in game team were level... 70ish at the end? and I just started joining level 5 raids. Probably pissed quite a few people off. But anyway you'll win some and those will get you exp candies that you can use to bootstrap up to level 100. Pretty soon you'll be rolling in candy

This is what I did. But I had the benefit of Skeledirge in the beginning who is actually really good when you pick and choose 5* raids even at 70.

Muscle Tracer posted:

One seemingly-attractive role that I haven't seen work well is a healer, like Blissey or Hatterene, that uses Life Dew or Heal Pulse. True, you can use Life Dew to help your allies survive longer, but you'll make a lot more headway debuffing the boss. If you use Life Dew three times, you'll need to use it again and again as the boss keeps dishing out damage, whereas if you use Snarl three times, the boss will be doing 60% less damage, so you can switch to Screech or Helping Hand to take it down faster.

The caveat to this is that in raids it's quite likely that the shield will take a while to get through, especially in 6* raids, when that happens you cannot depend on screech or any other non damaging debuff because when the shield goes up the target Mon is going to debuff away all it's negatives and be totally immune to all debuffs that don't do damage. This has the chance to make the raid stall hard.

Muscle Tracer posted:

The important thing here is to wait until you see what your allies lock in, and then pick your own pokemon accordingly. If you see three Azumarills, bring Umbreon to support with screens and Screech, rather than Iron Hands to bring a fourth Belly Drum. If you see three support pokemon, bring your attacker. If you see both, bring whichever there's less of -- a 50/50 split is ideal. If you see someone lock in a starter or a pokemon you think will get one-shot, just leave the raid. You'll get a feel for the "meta" builds you're likely to see as you get experience.

The problem with this example and three Azumarills is that in my experience they are all going to belly drum then only one of them is going to get a hit. After the first hit the enemy goes to half life or a little under then pops their shield and debuffs everyone. The remaining two Azumarills now have no belly drum, are at half life, and hit like pillows against the shield. If you are one of the Azus (or Iron hands) in this scenario then don't belly drum, instead focus on getting 3 hits in to Tera to get through the shield. I have a much higher win rate that way with the public.

Also to be fair to starters, Skeledirge can be amazing in raids that need fire. His Torch Song self buffs Special Attack one level 100% of the time every it is used while still being an 80 power 100% chance to hit Special Attack STAB fire move. He can also learn Slack Off for self healing while having useabale physical bulk. Since he has no need to use turns to self buff it's easy to tera him by comparison to others, which gets through the shield much faster.

Bottom line is that I feel supports that use Chilling Water/Spirit break far more useful than screech and any abilities that fail to pass a shield. The difference is substantial IMHO.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
does anyone know how Helping Hand works in Tera raids? I mean with everything being out of sync and all

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Would this Toxapex build be good for Cinderace? Got a shiny one and I can build them up by the weekend

Bold (+Atk, -Def), EV's in HP, Def
Chilling Water / Iron Defense / Acid Spray / Recover

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

He's quite Youtube for good and bad, but Wolfey (won the World Championship back in 2016) just posted a video guide on how to raise a perfect Pokemon with an eye on competitive, and since we have some newbies in the thread and people who maybe don't know all the daft numbers and such, it might be worth a look. He isn't going to be to everyone's taste but eh, I like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf__eO_YjAc

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Tender Bender posted:

Would this Toxapex build be good for Cinderace? Got a shiny one and I can build them up by the weekend

That’s what I used and had no difficulty beating him when some pubbie didn’t bring in something wildly off meta. Never really used Iron Defense or Recover, though, so you could probably try to put something else in there if you wanted.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tender Bender posted:

You probably have a mint kicking around that'll make for a better nature bonus, but otherwise, yeah, that'll work fine.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

How hard are the Cinderace raids? I will probably only have time to build one dude before the event kicks off. Does it require specific builds that are just used for the event or would a more general build like the Grimmsnarl build listed earlier that I can use for other stuff still be viable? Like where would they rate on the scale of "do whatever as long as you're actively being an rear end and optimization is just to speed run the encounter" to "If you do not follow the strat with frame perfect accuracy, you will wipe" would 7s fall?
You can do Cinderace solo with a Slowbro. It might even be easier 'cause you can set up more or less at your leisure with the AI allies being so useless you'll have plenty of time to set up. You want:
Stored Power
Nasty Plot
Iron Defense
Slack Off

Just buff everything- defense first- and Stored Power will do insane damage. Slack off as needed. You won't one shot it, but you'll come close. You should be bulky enough to set up a little bit again after your buffs are wiped to take it out on your own.

This Slowbro build seemed fun to me so I didn't mind building it as one of my first raid pokemon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Warmachine posted:

Oh, and as someone who didn't play in the Scald era, 80 base with 30% to apply a burn is just Lava Plume with a water typing. Sure, that means your burn application is also super effective against Fire types, but that doesn't seem like a meta-breaking advantage. I really don't see the appeal. Was Scald loving up the competitive meta or something back in the day?

It is the same as Lava Plume, but very few fire types get Lava Plume and almost every water type could learn Scald along with some non-water-types. Scald was probably the premier burning move in the game, and it's water-type, I imagine this is part of what people object to.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endgame plot question one of the journals in Area Zero says Arven's mother walked out of them not too long after he was born(and I assume in Scarlet it's his father) does that mean Arven potentially has more unresolved parental issues?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Endgame plot question one of the journals in Area Zero says Arven's mother walked out of them not too long after he was born(and I assume in Scarlet it's his father) does that mean Arven potentially has more unresolved parental issues?

Yeah, maybe. It's unexamined AFAIK.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of wonder how the anime and manga are going to handle that particular plot point since they typically combine the two versions together

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BitBasher posted:

The problem with this example and three Azumarills is that in my experience they are all going to belly drum then only one of them is going to get a hit. After the first hit the enemy goes to half life or a little under then pops their shield and debuffs everyone. The remaining two Azumarills now have no belly drum, are at half life, and hit like pillows against the shield. If you are one of the Azus (or Iron hands) in this scenario then don't belly drum, instead focus on getting 3 hits in to Tera to get through the shield. I have a much higher win rate that way with the public.

To be completely fair, only a few 6* raids have player resets that trigger at HP%s. The vast majority of them trigger on the raid timer. So, each belly drummer will typically be able to get at least one hit in to heal via Shell Bell/Drain Punch.

The worst offender is Staraptor who resets player buffs at 75% AND 50% health. Most everyone else resets at 180 seconds or at something low like 20-30% health.

For people who care what the special action triggers are for each 6* raid, look here.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
was Meganium in any Scarlet/Violet datamines? pretty certain no but w/e

love that silly doofus

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BitBasher posted:

Bottom line is that I feel supports that use Chilling Water/Spirit break far more useful than screech and any abilities that fail to pass a shield. The difference is substantial IMHO.

I just recently found out to my delight that Corviknight's Mirror Armor will reflect defuffs through shields. :getin:

Had to train one up (fortunately, I got one from raids that already had that ability) to deal with a super annoying 6-star Tyranitar that has Screech which utterly decimated many of my runs despite trying to run support with Reflect and Chilling Water. Taunt didn't offer much mileage because it's blocked when shields are up. It still took a few tries to get smart enough pubbies but we managed to clear it. It's cathartic after so much frustration to own that Tyranitar; more so because it Screeched at me three times in a row with its shields up and it got debuffed instead. :unsmigghh:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Edward IV posted:

I just recently found out to my delight that Corviknight's Mirror Armor will reflect defuffs through shields. :getin:

Had to train one up (fortunately, I got one from raids that already had that ability) to deal with a super annoying 6-star Tyranitar that has Screech which utterly decimated many of my runs despite trying to run support with Reflect and Chilling Water. Taunt didn't offer much mileage because it's blocked when shields are up. It still took a few tries to get smart enough pubbies but we managed to clear it. It's cathartic after so much frustration to own that Tyranitar; more so because it Screeched at me three times in a row with its shields up and it got debuffed instead. :unsmigghh:

cool. I want one. what were the EVs?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

wizard2 posted:

cool. I want one. what were the EVs?

With Raidmons you want generally want to pump a lot of EVs into HP and a lot into its attacking stat (unless you're Support), and thanks to Body Press and Iron Defense, Corviknight can use DEF as an attack stat, dealing Fighting damage

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
got it! thanks!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

*Smacks an Arven* this bad boy can fit so much parental abandonment in em'.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I actually ran with no EVs. Just leveled it up to 100, gave it an Impish mint, and ran Iron Head, Reflect, Screech, and Iron Defense. The Tyranitar was a Poison Terra hence Iron Head. Body Press would be preferable to synergize with Iron Defense but it's obviously Terra-type dependent.

Survivability was never an issue with no EVs even when it was hitting me neutrally with Stone Edge. Since Poison Tyranitar resisted Body Press and Corviknight had no other means to boosting its attack or hitting poison-types super-effectively, I was entirely stuck playing support. Once I built it up, it was really the pubbies that became the limiting factor. A lot of great move like an Annihilape running Shadow Ball or a Garchomp running Bulldoze. The MVP that helped win the raid was a Mudsdale (and a shiny one at that) with a Ground Terra so it could hit the Tyranitar much harder then I could but could take hits as well as I could and shrug off Screeches.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wizard2 posted:

was Meganium in any Scarlet/Violet datamines? pretty certain no but w/e

love that silly doofus

No. Only Gen 2 starter is Typlosion(because of the Hisuian form). DLC could still add the others though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RatHat posted:

No. Only Gen 2 starter is Typlosion(because of the Hisuian form). DLC could still add the others though

Only thing I want from DLC are my homies Exploud and Trevenant. I miss having a team that looked like a Swedish black metal band.

e: Im also the one person that loved Alolan Raticate. Give me Faticate back. :(

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 11, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Only thing I want from DLC are my homies Exploud and Trevenant. I miss having a team that looked like a Swedish black metal band.

e: Im also the one person that loved Alolan Raticate. Give me Faticate back. :(

those are very good and very metal homies but you know what? Im legit the second person who loved Alola Raticate!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

:discourse:

I still need to build an Umbreon for lazy raids.
Thanks!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

AlternateNu posted:

For people who care what the special action triggers are for each 6* raid, look here.

Thank you for that link, that's super useful!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for that ^^^, I retract my earlier raid-guide I'd based entirely on the handful of 6-star raids I'd gotten stuck on for a bit, which (when solo) seemed to follow a: HPorTime: WhicheverComesFirst format

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
just wanted to say again that Im so happy that Everstone/Destiny Knot have been depreciated in Gen 9 by Mints and Bottle Caps being so utterly commonplace. the random Breedjects of the world are free to have so much more personality now with combat ability being an afterthought. :)

I got an HA Mudkip in a Lure Ball off GTS and I barely know where to begin now. Galar? Sinnoh? what Nature do I want my new bro? hey, how about that weird little personality trait blurb that doesnt do anything?

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 11, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

wizard2 posted:

just wanted to say again that Im so happy that Everstone/Destiny Knot have been depreciated in Gen 9 by Mints and Bottle Caps being so utterly commonplace. the random Breedjects of the world are free to have so much more personality now with combat ability being an afterthought. :)

I got an HA Mudkip in a Lure Ball off GTS and I barely know where to begin now. Galar? Sinnoh? what Nature do I want my new bro? hey, how about that weird little personality trait blurb that doesnt do anything?

the thing that's like "gets scared by loud noises" or "loves to eat chocolate" or whatever? It provides a small amount of information about the mon's IVs. IIRC it tells you the highest IV and its value modulo 5 or some poo poo like that. If you are trying to figure out what its IVs are and the IV calculator you are using supports it, you can enter it as an additional piece of info to narrow down the possibilities a little.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Hammerite posted:

the thing that's like "gets scared by loud noises" or "loves to eat chocolate" or whatever? It provides a small amount of information about the mon's IVs. IIRC it tells you the highest IV and its value modulo 5 or some poo poo like that. If you are trying to figure out what its IVs are and the IV calculator you are using supports it, you can enter it as an additional piece of info to narrow down the possibilities a little.

Yeah! This Mudkip I just hatched just now has 3 Bests, a Pretty Good, a Decent and a No Good. However! He is Galar, Brave and "somewhat vain!" so I named him: Swamp Knight

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hammerite posted:

This is much less useful in modern games since checking IVs is so easy though

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

flavor text is always extremely useful due to its flavor provision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

flavor text is always extremely useful due to its flavor provision

:hai: