Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Donkringel posted:

Russia just had a leadership change.

Gerasimov has taken over for Surovikin.

Unsure if that is a good or a bad thing for Ukraine long term, although hopefully they can take advantage of the disorganization during the changeover.

It's definitely a good sign that instead of bringing in new people they keep cycling between the same two failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Unsure if that is a good or a bad thing for Ukraine long term, although hopefully they can take advantage of the disorganization during the changeover.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1613270551702675482

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's definitely a good sign that instead of bringing in new people they keep cycling between the same two failures.

Oh so it is the same guy! I kept mixing up the order when I was writing the post and I couldn't figure out why.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Russia’s general with by far the largest volume of relevant combat experience just got operationally demoted (his 3-month results are the loss of Kherson and a whole 0 in Bakhmut), and the guy taking his place is the chief of the general staff of RuAF. This is their final boss of generals, bar comedy options of Shoygu and Putin, and you know what combat he’s most famous for? That’s right, posting combat (look up “Gerasimov’s doctrine”), because the guy has no combat experience and was appointed as a political functionary following the dismissal of Serdyukov, the minister of defence that rocked the boat a bit too much with seriously gunning for corruption in the military and the MIC.

This is not a particular strong showing from Russia, as far as publicly known information is concerned.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
NBC news link says that an expert in the region is saying the shakeup is for "political" reasons. Does anyone have any clue what those could be? Not saying I believe the Kremlin, but if there is a legitimate political reason, what is it?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

NBC news link says that an expert in the region is saying the shakeup is for "political" reasons. Does anyone have any clue what those could be? Not saying I believe the Kremlin, but if there is a legitimate political reason, what is it?

One option could be, since this is Russia we're talking about, that they do realize that the guy who got demoted just now is the best option they have, but they also know that whatever Ukraine is planning for next will be another painful and unavoidable loss, and their one good general may not be a politically viable option after more disasters. So they're putting Mr. Politico in charge to take the fall. A couple painful losses later, they can then blame the new guy and shuffle things back to the reasonable option.

Comedy option, they know the war is lost and put this guy in charge to be the final fall guy for when the inevitable happens. Then, after the war, they can appoint the real general back into position for the painful rebuilding effort.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Pook Good Mook posted:

Maybe he ran out of missiles to shoot at Ukraine while insisting to Putin there were plenty left. Or he goes to join Wagner as Chief Genocide Officer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's not a good use of your time to try guess why Russia does [a thing] unless there is some clear indication to the cause. In this case, maybe they kept Gerasimov on the side to plan for the Winter Offensive, which will now commence!!! Or maybe Surovikin did such an abysmal job that they let him get a face saving win and then tossed him aside??? It could be just about anything, we don't know.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

Spanish Defense Minister states in interview with Spanish ambassadors that efforts to support Ukraine with arms are still being vetoed by the Swiss. The minister did not specify exactly what material is being blocked.

I believe one previous Swiss poster mentioned this was a component of the Swiss constitution—a requirement that their arms not be sent to active conflicts—which they remained in favor of.

https://switzerlandtimes.ch/world/switzerland-blocks-spanish-arms-for-ukraine/
It's a legal, not a constitutional issue. "Neutrality" is in the constitution, yes, but it's not defined and it's not absolute. The minimum requirements are set in the Hague Convention on Neutral Powers of 1907 (that will tell you how useful it is today) but that's not even what says "no arms will go to Ukraine!".

No, the problem is that the parliament changed the Federal War Materiel Act just last year, to remove all discretion the government had for allowing exceptions for arms exports. Now, I'm pretty sure if a less Eastern European country was attacked and needed the gear (say, Austria?), we'd probably still find a way ASAP and claim there's no violation of the rule of law, but in the current political climate it's not happening and neither is changing the law to be less monumentally stupid.

However, for certain governments in Europe it's also very convenient to blame the dastardly neutral Swiss for why they sadly can't supply Gepards, their ammo, or some other piece of not immediately critical, but still useful equipment.

OctaMurk posted:

why would you outsource your ammo production to a nation that constitutionally forbids providing ammos to nations in conflict, when conflict is the whole point of getting the ammo
Buying from the Swiss arms industry was rational until May 2022 considering a) you're never using the arms in an actual war (those are extinct in Europe, right? War on Terror missions might not even count, and you can use them for peace enforcement/peace support operations anyway) and b) until then it was completely legal for the government to allow exceptions. So even in a hypothetical Putin vs. NATO shooting war the government could have said "they're political allies/it's for self defense/actually it's stupid not to send it/lol, lmao" and allowed it nonetheless. Now they can't. I mean they could, but it's against the law and there's an actual political majority for "uuh let's stay out of war". Because for one side, it's all about "war bad, weapons bad". And for the other side it's now all about ~NEUTRALITY~ (because they want to go back to do business with Daddy Putin, and the enemy of their enemy is their friend?).

And yes the law will kill our defense industry in the (not so) long run.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If I am not mistaken, there’s a procedural caveat of “self-defence” for this.
Not even that. The article in question now says

quote:

Export trade [...] shall not be authorised if:
a. the country of destination is involved in an internal or international armed conflict;
There are two exceptions: Small arms for sporting/private use, and peace support operations based on mandates from the UN (lol), OSCE (lol) or other "supranational organisation whose objective is to promote peace" (lol).

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^^ E: :cheers:

Pook Good Mook posted:

It’s political in that this is the most poisoned possible chalice for Gerasimov. Your interpretations of the whys here will be as good as mine, that said.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 11, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Obviously setting up a fall guy for when Wagner goes “mission accomplished” and leaves the area undefended

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pair of good threads on the Surovikin/Gerasimov situation

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1613225252900966401

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1613249592287453194?s=20

top guy is from RUSI, bottom is from Rand, albeit her analysis has been generally far better than any of the poo poo with Rand's name on it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some more news:

The German Bundeswehr is already preparing to move three Patriot-batteries to the Eastern border of Poland, preparations for a fourth battery to be moved into Ukraine are also starting. (The last one being the one that was promised together with the Marders.)

Also spicy: Despite Poland claiming they want to supply Ukraine with Leo-2s, according to German government spokesman Steffen Hebestreit there haven't been any requests about Leo-2s. Though the article is unclear about what requests we're talking about. Requests from the Ukrainians? An export request from Poland? Guessing from context, I'm guessing it's about Polish requests (as that is necessary so Poland can be allowed to give their Leo-2s to Ukraine*)

*As the Leopard-2 is a German design, the German government has the last say in what happens with Leo-2s they've sold abroad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Libluini posted:

Some more news:

The German Bundeswehr is already preparing to move three Patriot-batteries to the Eastern border of Poland, preparations for a fourth battery to be moved into Ukraine are also starting. (The last one being the one that was promised together with the Marders.)

Also spicy: Despite Poland claiming they want to supply Ukraine with Leo-2s, according to German government spokesman Steffen Hebestreit there haven't been any requests about Leo-2s. Though the article is unclear about what requests we're talking about. Requests from the Ukrainians? An export request from Poland? Guessing from context, I'm guessing it's about Polish requests (as that is necessary so Poland can be allowed to give their Leo-2s to Ukraine*)

*As the Leopard-2 is a German design, the German government has the last say in what happens with Leo-2s they've sold abroad.

What actions can Germany take if the Poles just ignore them and ship Ukraine the tanks?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

What actions can Germany take if the Poles just ignore them and ship Ukraine the tanks?

Stop selling any weapons to Poland would be the best case scenario.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

That is such a ridiculous suggestion

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

orcane posted:

It's a legal, not a constitutional issue. "Neutrality" is in the constitution, yes, but it's not defined and it's not absolute. The minimum requirements are set in the Hague Convention on Neutral Powers of 1907 (that will tell you how useful it is today) but that's not even what says "no arms will go to Ukraine!".

No, the problem is that the parliament changed the Federal War Materiel Act just last year, to remove all discretion the government had for allowing exceptions for arms exports. Now, I'm pretty sure if a less Eastern European country was attacked and needed the gear (say, Austria?), we'd probably still find a way ASAP and claim there's no violation of the rule of law, but in the current political climate it's not happening and neither is changing the law to be less monumentally stupid.

However, for certain governments in Europe it's also very convenient to blame the dastardly neutral Swiss for why they sadly can't supply Gepards, their ammo, or some other piece of not immediately critical, but still useful equipment.

Just look around tv channels in the West for a few hours and you'll notice hypocrisy everywhere: constitutions are being thrown in the toilets and their articles ignored since this war has begun.
All because we need to fight this crazy proxy war against Russia. Because if Ukraine falls, the whole West will be eaten by the evil russians....right? RIGHT?!? :clegg:
For example, in the italian constitution (but I'm sure in other european constitution too) there are various articles who clearly state that, as a democratic country, we abhor war as a mean to regulate relations between nations and is absoloutely prohibited for my country to help foreign nations at war........
Do you think someone in the government asked what WE (THE PEOPLE!) think about this war in a distant eastern land from us and that no italian cares about? No way, 10 hours after the war started all jumped on the U.S. crazy train to "finally" gently caress Russia .
Doesn't matter if in the process the 4th most corrupt country in the world called "Ukraine" (U.N. classification just before the war) is completely WRECKED as a functioning country and thousands of lives are gone.
1 year is almost passed, the house gas is skyrocket to mad prices and I don't know if next month I'll be able to afford to pay the rent or buy gasoline for my car which I need to go to work.
Do you think the government use my hard earned money/taxes to better improve our domestic lives? noooooooooooo, let's spend billions of euros every 3 day so we can keep sending weapons east. :ughh:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

source your quotes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Stop selling any weapons to Poland would be the best case scenario.

Seems like the Polish government is happy to have Korea astroturf their defence industry anyway. Why bother with Leopards when you’re gonna build and service K1s domestically with South Korean assistance?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Seems like the Polish government is happy to have Korea astroturf their defence industry anyway. Why bother with Leopards when you’re gonna build and service K1s domestically with South Korean assistance?

You don't understand. If a Korean tank has a single screw from Germany – or even if the screw was just invented in Germany, but made anywhere else under a German licence – it won't be sold to Poland. German MREs? German dual use technology like GPS chips? Forget about all of it. This is a catastrophically bad fight to pick, and they will never go there.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Knightsoul posted:

Just look around tv channels in the West for a few hours and you'll notice hypocrisy everywhere: constitutions are being thrown in the toilets and their articles ignored since this war has begun.
All because we need to fight this crazy proxy war against Russia. Because if Ukraine falls, the whole West will be eaten by the evil russians....right? RIGHT?!? :clegg:
For example, in the italian constitution (but I'm sure in other european constitution too) there are various articles who clearly state that, as a democratic country, we abhor war as a mean to regulate relations between nations and is absoloutely prohibited for my country to help foreign nations at war........
Do you think someone in the government asked what WE (THE PEOPLE!) think about this war in a distant eastern land from us and that no italian cares about? No way, 10 hours after the war started all jumped on the U.S. crazy train to "finally" gently caress Russia .
Doesn't matter if in the process the 4th most corrupt country in the world called "Ukraine" (U.N. classification just before the war) is completely WRECKED as a functioning country and thousands of lives are gone.
1 year is almost passed, the house gas is skyrocket to mad prices and I don't know if next month I'll be able to afford to pay the rent or buy gasoline for my car which I need to go to work.
Do you think the government use my hard earned money/taxes to better improve our domestic lives? noooooooooooo, let's spend billions of euros every 3 day so we can keep sending weapons east. :ughh:

The Italian constitution literally uses the words war of aggression, which would endorse unifying behind the defending party to ensure that the aggressor doesn't see any gains for the economic and reputational damage. Non-intervention outright is and endorsement of wars of aggression by larger powers. every nation saying not my problem as weaker states get carved up or annexed outright and literally rounded up to be used as disposable shock troopers just results in it eventually happening to them eventualy

"Italy shall repudiate war as an instrument of aggression against the freedom of other peoples..." is a very clear-cut call to condemn the behavior of Russia in this war.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You don't understand. If a Korean tank has a single screw from Germany – or even if the screw was just invented in Germany, but made anywhere else under a German licence – it won't be sold to Poland. German MREs? German dual use technology like GPS chips? Forget about all of it. This is a catastrophically bad fight to pick, and they will never go there.

Special focus on the screw part, Germany is tied for second for machine tooling production they have all of the heavy hitting companies that are involved in all things metal forming.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

It’s really interesting how similar these takes are to the right wing social media positions in the US, particularly the non sequitur mention of Ukraine’s past corruption issues.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Knightsoul posted:

You know that Russia can just walk away any time they want, right? The West ending aid to Ukraine would not stop the devastation of the country or its people, but Russia ending its invasion would. So why point the finger at Western aid?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s really interesting how similar these takes are to the right wing social media positions in the US, particularly the non sequitur mention of Ukraine’s past corruption issues.

And even if Ukraine's GDP was 90% kickbacks, it still wouldn't make Russia justified or the war "OK"

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Why would South Korea want to sell anything to a nation that doesn't stick to agreements regarding selling military goods? There's a lot of rules and restrictions around international arms sales for very good reason, if a nation just starts ignoring those, they will quickly find themselves in very hard times purchasing anything.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

orcane posted:

[T]he problem is that the parliament changed the Federal War Materiel Act just last year, to remove all discretion the government had for allowing exceptions for arms exports. […]
Very helpful post, thank you!

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

the holy poopacy posted:

You know that Russia can just walk away any time they want, right?

Unfortunately the reality is they cannot. The Putin regime has 2 options. Come away with something they can call a victory, or not be the ruling regime in Russia. There is no going back to February 23, 2022, and they will keep throwing bodies at the problem until one of those two things occur.

Western media seems to be showing emphasis on the rift between Wagner and the regular armed forcues, with Prigozhin trying to take all the glory at Soledar and the Russian MoD stating otherwise. Is this side of it being reported in Russia media?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dick Ripple posted:

Unfortunately the reality is they cannot. The Putin regime has 2 options. Come away with something they can call a victory, or not be the ruling regime in Russia. There is no going back to February 23, 2022, and they will keep throwing bodies at the problem until one of those two things occur.

This isn't wrong but it's pedantic. Russia's the aggressor period. Anyone who is mad about western aid or the costs or oil prices or anything are ACTUALLY mad at Russia and Putin. The aid is necessary, vital, ethical, and a good cause. If you want to know what's in it for the EU or the US, this is also the cheapest, wildest bargain for diminishing the Kremlin's power and influence ever for those groups.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It is wrong lol. People absolutely lose wars without instantly losing their hold on power. Putin's grip on power is, as far as anyone can tell, still very solid. All the factional bullshit currently is specifically over positions 1 or 2 steps below Putin.

Dick Ripple posted:

Western media seems to be showing emphasis on the rift between Wagner and the regular armed forcues, with Prigozhin trying to take all the glory at Soledar and the Russian MoD stating otherwise. Is this side of it being reported in Russia media?

There's no evidence that it would actually end Putin's regime if they withdrew from Ukraine. Hell it might even strengthen his position as the war is not perceived to be much of a success. There is no existing movement to remove Putin from power to even be empowered by a withdrawal.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 12, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It is wrong lol. People absolutely lose wars without instantly losing their hold on power. Putin's grip on power is, as far as anyone can tell, still very solid. All the factional bullshit currently is specifically over positions 1 or 2 steps below Putin.

Take Saddam. Achieved none of his goals from invading Iran while losing a few hundred thousand dead. Stayed in power. Proceeds to get his army absolutely annihilated a few years later in the Gulf War. Still stayed in power.

Sure there were uprisings and rebellions but with enough of a stranglehold on power losing a war or two sure as hell doesn't necessarily mean regime collapse.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Knightsoul posted:

It's funny how bad this take is.
Gas prices have normalized somewhat right now and there are tax refunds out for the biggest price spikes(I got a partial refund on the 5 highest electrical/gas bills of the year). The current car fuel price hike is due to the reinstitution of state taxes which were suspended in the summer to help deal with the crazyness.
I love that a giant motivation behind voting the big dick energy hard right party was "we need to stop government theft" and they are now twisting in a pretzel trying to justify their leader coming out, eating poo poo and saying "actually, taxes are cool and good":iia:

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Take Saddam. Achieved none of his goals from invading Iran while losing a few hundred thousand dead. Stayed in power. Proceeds to get his army absolutely annihilated a few years later in the Gulf War. Still stayed in power.

Sure there were uprisings and rebellions but with enough of a stranglehold on power losing a war or two sure as hell doesn't necessarily mean regime collapse.

Putin does not instill fear into the populace the way Saddam did. Far as I am a aware no one is being slowly melted in acid, pumped full of compressed air, and then their entire extended families murdered in Russia the way Saddam did to the Iraqi people.

Looking at Russian history in particular during the last century, losing wars did not go wall for those in charge. I am aware that is not a predictor of the future, but for a Putin who portrayes himself as this strong man protector of everything Russia(n), his prospects of remaining in power do not look good if Russia is humialiated by Ukraine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Avayev and Protosenya would probably dispute that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dick Ripple posted:

Even if putin believes this to be true, that's still two choices, not one. Putin * could* withdraw.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Knightsoul posted:

All because we need to fight this crazy proxy war against Russia. Because if Ukraine falls, the whole West will be eaten by the evil russians....right? RIGHT?!?

No, this was not the threat hung over the heads of western nations. The simple fact of the matter is that there was apparently a level of military aggression that russia could commit to that actually obligated a large amount of the world to action against them, and since that day they've continued to do things which keep that level of obligation mostly consistent and long-term (constant, breathtaking warcrimes, etc)

russia also doesn't help things for themselves by making this about the easiest money ever spent to counter russia as a geopolitical rival

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

Looking at Russian history in particular during the last century, losing wars did not go wall for those in charge. I am aware that is not a predictor of the future, but for a Putin who portrayes himself as this strong man protector of everything Russia(n), his prospects of remaining in power do not look good if Russia is humialiated by Ukraine.

To the contrary, this is exactly backwards. 1905 didn't do poo poo to Bloody Nicky, and in 1917, the ones that signed a humiliating peace were the... Bolsheviks. What didn't go well was staying in a losing war.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

Kicking the living poo poo out of Russia does significantly and materially improve my domestic life, thank you very much for your fake concern, though

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OddObserver posted:

To the contrary, this is exactly backwards. 1905 didn't do poo poo to Bloody Nicky, and in 1917, the ones that signed a humiliating peace were the... Bolsheviks. What didn't go well was staying in a losing war.

Bolsheviks got pretty lucky with Germany being defeated by the Entente in 1918 though, no one was really expecting that to happen so suddenly and completely, and at the time the Soviet Union was getting drawn ever closer to industrial and diplomatic servitude to the Germans under the threat of direct military intervention. The humiliating peace they signed tore Russia apart and basically precipiated the civil war, which was way more destructive than World War I, and had they not lucked out with Germany's defeat, they would probably have lost almost all political legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Kicking the living poo poo out of Russia does significantly and materially improve my domestic life, thank you very much for your fake concern, though

If he is actually Italian, as seems to be the case, then I don't think it is "fake" concern, just "misplaced" concern.

In Switzerland I haven't first-hand seen any material difference in my daily life based on the war except that car charging stations are way more expensive. I haven't gotten a 2023 electricity bill yet nor have I seen my heating bill, although we just turned on the heat two days ago so I guess it will be lower than in previous years. Obviously this will vary a ton depending on how new peoples' apartments are and on their neighbors, but our apartment got as low as 16.5° during the cold snap in Dec, then it settled around 18°. I turned it to 18.5° since having the floors stay warm is a huge impact and I don't want to wear slippers in the kitchen or in the bedroom, even if I don't care about the air temperature much.

The only other firsthand difference I saw due to the war, besides Ukrainian flags everywhere, is that France didn't have mustard last summer, even though in Switzerland it was on every shelf without issue. Must have been some weird supply chain snafu specific to France. I don't really get the talking points about fuel being way more expensive, like it was historical absurd lows due to COVID, and except for a very short summer spike, it has been more or less the same price as in 2019. If I didn't read the news I'd have no clue there was a war going on 1500 km away.