Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Good Dog posted:

Home run robberies are the most exciting defensive play in baseball so lowering wall heights to further facilitate that is good.
The outfield fence should be like it is in cricket - about a foot tall if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Crazy Ted posted:

Only if you eliminate fan interference

e: vvvvv Yeah I worded it poorly but this is exactly what I meant, make it legal for fans to rip the glove off the player then crowdsurf him to the upper deck

make it like a cartoon. the player disappears into the masses, then an elevator built into the outfield wall dings and he walks out to take his position

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 11, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's Benintendi going back...back...to the track....aaaannd he's been engulfed by a writhing mass of humanity. They'll skeletonize him in minutes.

Ron, you hate to see it.

Here's a 22 year old Giancarlo Stanton ending Jamie Moyer's career.

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1613291386824019997

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 11, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Intruder posted:

Only if you eliminate fan interference

e: vvvvv Yeah I worded it poorly but this is exactly what I meant, make it legal for fans to rip the glove off the player then crowdsurf him to the upper deck

make it like a cartoon. the player disappears into the masses, then an elevator built into the outfield wall dings and he walks out to take his position

Everybody should be forced to ride a bullpen cart to their position. Maybe a little trolley to save time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Crazy Ted posted:

strictly speaking the fence in cricket is just that, a fence to keep the unwashed masses from invading the field of play at inopportune moments. Instead there's a rope that's about a few feet in from the fence which marks the boundaries of the field of play

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how do you hit a home run in cricket

Oh sorry a "century"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What would happen if we let the players self organize into 30 teams of equal numbers of players.

Do you think everyone would just go close to their home.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

zoux posted:

So how do you hit a home run in cricket

Oh sorry a "century"

Six runs if it goes over the boundary on the fly, four if on the bounce.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1613291501483884545

This would be fine but hopefully they'd photoshop his head a little

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who would play in Boston ??? They’d have a hard time finding 30 guys

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

close

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

Who would play in Boston ??? They’d have a hard time finding 30 guys

Trust me when I say there'd be no issue finding 30 racist white guys among the player pool to fill out Boston's roster.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Nelly Cruz to the Padres for $1m

Really like the move, hope it works like Thome to the Twins did in 2010 (at age 39) - ~100 games, ~300 PA, more doubles (16) and Home Runs (25) than singles (35). He somehow also had 3 triples?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Cards need loving colorfast on those batting helmets

See even the Lord your GOD doesn't like these long rear end deals

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

elentar posted:

Six runs if it goes over the boundary on the fly, four if on the bounce.

except when it doesn't

https://twitter.com/ShakeelktkKhan/status/1609553812657954824

Anyway, enough cricket chat

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

about drat time Placido Polanco gets some respect

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
as an american i find it offensive that cricket and soccer even exist

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

you have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't understand why they don't just play the far superior "baseball" instead of their weirdo super croquette game

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baseball is far to quick I guess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

What would happen if we let the players self organize into 30 teams of equal numbers of players.

Do you think everyone would just go close to their home.

They'd all flock to one of the states with no state income tax, like Florida or Texas or Nevada or Washington.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah i think I always forget how chudy many of them are

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twenty20 is the fastest growing version of the sport because they revolutionized the game by playing it for one day instead of a fortnight.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

euphronius posted:

Baseball is far to quick I guess

T20 is like 3 hours and has gained a huge following very quickly

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Timby posted:

They'd all flock to one of the states with no state income tax, like Florida or Texas or Nevada or Washington.

There's no way they'd flock to Seattle, we're way to remote and much too blue for most of baseball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sorry I wasn’t hip to the revolutionary new cricket rules

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

There's no way they'd flock to Seattle, we're way to remote and much too blue for most of baseball.

Well, the only other states without income tax are Alaska, Wyoming, Tennessee and South Dakota, so...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Let's be real it would be the Yankees rejecting the likes of I don't know Goldschmidt because too many better players are already on board

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1613292317657518085

I guess he platoons at DH with Carpenter?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

then why would he go to san diego

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What percentage of Major Leaguers are hard core right wingers do you think? I wouldn't be surprised if it was upwards of 70%, even including foreign players. All the baseball players I knew in HS and college were exactly that type, racist, KA rushing assholes. Even Mo is MAGA.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Who cares just watch the big men play games

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
US baseball players are majority white, southern and from middle- or upper middle-class homes so yeah there's a lot of Republicans

with overseas players it's harder to say but a lot of the Latin players are Catholic which usually means some level of conservatism

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i strongly suspect that collectively pro baseball players are the dumbest group of athletes

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

lobster shirt posted:

i strongly suspect that collectively pro baseball players are the dumbest group of athletes

Oh most definitely

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

lobster shirt posted:

I don't know, hockey players have a great argument as the dumbest.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Man those new Twins jerseys look great.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Intruder posted:

then why would he go to san diego
Rude :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lobster shirt posted:

I can't imagine they come close to professional wrestlers / boxers / MMA fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

I can't imagine they come close to professional wrestlers / boxers / MMA fighters.

Dude MMA social media has got to be the most bugfuck insane community on the internet. Every single one of those people is halfway down a rabbit hole.

Julio Cruz posted:

US baseball players are majority white, southern and from middle- or upper middle-class homes so yeah there's a lot of Republicans

with overseas players it's harder to say but a lot of the Latin players are Catholic which usually means some level of conservatism

Well, and this is broad and certainly varies from country to country, but machismo culture is really toxic and they are often openly homophobic in ways that Americans wouldn't tolerate. See for example every goal kick in Liga MX

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 11, 2023