Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/1613204131673522176

OK so it turns out our guys can't hit it that hard

That's all Baez needed, time for his breakout return to form season!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

drat there go all the "only Comerica keeps it in" tweets from would it dong

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Correa goes to sign the contract when a sudden gust of wind blows it out a window and Correa chases it only for another gust to blow it down the street and then onto a passing boat going down the river where it is plastered onto a crate that is loaded onto a bigger boat as Correa runs after it.

imagining the Ratatouille scene except through the Minneapolis skyways

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Home run robberies are the most exciting defensive play in baseball so lowering wall heights to further facilitate that is good.

Comerica has always had a goofy deep dead center field so I guess this is fine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
412ft is still very deep, if you hit a ball 405ft and it's a warning track shot that's rough.

There should be a stadium with reverse field dimensions where the corners are 400ft and center field is 330ft. Reward hitters who drive the ball up the middle and punish pull only power hitters.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Angels just need to trade Jo Adell already

Their GM said that he and Moniak are going to start this season in the minors

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1613203470634422272?s=46&t=9FI5Mmy-J2sLo0lbWUAY-g

Nobody has a clue what the starting lineup is.

I thought Fletcher had earned an everyday job, but whatever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

412ft is still very deep, if you hit a ball 405ft and it's a warning track shot that's rough.

There should be a stadium with reverse field dimensions where the corners are 400ft and center field is 330ft. Reward hitters who drive the ball up the middle and punish pull only power hitters.

would be hilarious to see all the inside the parkers after the ball hits the wall and skips into the corner

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Popete posted:

The inverse Polo Grounds. I love it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

More aesthetically pleasing: moonshot homeruns that go super high or line drive homeruns that get into the seats before you can blink?

I'm a moonshot fan myself, you can admire it for a long time

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

More aesthetically pleasing: moonshot homeruns that go super high or line drive homeruns that get into the seats before you can blink?

I'm a moonshot fan myself, you can admire it for a long time

e: so basically the Yordan 3 run dong against the Phillies or the Yordan walkoff against the Mariners? :v:

Best of both worlds: Stanton line drives that go 415 feet somehow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh moonshots for sure.

Fun fact, moonshots have come to mean absolute bombs but they were originally the opposite, named after Wally Moon who was traded to the Dodgers in 1959. He was worried about playing in the Colosseum because he was a lefty and the RF wall was FOUR FORTY but left was only two fifty. So he worked with Stan the Man to adjust his stance for better opposite field "power" and became known for towering wallscrapers over that short rear end porch and such homers became known as moon shots. Over time the term changed because it makes more sense and no one knows who Wally Moon is anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also not to clown on one of the best hitters of all time but is Musial the guy you want to go to for batting stance advice?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Best of both worlds: Stanton line drives that go 415 feet somehow

dang you caught me before I edited the Yordan thing out, I felt it was unnecessary

e: I guess to be more fair.... the Pujols shot off Lidge or the Schwarber shot off Framber?

No, that's not fair either, the Pujols shot isn't just some typical moonshot HR. IDK

zoux posted:

Oh moonshots for sure.

Fun fact, moonshots have come to mean absolute bombs but they were originally the opposite, named after Wally Moon who was traded to the Dodgers in 1959. He was worried about playing in the Colosseum because he was a lefty and the RF wall was FOUR FORTY but left was only two fifty. So he worked with Stan the Man to adjust his stance for better opposite field "power" and became known for towering wallscrapers over that short rear end porch and such homers became known as moon shots. Over time the term changed because it makes more sense and no one knows who Wally Moon is anymore.

The guy from Red Dead Redemption who hates Jewish people?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 11, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The true Clean King

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 11, 2023

stump collector
May 28, 2007
64HR in 136 games is pretty good, but can he pitch?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Over time the term changed because it makes more sense and no one knows who Wally Moon is anymore.

"Phew. They named a home run after me. At least people will forget these eye brows"
- Wally Moon, probably

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Welcome...to my Menagerie of Delights!

p sure he's about to assassinate Lincoln

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I can't believe Correa got 31 years and $865 million this offseason

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I can't believe Correa got 31 years and $865 million this offseason

Pohlads were uncharacteristically generous this year.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
One of my greatest in person fan moments was seeing a Russell Branyan moonshot that went into the upper deck. And it was a freaking foul ball but it was so majestic the entire crowd was in awe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If I fly out and someone tags up and advances from 2B to 3B, does that count as a sac fly?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

If I fly out and someone tags up and advances from 2B to 3B, does that count as a sac fly?

No, only if they score.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Weird, why is that?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would guess because moving a runner over from 2nd -> 3rd is difficult to do and usually requires a fast runner on 2b and a sufficiently deep fly ball and the idea is you probably aren't doing that on purpose as it's usually of limited value without the run scoring.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

zoux posted:

Welcome...to my Menagerie of Delights!

The gift basket is also velvet

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It doesn't count in the scorebook but it does guarantee that the announcer will laud the player for playing the game the right way.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Red posted:

Nobody has a clue what the starting lineup is.

I thought Fletcher had earned an everyday job, but whatever.

Opening day is probably

C: Stassi unless O'Hoppe had a great off-season
1B: Walsh but Urshela will get plenty of reps
2B: Rengifo?
3B: Rendon until he breaks his hand in spring training
SS: Fletcher?
OF: Trout, Renfroe, Ward
DH: Ohtani

The outfield is set but that infield is going to be a huge rotation of Rengifo/Fletcher/Walsh/Urshela/Rendon/Drury with Soto/Velasquez on the taxi squad and maybe a late season appearance by Neto.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

R.D. Mangles posted:

It doesn't count in the scorebook but it does guarantee that the announcer will laud the player for playing the game the right way.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

flying out to advance a runner gives you more clutch rating in mlb the show, but not as much as a sac fly

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Opening day is probably

C: Stassi unless O'Hoppe had a great off-season
1B: Walsh but Urshela will get plenty of reps
2B: Rengifo?
3B: Rendon until he breaks his hand in spring training
SS: Fletcher?
OF: Trout, Renfroe, Ward
DH: Ohtani

The outfield is set but that infield is going to be a huge rotation of Rengifo/Fletcher/Walsh/Urshela/Rendon/Drury with Soto/Velasquez on the taxi squad and maybe a late season appearance by Neto.

They love the poo poo out of Rengifo for some reason, but then why sign Drury?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Weird, why is that?

Same reason a sac bunt counts for every base a runner gets but ground outs do not.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Red posted:

They love the poo poo out of Rengifo for some reason, but then why sign Drury?

Depth, because it's inevitable that at least 4 of those infielders will be on the IL at the same time lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/AramLeighton8/status/1612994837870952449

Some third baseman, doesn't even spell his last name right

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Depth, because it's inevitable that at least 4 of those infielders will be on the IL at the same time lol

Paying Drury $17m to back up the most fragile player in baseball was a shrewd move

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is SS considered that much more difficult that 3B?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Is SS considered that much more difficult that 3B?

You field balls that are deeper through the infield and your momentum carries you away from first base more often

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

You field balls that are deeper through the infield and your momentum carries you away from first base more often

You're also playing 2B almost as much as the actual 2B.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Not anymore!

e:

this just crossed my timeline and oh my god I will not be complaining about any dead spots in the lineup for at least the first month of the season

https://twitter.com/astro_numbers/status/1613205814235332608

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

I would guess because moving a runner over from 2nd -> 3rd is difficult to do and usually requires a fast runner on 2b and a sufficiently deep fly ball and the idea is you probably aren't doing that on purpose as it's usually of limited value without the run scoring.

I've been shamefully operating my whole life thinking that a sac fly can advance a runner to third if there are less than 2 outs after the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

3rd base was once considered the easiest infield positions to play by MLB players because they felt it was just a reaction position.