Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hyphz posted:

Not necessarily. Bear in mind that those four players' enthusiasm will potentially be dampened seriously by the fact that they know the fifth either isn't enjoying themselves or was pushed out of participating by their preference. In practice groups choose compromise much more often than turn-taking. And 5e may well have been designed to be the easiest compromise.

Nope. Stop role playing with your lovely friends, hyph. Start role playing with people who like to role play.

Edit: After this thread snipe, I may never post again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Tsilkani posted:

If you're gonna ignore four players' enthusiasm just to get the fifth guy going 'okay, I guess' you are doing a grave disservice to all 5 players.

LOL, you weirdos, this is an entirely non-existent dynamic anyway. No players are saying "meh" to DnD5e, or to a less extent Pathfinder. Completely the opposite, those games are getting the enthusiastic "Yeahs!", to the point where there are too many drat players for the number of DMs. My local gaming store has a "Learn D&D night!" once a month and the owner has DMs come in and run games for newbies and every time he needs to post on the Discord that the room's full, please come by to shop, but there's no more room at the tables for DnD.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Thanlis posted:

Oh god, they're rumored to be using the same lawyers who drafted the first OGL.
Where did this come from?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OtspIII posted:

I think this is true, but I also think it's more complicated than it sounds.

Like, people are into the flavor and setting of D&D, not Forgotten Realms. There is something about the vibe of D&D that resonates with people, but it's not at all tied to any specific D&D setting. I think it's a mix of half "generic fantasy" and half "natural 20s and the dumb poo poo that happens because of the tension between narrative and mechanics".

HEY

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There's a good condensation of what's known and unknown on Ars Technica...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/01/rpg-fans-irate-as-dd-tries-to-shut-its-open-game-license/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

LOL, you weirdos, this is an entirely non-existent dynamic anyway. No players are saying "meh" to DnD5e, or to a less extent Pathfinder. Completely the opposite, those games are getting the enthusiastic "Yeahs!", to the point where there are too many drat players for the number of DMs. My local gaming store has a "Learn D&D night!" once a month and the owner has DMs come in and run games for newbies and every time he needs to post on the Discord that the room's full, please come by to shop, but there's no more room at the tables for DnD.
Why would you be playing with randos from a game store instead of any existing friend group? The dynamic you're calling non-existent is playing with your friends, and your friends having opinions.

Have you never had a game group that lasts for long enough for people to want a system change?

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 11, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, you're posting on a forum with a bunch of jaded RPG guys, many of whom have their own designs so they kinda wishcast things. People really do like D&D, whatever problems it might have as the platonic ideal of design.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

You actually managed to sell me pretty well on Forgotten Realms! But it does seem true that podcasts do better with D&D than other systems, but also that they don't get any boost from using an established setting over their own homebrew.

(For context, Ariva ran a FR game for a while way off away from the main zone that was actually really fun and interesting.)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why would you be playing with randos from a game store instead of any existing friend group?

Have you never had a game group that lasts for long enough for people to want a system change?

What a bizarre question. Gaming stores run these kinds of things to introduce people to the game. I've never played in them because I learned D&D3e my freshmen year and have been the designated DM for something like 22 years, but plenty of people want to get into DnD without having someone to show them how the mechanics of the game works. Newbie sessions in the table room of gaming stores are great because you aren't wandering into some randos house, there are vending machines, and lots of other people having fun, and usually the DM is there to handhold and help the person learn the rules in a low-stress game.

I've been DMing some version of DnD3e/3.5/Pathfinder1e/2e for 22 years with lots of different friend groups with campaigns lasting years in some cases. Sometimes we take breaks and do random other systems for like Halloween or something, but most of these guys and gals just want to play D&D and aren't interested in learning a new system.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

This is a bit back but this article brings up a really interesting point re: integrating flavor text and naturalistic language into rules descriptions:

quote:

For example, if I want to describe a magic spell that turns someone invisible in a game, a non-copyrightable way to do it might be:

Invisibility spell: You must speak magic words and touch your target. When you do, they become invisible for one hour. You may end this spell whenever you wish. This spell ends automatically if your target makes an attack or casts a spell.

While there are different word choices that could be made in some places, this is a functional description of how the spell works as a game mechanic. You have to speak, so it doesn’t work if you’re gagged. You have to touch the target, so you need to be close to them. And so on. Functional descriptions aren’t copyrightable.

Here’s a different version:

Kit’s Shroud of Concealment spell: Incant “stars’ blight upon all sight” and touch your target. When you do, the spirits of the constellations descend to wrap them in an unearthly mist that makes them invisible for one hour. You may send the spirits home whenever you wish, ending the spell. The spirits depart automatically if your target makes an attack or casts a spell. This spell was developed by the Sorceress-Lawyer Kit when she negotiated the contract between the Tower of Sorcery and the Constellation Spirits in the year of the Fallen Mountain.

If all that additional text is just fluff with no game consequences, this version probably contains some elements that are copyrightable.

I hadn't stopped to consider how the way, say, 3e spell descriptions are written might be incentivized because of how all the fluffy details specifically embed the spell in D&Disms that might push it into protected IP territory.

Siivola posted:

I'm sorry, who?

The ex-professional marketing drone who can't go a full sentence without saying "Buy my game: Zweihander RPG."

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There's absolutely established gaming groups who are neutral-to-cool about D&D. That's not the same thing as new people who are interested in trying D&D because that is the most notable TTRPG and therefore the one people seek out to play. I don't see how your anecdote completely destroyed someone else's slightly different one.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Look, I know D&D is absolutely gonna get 'yeahs' all around the table, but if someone wants to use it as the 'meh' example when talking about shutting down the majority's enthusiasm in service to the Geek Social Fallacies of including everyone, I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on to pointing out the other absurdities in the example.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OtspIII posted:

You actually managed to sell me pretty well on Forgotten Realms! But it does seem true that podcasts do better with D&D than other systems, but also that they don't get any boost from using an established setting over their own homebrew.

(For context, Ariva ran a FR game for a while way off away from the main zone that was actually really fun and interesting.)

see, see, forgotten realms georg does have a point!!!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also, nostalgia is huge right now and D&D has been riding it to the bank since Mearls caved in to the grogs. All kinds of old and busted games have been revamped recently and done reasonably well: Vampire, Cyberpunk, Traveller, even Twilight: 2000.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tsilkani posted:

Look, I know D&D is absolutely gonna get 'yeahs' all around the table, but if someone wants to use it as the 'meh' example when talking about shutting down the majority's enthusiasm in service to the Geek Social Fallacies of including everyone, I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on to pointing out the other absurdities in the example.

If it helps, hyphz is a golem with the geek social fallacies carved into his forehead to animate him, so it's best not to engage at all with his hypotheticals.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
For what it's worth I think a number of the changes they are making to ODD are pretty smart and good changes.

It's going to be very funny when they manage to make a much much better game that everyone hates because of dumb business decisions again.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Why would you be playing with randos from a game store instead of any existing friend group? The dynamic you're calling non-existent is playing with your friends, and your friends having opinions.

My old RPG friends are scattered around the country. Running and playing 4e and then 5e with rando newbies in game stores is how I met my current friends and met a lot of other interesting people besides. As for game groups lasting long enough for a system change from D&D, I've not had that luck. Either the game I'm running falls apart after x sessions because I'm mentally ill, or people get new jobs, have kids, move out of town, that sort of thing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Where did this come from?

Quote from a Discord, posted on rpg.net. I will emphasize “rumor” because it’s not well sourced beyond one report.

Paizo survey page: https://email.paizo.com/p/4XTJ-7AU/thank-you

Post: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thr...0/post-24652007

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Dexo posted:

For what it's worth I think a number of the changes they are making to ODD are pretty smart and good changes.

It's going to be very funny when they manage to make a much much better game that everyone hates because of dumb business decisions again.

If they fix martials in this edition by giving them maneuvers, fixed fighting stances and changing weapons to be more then just damage dice but piss everyone else off with GSL 2 I am going to laugh and cry. However not too hopeful considering how they changed rogues so far haha.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Octavo posted:

French OSR company The Merry Mushmen have decided to strip the new edition of The Black Sword Hack of the traditional names for the six ability scores and they’re going to publish without the OGL. It’s interesting that people think Hasbro will sue over any game that has the 6 ability scores. They’re probably right.

Even if it isn't true, I want everyone making their new games to believe it is true.

"Whatever number of attributes you pick, if you even want to put them in, don't make it 6; and don't reuse any of the names, especially Intelligence. Wizards will sue you if you have 6 attributes in your system."

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One interesting thing to note: Modiphius's 2d20 Community Content License bans AI-generated images.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What a bizarre question. Gaming stores run these kinds of things to introduce people to the game. I've never played in them because I learned D&D3e my freshmen year and have been the designated DM for something like 22 years, but plenty of people want to get into DnD without having someone to show them how the mechanics of the game works. Newbie sessions in the table room of gaming stores are great because you aren't wandering into some randos house, there are vending machines, and lots of other people having fun, and usually the DM is there to handhold and help the person learn the rules in a low-stress game.

I've been DMing some version of DnD3e/3.5/Pathfinder1e/2e for 22 years with lots of different friend groups with campaigns lasting years in some cases. Sometimes we take breaks and do random other systems for like Halloween or something, but most of these guys and gals just want to play D&D and aren't interested in learning a new system.
I am familiar with learning to play sessions at game stores. It's bizarre that you keep bringing them up when people are discussing regularly playing a ttrpg. You are presumably not going to treat players as interchangeable, and thus the preferences of your players are relevant. Also you're literally not playing D&D, you're playing a different TTRPG and calling it D&D as shorthand.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CitizenKeen posted:

One interesting thing to note: Modiphius's 2d20 Community Content License bans AI-generated images.

A supplement filled with AI art feels like the TTRPG version of those awful Steam asset flips.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Finster Dexter posted:

A supplement filled with AI art feels like the TTRPG version of those awful Steam asset flips.

I think it’d be the opposite; real art assets but filled with AI generated game (text).

I personally wouldn’t care if an indie game used AI art assuming they curated it to not look like poo poo and the actual game was good.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

I am familiar with learning to play sessions at game stores. It's bizarre that you keep bringing them up when people are discussing regularly playing a ttrpg. You are presumably not going to treat players as interchangeable, and thus the preferences of your players are relevant. Also you're literally not playing D&D, you're playing a different TTRPG and calling it D&D as shorthand.

First, I love that you edited your original post to imply I didn't have any friends after I quoted you :chefs kiss:. Second, I reference my gaming store because that's where I play games. There are tables there and my friends and I game there because we all have families and kids and it's easier to just meet there and play into the night without us waking anyone up if we get loud. We are by far not the only long-term group of players who use their local gaming store as their meeting place rather than their homes. While playing in the table room I also encounter other people that play games and thus I'm sharing my experience with 1) the level of relative interest new people have for learning D&D, 2) the fact that most players outside the internet don't seem to even know this is going on and will likely not be making any major changes to their habits unless their DM mentions it.

And, yes, I do play DnD5e ya dingus. I just am not the DM in those games, but I've been a player in the same group here for years.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it’d be the opposite; real art assets but filled with AI generated game (text).

I personally wouldn’t care if an indie game used AI art assuming they curated it to not look like poo poo and the actual game was good.

This is where it needs to be reiterated that AI art generators as they are now are cultivated by taking other people's art without permission and using it to make imagery.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Circutron posted:

This is where it needs to be reiterated that AI art generators as they are now are cultivated by taking other people's art without permission and using it to make imagery.

Modiphius posted:

What art should not be used in products I create for 2d20 World Builders?
  • AI Art (e.g. Midjourney, Dall-E). Until there is a system in place to recompense artists for their inclusion in AI art databases we do not approve of the use of AI art within content posted as part of this programme.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Bookstores that sell star wars and star trek and battletech novels tend to also sell those RPGs, and the ones that don't have those books in the SF/Fantasy section are less likely to carry anything other than D&D (or any RPGs at all). I'm much more likely to see warhammer RPG stuff in a random bookstore than Fate or Traveler.

Today sorta feels a bit to me like when TSR went under and Wizards picked them up in 1997. It felt like a sea change, a lot of people were terrified of what the Magic the Gathering people were going to "do to D&D", and there were lots of other systems to play that were becoming quite popular, especially world of darkness, which had tons of appeal to the goth subculture that arose in the 1980s and bloomed in the 1990s. As well as a recent proliferation of vampire movies and TV shows.

Then Wizards put out a playable edition of D&D, supported it, revised it fairly quickly, and the OGL gave dozens of small press publishers permission to slap a D20 logo on their supplements and that helped them get them onto racks at game stores much more easily than before.

I think the parallel I'm drawing is that the OGL1.1, if the leaked version is unrevised, may feed at least a short-term boost in sales to other game systems, especially ones that have strong cultural crossover. I don't know what that'd be exactly - maybe lord of the rings, which has been sustained with continuing movies and TV series, or maybe something anime-flavored, which is far more mainstream now than it was in 1997 america. Maybe it's a non-OGL-tainted Pathfinder, just because it feels like D&D, in a reprise of 2008's schism. I dunno.

But my bet is that it's not system that sells whatever might step into the market share. I think large swathes of people are attracted to a game for its flavor and its setting. Actual Plays feed into that, they (wisely) tend to elide exposing mechanical complexity in favor of the drama and storytelling that comes from the setting and its flavor. I'm an Old so I'm not well connected to whatever the biggest or rising subcultures are among younger people these days, I'd be interested in some conversation around that.

And I'd bet there's a good chance that D&D, in some form, would recover and reclaim the market inside 5 years or so. Nostalgia is incredibly powerful. It'd just have to be playable and supported with enough supplements to keep people engaged, whether those are third-party or first-party.
Actually if this led to "pathfinder 3E: gently caress it we're ditching CON" I'd be so down.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

Actually if this led to "pathfinder 3E: gently caress it we're ditching CON" I'd be so down.

Lol if this happens before the Kineticist is released.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thanlis posted:

Oh god, they're rumored to be using the same lawyers who drafted the first OGL.
That is some commitment to the bit.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

That is already an optional rule in the PF2e DMG.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

That is already an optional rule in the PF2e DMG.
Yeah but did you see what their alternative spread is, it's somehow even worse. Also you can't just sub out the ability scores of a crunchy game designed (lol) around a different set of ability scores. Well, unless your game is so incredibly poorly designed and balanced that the ripple effects of completely reconstructing the foundations of the system are lost in the general morass of disorganised gibberish oh wait we're talking a pathfinder game carry on.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the mental stats are pretty well balanced with the change. Pretty much every character is going to want perception and will saves, so breaking them up makes sense.

For the physical stats, Dexterity ironically seems kinda anemic. It inherits Strength's problem of being useful only if you want it for attacks, and Thievery seems like way more niche benefit to pair with a stat that weak than Athletics and encumbrance. I think if you just pull the trigger on divorcing HP from Strength, you're almost there. It means every stat has something every character wants (Fortitude, Reflex, Will, Perception, and more skill access) instead of there being some universal easy dump. But I think you'd need to find something to give back to Dexterity in that case, and I'm not sure what you'd pick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yeah but did you see what their alternative spread is, it's somehow even worse. Also you can't just sub out the ability scores of a crunchy game designed (lol) around a different set of ability scores. Well, unless your game is so incredibly poorly designed and balanced that the ripple effects of completely reconstructing the foundations of the system are lost in the general morass of disorganised gibberish oh wait we're talking a d&d game carry on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:hmmyes:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bee posted:

For the physical stats, Dexterity ironically seems kinda anemic. It inherits Strength's problem of being useful only if you want it for attacks, and Thievery seems like way more niche benefit to pair with a stat that weak than Athletics and encumbrance. I think if you just pull the trigger on divorcing HP from Strength, you're almost there. It means every stat has something every character wants (Fortitude, Reflex, Will, Perception, and more skill access) instead of there being some universal easy dump. But I think you'd need to find something to give back to Dexterity in that case, and I'm not sure what you'd pick.
If you just moosh con and str together then you have a stat pretty comparable to dex. The only reason to subsequently recreate the str/con problem by splitting dex is if they had no actual understanding of the str/con issue but heard it as a thing that people complain about, so here's your combined str/con but you gotta have three physical stats it's tradition!!! Just moosh str and con and leave dex alone the world won't end if they only have five stats!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Then do it for int and wis too. 4 stat supremacy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Just use a "mind" stat and a "body" stat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

For all that the company is rightly maligned, maybe the Tri-stat system was just ahead of its time

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bottom Liner posted:

Let me tell you about the Weird Wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Just use a "mind" stat and a "body" stat.
One stat and it is Dice.