Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lamentable dustman posted:

Watching enterprise for the first time and up to s3, it ain't good.

Just one more season until you crack the blistering heights of "decent" for Enterprise! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

"Yeah I shot a hole through a guy's chest"
"I saw that, Bev killed a guy!"

That episode is so fun. Crusher is basically a rogue detective with Picard complaining he's got the mayor up his rear end, and at the end she karate kicks a guy, blows a hole in him and then vaporizes him. They could have fun with her character when they wanted to.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

I did this recently and I got nearly all the way through S4 and haven't gone back to finish for some reason. Even though that season was actually pretty great!

I didn't actually mind the early seasons, it hit the spot of 90s sci-fi "dreamed a little too big" nostalgia. And I had the benefit of not watching much classic Star Trek before it so I didn't notice all the re-used plots.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The first two seasons of Enterprise are either dull attempts to build drama with characters they refuse to develop, crippled with idiotic plot decisions, or both.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It didnt help I could never see what was on the screen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

That episode is so fun. Crusher is basically a rogue detective with Picard complaining he's got the mayor up his rear end, and at the end she karate kicks a guy, blows a hole in him and then vaporizes him. They could have fun with her character when they wanted to.

What episode is that?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

What episode is that?

Suspicions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that was great. They never seemed to know what to do with her, but one of Crusher's character traits that could've fuelled plenty more plots was how she was always incredibly determined and uncompromising when she believed something was the right thing to do.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they over used the holodeck at times.

imagine a bottle episode where troy just helps people with their mental health. imagine a married couple

"in my culture it is the males job to do X"

"my speices doesnt have gender I m not male"

"It doesnt mater because I m omnisexual"

"I dont know what that means"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, that was great. They never seemed to know what to do with her, but one of Crusher's character traits that could've fuelled plenty more plots was how she was always incredibly determined and uncompromising when she believed something was the right thing to do.

I mean that was one of the more annoying things about TNG, she really could of been used much more and she was great as the uncompromising voice of ethics, but she was often just not given that much to do.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

mllaneza posted:

The first two seasons of Enterprise are either dull attempts to build drama with characters they refuse to develop, crippled with idiotic plot decisions, or both.

While it is frustrating that Enterprise forgets that Hoshi, Mayweather, and Reed exist for most of S2-4, that is understandable. Mayweather and Reed's actors are pretty bad. Hoshi's actress can do alright (see: the Mirror Universe episodes in S4), but normally her character is written to have all the dynamism of a sack of flour. As someone who watched all of Quantum Leap with my mom when I was a kid, I'm a fan of Scott Bakula... but his character in ENT is bland as hell. Like, every other captain has a few words you can hang on them that make them stand out, even if they're dumb poo poo like Kirk's horniness or Janeway being homicidally protective of her crew. But what does Archer have? What, say, three words describe him apart from the other captains? He's got nothing, And he's like a stand-in for the whole show.

The writing, more than anything else, failed ENT. They didn't know what to do with most of the characters, and S3 was at least twice as long as that plot should have run. If the whole series was structured like the miniseries maybe the writers would have had more focus, and could have compartmentalized highlighting more of the characters evenly. S4 is much better than the rest, but even then it misses some layups as far as emotional payoffs for some plots and characters. And that is to say nothing of the war crime that is the last episode.

So get why people hate ENT. On balance it's not good. I still like it better than VOY, but that's a low bar. You could probably watch 3-5 eps per season, then watch most of S4 and do alright.

In conclusion, Enterprise is a land of contrasts and

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

I mean that was one of the more annoying things about TNG, she really could of been used much more and she was great as the uncompromising voice of ethics, but she was often just not given that much to do.

she hosed that ghost, sloved a who dunnit, was the dancing doctor, wesley....hey what happend to wesley's dad?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

hey what happend to wesley's dad?

He got three terrible seasons of a 20-year-later sequel show.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Beverly crusher is competent Peggy Hill

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ups_rail posted:

she hosed that ghost, sloved a who dunnit, was the dancing doctor, wesley....hey what happend to wesley's dad?

Picard eventually goes back to his family winery and lives happily ever after.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Railing Kill posted:

What, say, three words describe him apart from the other captains?

Arrogant nepotism failson?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Railing Kill posted:

What, say, three words describe him apart from the other captains?

Porthos & Water Polo.

So maybe this is all just retconned in my mind and not really reflected in the source material, but... I kind of like Archer as a captain. The other Enterprise captains we've seen, Kirk and Picard, were both the "right" captains for their era. TOS era needed a cowboy. TNG era needed a thoughtful and studious diplomat. And you can say that, in-universe, those captains got command of the flagship because Starfleet knew what kind of captain they needed for the time they were in. As Starfleet prepares to send out its first true "starship" out into the galaxy, they don't have any idea what kind of captain they need. So maybe Archer was the best choice that Starfleet could have made, given they had basically no idea what skills they needed. And likewise, Archer had no idea what a "Starfleet Starship Captain" should do, so he's always kinda... confused. It's fun to see him try and figure that out on the fly, and start to lay out the mold for what a Starfleet captain should be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I feel like, as Captain, I should always beam down with my phaser drawn."

"As Captain, you shouldn't be beaming down at all."

"Ahahaha. Ha. No, I'm beaming the gently caress down."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FISHMANPET posted:

Porthos & Water Polo.

So maybe this is all just retconned in my mind and not really reflected in the source material, but... I kind of like Archer as a captain. The other Enterprise captains we've seen, Kirk and Picard, were both the "right" captains for their era. TOS era needed a cowboy. TNG era needed a thoughtful and studious diplomat. And you can say that, in-universe, those captains got command of the flagship because Starfleet knew what kind of captain they needed for the time they were in. As Starfleet prepares to send out its first true "starship" out into the galaxy, they don't have any idea what kind of captain they need. So maybe Archer was the best choice that Starfleet could have made, given they had basically no idea what skills they needed. And likewise, Archer had no idea what a "Starfleet Starship Captain" should do, so he's always kinda... confused. It's fun to see him try and figure that out on the fly, and start to lay out the mold for what a Starfleet captain should be.
No, Archer just sucks

I’m currently rewatching Enterprise and in the first season he’s a dick for at least half of the episodes

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Archer dealing with T'pol acts like my seven-year-old when I make him practice his handwriting. "No! Why should I? I don't have to follow your rules!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The nx Enterprise is like the outback steakhouse. No rules, just right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s usually a dick to her and other Vulcans during the first half or so of Season 1

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if they had any plans, I suspect no, but I always thought Archer being a dumb rear end in a top hat at first and slowly growing into his role was a fine way to do things. In the other shows the captain starts out already great at their job. United Earth is starting out at the beginning, Archer reflects that. Archer and T'Pol's conflicts and then friendship reflecting the tension between Earth and Vulcan. I'm probably reading all of that in to where it was never intended but I think it would have worked if it were done better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ups_rail posted:

Remember she briefly left the enterprise, maybe she was doing section 31 poo poo.

get out

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s usually a dick to her and other Vulcans during the first half or so of Season 1

Which is convenient because all of the Vulcans are dicks too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sash! posted:

I really liked that choice. Makes total sense that after getting to know humans for a bit the Vulcan attitude would be "christ, these fuckin' guys". They have some of that attitude in the later periods too, just tempered by the length of time, the benefits of the Federation, learning the positives of humanity along with the downsides.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sash! posted:

They were proper assholes, even to the degree of trying to cheat humanity out of its Warp-5 engine. Or at least postpone the mission for several decades or so.

But funnily enough they were correct on the part that Archer was the wrong choice, and Enterprise should not have gone out when it did.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

"Assholes, but correct about it" is a pretty good description of them in those days. I was going to say "correct, but assholes about it," but the former fits better.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Payndz posted:

Archer dealing with T'pol acts like my seven-year-old when I make him practice his handwriting. "No! Why should I? I don't have to follow your rules!"

To expend time and effort practicing an obsolete skill is not logical. :colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if they had any plans, I suspect no, but I always thought Archer being a dumb rear end in a top hat at first and slowly growing into his role was a fine way to do things. In the other shows the captain starts out already great at their job. United Earth is starting out at the beginning, Archer reflects that. Archer and T'Pol's conflicts and then friendship reflecting the tension between Earth and Vulcan. I'm probably reading all of that in to where it was never intended but I think it would have worked if it were done better.

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at. As always there's a difference between a "well-executed character" and "a character the audience likes". Now, In reality, Archer was neither, but there was potential for the guy that's just in over his head and messes up and slowly grows into the role.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at. As always there's a difference between a "well-executed character" and "a character the audience likes". Now, In reality, Archer was neither, but there was potential for the guy that's just in over his head and messes up and slowly grows into the role.
Boimler should have captained the NX-01.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Boimler should have captained the NX-01.

Congratulations, you've just erased the Federation from history. Are you happy now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/gates_mcfadden/status/1613613965644550144

Hmmm

Yeah ok not too bad

Uhhh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing someone try to deep fake present Wil Wheaton into that episode in the place of... that poor dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah except wesley was supposed to be real happy about the change

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

captain crusher wishes she aged as well as the real thing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It is kinda funny how hosed up everyone looked in their old age makeup compared to how much better they look now as actual olds.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing someone try to deep fake present Wil Wheaton into that episode in the place of... that poor dude.

I sort of enjoy the part where they didn't even make an effort to try to find someone that vaguely resembles the sort of look that Wesley could possibly grow up into. He was a teenager for crying out loud. Yeah you look different as an adult but not "I grew three feet and now have a Batman chin for some reason."

poo poo his hair doesn't even part on the same side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Can we loving not? This is as tiresome as the "lol Keiko's such a bitch" stuff that pops up every now and again.