Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Twilight movies are anime right? I mean they were adapted from light novels, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erg posted:

anyways op i think what will serve you best are shows formerly airing on WB or The CW such as Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Veronica Mars

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've been watching fairly random Animes that catch my eye on Crunchyroll.

For whatever reason I got hooked on Higehiro and pretty much binged it and liked the story quite a lot even though it could be incredibly dark. Now i'm semi-binging on Domestic girlfriend since it was auto-recommended to me.

I've been flipping between One Piece and Fairy Tail when i'm feeling a bit Shonen but it's pretty daunting getting through such long series.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Go watch 'Handyman Saitou in another world'.

Go watch it now. Trust me. Watch it without reading up on it first. Go in completely and totally blind to the series if you can. It will catch you completely off guard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

infraboy posted:

Now i'm semi-binging on Domestic girlfriend since it was auto-recommended to me.

I am so happy about this.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Natural 20 posted:

I am so happy about this.

Finished it off the other night, overall pretty solid I think. Not really a happy ending but it was sort of headed for a trainwreck in the last batch of episodes. I guess I enjoy some of the taboo subjects they explore even though most western audiences will automatically point out the legal issues with the age differences and student-teacher relationships even though the attraction is there regardless.

On the lighter side i've started up Bocchi the Rock and it was a little slow the first couple episodes but really enjoying the colorfulness of it and feels a lot like a slightly more mature K-ON which I also really enjoyed.

I guess i'll work on Chainsawman next.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Domestic girlfriend is pretty good yeah. The anime anyway. It's a shame it basically doesn't have an ending. The manga is great until the ending which is bad enough that I have like 8 posts in the forum complaining about it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Larry Parrish posted:

Domestic girlfriend is pretty good yeah. The anime anyway. It's a shame it basically doesn't have an ending. The manga is great until the ending which is bad enough that I have like 8 posts in the forum complaining about it.

The ending is everything never knew I wanted. I cried laughing.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I recognized Hina’s voice actress from a video game ( I watch all anime in Japanese) so I dont really blame the MC for being so head over heels for her. Too many careless mistakes and their sweet forbidden love could’ve been kept hidden longer.

Finished Bocchi the Rock, definitely has K-on vibes, heartwarming to see Gotoh try to work out her anxiety.

Chainsaw man didn’t really hook me until episode 2, ended up getting to episode 10 in a day.

Ice guy and his cool female colleague.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GW4HM75NP/the-ice-guy-and-his-cool-female-colleague

New this winter, had me laughing and smiling the whole first episode. Female MC has super cute cat. I thought Koki Uchiyama was the male leas but he is actually one of the supporting charactera, really similar voice.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I wanted to like Ice Guy and Cool Colleague because it's a cute premise but they somehow managed to give the adaptation 4koma pacing despite the source material not being 4koma. It feels like a bunch of shorts strung together rather than a full episode, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if the bits weren't all the same joke.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Natural 20 posted:

The ending is everything never knew I wanted. I cried laughing.

Gotta credit them for going whole-rear end with that one. I wish I had 10% of their conviction.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seihantaina Kimi to Boku ("You and I are Polar Opposites") is a highschool romcom about a loud idiot and a quiet nerd who start dating. The art style's more cartoony than usual for romance stories, but the comedy's pretty good. The entire cast is great, especially Gapacho.

started reading this and it is very good

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megamissen posted:

You and I are Polar Opposites isn't a ground breaking romcom but it's really elevated by the art. It's very charming and...energetic? Idk.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

lmao

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 29, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Captain Oblivious posted:

You and I are Polar Opposites isn't a ground breaking romcom but it's really elevated by the art. It's very charming and...energetic? Idk.

i just started reading this based off of the panels and this is the kind of energy i want from romcoms, this is fun

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I wasn't really into the Isekai thing but so far i'm really enjoying Shield hero, about 6 episodes in.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Oh No

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The second part of that post makes me question the first part

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What about shield hero did you enjoy more than other isekai?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

infraboy posted:

I wasn't really into the Isekai thing but so far i'm really enjoying Shield hero, about 6 episodes in.

:catstare:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Should I stop? As far as reviews go it sounds like season 2 isn't so good.I thought Domestic Girlfriend would be more controversial.

I think the only other one i've tried is Sword Art but I didn't go past the first episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shield hero is just kind of the bland boilerplate for what people don't like about isekai so it's funny that it's the one you'd like

sao's got some weird stuff in it but 90% of the anime is also a direct adaptation of material a guy wrote when he was like 15 so it stands to reason it's going to have absolutely zero consistency

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
What the heck is wrong with Shield Hero?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mother's Basement did a scathing review of it so now nobody is allowed to like it anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think that guy was fine with mushoku tensei is the hosed up thing

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It just seems dumb. I don't care if people watch it but epic revenge against the evil femoids crap always sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my understanding is that that's just one early antagonist but yeah the way thats handled is extremely pathetic tbh. however i am a sao fan so i cannot judge. farewell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SAO was good and GGO was not. Fight me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What the poo poo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also shield hero is basically a terrible cell phone isekai but also the main character is upset. If you are liking it at episode six then whatever you prolly just like the show keep watching if you want.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

KillHour posted:

P-Chan would be disappointed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

KillHour posted:

Any enemy of a talking P90 is an enemy of mine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like ggo but i do think it's a show where sigsawa's uh, peculiarities, do kinda start to show in a way where it's funny people started making arguments about him being the morally superior writer

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

kater posted:

What the poo poo.

turns out there are a lot of ways to say "worthless mediocre trash" and even more ways to emphasize the lack of any redeeming qualities that might elevate it to "so bad it's good trash"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

i think that guy was fine with mushoku tensei is the hosed up thing

Well you see Mushoku Tensei was PRETTY, so it's fine.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I ended up finishing up the first season, pretty alright overall, started off strong but tapered a bit as the season went. Not going to dive into S2 as of yet.

I think a part of me enjoyed it because the Japanese used was pretty formal and it was fun for me to pickup lines without needing subs.

Now i'm on Witch from Mercury.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Monolith. posted:

The main character has a literal underaged child slave harem for one, but where most shows with that element get relegated to "hatewatch" discussions shield hero is unironically enjoyed. It otherwise seems to be very boring and generic isekai fare with a weird incel flavor added.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, the child slave harem, the official renaming the initial female antagonist to "bitch" by the king and who, if posts here are accurate, gets raped to death later in the series, the conspicuous abrupt aging up of the child sidekick character to be more marketable as a sexy anime lady(but she's still like 10 years old, but with an adult body), the character being freed from slavery only to demand to be enslaved once more because she likes it(or some poo poo I forget the actual reason), shield hero is king corn on isekai poo poo mountain. rising of the incel hero

obviously there are far worse series out there, but shield hero is one of the most reprehensible mainstream ones.

edit: oh yeah the kickoff to the shield hero being exiled in the intro was a false rape accusation by the princess noted above. it's a bad series

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 17, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monolith. posted:

What's right with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is Be Blues any good?