Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chainclaw posted:

Did they explain why they're running this in English and not Japanese? Aren't most long RPGs run in Japanese because the text length differences really add up over the course of the game?

Japanese version is considered a different category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

xoFcitcrA posted:

Honestly, all four on a sandwich sounds like it would rule. Maybe raspberry jam and crunchy peanut butter? Yeah.

It's blowing my mind how MUCH tech is in every second in this run! You'd think that a long run of a slow game would be mostly banter and donations but no! It requires, like, constant explanations.

It’s so interesting, Im loving it too. There was another FFVII run a few years back that had outstanding tech commentary throughout, I was nervous this one wouldn’t be as good but so far it’s been great.

Hoping we make the Vincent Yuffie incentive. Yuffie was always in my final party. Also lmao at KetSheet. First time I’ve seen a runner misspell the dono name, but it ended up funnier than what was intended.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Its so interesting, Im loving it too. There was another FFVII run a few years back that had outstanding tech commentary throughout, I was nervous this one wouldnt be as good but so far its been great.

Hoping we make the Vincent Yuffie incentive. Yuffie was always in my final party. Also lmao at KetSheet. First time Ive seen a runner misspell the dono name, but it ended up funnier than what was intended.

I took a break, returned, saw that name and thought "How the hell did THAT ever go past the staff??"

Also yeah this run has been very chill, hard to top the 2017 ajneb run in terms of tech, comfiness and chillness but it's a very good contender. So many people have nostalgia for FF7. Plus they found all kinds of new tech since then, since the WR (on Zheal himself) is way lower than what ajneb ran back then and the estimate is a lot lower too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Yuffie was always in my final party.

cloud yuffie cid is the best party in the game

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo, that DK dude donated another 7777 dollars.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

GDQ whale

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

cloud yuffie cid is the best party in the game

:hai::hai::hai:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Tracker says they just put in another $5,000 :eyepop:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Well the Yuffie/Vincent incentive got met.

No points for guessing who dunked it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can't believe some rich people like videogames

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wonder which millennial celebrity it is

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

site posted:

i wonder which millennial celebrity it is

Can't be any of them. They'd absolutely put their name on it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
do they still do the step count thing across the whole run?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

is there a run at this point that doesn't do the half assed "oh no we hosed up fooled you we didn't gently caress up that was intentional"?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Chainclaw posted:

Did they explain why they're running this in English and not Japanese? Aren't most long RPGs run in Japanese because the text length differences really add up over the course of the game?

leaving aside how a lot of the time this actually comes down to whether or not the community is a bunch of cowards, I think for FF7 specifically due to the famously wacky localisation it's actually got less text boxes in English than Japanese?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

is there a run at this point that doesn't do the half assed "oh no we hosed up fooled you we didn't gently caress up that was intentional"?
Clearly the bit hasn't been run into the ground yet.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

wow the FF7 runner is going to get banned from future events, he hates peanut butter and he hates jelly

edit: oh god he eats a nutella sandwich with butter on the bread, too

Dude knows what's up, I agree with all of those takes.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I thought the red submarine they kept talking about was going to be a glitch. I didn't realize it was a seldom seed alternate path through the game, that's really cool.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chainclaw posted:

I thought the red submarine they kept talking about was going to be a glitch. I didn't realize it was a seldom seed alternate path through the game, that's really cool.

yeah considering how easy the submarine minigame is i had no idea it was a thing for a very very long time

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Final Fantasy has been going to space since the very beginning

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

Final Fantasy has been going to space since the very beginning

the final (fantasy) frontier

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Teeth-a

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sad people take 30% less damage

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chainclaw posted:

Sad people take 30% less damage

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think Kenny Omega's about to walk down to the ring!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SUDDENLY Emerald Weapon

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

TeaJay posted:

SUDDENLY Emerald Weapon

pretty cool, I’ve never seen that glitch before.

Stardew Valley time!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fight sephiroth as emerald weapon

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
This is not how I expected a Stardew Valley speedrun to go but maybe it should have been.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sleep for an entire months then swing my pickaxe until I pass out in the Community Center.

Just another normal day on the farm

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is the perfect amount of energy for a stardew speedrun, and the perfect runners and commentator for it

e: concernedape in chat talkin about having conversations w/ the stardew speedrunning community to make changes to the game that speedrunners would like to see, owns

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 11, 2023

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Poor blackheart. Thoroughly owned by the one bit of RNG they cannot control.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A Stardew highly optimized race that turns into a comfy co-op where the victor helps out their neighbor to achieve success is... Unironically the most perfect way a Stardew race could end. Peak Stardew.

Edit: I really appreciate how thevaliantsun approached this. You could tell right from the start they were prepared as hell, they even had the pet's name copied and ready to paste into the name window to save a handful of frames. Apparently they had a premonition that the race would go this way and had the Google doc ready with the solutions for their neighbor. Super-prepared, classy, and very, very good at this game, A+ runner.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 11, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cernunnos posted:

Poor blackheart. Thoroughly owned by the one bit of RNG they cannot control.

yeah game just said 'naw'

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This is a total lovefest and it's 100% perfect Stardew energy, this is going on the recommended list for sure.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

"Blackheart Wings and The Valiant Sun" sounds like a good band name

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
“In the fall I tend to just accidentally oversleep”

Same, wings. Saaaaame.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
This Sonic Unleashed is giving us Sonic speed commentary.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Very different energy than the last run but very thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

aeiou posted:

This Sonic Unleashed is giving us Sonic speed commentary.

The first minute where he messed up the first trick on the first level and spoke in normal speed for like 5 seconds while he said “oh I’m gonna have to restart this real quick whoops” was so good