Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

It is baffling how there have only ever been two good pirate games, and one of them was an AC game. Dunno why that's not a very popular genre instead of basically not existing.

monkey island, captain claw, and what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't count monkey island

quote:

On today's conference call, an investor asked why franchises like Call of Duty and God of War have still found explosive success despite the market conditions Ubisoft describes in its report. "What we can see is, when there's more pressure, people go for the biggest brands and they don't go to the small ones," Guillemot replied.

"Despite excellent ratings and players’ reception as well as an ambitious marketing plan, we were surprised by Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope underperformance in the final weeks of 2022 and early January," Guillemot continues in the report. "Just Dance 2023 underperformed as well."

Ok I found the problem, Ubisoft execs are fuckin stupid

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Resdfru posted:

Wonder if the contract prevents them from just having 1 dev on it and delaying it forever

I feel like I'd heard that there is a mandated quarter beyond which they can't slip.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd forgotten ubisoft made the mario minions crossover game

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Anno posted:

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but, parent goons of the Steam thread, can you recommend anything for my almost-5 year old to play? She’s been asking for awhile now to try games, and has played a little of this little of that, but I’d like something pretty much just for her that she can play either with a controller or mostly the mouse to help her develop those skills a bit.

My daughter at that age loved playing Child of Light with me. The main player does most of the work but someone else can be the little sprite thing with the mouse and help out in fights.

Any of the TT Lego games are great for kids, sometimes the puzzles are a little obtuse but you can't ever die. Lego City Undercover, as previously mentioned, is Lego GTA, and it's definitely fun to just mess around in, but I'd say it's a little more complicated and more difficult than the branded-IP games. Not that it's hard, just that it has a lot going on.

Another great mouse exercise game would be Hidden Folks or any of the other Where's-Waldo-ish games out there.

My daughter is very into ocean animals and so we played Abzu together and she loved it, although she was another year or two older at that point.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

It is baffling how there have only ever been two good pirate games, and one of them was an AC game. Dunno why that's not a very popular genre instead of basically not existing.

I will eternally be fond of Sid Meier's Pirates and nobody will take that away from me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm counting obra dinn. Despite it having no pirates.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

people get mad when others share and talk about this stuff for some reason lol

It's fine to talk about it, but then talk about it instead of just posting a dumb out-of-context tweet and going "hurrr ubisoft bad".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol sorry what context did I miss there. I think I gave pretty clear context that this was likely part of a worldwide slowdown in spending due to tightening interest rates.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Been waiting for the full release but it looks to be coming along well. ES1 is one of the few SP roguelikes I actually like, although there was no way I was going to beat i a bunch of times for the full ending.

Yeah I was pretty much one win and done with it, but the huge freighter with drone support was pretty fun to mess with. I never did play that dlc I bought lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hurrrrr ubisoft bad

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

:same:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

Aye

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

Finally, something we can agree on!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

:yeah:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Why remember the content of posts when you can just summarize the vibes you felt reading them and react to that instead

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 11, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

thread title

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Did they ever fire their staff rapists?

Their internal investigation found no abuse at all, and that people should preorder the new Assassins Creed games cause actually they are a good company...

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It feels like EA has clawed back some of its reputation over the last couple years, so hopefully Ubisoft can too. Results so far look pretty dire though, and there probably won’t be a Respawn landing in their lap to help facilitate it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flimf posted:

It's fine to talk about it, but then talk about it instead of just posting a dumb out-of-context tweet and going "hurrr ubisoft bad".

Your posting was much more aggressive and dumb than anything anybody posted around the tweet, far in excess of the tone of the conversation you replied to. That said,

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just, completely incapable of reading the room

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tarezax posted:

The best part is Skull and Bones can't be canceled because Ubisoft is contractually obligated to the Singapore government

Which makes it even more confusing why they don't just poo poo it out so they can say that they did and then close down the studio.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
loving ubisoft. Make the most 'eh, it's fine' games to ever exist. I did quite enjoy Watch Dogs 2.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Watch Dogs 2 really wasn't the leap forward I was hoping for from the sequel but it was a drat solid improvement on the first's problems, a solid 8/10

And then Legion happened and I guess that was a fluke or they lost a guy somewhere in the studio troubles or something.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Rebel Galaxy!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
This might be worth keeping an eye on, releases today:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2161440/Sailing_Era/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I respect Legion for trying something different, but all of its original ideas ended up watered down and blended into generic Ubislop

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rinkles posted:

I respect Legion for trying something different, but all of its original ideas ended up watered down and blended into generic Ubislop

Yeah it so *nearly* worked. I do love the recreation of London. I don't often get to mess around in a city I know so well in a videogame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They did a good job in Assassin's Creed Syndicate of making London look like the filthy smelly disgusting city I'm sure it probably is. Never been there myself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Well this part is good at least

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1613263593398734849

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I remember seeing write-ups for Far Cry 3 and thinking "holy poo poo these guys are doing something completely new and incredible!"

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like there was a time when Ubisoft actually made cool poo poo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

They did a good job in Assassin's Creed Syndicate of making London look like the filthy smelly disgusting city I'm sure it probably is. Never been there myself.

It's actually not nearly as bad because it was so incredibly filthy in the victorian era. A real FAFO moment in history.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I still play and enjoy their games, but it's often a love hate relationship.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PantsBandit posted:

I remember seeing write-ups for Far Cry 3 and thinking "holy poo poo these guys are doing something completely new and incredible!"

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like there was a time when Ubisoft actually made cool poo poo.
I actually like the Far Cry games and think that other than Far Cry 4 (which was essentially a do-over of Far Cry 3) they all have pretty unique takes on the formula. Far Cry 6 is pretty fun to just walk around and do whatever poo poo you run across.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
FC3 was mildly to moderately innovative, FC2 is the one they deserve more credit for. It failed in a lot of ways but actually did some cool stuff for its time.

Assassins Creed was basically the downfall of Ubisoft. They basically started making everything into open world collectathon timewasters after that franchise inexplicably took off. That and AAA publishers in general kind of ran out of steam around that era. Ubisoft just seems to refuse to divert from the path of being garbage. Even EA at least had some major breakout titles like the Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space, and some other games like some Battlefields and Titanfall that bought them some good will. Ubisoft pretty much has nothing to redeem itself in the eyes of people who hate what the AAA scene has become.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really like the direction that Splinter Cell Blacklist took and it's a darn shame we don't seem to be getting another one.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sail Forth looks really promising too, seems to have a bit of everything that one could possibly want out of a new Sid Meier's Pirates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QebjUzOHg

Anyone have impressions of it already?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
far cry 2 was a legitimately innovative game that did a ton of cool stuff in a way that's shocking for ubisoft even if there are some real tedious flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

Sail Forth looks really promising too, seems to have a bit of everything that one could possibly want out of a new Sid Meier's Pirates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QebjUzOHg

Anyone have impressions of it already?

Wheres the loving Baroque dancing