Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Every loving outer suburb looked like this no matter which city

this is so much better than this hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

spaceblancmange posted:

You're not wrong. With some basic changes that looks like half of north America

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm surprised the streets are straight and not that windy cul-de-sac bullshit

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Australia has been making some improvements to the decor though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Outrail posted:

You're not wrong. With some basic changes that looks like half of north America

The roads are too straight and there aren't enough weird walls surrounding the whole thing.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

webmeister posted:

Yeah 100%, there's some great looking buildings in there alongside a cavalcade of poo poo. I'm a big sucker for Federation-style housing, when they're well maintained they're just beautiful, although a bit of a pain to live in (small rooms, impractical layouts and so on).

Pyrmont is kind of a weird place, I lived there for about 10 years in the late 2000s and early 2010s. All of those modern bland apartment blocks jostling for position, alongside boring beige 90s apartment buildings, then little pockets of poorly-maintained terraces and the big area of houso as well. And despite the location, it always felt like a quiet little village, particularly down around the point area.

Yeah, I walk through a lot because my main job is there, I particularly like Bulwara Rd, especially when you get around the Lord Wolsely, there's definitely a community vibe there.

Inceltown posted:

I'm surprised the streets are straight and not that windy cul-de-sac bullshit

Can't stuff as many houses into windy cul-de-sac bullshit.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Inceltown posted:

Australia has been making some improvements to the decor though

🫡

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Pinny arcade, George St Haymarket, Sydney. 80s ish?

One of many trams that got away on the steep ascent to Athol Wharf below Taronga Zoo.

There are so many Railway Hotels that I cannot put a location or time on this picture, but would say it's the south end of Queensland in the 70s.

Unknown, just a fantastic picture.

"Could have been worse" after Cyclone Tracy, Darwin, Christmas 1974

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My cousin was named after that cyclone. You shouldn't name people after cyclones, it's just tempting fate.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Yeah, I walk through a lot because my main job is there, I particularly like Bulwara Rd, especially when you get around the Lord Wolsely, there's definitely a community vibe there.

Hah, I worked basically opposite the Lord Wolsely for a few years in the early 2010s (ironically just after I'd moved out of Pyrmont), and it's a cool little spot down there as well assuming you stay away from Harris Street. I lived mainly in the point area, north of Union Street which was super quiet - no real reason to go there unless you lived there (or it was NYE).

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

My cousin was named after that cyclone. You shouldn't name people after cyclones, it's just tempting fate.

So you've heard this a lot?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not as often as she did.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I lived in Highgate Hill in 1990 and had no idea it ever had a train line.

It's being "reimagined" now, but parts of the original Goods Line were still in place until a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goods_Line#/media/File:The_Goods_Line_November_2016.jpg

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
Bloody nice photos, appreciate the little write ups

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Old Como rail bridge. South of Sydney, NSW.
Opening in 1885, duplication of the lines eventually lead to "...The tracks across the bridge were altered into a single gauntlet track, which enabled trains to cross in either direction without points" in 1894.
The bridge was decommissioned when a new bridge was opened in 1972, it reopened and a cycleway in 1985.

A derailment of car carriers writes off several brand new Holdens, dropping them from a birdge over Menangle Rd and the Nepean River near Menangle, southwest of Sydney, Mid 70's

A shipment of brand new late 70's Fords, however, travels without incident. (location unknown)

Alfred Street, Milsons Point, nearing the end of the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (approx 1930)

Tram control box, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.1950's

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 12, 2023

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

gently caress it, I am enjoying this so I'll keep blowing up this thread with mildly interesting images

Afteramath view of the previously posted Paddington tram depot fire in Brisbane.

Ford Factory Lot, Geelong, Vic, 1970.
105,785 XW Falcons were built, 12,513 ZC Fairlanes.

Punt Rd, Richmond, Dec 12, 1962.
Multiple water spouts formed over Port Phillip bay during one of the many powerful storms that hit the city on the day. A few of the spouts made landfall and bought with them cloudbursts of saltwater rain, flash flooding multiple suburbs.

A burnt-out and ransacked '62 Valiant surrounded by crumbling derelict buildings in Pyrmont, Sydney. 70's/80's

A boat being bombarded with giant hailstones in Rose Bay, Sydney, Jan 1, 1947.
"...over 5000 roofs were damaged in Waverley by the lumps of hail which weighed up to 1.8 kg", beachgoers were pelted with stones the size of cricket balls in Bondi, the storm was the most severe in Sydney's history since records began in 1791.
The incident was not matched until the 1999 storm.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Tooheys "The Standard" Brewery, Elizabeth Street, Sydney. (Unsure of time, but probably 30-40s)
The second brewery Tooheys established after their Darling Harbour site (Built in 1860) was deemed too small to meet rising demand, photo shows the building after expansion and art-deco revamp of the original 1875 architecture.
The current brewery was established in Lidcombe in 1955.

Looking east along Parramatta Rd at Taverners Hill from Lewisham (Near the pub) approx 1973.
Millers Brewing was established in 1942, was purchased by Tooheys in 1968 but ceased brewing operations in 1975. The building has since been owned by Kennards and functions as a self-storage warehouse and remains a giant, bright orange landmark you can see from a considerable distance.

Looking west along Parramatta Rd on Taverners Hill from Leichhardt, post 1975 purchase of Millers Brewery by Tooheys.

Pyrmont Bridge, Darling Harbour, approx 1980.
Still functioning as a main road before substantial rezoning of the area.

Milsons Point Tram Platform, Mid/Late 50's.
The bridge was built to have trains running along the west side, trams running along the east side, and road vehicles between them. The platform was demolished in 1958 and the tracks lifted and the way converted to widen the roadway.
Decommissioning the Sydney tram system still remains known as 'The greatest transport bungle in Sydney's history...'

1976 Ford Fairlane LTD P6 fastback concept.
Considered for a continuation of the Ford Landau, a "luxury" coupe version of the early/mid 70s Falcons. It never eventuated, leaving the 1385 Landaus produced between 1973 and 1976 to be one of the rarest unique Fords Australia produced that wasn't a repackaged standard model.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 12, 2023

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Looking east along Parramatta Rd at Taverners Hill from Lewisham (Near the pub) approx 1973.
Millers Brewing was established in 1942, was purchased by Tooheys in 1968 but ceased brewing operations in 1975. The building has since been owned by Kennards and functions as a self-storage warehouse and remains a giant, bright orange landmark you can see from a considerable distance.

Was it a car audio place (maybe Strathfield car radios?) in the 90s? Always quite a landmark.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Unknown, just a fantastic picture.

"Could have been worse" after Cyclone Tracy, Darwin, Christmas 1974

Solid mad max poo poo on the first one there.

Apparently, my dad knows a guy who saw someone get lopped in half by a sheet of corrugated iron during Cyclone Tracy. But I suspect about half the posters in this thread know a guy who knows a guy who saw something like that happen :shrug:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 12, 2023

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Was in Woolies and they're playing Blue Sky Mine in there as you shop. Not sure I want that much Peter Garrett that early in the morning, but I very much appreciate them playing a protest song about asbestos mines in WA as supermarket muzak.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Outrail posted:

Apparently, my dad knows a guy who saw someone get lopped in half by a sheet of corrugated iron during Cyclone Tracy. But I suspect about half the posters in this thread know a guy who knows a guy who saw something like that happen :shrug:

Sounds like one of those stories.
I have read the report on the victims of Tracy and the cause of death, can't remember if there was anything significant that could be interpreted as that particular incident, most deaths were a result of blood loss, organ damage or crush asphyxiation. Might do a dump of Tracy pics later.

Chrpno posted:

Was in Woolies and they're playing Blue Sky Mine in there as you shop. Not sure I want that much Peter Garrett that early in the morning, but I very much appreciate them playing a protest song about asbestos mines in WA as supermarket muzak.

Based on Wittenoom, WA.
The town has been deregistered and only recently the last few inhabitants were made to leave. The area is still contaminated with blue asbestos tailings.

Back in its day, the sheer ignorance to the danger was insane.

Pic: Unprotected workers shovel loose tailings into drums

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Based on Wittenoom, WA.
The town has been deregistered and only recently the last few inhabitants were made to leave. The area is still contaminated with blue asbestos tailings.

Back in its day, the sheer ignorance to the danger was insane.

Top marks to the Oils for getting such a subject into the charts all around the world. Hopefully it helped the cause. I'm quite fascinated by Wittenoom, how a town can be literally erased off the map. I guess there's others, Cribb Island in Brisbane for one.

My father said once he went to visit the rels in Kyogle, some of whom worked at the nearby asbestos mine, and they had a head-sized lump of blue asbestos on the dining room table, just to pass around and have a look at. :hb:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pic: Unprotected workers shovel loose tailings into drums

whoof i started coughing just looking at this.

asbestos doesn't gently caress around, it's gotten two of my friend's parents who were old tradies that only started properly protecting against it way too late

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Mad Barrys is gone but Tooheys lives on

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What hits me is not much the differences but just the same everything looks besides the car models.

50 years later and that bit of Parramatta Road is still a lovely bit of strode where small businesses go to die.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chrpno posted:

I'm quite fascinated by Wittenoom, how a town can be literally erased off the map. I guess there's others, Cribb Island in Brisbane for one.

Sounds like what happened in Falston, NT

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What hits me is not much the differences but just the same everything looks besides the car models.

50 years later and that bit of Parramatta Road is still a lovely bit of strode where small businesses go to die.

Not a lot can be done with a dead zone like that, development was never going to be worth it.

Chrpno posted:

I'm quite fascinated by Wittenoom, how a town can be literally erased off the map. I guess there's others, Cribb Island in Brisbane for one.

Look up the Christchurch Red Zones, whole neighborhoods were deemed uninhabitable after the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes.

There's also depression-era shantytown suburbs that no longer exist like Happy Valley in La Perouse

And some that became attractions like the huts at Crater Cove in Balgowlah heights.

And the hidden beach shacks on the coast in the Royal National Park near Helensburgh

Not to mention a number of villages and homesteads that were abandoned or disappeared above the Goyder Line in South Australia.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 13, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One day I gotta do an effort post on how the ACT got it's shape

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Not to mention a number of villages and homesteads that were abandoned or disappeared above the Goyder Line in South Australia.

This house is still there and doesn’t look much different - I drove past about 18 months ago. It’s just off the Barrier Highway north of Burra in SA

It’s on private land though so you can’t get that close to it, unfortunately

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

webmeister posted:

This house is still there and doesn’t look much different - I drove past about 18 months ago. It’s just off the Barrier Highway north of Burra in SA

It’s on private land though so you can’t get that close to it, unfortunately

Just as well there's like a dozen identical ones in the region.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Darwin CBD, post-Tracy, probably 25th Dec 1974

Fort Macquarie Tram Depot, Bennelong Point, Sydney Harbor.
Served from 1902 to 1955. Demolished for some reason to build something else.

A HQ Holden, one of the number of wrecks recovered from the Derwent River when a span of the Tasman Bridge collapsed after it was hit by the bulk carrier Lake Illawarra. Jan 1975

Regent Theatre, 487-503 George Street Sydney, Jul 1980.
Built in 1928, demolished in 1988, the site remained undeveloped until 2004 because Sydney is a loving idiot.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Darwin CBD, post-Tracy, probably 25th Dec 1974

When I first went to Darwin 10 years ago, I stayed in a 10-story hotel on the esplanade. Had a look at the plaque and it said "opened in 1968". I was like "whaaa? Surely all of Darwin was flattened by Tracy, how is possible??"

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Chrpno posted:

When I first went to Darwin 10 years ago, I stayed in a 10-story hotel on the esplanade. Had a look at the plaque and it said "opened in 1968". I was like "whaaa? Surely all of Darwin was flattened by Tracy, how is possible??"

Tracy flattened the northern suburbs and made a majority of houses uninhabitable across the city. Commercial buildings fared better, but nothing went without damage.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Many survived by hanging the gently caress on to their toilets...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

For nearly two days, the survivors had to fend for themselves with no utilities, what clothes they had left and what water and food they could muster that wasn't contaminated or rotting in the tropical summer.

Most were evacuated within the next few days on commercial and army planes, mostly the vulnerable, able men and certain vital staff were left to aid in the cleanup, reuniting with families months later.
Many who left never returned.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Somehow less than 100 people died.

Here is the final path of cyclone Ellie. It only managed to be declared a cat 1 cyclone for a few hours and just dumped rain for 3 weeks over land.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

Somehow less than 100 people died.

Here is the final path of cyclone Ellie. It only managed to be declared a cat 1 cyclone for a few hours and just dumped rain for 3 weeks over land.

There's long-standing debate on the true number of people who died. Mostly because there were many indigenous folk who would flow in and out of the area, as well as undocumented transients (Mostly hippies and Vietnam vets). I can't imagine it would be much higher than the official number, though.

Ellie was a weird one, remained cyclonic for almost two weeks inland. I don't know if that's something that has happened before.

EDIT: Turns out it could have been MUCH higher because of a situation during the evacuation process, according to one story of a survivor who had her two young sons evacuated with her mother.

A Hercules had loaded up with a few hundred evacuees, and about an hour into the flight the plane was struck by lightning, frying the instruments, though the plan could still be controlled and fly.
The pilot made the decision to turn back for Darwin, but flew somewhat off course because of thick cloud cover and then darkness, they couldn't find Darwin because there was no electricity to light the runway, and they couldn't radio the Airport at Katherine for directions.
The locals had heard the plane fly back and forth, and soon realised the plane might be lost or in trouble in the dark, so they lit the runway with car headlights. Low on fuel, they landed safely in Darwin. Much to the chagrin of the evacuees who, for the most part, had fallen asleep through the whole ordeal.

The plane was repaired enough to fly out again the following day.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

This might also explain why more people hadn't perished.
Note: There are some distressing moments in this.

quote:

It occurred to us that we also should check on the condition of our friends' house in the next suburb, in case we could salvage some of their belongings. We had no doubt that their house would be badly damaged, being in the hardest hit northern suburbs, but we did not expect to see what we did. Without any landmarks to orientate us it was difficult to find our way to where their house had once been. The whole area had completely changed so you got lost.

Their home was one of the public servant issued type high set on concrete stumps with a concrete block storage room underneath. There was nothing left. We identified it from the house number still on the iron gate post. The whole house, floor and all, had been lifted off its stumps and been impaled on the house next door.

That morning, before the cyclone struck, we had driven the couple and their three young children to the Airport for their annual furlough. They were spending Christmas with their parents in Perth. We had previously discussed cyclones with them, and he had said that under no circumstances would he ever seek shelter for the family in the concrete block storage room downstairs. Since he was a builder with the Darwin Public Works he said he knew that the storage rooms were not reinforced.

Had they been in Darwin that night the whole family would almost certainly have perished. This, I think, is why the death toll was not as high as could have been expected seeing the destruction. At the Christmas school holidays, many public servants, a great number living in the northern suburbs, took their annual furlough as they liked to call it. Darwin almost seemed deserted over these months. For taking a transfer to the Top End away from the major cities, one of the perks was extra leave when you wanted it. I think this saved many lives. The deaths, accounted for, may have only been 71 but hundreds suffered horrendous injuries, probably to die later. Marriages also suffered in the cyclone's aftermath. Separations escalated in the months and years after Tracy.

Amazing and awful things came to light as Bruce and I tried to make contact with friends. It was difficult as everyone was homeless and somewhere else. As we found them we heard their stories of that night. Many of our friends were common to the Playgroup and Kindergarten our children attended.

Cyclone Tracy had been a very intense but also a surprisingly slow cyclone. It had stayed hovering over the city, and was at its worst from midnight to six in the morning. It had rattled and rocked the houses until all the nails, nuts and bolts had come loose so that the buildings just fell apart. With the pressure the structures had just exploded. A huge percentage of Darwin's houses were reduced to rubble most in the northern suburbs area. Most public building were seriously damaged or destroyed.

One family we knew well had a terrifying night as their high set home blew apart. They had two little boys same age as ours. When the room they had been sheltering in disintegrated, they raced into the next one only to find it was flying apart too. Each had one boy in their grasp as they fled from one room to the next. Then they thought they would try for the downstairs store room. But they could not get down the stairs. There was stuff flying all around them and the boys were flapping in the wind. They could barely hold on themselves. So they squirmed under their double bed in the remains of the bedroom and prayed hard. The last remaining wall of the house fell across the bed and channelled the winds over them. The bed on the floorboards was all that was left of the house.

I thought we had a bad time but I can't imagine the panic and desperation of running from one place to the next desperately hanging on to child.

It was reported that "people sheltering in cars were picked up into the air, blown a few hundred metres and then dumped down again. Babies were blown from parents' arms." The myriad sheets of corrugated iron flying around with the winds, scraping along the ground, sounded just like a thousand fingernails scratching down a blackboard.

One of Bruce's co-workers spent the entire night with his arms locked at the elbows around a claw foot leg of the cast iron bathtub, with his legs flapping in the wind. The winds had stripped all his clothes off except for his underpants. His housemate was in the bathtub trying hard not to drown in the water from the rain and debris falling on top of him. That bathtub was the only thing left on the swept clean floorboards.

Another couple from Bruce's office had taken shelter in a bedroom cupboard after most of their walls had collapsed. They felt it jolted and buffeted. Suddenly it was flung on its side and they were lying in it as in a coffin. When the winds subsided they opened the door to get out. To their horror they realized they were nowhere near their house but almost a block away. They had been flying through the air in their cupboard along with all the other debris. It took them quite a while to find their house again.

Other friends were not so lucky. They were newly arrived in Darwin from Adelaide and had no idea about the tropics. A fortnight earlier when we'd had a cyclone scare which hadn't eventuated I had sent her and her little, curly redheaded, three year old daughter home. She hadn't realized the threat and turned up at our place for Playgroup as it had been my turn to host it. I told her she needed to go home and prepare. She and her husband were a very pleasant couple, and their little one was a real cutie.

During the cyclone, they had gone into the concrete store room downstairs for shelter. After the eye, when the winds were extreme, the concrete walls had collapsed on her and the little one, seriously injuring them. There was no possibility for him to get help. He spent the next hours, distraught, administering CPR to his wife and his little daughter going from one to the other, not knowing, in the dark, who to attend to best. By the time the winds had subsided at daylight, they were both dead. I can only imagine his feeling of helplessness and despair that night. It really shook us up.

When we saw some of the almost surreal achievements of the wind forces, we were not surprised by the reports at all. We saw at our neighbours' father's home something we did not think possible. In the house remains, we saw what was left of their car. The bonnet had blown off. A 2 by 3 inch piece of wood had pierced, and was still lodged in, the engine block of the car. Amazing to even contemplate! They also had had a good laugh on Christmas morning. His parents had a lodger who had gone to bed drunk that night. His room, and the roof over it, was the only part of the house left intact. The rest of the house was razed. He had slept through the whole thing. They were standing outside his door to see his face as he emerged. It was worth the wait.