Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Why do I feel like the Caps are losing to the Flyers tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

It definitely was at the start of the year, when Auston freaking Matthews of all people is passing off shooting opportunities and only taking off-side one-timers on the powerplay for a month it’s not hard to compare to the two previous times his wrist has been hosed up and he started doing the exact same thing. Weirdly he seemed to be snapping off his shots a little bit better lately but nagging injuries gonna nag I guess

I wonder if this has been on the books for a while and the actual breaking point hasn't been anything to do with Matthews but rather the Leafs deciding it's not worth it to go all out to chase the division now that Boston's so far ahead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Kakko seems like a really talented grinder. He's got the hands, he's got the size, sometimes it seems like he has the feet, but he's missing something to put it all together

Could be that he's forced to play an ancillary role on his lines (could also be that's the limit of his skillset, but I don't know).
He doesn't seem to carry or distribute the puck, he's there to crash the net or get open for a nice shot.

he doesn't carry the puck through the neutral zone but he carries and creates in the offensive zone well (something ZIbanejad and Kreider don't do particularly well). He's also basically a great play driver for whatever line he's on.
He had a nice stretch going until the last couple of games he hasn't gotten any points but continues to create chances. He's a bit snakebitten somehow...and then starts passing up shooting chances because I guess he gets into his head.

He looks like a guy who if things start going in for him he's going to take off, but he's hovering in that "how is he so unlucky to do everything but score"

Basically...they need to keep him up with that line and feeding him top minutes and hopefully things will go in for him more. But again, his numbers are going to be depressed as long as he's not playing 1st power play minutes and that's going to be the reality for the foreseeable future (unless there are injuries to the top guys who play that unit). No one in the NHL puts up top numbers without 1st unit power play time.

TBH if the Rangers traded him for some reason I could see him breaking out as an excellent play driving all around player who maybe isn't putting up star numbers but puts up very good offensive numbers. Hopefully the becomes that for the Rangers too.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Probably because they got outshot 2:1 by the Blue Jackets when Columbus was on the second end of a b2b while Washington was rested. Hopefully Backstrom and Wilson play better tonight.

Washington needs to keep winning because they really need to avoid the wild card this year. Avoiding Carolina and especially Boston in the first round seems like a prudent move. Much rather they take their chances with one of NJ/NYR/PIT.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Avalanche desperately need to move Girard for a Top 6 forward. But the more he plays the more obvious it is that absolutely no one should give up a Top 6 forward to acquire him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Simplex posted:

The Avalanche desperately need to move Girard for a Top 6 forward. But the more he plays the more obvious it is that absolutely no one should give up a Top 6 forward to acquire him.

I still think of him as a top quality defensive defenceman. Has he fallen off that much since he was hurt?

As it stands if he was the central return in a Horvat trade I'd be pretty pleased with that.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1613251354998218756?s=46&t=Wv20DENqy5esrR0zumDCdA

Babe wake up, new Sammy Blais just dropped

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

I still think of him as a top quality defensive defenceman. Has he fallen off that much since he was hurt?

As it stands if he was the central return in a Horvat trade I'd be pretty pleased with that.
I recognize +/- is a pretty limited stat. That said he's a -12 and the next closest player is a -4. His most common d partner is a +2. It says he has 54 shots on the season, but I think it's grossly underestimating how many shot attempts he has. Just misty of his shots get blocked or are 10 feet wide of the net.

I was pretty done with him last year, but this year has manged to be worse, and he's got 4 more years at $5 million per. The Canucks would be getting fleeced in a Horvat-Girard trade, even with no extension.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks apparently trying to re-sign Kuzmenko instead of trading him

Why

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Who?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

Why

Cause Petey is gonna walk and they need someone to sell tickets?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Thank gawd Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim are all better at being terrible than the next group of awful teams... I wouldn't like Vancouver having more than a 10% chance at Bedard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Cause Petey is gonna walk and they need someone to sell tickets?

You mean everyone isn't lining up to see JT Miller throw fits?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NYR felt they were a little vowel heavy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Probably because they got outshot 2:1 by the Blue Jackets when Columbus was on the second end of a b2b while Washington was rested. Hopefully Backstrom and Wilson play better tonight.

Washington needs to keep winning because they really need to avoid the wild card this year. Avoiding Carolina and especially Boston in the first round seems like a prudent move. Much rather they take their chances with one of NJ/NYR/PIT.

The Pens and Caps having one last battle that reminds people how cool Ovie/Sid/Geno are and then the winner promptly getting swept by Carolina in the second round.

Next to no chance that happens though. I don't see New Jersey slipping past third place

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In June 2022 the Canucks signed Dale Tallon as an advisor and since then they've done the following:
Signed Ilya Mikheyev
Didn't trade then re-signed JT Miller
Re-signed Brock Boeser
Traded Dickinson and a 2nd for Stillman
Made zero changes to their blue line
Blew 2 or more goal leads 10 times in 40 games
Gabe up 5 or more goals in 19 of 40 games
Didn't manage to be bad enough to be in the Bedard lottery

I do not think this is a coincidence.

grack posted:

Why

Just sign the same guys forever and maybe it'll all work out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/UnfortunateHky/status/1613273383742984207

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I also had this reaction, so I looked him up on Capfriendly and saw that he's a 23-year old center who's a former 2nd round pick that's signed for the next two years at league minimum and had decent numbers in the AHL last year, though he has 0 points through 22 games with Vegas this year and pretty bad fancy stats numbers.

With that information, I felt this was a decent claim to take a chance on.

Then I went on Twitter and they're saying he's basically the worst skater in the league so I don't know what to think.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

I also had this reaction, so I looked him up on Capfriendly and saw that he's a 23-year old center who's a former 2nd round pick that's signed for the next two years at league minimum and had decent numbers in the AHL last year, though he has 0 points through 22 games with Vegas this year and pretty bad fancy stats numbers.

Then I went on Twitter and they're saying he's basically the worst skater in the league so I don't know what to think.

Looks like Rydahl is hurt too so i guess it makes a little more sense? No idea.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We are witnessing history

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I wonder if this has been on the books for a while and the actual breaking point hasn't been anything to do with Matthews but rather the Leafs deciding it's not worth it to go all out to chase the division now that Boston's so far ahead.

Almost certainly, I’ll never understand why they don’t just give their stars a month off or just have the drat surgery as soon as these things come up instead of letting them limp along for months at 60-70% and never get any better so if this is them conceding that they’d rather have Auston 100% by the playoffs I’m all for it. Or they could just be making a big deal of a glorified maintenance day and I’ll continue to be disgruntled.

Weirdly Auston not being able to just rip pucks through goalies from the circles on the PP might have made the whole unit less predictable/more interesting this year, mild positive.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its possible the surgery won't necessarily fix the problem or at least isn't 100% to and that rehab has as good a chance or whatever. Surgery isn't a magic bullet and some players don't want it unless its a sure thing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm not sure if I'd call 11 points in 39 AHL games 'decent' with the caveat I have no idea how good or bad the Henderson Silver Knights are. Either way this dude has 100 AHL games with 19 total points to show for it. He's a career 35-40% xG player (depending on whose model you want to use). I'm going to go with this player is quite bad.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Dad played in NHL, ergo drafted earlier than he should and given more chances than he should

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

the Provorov situation and value around the league will be interesting since there are light rumblings that it may be time to explore a trade. Friedman floated it on 32 Thoughts and the Athletic put together a good article about the whole situation (https://theathletic.com/4077511/2023/01/10/flyers-trade-ivan-provorov/). is the guy dogshit garbage now or will he be better getting away from the dogshit garbage Flyers?

The end of the day answer is the Flyers ruin everything and everybody.

It does sound like it has culminated in Provorov refusing to take blame for his performance. Which, at the least you have to say is inconsistent. Now, how much is him versus the entire team sucking, no idea. But the reports are that he is not getting along with a lot of the team and basically the attitude / situation is bad.

It likely does get fixed and he plays a lot better on an actual good team.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

stab posted:

Dad played in NHL, ergo drafted earlier than he should and given more chances than he should

Yup first thing I saw when I looked him up, made sense after that!

But NYR loves to collect 4th line centers. Goodrow, Brodzinski, Rydahl, Carpenter, Hunt (before he got shipped off). Also Gauthier got injured last night which is a shame because Brodzinski-Goodrow-Gauthier has been good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I read that realistically Provorov is an excellent #3 and he's basically got the #1 role in Philly because it's Philly. Regardless, the Flyers can probably get a haul for him

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I read that realistically Provorov is an excellent #3 and he's basically got the #1 role in Philly because it's Philly. Regardless, the Flyers can probably get a haul for him

This is correct, and the only question is whether he plays better if he has a decent defense partner.

That still doesn’t make him a clear cut number 1 when compared to like, Victor Hedman making players like Bogosian look amazing playing with him.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/ErieOtters/status/1613249389589323818?s=20
these own

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah those look pretty cool

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its possible the surgery won't necessarily fix the problem or at least isn't 100% to and that rehab has as good a chance or whatever. Surgery isn't a magic bullet and some players don't want it unless its a sure thing.

And for as "bad" as Matthews has been, he's on a 40 goal pace so he's just stuck in that annoying zone where it's bad enough that it's affecting him, but he's still good to play.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

I am a sports genius

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I thought the Flyers were dogshit garbage, what gives?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's the Metro baby.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Is Byfield actually a bust? It seems too soon to call him that since he's still only 20. Maybe he was rushed into the NHL too soon?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Koth posted:

Is Byfield actually a bust? It seems too soon to call him that since he's still only 20. Maybe he was rushed into the NHL too soon?

Yeah, the last time I heard his name he was a top prospect who was going to be something good

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I thought the Flyers were dogshit garbage, what gives?

They’re dogshit garbage at tanking yes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They were at least entertaining last night and at this stage that’s all I ask. I don’t give a poo poo about draft position, they’d either gently caress up the choice or gently caress up the player anyway.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koth posted:

Yeah it's too early to say he's bust, but it is correct to note that at this point in his career he hasn't looked like much at the NHL level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure i can remember watching a team as bad as the Ducks holy hell they're awful.