Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Steam Deck seems to be selling well, right? And I guess PC sales in general are stagnant or declining after the pandemic boom has died down. Is there a point where MS has to start worrying about a huge glut of non-Windows PCs built specifically for gaming? Steam machines were kind of a wet fart, but Steam Deck seems like it's taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah because as soon as you start mixing and matching components like a regular pc you’re back to “maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t, who knows!” and nobody gives a poo poo about that who isn’t already invested in a gaming PC that almost certainly runs windows like it always has and always will do.

Half the magic of the steam deck is a fixed hardware target so things can definitively be nailed down as working/not working.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Finster Dexter posted:

Is there a point where MS has to start worrying about a huge glut of non-Windows PCs built specifically for gaming?

No. Maybe if SteamOS comes out as a thing you can install yourself without hacks but even then there’s not 100% compatibility especially with the big multiplayer games people want PCs to play. Then there’s also bad driver compatibility with non-AMD hardware, and the fact that you can make Steam on Windows open in the new big picture UI that would just give you the same experience without the above issues.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's primarily a console that runs PC games, which is what I personally wanted: ease of use and the huge library of games I already own.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I loving hate that clicking sticks is now a defacto standard of input, it's terrible.

I wish I could just map the stick clicks to the back paddles system wide, it's almost always the first change to the default controls I make. Getting a 3rd party joycon set with back paddles was an absolute game-changer for Switch too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

No. Maybe if SteamOS comes out as a thing you can install yourself without hacks but even then there’s not 100% compatibility especially with the big multiplayer games people want PCs to play. Then there’s also bad driver compatibility with non-AMD hardware, and the fact that you can make Steam on Windows open in the new big picture UI that would just give you the same experience without the above issues.

steamos is already a thing you can download and install, but obviously it won't be as seamless as on a deck

also it will afaik nuke everything on that pc

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm cool with clicking sticks for like zooming into a map or going into first person to aim something but I hate it for sprinting and really hate that so many things use "L3 + R3" to activate poo poo during combat. Any time I'm playing on steam deck or with my 8bitdo controllers I map those to one of the back buttons if possible. It's funny emulating a bunch of older games that had the option to put things on the clicks and chose not to, they feel way better to me to play a lot of the time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Toggle crouch on L3 is fine. Sprint is dumb, but unless it wastes stamina it shouldn't be a separate button on an analog stick anyways. I didn't like using it to activate the speed booster in Metroid Dread, so I remapped that to the L4 (or equivalent) when I could. Generally though I don't try to "map L3 to something else" but figure out what toggle-able control would work well on L3/R3 and map that to it instead.

On the Deck I've been using L3 as the emulator fast forward button, except in PrimeHack where I have L3/R3 mapped to - and + and it works pretty well there. Like in Corruption, mashing R3 to go into hypermode works pretty well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress stick clicks for real.

njsykora posted:

Microsoft has gotten Linux-friendlier in recent years. Windows for consumers has been trending closer to free and ad-supported as well. My impression is their big money comes from corporations who can not or will not move their day-to-day operations away from Windows, Office, Exchange, Active Directory etc. What are you going to do, install Ubuntu and Libre Office on all your poo poo, use Novell for device management, and support all that in-house with what little you can Google about it? Not going to happen.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 11, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that’s the other thing, Microsoft doesn’t care what platform you’re on so long as your buying (or more realistically, subscribing) to their poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I recently bought and got into Sea of Thieves, and (even if the multiplayer is borked) I plan on buying the Halo MCC sometime in the future.

I own all of the Dooms, some of which were purchased recently, and I'm onboard with the next Elder Scrolls game. Minecraft Dungeons is a fantastic cross platform game that I can play with my sons, me on the Steam deck, them on the Switch.

MS is still getting my money, it's just that none of it will be for buying Windows or their latest MS Office version. However, I work in an organization with over 10,000 employees, all running windows, all using Office.

I'm glad to pay them for games if they're both available and good.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is there a thread recommendation on a battery pack that clips onto the back of the deck? Or a generic battery pack clip thing?

Loving playing Yakuza on this thing but I have like 2 hours of battery max.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Decided to emulate Onimusha 3. Dropping an army of demons on modern day France is a drat good way to kick off an action game I gotta say.

Game is still a looker too, the static camera angles probably have something to do with that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nancy posted:

Is there a thread recommendation on a battery pack that clips onto the back of the deck? Or a generic battery pack clip thing?

Loving playing Yakuza on this thing but I have like 2 hours of battery max.

There's a thing called the Deck Mate that allows you to attach a bunch of stuff to the back modularly: https://deckmate.me/

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sigher posted:

There's a thing called the Deck Mate that allows you to attach a bunch of stuff to the back modularly: https://deckmate.me/

Thanks! Seems like exactly what I was looking for.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I hate to ask this, but are people ACTUALLY mounting their steam decks to walls or VESA mounts, or is that just a running joke? Do people just happen to have free VESA mounts installed to their walls nowadays?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes people are just taking their TV or monitor off temporarily and mounting them as a joke

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's the ideal way to play really

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How easy is it to put a skin on the Deck?

Some of the dBrand skins look cool, but I've heard people say the Deck's geometry makes applying them difficult.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Annath posted:

How easy is it to put a skin on the Deck?

Some of the dBrand skins look cool, but I've heard people say the Deck's geometry makes applying them difficult.

I applied one to mine in October or November, the process was pretty annoying but not terrible. You mostly just really need a heat gun or hair dryer or something to help the decal itself form around corners and edges. Even then though unless I did it wrong (probably), it still has a tendency to bunch up along the sides/bottom where your palms might sit. I've also noticed two areas on the back where I must have been stretching it too tightly? Because the decal has lifted off a bit instead of curving around the spot underneath the L5/R5 buttons. I bought mine off ZoomHitSkins on etsy so I'm not sure how the quality compares to other brands, I just went with a design I liked without doing much research.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I found it to be more annoying than it's worth to apply a skin. It looks nice, but I didn't do the best job and the cut wasn't that great, so I parts that have creases and folds. It's a slop job, but eh, I'd probably never do it again.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I ended up selling my Switch over the holidays and exchanged the pile of busted joycons I had lying around for a new PS5 controller and a charging station. I don't have a PS5, but this controller is great for playing docked. Super easy to setup and no noticeable delay over Bluetooth. I reckon if this keeps working well I will probably end up selling off my Xbox Series S as well later this year!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got some olive oil (long story) under my screen protector so a skin would get hosed up in an even more stupid and absurd way.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

jokes posted:

I got some olive oil (long story) under my screen protector

how long does it take to say "i'm italian?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have the dbrand “internals” skin on the back and the leather one on the front and I like them. Especially how the leather feels, I have to say. I wasn’t quite patient enough so I have a tiny bit of bunching in the corners of the palm grips, but I don’t notice it unless I go looking for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jokes posted:

I got some olive oil (long story) under my screen protector so a skin would get hosed up in an even more stupid and absurd way.

The hair product or the cooking oil?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Finster Dexter posted:

Steam Deck seems to be selling well, right? And I guess PC sales in general are stagnant or declining after the pandemic boom has died down. Is there a point where MS has to start worrying about a huge glut of non-Windows PCs built specifically for gaming? Steam machines were kind of a wet fart, but Steam Deck seems like it's taking off.

What we will probably never see, but I would love to see, is the ability to add Xbox Game Pass games to steam (with the implied ability to subscribe to Game Pass through the Steam UI and give valve their cut). That would be in line with how Microsoft is monetizing these days. Lock everyone into subscriptions so you make money off them regardless of their platforms.

In the meantime I'll just install Windows to an SD card and play the games that way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Modding the vent smell with some olive oil.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So I noticed my steam dock isnt charging stuff plugged into USB if the deck isn't plugged in. Is that how it's supposed to work? If yeah no big deal I just thought it would pass through if there was a draw on it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The hair product or the cooking oil?

... The cooking oil.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The hair product

What?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I paid extra for the non stick Steam Deck

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Randalor posted:

I hate to ask this, but are people ACTUALLY mounting their steam decks to walls or VESA mounts, or is that just a running joke? Do people just happen to have free VESA mounts installed to their walls nowadays?
It’s really easy to add VESA mounts — or any mounte — to your desk using a monitor arm or something like that. Some people use it for lamps, speakers and such.

I think it makes sense for the Deck in lieu of a dock. Slide it onto a mount. Connect it to a monitor that’s also a usb hub. Deck now has external screen, charger, mouse and keyboard. I could get excited about that workflow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

We're like one step away from discussing how long to put the deck in the oven for.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm surprised there isn't already some kind of popular youtube video about microwaving your deck to improve the battery life

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I have submerged my deck entirely in olive oil to maximize cooling

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

emudeck seems to work :shrug:

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 12, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We're like one step away from discussing how long to put the deck in the oven for.

You have to sear the edges first and get a really nice char, then you put it in the oven for 25 or until done to your liking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jokes posted:

... The cooking oil.

What?

It's a product primarily used for black people's hair

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So anyway, I'm not a keyboard toucher but

Has anyone hacked together some program so we can sync non-steam save games somewhere between PC and deck? Or hell the script emudeck uses to sync all the emu saves to OneCloud, can that be edited to add the locations of non-steam games?

Cloud saving is so nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Barreft posted:

So anyway, I'm not a keyboard toucher but

Has anyone hacked together some program so we can sync non-steam save games somewhere between PC and deck? Or hell the script emudeck uses to sync all the emu saves to OneCloud, can that be edited to add the locations of non-steam games?

Cloud saving is so nice

Where games store their saves is all over the place and is 100% dependent on the game.