Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

frankly hosed up the game call engaged doesn't have s-ranks

I'm glad for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

batallions' primary balancing mechanism seemed to be desperately underexplaining them in the hopes the player wouldnt realize just how insane the stat boosts and gambits were, so in that regard engages seem much better designed

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's a shame because I actually quite liked battalions. Having some crowd control potential opened up strategies and ime synergized well with 3H encouraging more player phase play in general. It's certainly true that the implementation was a fiddly nightmare of sub menus though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

batallions' primary balancing mechanism seemed to be desperately underexplaining them in the hopes the player wouldnt realize just how insane the stat boosts and gambits were

It worked on me. Those things seemed dumb and I ignored them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Male Alear, I usually play female characters in games that allow it but the multicoloured hair is so atrocious I want to reduce it to a minimum.

Also I'm secretly hoping we still get ending slides of sorts, and I want to smooch Citrinne, so playing as a male character maximizes my chances.

EDIT: you can apparently go to sleep on the Somniel and get waken up by allies.

https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1613447554490052612?t=EOZgIxLvyM2y5yYSJkVZQQ&s=34

oh god that hair. yeah its gotta be male Alear here lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

It's a shame because I actually quite liked battalions. Having some crowd control potential opened up strategies and ime synergized well with 3H encouraging more player phase play in general. It's certainly true that the implementation was a fiddly nightmare of sub menus though.

I liked the idea of battalions a lot. Even just thematically I liked them--in a story about war it made more sense to me that each of my units was actually multiple soldiers, with the named character serving as the leader and vanguard. (Of course the actual story battles often didn't support this, like who brings hundreds of soldiers into a cramped basement, but whatever, every FE game has a few weird moments like that.)

It feels like a system that'd be worth revisiting somewhere along the line to try to implement in a more satisfying way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how it ended up in the final game definitely feels like a bit of a shambles. the initial trailers showed things like changing formations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciate them trying out new mechanics to tie in with their stories, like Awakening being all about bonds and friendship and all that jazz so it got Pair-Up, and Three Houses was about the bigness of war and the lives of the people participating so it got Battalions, and now Engage is "what if you had superpowers"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Terper posted:

I better save my Engages, in case I need them later in the map : )

If you don’t engage right away you’re wasting all those potential engage meter refills

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I appreciate them trying out new mechanics to tie in with their stories, like Awakening being all about bonds and friendship and all that jazz so it got Pair-Up, and Three Houses was about the bigness of war and the lives of the people participating so it got Battalions, and now Engage is "what if you had superpowers"
idk if it was intentional but birthright/conquest's gameplay favoring attack stance or guard stance respectively was kinda neat for the duality thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked Fates pair up. Having it be a useful tool but with drawbacks and an actual strong reason not to be paired up made it a much, much more interesting mechanic.

Similarly I think I would've liked battalions more if there was a strong reason for some units not to use one. They tried with a handful of personal skills but they always paled in comparison to the benefits a battalion could give you.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

I liked the idea of battalions a lot. Even just thematically I liked them--in a story about war it made more sense to me that each of my units was actually multiple soldiers, with the named character serving as the leader and vanguard. (Of course the actual story battles often didn't support this, like who brings hundreds of soldiers into a cramped basement, but whatever, every FE game has a few weird moments like that.)

It feels like a system that'd be worth revisiting somewhere along the line to try to implement in a more satisfying way.

I feel like quite a lot of complexity could be removed from the battalion system- they shouldn't need to level up, they shouldn't be another area of inventory management, limited durability was fine but just refill them after battle, and frankly there are way, way too many, and you shouldn't be accumulating 12 e rank bandits or kingdom youths or what have you that you need to go individually dismiss.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I primarily like them for their strategic map control purposes so I also wouldn't mind nerfing them by having gambits do a lot less initial damage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 'flying units needs their own flying batallions' thing like, made sense, but was also really annoying because it basically demanded all flying units also level authority

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zoran posted:

If you don’t engage right away you’re wasting all those potential engage meter refills

But if I never engage I won't need those refills anyway!

(i was being facetious lol)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

also the 'flying units needs their own flying batallions' thing like, made sense, but was also really annoying because it basically demanded all flying units also level authority

Yes!
Actually I wouldn't mind at all not letting fliers have battalions, providing an actual tradeoff for the immense power of being a flier in 3H

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I am sad I can't put Boucheron on a pegasus for the same reason why I was sad that Three Houses/Three Hopes didn't let me teach Hilda to punch people to death.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm also a little bothered by the new class system we seem to have with a wide variety of reclassing but then half the characters have their own special bespoke class anyways? It seems like such a bizarre compromise between set classes and reclassing and continues on some of the more annoying parts of 3 Houses in a bad way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There should be 0 reclassing frankly.

But at least I should be able to ignore it easily, so a better system than 3H.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I just don't like that levels reset when you reclass. That combined with the availability of grinding seems like it just leads to some pretty unfortunate feedback loops.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
3 Houses was definitely worse but I was hoping we'd get a return to more set classes here. Not the incredibly fiddly nonsense classes seem to be what with everyone being able to grab a variety of weapons on every class only if you're shuffling around Engages to get them proficiency while other people get to ignore that dumb system and just be a cool flying mage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's just variations on existing classes. Like Goldmarie is a Hero, just one with Lance's as a side weapon instead of Axes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was probably to much to hope for S ranks and reclassing to be destroyed in this game. But if previews are to be trusted S ranks at least are dead and buried. So hopefully then next game can remove reclassing and the gamer after can remove player avatars.

And then Fire Emblem will be perfect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was probably to much to hope for S ranks and reclassing to be destroyed in this game. But if previews are to be trusted S ranks at least are dead and buried. So hopefully then next game can remove reclassing and the gamer after can remove player avatars.

I mean the game has functionally removed player avatars with Byleth (and from the previews it sounds like Alear is following in that tradition). There is absolutely nothing customizable or reflective of the player about either of them, functionally they're equivalent to an old school FE protag if they had a gender option and like 2 more choices to make per game.

Can you even rename Alear?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alas as long as tea time is done in first person then they will still be player avatars to me.

Just less of one than Byleth

E: You're right though. Hopefully with the removal of S ranks and silent protags the issues with player avatars will no longer exist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

*back in my day*

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zore posted:

I mean the game has functionally removed player avatars with Byleth (and from the previews it sounds like Alear is following in that tradition). There is absolutely nothing customizable or reflective of the player about either of them, functionally they're equivalent to an old school FE protag if they had a gender option and like 2 more choices to make per game.

If Byleth wasn't intended to be a player avatar they would be voiced and have dialogue that isn't player chosen. The game will straight up give you dialogue 'choices' with one option if they want Byleth to say something. They're intended to be a player avatar, they just didn't allow you to customize them because they are in pre-rendered cutscenes and they didn't want to do the Fates thing of having them be in first person.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, you can rename Alear.

I actually kinda like player avatars as a concept, but in practice I think I've disliked more of them than I've liked. I know it's too much to ask for to hope that they'll dial down the player's extreme specialness at some point, but I'd at least like them to stop dialing it up. We went from a faceless tactician (not even a my unit, just a way for the characters to talk to the player in-universe), to just some soldier who's Marth's sidekick, to a dorky tactician who's more important than they first appeared, to dragon royalty, to a mercenary who turns out to be dragon Jesus, and now we're just dragon Jesus from the start.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zore posted:

Yes, you can rename Alear.

Which I think is stupid because it means characters can never address them by name in voiced lines and they have to come up with annoying gimmick ways to refer to them like "Divine One" or "Professor" or the like, and all the dialogue will be stilted and terrible. I hate it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

3 Houses was definitely worse but I was hoping we'd get a return to more set classes here. Not the incredibly fiddly nonsense classes seem to be what with everyone being able to grab a variety of weapons on every class only if you're shuffling around Engages to get them proficiency while other people get to ignore that dumb system and just be a cool flying mage.
it doesnt really seem that fiddly tbh.

for starters, you only need bond level like 5-10 to get the engage's weapon prfs. you can level up bond level with bond points. from what ive seen it takes like a couple hundred bond points per level, so a couple thousand to get the weapon prf bond levels.

even in the preview footage that ends at chapter 8 the players have thousands of bond points.

it seems very easy to just pick a class you want someone to be in and then forget about it.

and also you cant 'grab a variety of weapons on every class,' classes have set weapons, there's just sword/lance and sword/axe heroes or whatever. you only need a couple weapon profiencies. if you just want to play the game with set classes, you can. even in a min/maxing sense, with the more limited skill slots and the open skill slots mostly being for engage skills, it doesn't seem like fates style class trees to get an optimal setup is at all a thing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 13, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also honestly in terms of player worship type stuff i prefer alear to robin. at least alear has an in-universe reason for everyone to react to them the way they do instead of 'oh my god robin, your brilliant strategy of 'have frederick solo lunatic+' blew my mind, have my babies'

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alear being renamable is the worst poo poo, because Divine One is way worse.

People complained about Denem being a static name for Tactics Reborn, but that would've been so much worse alternatively for the voiced lines, and you can have your cake and rename him anyway after beating it once.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The removal of S ranks stings the most for me, I really like the romance and shipping stuff and S ranks just like...make that easier and secure you getting that ship? I don't see why they're wrong if they aren't restricted to straight romances for the purposes of babies. It also stops the weirdness of suddenly getting 4 a ranks and 3 of them are romantic for whatever reason.

On player avatars in general, I would be fine if they had a set name and you just choose their gender. It's the picking a gender that matters as I like to have a girl character who represents me in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three houses kinda handled it weirdly but in an ideal world the no s-ranks thing allows for things like non-romantic paired endings, or paired endings with more ambiguity/complexity than 'they got married and lived happily ever after.' the s-rank pairing system creates a sort of 'endstate' for supports that both makes the supports that don't have s-ranks feel less important limits what you can do with the paired endings.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I like player avatars in the sense that it's fun to customize growths and alternative classes, especially in Fates where that allowed fun shenanigans via marriage/inheritance, but I vastly prefer having set characterization and names over awkward voiced lines and relatively generic character arcs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

three houses kinda handled it weirdly but in an ideal world the no s-ranks thing allows for things like non-romantic paired endings, or paired endings with more ambiguity/complexity than 'they got married and lived happily ever after.' the s-rank pairing system creates a sort of 'endstate' for supports that both makes the supports that don't have s-ranks feel less important limits what you can do with the paired endings.

Three Houses was a nightmare because of how it determined who had paired endings. And that's what I'd worry about in a game with only A ranks. Even if the S rank wasn't a support at all but just you saying I want their paired ending, that'd be enough for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would definitely prefer to have a set name. Ever since FFX I've been firmly on the side of "I'd rather not be able to name my character than have to have all the voiced dialogue talk around their name."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I could be weird but I actually prefer not getting to manually choose all the pairings. It made sense in Awakening and Fates because it was a gameplay element, determining how child units would start out, but when it isn't a gameplay thing I think it's more fun to just play the game and see what happens, who gets what ending with who. It's more interesting to me if the characters who aren't my player avatar are their own people and I don't get to 100% control everything about them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd take more work but ive seen a couple of games where if you stick with the default name that name gets VA'd and if you change it you get the generic title/the game cutting around it. seems like the ideal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Also I could be weird but I actually prefer not getting to manually choose all the pairings. It made sense in Awakening and Fates because it was a gameplay element, determining how child units would start out, but when it isn't a gameplay thing I think it's more fun to just play the game and see what happens, who gets what ending with who. It's more interesting to me if the characters who aren't my player avatar are their own people and I don't get to 100% control everything about them.

I get wanting to be able to solidify pairings, but on my first run of 3H I got the endings for Raphael/Shamir and Claude/Flayn, and I'd be lying if I didn't find how random those were charming in their own right.