Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Tony buying WWE is funny but I don't know if it's Saudi funny

I think it would be funnier because the Vincels would be very upset and scream that wrestling is dying whereas with Saudi Arabia they’ll just quickly convince themselves that it’s good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think it would be funnier because the Vincels would be very upset and scream that wrestling is dying whereas with Saudi Arabia they’ll just quickly convince themselves that it’s good
Yeah, the Saudis buying WWE isn't really funny, and will just lead to lots Mel Mudkiper-style posing on Twitter about it. Tony buying WWE would absolutely set them off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Tony buy WWE and give Raw to Jeff Jarrett to do whatever he wants with it. I'm totally fine with the Last Outlaw getting a 4 year run with the top belt if it's on a show I'm never watching

Tony buying WWE and putting Cody in charge would be the funniest ending and would deserve its own movie.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Tony buys WWE, makes Eddie Kingston head booker

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Eddie gets Smackdown when Cody gets Raw so he once again doesn't win the big one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loser Hunter keeps losing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The good thing is TK is the correct age and intensity of mark that he would absolutely be compelled to do a higher power robe reveal on Raw lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
WWE is #ALLELITE

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Tony buying WWE and putting Jeff Jarrett in charge would be the funniest option.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
TK buying WWE and putting Jay Lethal as Black Machismo on commentary because he's too old to be a wrestler

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tony Khan buying WWE and putting negative one in charge just to see if a literal child can book a better show than an insane old man

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Tony buys WWE, makes Eddie Kingston head booker

Just an endless parade of badly trained football and rugby players pummeling each other to the grave trying to do King's Road tribute matches.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should sell 'wrestling' to the khans for 2 billion, including all libraries and moves and all that stuff, and then sell WWE to saudi arabia for 4 billion

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I am not mentally ready to handle 'Khans buy WWE' discussions.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I am not mentally ready to handle 'Khans buy WWE' discussions.

WCW fans have been waiting 22 years for this

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If the khan bought wwe I don't see them doing a wcw and folding all talent into their own show. I'd imagine they'd keep running the wwe shows right

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are millions of WCW fans who just stopped watching wrestling entirely when the company got bought, they’ve just been waiting for the evil Vince McMahon to be deposed

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Shard posted:

If the khan bought wwe I don't see them doing a wcw and folding all talent into their own show. I'd imagine they'd keep running the wwe shows right

likely yeah, the wwe brand itself is (somehow) too valuable to just dissolve

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I need Jeff Jarrett to cut the G double O double N double E promo on Vince

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

keithy george posted:

I need Jeff Jarrett to cut the G double O double N double E promo on Vince

Lord, I don't ask for much...:pray:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Be real cool if you'd post a link

From the Barron's article https://www.barrons.com/articles/wwe-sale-vince-mcmahon-merger-51673552324?mod=hp_LATEST

quote:

There are at least three companies are generally seen as in a position to buy. Barron’s has confirmed that another is interested.

All Elite Wrestling—a rival to WWE led by Tony Khan and family—is in the pool of potential buyers for WWE, a person close to the potential transaction told Barron’s, adding that the Khans will likely look for a financial partner to acquire the asset. Tony Khan’s father Shahid Khan, a co-owner of AEW, already owns the football team Jacksonville Jaguars and the English soccer club Fulham Football Club, indicating the duo have deep pockets.

An offer from the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, which backs the golf league LIV, is more likely, though, given that WWE has a prior relationship with the kingdom. In 2018, WWE signed a 10-year contract with Saudi Arabia’s General Sport Authority to hold wrestling competitions. The GSA paid about $50 million per event, according to the trade magazine Wrestlenomics, in a deal that was signed despite backlash from the fans over the kingdom’s human-rights record.

WWE’s stock rose 3.4% after markets opened Wednesday on a report that a deal had been reached with the Saudis. The stock gave up that gain, closing 0.8% lower, as doubts mounted that an agreement had been made. WWE and the Public Investment Fund didn’t immediately respond to questions from Barron’s.

Comcast (CMCSA) stands as another feasible acquirer. WWE has an exclusive streaming deal with NBCUniversal’s Peacock, which is owned by Comcast . The company didn’t respond to Barron’s questions, although CEO Brian Roberts said in October that given high interest rates, “the bar is the highest it’s been in terms of M&A.”

Another potential buyer could be Endeavor (EDR), which owns a similar business called Ultimate Fighting Championship—a mixed martial arts league it fully acquired in 2021. On a November call to discuss Endeavor EDR +2.02% ‘s third-quarter earnings, CEO Ariel Emanuel said premium sports and entertainment content is undeniably the most powerful tool for acquiring customers and that the company was “looking at the marketplace” for deals.

TL;DR Saudi's most likely, but other interested parties are Comcast, Endeavor, and the Khans if they can find a partner

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gavok posted:

Tony buying WWE and putting Cody in charge would be the funniest ending and would deserve its own movie.

This would be the best option for maximum serendipity

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

BGrifter posted:

Tony please buy WWE, shut them down and bring back WCW.

okay, this would be the actual funniest outcome

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Tony buying WWE and putting Jeff Jarrett in charge would be the funniest option.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=166910

quote:

William Regal's new position requires him to be at all Raw and Smackdown tapings going forward it appears. He was at a number of the recent TV tapings. He was not at WWE NXT this past Tuesday in Orlando.

Gonna be hard for him to spend time with his son if he’s on the road that much unless they call his son up to the main roster

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=166910

Gonna be hard for him to spend time with his son if he’s on the road that much unless they call his son up to the main roster

Almost like it was a complete bullshit story he used to manipulate TK with so he could accept a much more lucrative WWE offer

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think both sides knew it was a bullshit excuse but Regal needed to be gotten the hell out of there because he's a fox in the henhouse.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
where is this 'regal was secretly evil' train of discussion coming from

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

flatluigi posted:

Did you even hear the way he talked to Excalibur on commentary?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
If Tony buys WWE get rid of the god awful AR.

....except get Danhausen a cgi blimp entrance.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Pylons posted:

I think both sides knew it was a bullshit excuse but Regal needed to be gotten the hell out of there because he's a fox in the henhouse.

Can you imagine being Regal, having to worry about whether Vince is going to fire him here before long, or if Tony's going to buy WWE and fire him six months down the road from now :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 12, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think it's absolutely just as likely that it was his real reasoning, WWE told him he would work primarily NXT with his son, and the second the contract was signed they told him to get ready for Smackdown.

Or that news story is fake. All 3 seem equally likely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gavok posted:

Its going to happen

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

flatluigi posted:

He left aew for wwe

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I like Regal but if he lied that’s a crummy thing to lie about. Very uncouth

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Did you even hear the way he talked to Excalibur on commentary?

TAZ: da mans a walking hr violation schiavone

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gavok posted:

This, but as head booker Cody isn't allowed to win the WWE Title

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

flatluigi posted:

Wrestlegoons being daft & seeing everything in black & white as per.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Pylons posted:

Absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Cody is related to the unpainted side of Dustin

This made me laugh really hard :golfclap:

And if the Khans buy WWE, TK has to cut the Ric Flair "the consortium WAS ME!" promo in his high-pitched excited puppy voice.