Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
They should have at least kept the terrain accuracy modifiers. FFTA had accuracy and it rarely drops below 75% if you aren't blinded and melee is almost always guaranteed. ¾ chance at the lowest for range is still pretty decent, and then you don't have to gently caress up your damage calculations, the accuracy will make up the expected average damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I like the current system of durability in Reborn, where units die slowly but healing is weak, so that the emphasis is less on surviving any one turn and healing up and more avoiding a situation where you slowly lose the entire fight. It also makes non-damage effects better, rather than you just being able to blitz down every enemy. Healing items destabilize that a bit, but they're also limited and there are other irreplaceable uses for those slots (debuff items), so I don't feel that ruins it, and in the post-game where you're expected to have the best items, your relative durability also drops to match.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einander posted:

I like the current system of durability in Reborn, where units die slowly but healing is weak, so that the emphasis is less on surviving any one turn and healing up and more avoiding a situation where you slowly lose the entire fight. It also makes non-damage effects better, rather than you just being able to blitz down every enemy. Healing items destabilize that a bit, but they're also limited and there are other irreplaceable uses for those slots (debuff items), so I don't feel that ruins it, and in the post-game where you're expected to have the best items, your relative durability also drops to match.

Yeah that also makes sense. It might just be that, as a personal taste thing, I prefer things to be more spell- and ability-centric than item-centric, so I'd rather healing and debuff items be less of a focal point and have more of that put onto spells or character abilities. But that's not really an "objective" thing, it's just something I like.

Or having the ability to use these powerful items could be a skill in and of itself, but now I'm just reinventing the PSP version's Field Alchemy aren't I

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

War Wizard posted:

They should have at least kept the terrain accuracy modifiers. FFTA had accuracy and it rarely drops below 75% if you aren't blinded and melee is almost always guaranteed. ¾ chance at the lowest for range is still pretty decent, and then you don't have to gently caress up your damage calculations, the accuracy will make up the expected average damage.

Would it be a layer on top of parry? Parrying already feels pretty bad cause it does nothing most of the time and I dunno if bringing a stat back for 1% chance to hit is worth it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I dunno if bringing a stat back for 1% chance to hit is worth it.

My main gripe is they disabled a stat while still having a bunch of items and classes balanced around it. Ninja's are useless because they're supposed to have a relatively high natural avoidance, but since that's a meaningless stat why are they even in the game still?
If they wanted to get rid of accuracy, that's fine, but you're going to have to pull out the entire agility and avoidance stats.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Double attack, status appliers, weird aoe magic, what's not to love.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

jokes posted:

Double attack, status appliers, weird aoe magic, what's not to love.

Their stat growth. Ninja's have to be leveled as something else to get any milage, otherwise their growth is wasted on non-stats.

Your best bet is leveling them as a rune fencer, then switching at level cap.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

War Wizard posted:

Their stat growth. Ninja's have to be leveled as something else to get any milage, otherwise their growth is wasted on non-stats.

Stat growth is a non-factor in this version. Every single class gets 2.x to every stat every level, and x isn't terribly big. If you level a character 1-50 in Terror Knight vs Ninja, the difference in their highest and lowest stats (if you switch them both to the same class) is like 5.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Yeah I get it, the dead stats are really annoying even if they're kinda a whatever if you plan to grind PotD in the endgame. I'm more pissed about ninjas falling off rapidly after their introduction because you don't get an upgraded offensive ninjutsu until the post game, it's kinda wtf.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stat growth is definitely noticeable, but with the following caveats:
  • You probably won't notice until pretty late in the game.
  • By the time it's noticeable, every stat except MP is fairly easily fixable with stat charms, which can be gotten repeatedly in PotD and San Bronsa.
  • Even max MP isn't that huge of a deal except for casters who might cap out with Meditate IV, and even then, anything above like 200 is probably fine.
And really, the kinds of things Ninja is good at aren't really all that stat-dependent. Their ability to rain down status effects with a bow is fantastic and it doesn't matter if they do 1 or 100 damage with their shot because the real prize is the poison or silence they applied.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Last Celebration posted:

Holy poo poo healing got screwed hard. How much/little did it add to the formula in the SNES/PSP versions, because having the mind bonus to HP restored be 0.05 of the stat is…what’s even the point?

That seems about the same as the psp version. It probably wasn't changed at all. It really should have been, especially with the inflated hp pools.

Or just change Mother's Mercy Blessing back to an on demand ability instead of a chance to proc.

e: I did mean blessing :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 11, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or just change Mother's Mercy back to an on demand ability instead of a chance to proc.

If you mean Mother’s Blessing, this would fix most of the issues I have with Cleric. Basically just make it healer Mighty Impact: you spend some extra MP for a beefier heal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or have both an on-demand and a random ability that can play off each other. Double a healing via Mother's Blessing, the other one, or do both for a QUAD HEAL!!!!!!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, I almost wish healing mp costs were tuned down.

It makes sense to me balance wise if healers can consistently mitigate one basic attack worth of damage per turn almost guaranteed and then spend mp to cover finishers and focused targeting.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Just get your healer a Skill Card. Just one feels like it doubles their potential. Though it is a lame requirement to make them decent seeing as it's pretty random if one appears in your rear line.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

War Wizard posted:

I think you’re misremembering how accuracy works in FFTA (or at least A1) — it was based on what side of the target you’re attacking. Since it was often pretty easy to make side or back attacks, I can kinda see where you’re coming from, but the basic melee jobs had only a 50% chance to be hit from the front before taking a shield into account.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No game has ever been improved by having the player miss on normal attacks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I disagree, but specifically in situations where the player can do something to mitigate the chance of missing, because then it turns into something to strategize around. If you can increase your accuracy by attacking from the side or behind, or using the high ground, etc., then the miss chance isn't just an annoying RNG factor, but something that you need to consider in how you move and attack.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All of that, attacking from side or behind or from a higher height would be better if it just made you hit harder. I hit for 50 from the front, or 75 from the back.

Any game that allows you to mitigate the chance of missing by increasing an accuracy stat is just instituting a stat tax, which is why MMOs and ARPGs (basically the game is numbers) don't let you miss anymore.

I would always pick a class that does 1x damage and hits every time over the class that hits for 2x damage and misses half the time because who wants to be disappointed during a player's turn?

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2023

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

There's still a miss effect that comes into play with parry, and since it's a separate roll the accuracy % isn't affected. At some point in chapter 4 (mainly in optional dungeons) enemies start getting more equipment with parry effects and it's noticeable. I feel like that could have been handled better in the UI, but it would just hide the fact that agility and avoid stats don't do much.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

jokes posted:

I've got an interesting idea for an XCom mod now.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

jokes posted:

Games have been improved by having the enemy miss attacks (:colbert:) and in a strategy RPG especially it'd be pretty weird and blatant if you only gave that to one side.

Admittedly, I would agree specifically for TO Reborn that misses generally (generally!) not really being a thing is for the better, just because of how drawn-out fights are already. Though I'd also agree that I'd wish it was an intentional feature and not a bug, if only so I would get actually useful cards and charms instead of those related to AGI and AVO...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I feel like healing is in a decent spot. It's enough to help keep your front line units that's are defense heavy out there taking hits but it's not really going to save your soft targets if they get caught surrounded or focus fired. The problem with healing is that they give you too many inventory healing items and a lot of you run around with the lobber skill which means that you effectively have a ton of full heals on demand.

It's kind of similar to MP, where it's a fine thing except the introduction of items to restore it completely throws it out of whack.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DalaranJ posted:

Chaos Gate already did it

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

The best moves in XCom tend to be ones that don't miss (grenades for days).

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Random question: does luck affect drop rates? I was hoping that by equipping my units with crafted Luck accessories, it would make getting the Apocrypha 2 spells a tad easier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Equeen posted:

Random question: does luck affect drop rates? I was hoping that by equipping my units with crafted Luck accessories, it would make getting the Apocrypha 2 spells a tad easier.

I don't think so. Luck just seems to affect crit rate.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

It did in the SNES/PSX version, but it hasn't in LUCT or Reborn.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Floor 100 conquered Palace Guidebook III received (as well as secrets of the master and a pinion/rack). Finally!

Now time to rewind back to a much simpler time in a much more chaotic route...

Edit: gently caress that, I want some CODA stuff. Guess I'm finishing this now that everyone is alive.

Edit 2: A secret passage? Awesome.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 13, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I went to San Bronsa to get a Divine Knight. Now that I recruited the first one I saw should I even bother with this place for now? I'm kinda of burned out from PotD and the extra magic/relics don't seem super necessary, so I might just world back and go back to doing a different story route. Is there anything I absolutely mustn't miss?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

War Wizard posted:

I went to San Bronsa to get a Divine Knight. Now that I recruited the first one I saw should I even bother with this place for now? I'm kinda of burned out from PotD and the extra magic/relics don't seem super necessary, so I might just world back and go back to doing a different story route. Is there anything I absolutely mustn't miss?

All the good drops / loot start in part 2. Feel free to leave and do the other routes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

War Wizard posted:

The level 2 summons and instruments/songs are good, but otoh the summons/songs/instruments are primarily good because they will help you in San Bronsa, and also Iuria's starting instrument is the one that has Restore MP + Spellcraft and that by itself is good enough that you don't really need any of her other instruments or songs.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I got the instrument manual. And I got a fire drum from PotD. Not too worried about her since I don't even know where to fit her into the party.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The tier 2 summons are the biggest prize in San Bronsa and are worth it if you're doing the rest of CODA. Bigger range, AoE, and they deal up to 7 hits. A lot of other spell upgrades drop there too. Snipe bracers and gators are also very good drops there. The gators give +2 move and have boon of swiftness charges, but not many classes can equip them.

I actually found Iuria to be pretty good for support. One of her instruments has the song that puts HP regen on everyone, great for a 1st turn action and it restores a surprising amount of HP. The effect really takes the edge off nearly all enemy attacks, aside from CODA bosses or special PotD encounters that can deal ~1k.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
If you're not just feeding casters elixirs then Luria is a pretty decent MP battery on top of providing spell strike which frees up a space in the skill list for other stuff.

Also unlike POTD San Bronsa is fairly quick. It's 1/5th the size and only a couple of the battles have annoying layouts that drag out the battle.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Recruited Luria for the first time, and it's nice to have a source of spell strike! I decided to head back into POTD now that I can make guidebooks and let the AI run the drop gacha for me at floor 75+, then move on to San Bronsa.

Are armor sets a thing anymore?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prowler posted:

Recruited Luria for the first time, and it's nice to have a source of spell strike! I decided to head back into POTD now that I can make guidebooks and let the AI run the drop gacha for me at floor 75+, then move on to San Bronsa.

Are armor sets a thing anymore?

Yes, but there weren't that many anyways. For the Dragonslayer and Evil Deeds sets, make sure you actually equip the skill once you put on the set pieces otherwise you won't be able to use it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Okay, so I’m going through some of the shrines to unlock shaman. Cool. As a reward for each, I get an elemental spell. Awesome. Except Earthquake doesn’t really seem any better than CragFall 2. I haven’t done extensive testing but I don’t think it does any more damage. What am I missing?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

crestfallen posted:

Okay, so I’m going through some of the shrines to unlock shaman. Cool. As a reward for each, I get an elemental spell. Awesome. Except Earthquake doesn’t really seem any better than CragFall 2. I haven’t done extensive testing but I don’t think it does any more damage. What am I missing?

It’s not a massive difference I don’t think, maybe 15-20% more damage. It is more but you might just be working from a small sample size if you tried it on someone resistant to that element

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The level 1 Apocrypha spells aren't that much better than the standard indirect spells. It's the level 2s that are really good (and also really expensive at 90 mana).