Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

KirbyKhan posted:

She arrives and still refuses to eat my cooking and the first video she wants to watch on the TV is the nostalgic m&m commercial retrospective. Pray4me plz

good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KirbyKhan posted:

Imma thread poo poo this special place with Mother In Law complaints. She's back for the birth of her grand daughter. I deep cleaned our home like I was back on shift at the Ramada, it has never been cleaner. She arrives and still refuses to eat my cooking and the first video she wants to watch on the TV is the nostalgic m&m commercial retrospective. Pray4me plz

lady knows what she likes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

feeling very glad that i like and get along with my mother in law (and also with my mom)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My in-laws and I definitely have a horseshoe effect going on where we completely agree on things for entirely different reasons.

I remember the first time I experienced this phenomenon because my father-in-law was loudly bemoaning the television show Everybody Loves Raymond. I was still dating his daughter at the time so I saw it as my chance to commiserate.

"Yeah that show is really bad. Not funny at all."

But the reason he didn't like it wasn't because it's a lovely sitcom that isn't funny. His issue was that he didn't like how mean the family members were to each other and how family should treat each other better than that.

I was able to pivot at that point but we still held that common thread that Everybody Loves Raymond is a bad show.

We do it with Biden too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

feeling very glad that i like and get along with my mother in law (and also with my mom)

Oh I get along with her fine, I even like her, but lmao there is absolutely no space in their side of the household to even mildly critique their ancient elders.

In my side of the family, the oldest daughter, my sister, wrested control of the matriarchy at 38. Wife's noble family is perfectly content letting their dementia ladden gerontocracy squander and get scammed. COINTEL worked too well.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't stand watching TV with, or being around, with my MIL. She's a typical boomer who insists on snide little comments whenever someone who isn't a hetero white person gets focus on TV. Oh and anything you do that she didn't (doesn't) is either completely wrong or an affront to her existence.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No baby, I wasn't planning on sitting down tonight anyway, it's fine, I'll stand and walk instead, my back/neck is not sore, I am well rested and I do not need the comfy chair.

But yeah, if you have a baby and not one of those wrap things to carry it, you're missing out. I may be standing, but I have two hands to post and the baby is sleeping (as long as I don't sit down (normally I'm even allowed to sit if I do it carefully)).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

lobster shirt posted:

Treasure that woman.

Mine has always been a narcissistic horror, but the baby has actually been helpful. She's a pleasant distraction for everyone and enjoying her is now one thing we have in common. And parenting has also finally forced my wife to adjust expectations, with shorter visits minimizing temper tantrums.

She's still an awful person and I hope to minimize her influence on our daughter, but having a kid is pretty clarifying for dealing with toxic people. :sever:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
My mom has been real helpful with all the baby stuff we gotta get ready before the birth.

But... just a couple days ago I was going to drop some garbage in the big trash can, and she stopped me, almost indignant because that would stink the inside of the trash can. She grabbed a plastic bag and now the garbage is in the plastic bag, next to the trash can.

:psyduck: So what is a trash can for then? Have I been using it wrong all this time?

Back to parenting, our girl is starting to move more, and we're both anxious and impatient that the birth is now little over a month away.

Edit: Oh, hey, 6 days to my 17th forums anniversary. Sweet. Hope the next 17 go by as easy. :froggonk:

Kal-L has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Jan 13, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I finally caved and sent my 2yo to daycare unmasked (he won't wear them) today, because we need desperately need the help. Hopefully we're not all hanging around the house this summer with blown-out lungs, but I held out as long as I could. :sigh:

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I finally caved and sent my 2yo to daycare unmasked (he won't wear them) today, because we need desperately need the help. Hopefully we're not all hanging around the house this summer with blown-out lungs, but I held out as long as I could. :sigh:

We've had COVID once from my wife taking it home from work, rather than the kids getting sick, strangely enough. The oldest has been there since last January and the youngest since July. We couldn't keep them home because it was tearing us apart.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PerniciousKnid posted:

My kids wear n95 masks to school everyday and get sick all the time anyways. Try not to stress yourself too much about it, it took me a while but I was able to let go of some of that anxiety.

Once the winter virus season passes I'm going to try and get them to stop wearing masks to school, there doesn't seem to be much point to it if only 20% of kids are masked in the room. It's not my preference but they're well vaccinated and in good health mostly.

Whether they'll do it is another question, they're pretty adamant sometimes about wearing them outdoors when there's no one around. I've been trying to unwind that part.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My kids wear masks at school even though only like 15-20% of the kids there do it because it's just our habit now. Everyone in our family knows that if you're going to be inside with people who aren't in the immediate family, you wear a mask and it's not a big deal.

Also my youngest chews on his fingers and it helps a shitload with having him not put his fuckin hands in his mouth all day at school.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

your kid might not get covid but he or she is definitely going to bring home some excruciating illnesses and infect your whole house. here is the last few months of my daycare experience:

week before thanksgiving: kid picks up a nasty cold, infects me, misses three or four days of daycare.

first week of december: right after going back to daycare, gets sick again, doctor diagnoses pneumonia. thankfully disease does not spread any further and responds quickly to antibiotics. misses three days of daycare.

week of christmas: kid gets sick again, cold leading to double ear infection. responds quickly to antibiotics but not before infecting me, i spread it to my mother in law and wife. does not miss any daycare because its the holidays and theyre closed.

this week: some kind of viral cold knocks him out of daycare for two days. negative covid test. thankfully the fever broke two nights ago and he is fine now.

kids are loving disgusting, they spend all day coughing and sneezing and drooling into each others mouths and ears.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The one big thing I will stress with masks is that it's 100% something that your kids look to you for guidance on.

If you treat masks like some huge imposition and vocally complain about wearing them, that's what your kids are gonna do. But if you just treat it like any other PPE that you use when the situation requires it, it's just a regular dang thing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The one big thing I will stress with masks is that it's 100% something that your kids look to you for guidance on.

If you treat masks like some huge imposition and vocally complain about wearing them, that's what your kids are gonna do. But if you just treat it like any other PPE that you use when the situation requires it, it's just a regular dang thing.

Oh yeah for sure, we've been strong on masks the whole time. They don't seem to be doing much good anymore is all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's a bummer. I don't know where you're at but it's probably the case that community transmission levels just overwhelm anything you can do as an individual at some point.

Personally I haven't been sick since before COVID and I really fuckin enjoy that. Even when my kids got a little hoarse it never got to me.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

your kid might not get covid but he or she is definitely going to bring home some excruciating illnesses and infect your whole house. here is the last few months of my daycare experience:

week before thanksgiving: kid picks up a nasty cold, infects me, misses three or four days of daycare.

first week of december: right after going back to daycare, gets sick again, doctor diagnoses pneumonia. thankfully disease does not spread any further and responds quickly to antibiotics. misses three days of daycare.

week of christmas: kid gets sick again, cold leading to double ear infection. responds quickly to antibiotics but not before infecting me, i spread it to my mother in law and wife. does not miss any daycare because its the holidays and theyre closed.

this week: some kind of viral cold knocks him out of daycare for two days. negative covid test. thankfully the fever broke two nights ago and he is fine now.

kids are loving disgusting, they spend all day coughing and sneezing and drooling into each others mouths and ears.
Accurate, my kids mask at school every day and we've still been sick at least once a month including well over half the Christmas holiday with various non-COVID illness. It is wild.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lots of parents had to go through this same process, ourselves included. It's tough.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So I'm facing a dilemma with our four year old. She currently attends a small, really awesome, Montessori preschool that offers a kindergarten as well. She's absolutely thriving there, but public school enrollment is coming up.

Our geographically assigned elementary school is trash on paper. Its low test scores, though, are largely the product of the school getting fed a large chunk of our refugee community. It's the most diverse school and has the most ESL kids in the state by a mile. Critically, it offers Spanish immersion K-5 curriculum. Lessons alternate between Spanish/English every day. Both my wife and I are monolingual.

So the question is do we stick with what is working, or do we take the eventual plunge as early as possible? Cost isn't an issue, and the kid is already way above grade level on reading and basic math. I know she'll necessarily get less attention in a larger classroom.

My inclination is to make the switch, mostly for integrating her into her geographic peer group and early language exposure.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'd visit it and see how you feel.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm convinced that school reviews are entirely astroturfed by the real estate industry. So yeah, check it out with your eyes. Talk to a person there.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Talk to the principal and ask for a visit. I'd also ask to see what they're serving for lunch. I work in a desperately poor school district and it's usually either pizza, cheese sticks, or mini pancakes from a bag. When I went to a school in a richer area the lunch room looked almost like the hot bar at Whole Foods.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm convinced that school reviews are entirely astroturfed by the real estate industry. So yeah, check it out with your eyes. Talk to a person there.

it’s a proxy for wealth and covid hosed it up so it’s not really even that

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That's a bummer. I don't know where you're at but it's probably the case that community transmission levels just overwhelm anything you can do as an individual at some point.

Personally I haven't been sick since before COVID and I really fuckin enjoy that. Even when my kids got a little hoarse it never got to me.
I feel like we've all been mildly sick ever since the school mask mandate was retired, but nothing very serious, so maybe masks are doing something? We've certainly fared better than other families so far.

I did love not being sick for a couple years, I dunno why other people are such stans for getting sick.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Does the school have a Facebook page or any social media where you can contact other parents, or read their opinions? A visit is good too, but having more info about how the school is on a longer time scale can be good too.

And if you do end up sending your kid to the bilingual school, try and start her with the language a bit before she attends. I imagine for a young kid having to change schools and then half the time not knowing that people are talking in another language could be very stressful. Maybe show her some clips from her favorite cartoons in spanish and see how she reacts to the change.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kal-L posted:

Maybe show her some clips from her favorite cartoons in spanish and see how she reacts to the change.

At least show her some Dora or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

me to my son after he takes a piss and proceeds to Fortnite dance out of the bathroom:

"D'you know what you should dab on, son? Your hands. With some soap and water."

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

At least show her some Dora or something.

my 3yo is nuts for his daily Spanish Bluey ep.

show has a bazillion audio tracks on Disney+.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just celebrated our first month with the infant. Everyone keeps telling us we’re over the hurdle. it’s just all easier from here, right? right?!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

El Mero Mero posted:

just celebrated our first month with the infant. Everyone keeps telling us we’re over the hurdle. it’s just all easier from here, right? right?!

You'll eventually have a toddler so no

Real talk though: each age has its own positives and negatives. I don't change toddler's diaper anymore but he's destructo, harbinger of chaos. Twins are about 2 weeks old and they don't do much besides fluid in, fluid out but they do that every few hours.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this is a fun time to inform you that whatever soothing technique you settle on to get them back to sleep will come back time and time again even when they're like 9.

my son still asks for me to pat him on the back so he can fall asleep. if I do it, he's out in minutes.

My trick was singing to them. Had to sing 3-5 songs a night for years BUT they both figured out around age 5 or so that I cannot actually sing for poo poo and that was the end of that

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

me to my son after he takes a piss and proceeds to Fortnite dance out of the bathroom:

Underappreciated post

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

El Mero Mero posted:

Hahaha :shepicide:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I vote yes tbh

I have a 2-year-old, this is supposed to be one of the worst ages, and I far prefer it to the newborn stage. She lets me sleep semi-normal hours most of the time, she can do stuff even if not all of it is stuff I'd rather have her doing, and she can say she loves me (she can also scream and scream and scream but she could do that as a newborn too, and more often). She requires more attention but I'm not as completely exhausted all the time so it's easier overall. We have another coming soon and I am dreading doing another newborn stage

Doesn't REALLY start getting easier until 3 months though IMO, as that's when you can start sleep training

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I trust 0 memories from that first 3 months. It's all hazy and abstract. My brain did it on purpose to trick me into having a second.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

2-3 yo is infinitely preferable to an infant. I have both and the new kid is breaking me. My darling beautiful perfect 2.5yo daughter is a gift from the universe compared to my goblin satan 10 week old son.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

I trust 0 memories from that first 3 months. It's all hazy and abstract. My brain did it on purpose to trick me into having a second.

this

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bitmap posted:

2-3 yo is infinitely preferable to an infant. I have both and the new kid is breaking me. My darling beautiful perfect 2.5yo daughter is a gift from the universe compared to my goblin satan 10 week old son.

I would take my daughter when she was 10 weeks or older to my son from 2-3.5 ( current age)

But those first ten weeks with my daughter, oh man. Nightmarish haze my mind has largely blocked out.