Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like that guy got really lucky with Red Notice being a Netflix movie. I think it was career-endingly bad had it been a theatrical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i may have been a tad too optimistic

in the interest of not having to find your post in a year i'll just re-quote it now

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll go a step further, it will be bad

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like this is going to be aggressively mediocre

Looking up Rawson Marshall Thurber previous stuff... yeah not expecting much. Weird choice.

He apparently wrote Dodgeball, so if there is any humor in it, the humor may not be the utterly cringy.

I mean a slightly campy D&D series that doesn't take itself to seriously might not be the worst. :shrug:

Yeah not going to write it off this early in, but at this point have no expectations that it will be a all good. or even watchable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not to mention Paramount Plus' track record with some of their bigger IP's

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is it supposed to tie into the new D&D film coming out in a few months?

And it's probably a good sign that my local, 7 screen Cineworld hasn't got any showtimes for anything past 8pm, and isn't showing Tár despite advertising it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is going to be interesting because, if you don't follow RPGs, Hasbro basically pissed off every super-engaged D&D player by pulling some IP/licensing shenanigans that could massively turbo-gently caress 3rd party content creators. Their fan credibility is at a low point.

In short, Hasbro now wants a cut of the revenue they generate using DnD. Scale sliding to something like 15% if your podcast generates $80k+ a year.

Applies to third party supplement sales too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

So when he spent the whole movie as old man weyland I was shocked as hell there wasn't at least one young man weyland moment. Instead he's bludgeoned to death with the head of his creation.

Yeah, it's kind interesting meta-storytelling. Savvy audience members will see that Weyland is a guy in old-age makeup, so there's an expectation that we'll see the younger version of him - and when we learn that he's looking for immortality, there might be a subconscious assumption that his quest will actually pay off and there will be a scene where he's made young again (which makes it extra surprising when he's killed).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't there a bunch of stuff they shot of a young Guy Pearce that they ended up cutting and repurposing for viral marketing?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of stuff they shot of a young Guy Pearce that they ended up cutting and repurposing for viral marketing?

There was the marketing clip of young Pearce but IIRC like with Covenant's shorts these were made from the start with marketing in mind and never meant to be in the film proper.*

The Last Supper one from Covenant though, it was dumb as poo poo to not have that one in the movie imo.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

secretly best girl posted:

My last job was operations at a Covid testing lab. Despite folks swabbing infected patients regularly, despite multiple people being medical grads or having degrees beyond what I needed for the job, I was, this is not exaggeration, literally the only person on staff* who masked up the entire time I was there, and, probably entirely coincidentally, I was the only employee to never catch a case of Covid working there for 2+ years. Never underestimate how stupid skilled professionals can be.

* out of two dozen staff, we were small

I work at a top lab at a top west coast university and one of my coworkers who never wore masks got covid, then showed up back to work the first day he tested negative without a mask.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think they only did the Ted talk clip with him. Maybe the David commercial uses a shot of him

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There were supposed to be scenes with Vickers conversing via like a virtual reality program with Weyland while he was still in the sleep pod. So in those scenes it would've been young Weyland.

I don't remember if they actually shot those scenes though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
David watching Shaws dreams was so creepy and a cool idea

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In short, Hasbro now wants a cut of the revenue they generate using DnD. Scale sliding to something like 15% if your podcast generates $80k+ a year.

Applies to third party supplement sales too.

Also they're trying to invalidate the more permissive license they had in place previously, in such a way that it's not even clear if you're allowed to sell stuff you made under the old license. A LOT of RPG publishers relied on the OGL 1.0 to produce supplements and settings for D&D and even entire RPGs based off the original rules, and now it's not clear what they can do.

(Technically it's still the case that game rules can't be copyrighted but Hasbro has a lot of money so few people are willing to test them on this.)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, there's some shots cut from the film where David is wearing his dream-viewing helmet and commincating with Weyland while he's still in the cryo-pod, and he's Guy Pearce without the old man makeup sailing on a yacht because his dreams have class

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, there's some shots cut from the film where David is wearing his dream-viewing helmet and commincating with Weyland while he's still in the cryo-pod, and he's Guy Pearce without the old man makeup sailing on a yacht because his dreams have class

Right of course it's not Vickers communicating with him it's David.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The TED talk with Pearce as young Weyland also implies that Alien and Blade a runner are part of the same cinematic universe (the Scottiverse? The Ridleyverse?)

Also having rewatched them both recently, it's funny how much overlap Prometheus has with Alien vs. Predator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cacator posted:

The TED talk with Pearce as young Weyland also implies that Alien and Blade a runner are part of the same cinematic universe (the Scottiverse? The Ridleyverse?)

Also having rewatched them both recently, it's funny how much overlap Prometheus has with Alien vs. Predator.

Iirc bladerunner has weyland industries referenced in one of the computer file readouts.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's a load of Alien references in Bladerunner because Ridley Scott got the art team to reuse a load of motion graphics in blink-and-you'll-miss-it shots because they were fairly expensive to make and he liked how they looked

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The primary qualifications to get a PhD are mental endurance, masochism, and ability to kiss the right asses. Intelligence is orthogonal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

A billionaire choose this crew to do the first space x flight around the moon

Here's a relevant comic.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb1Qr89Ln5z/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

Also people in the past would think programmers and coders are geniuses. Time and experience has shown us otherwise. I work with a huge tech company reading messages from these people. Not all of them are that bright.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also they're trying to invalidate the more permissive license they had in place previously, in such a way that it's not even clear if you're allowed to sell stuff you made under the old license. A LOT of RPG publishers relied on the OGL 1.0 to produce supplements and settings for D&D and even entire RPGs based off the original rules, and now it's not clear what they can do.

(Technically it's still the case that game rules can't be copyrighted but Hasbro has a lot of money so few people are willing to test them on this.)

lmao they're playing with fire considering Pathfinder is right there if you want the exact same flavor, to say nothing of other settings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rochallor posted:

lmao they're playing with fire considering Pathfinder is right there if you want the exact same flavor, to say nothing of other settings.

It's also very funny because Pathfinder already did beat D&D in sales during the 4E era. Not by some crushing margin or anything, but they've proven they can hang in there and compete and give a certain market segment what they want. They are also pretty darn established at this point, so I don't know if it's wise to "tickle the dragon", as it were.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Pathfinder is based on 3.5. It might be in trouble too unless they change some stuff to be more original.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The MSJ posted:

Pathfinder is based on 3.5. It might be in trouble too unless they change some stuff to be more original.

Isn’t there some kind of legal time limit to how long you can wait before suing for copyright? Pathfinder has been around for a long time at this point and I’m pretty sure the opportunity to sue is long gone. And it’s not like you can copyright the idea of “playing pretend with dice rolls” anyway.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Which skill do you check for dragon-tickling?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Pathfinder also is now in 2nd Edition which significantly departs from the old "D&D 3.75E" joke. They are still using the OGL, but it might now be so easy for WotC to prove that Pathfinder 2e is something that violates the new OGL.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Athletics, intimidation, and swimming

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cacator posted:

There are Blade Runner spinners in the Coruscant skylines in The Phantom Menace. There were also claims for a long time that ILM inserted a xenomorph as one of the senators but I've never seen any hard confirmation for that.

The Phantom Menace also has a pod from 2001 in Watto's junkyard, ET as a senator, and the Enterprise over Coruscant.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Leave posted:

Athletics, intimidation, and swimming

Sportiness, bullying, and aquatic mobility.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1612770771415273474?t=JzVvaWKtyedQAXDSiMd7AQ&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is how I find out that Daniel Day-Lewis' kid is in this

At least they gave Gina Carano's character a name unlike the Hunter Biden movie, where she was just credited as 'Secret Service Agent'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

not to mention Paramount Plus' track record with some of their bigger IP's

Beavis and Butthead is great at least

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is how I find out that Daniel Day-Lewis' kid is in this

At least they gave Gina Carano's character a name unlike the Hunter Biden movie, where she was just credited as 'Secret Service Agent'
I already forgot about that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You can de - forget it when they release it in selected theatres in 8 months

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Del Toro's film would have gotten all the exact same criticism.

I think del toro's wouldnt have magic goo, a weird android, flute powered computer.

I ll be honest about being salty.

As others posted above me there were some points that were cut from the film, but its just not a alien story and shouldnt have been made as one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How did the del Toro Pinocchio turn out?

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
So is the new thread ready now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Driftingmouse posted:

So is the new thread ready now?

Why are you being so pushy about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought everyone here was against reboots anyway :v: