Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1613525749868134400

They hiked the price on Fubo, which was already insane, because they are generously including a new channel that would allow me to also watch Rangers games! I cannot refuse this channel nor the price hike so we are cancelling that and will be watching illicit streams I guess next season but listen to me MLB: I am happy to pay you money for a service that allows me to watch the baseball games of the team of my choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I remember saying the same thing about Rougned Odor.

I guess, and things do go bad. But like... it feels like a silly thing to be complaining about our backup middle infielder when there's theoretically 2 or 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would cutting/trading IKF really have improved the situation in any way?

IKF was a stop gap to get to Peraza/Volpe. Rojas is a stop gap to lower the luxury tax, I guess. I admit I'm not super versed on Dodgers' middle infielder depth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I guess, and things do go bad. But like... it feels like a silly thing to be complaining about our backup middle infielder when there's theoretically 2 or 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would cutting/trading IKF really have improved the situation in any way?

Oh, I'm not that worked up about it, especially if Volpe/Peraza do end up playing as much as the projections say. It's just that as another team that passed on the high-end FA SS options, it's hard for me to be too mean to the Dodgers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I'm not that worked up about it, especially if Volpe/Peraza do end up playing as much as the projections say. It's just that as another team that passed on the high-end FA SS options, it's hard for me to be too mean to the Dodgers.

I want to say that if Volpe and/or Peraza don't end up being good and they have passed on basically every good SS in the majors because they prospect hugged them people should get fired but no one gets fired over there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

It is kind of amusing that they're scared of paying a Repeater Penalty given that the team is owned by at least two multi-billionaires.
it is just a dumb as every other team that cries poverty

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I remember saying the same thing about Rougned Odor.

EDIT: Also I guess the Rojas trade is more confusing because it seems like Amaya is the same dude, just a decade younger? Figured they would just run him out there and see what's up if they really wanted a non-Lux SS (which I do definitely understand.)
for a real laugh check out the zips projections for Amaya and Rojas this year

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do look forward to IKF starting a series against a rival in June and all of Yankee twitter exploding into "THEY SHOULD HAVE SIGNED CORREA!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they shoulda

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I do look forward to IKF starting a series against a rival in June and all of Yankee twitter exploding into "THEY SHOULD HAVE SIGNED CORREA!"

They are going to start Hicks and Donaldson every day so those 2 dogshit players will distract everyone from how dogshit the SS is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thevandalorian/status/1613569843063562240

Meet your 2026 RoY

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

They hiked the price on Fubo, which was already insane, because they are generously including a new channel that would allow me to also watch Rangers games! I cannot refuse this channel nor the price hike so we are cancelling that and will be watching illicit streams I guess next season but listen to me MLB: I am happy to pay you money for a service that allows me to watch the baseball games of the team of my choosing.

This poo poo makes me crazy. At this point, I am actively avoiding giving Sinclair money. I would absolutely just pay MLB for a local streaming package, but the last year plus of no RSN hasn't been all that bad. I've taken to just watching the extended 10 minute YouTube highlight clip of the Stars and Mavericks and doing something else for the other two and a half hours. Guess I'll just go back to watching the condensed games when MLB starts back up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/AH_Pod/status/1613247956240457749

Wow

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Maybe but also the clips are balls hit near the line by right-handed batters. Of course Castellanos is going to have to run to his left to get them.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1613612131081138176

:bravo:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

live with fruit posted:

Maybe but also the clips are balls hit near the line by right-handed batters. Of course Castellanos is going to have to run to his left to get them.

OR this is the beginning of the Nick Castellanos era of gold glove wins

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I remember back in the 80s when I was admired for my athletic build.

Unfortunately, I was not very good at baseball.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I remember being like "I thought this guy was supposed to suck" when he robbed us like twice in the series

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

It’s so simple but still very cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JessicaCamerato/status/1613615303803473931

Lol come watch the worst two teams in the league in the world's worst hat.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Remember when he pretty much said "I don't usually pay attention out there and when I started paying attention I started getting good :shrug:"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1613634438633558023

Bryan Reynolds had the same WAR as Andrew Benintendi last year. I would not trade 2 top 50 prospects for him.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
well Reynold's isn't Soto level so you can't offer up Gleyber Torres, so what are you going to do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Bryan Reynolds had the same WAR as Andrew Benintendi last year. I would not trade 2 top 50 prospects for him.

Lol those are your two SS prospects too right

*3 pages of Yankees fans lamenting their shortstop situation* "Pirates seek all of NYY shortstops for marginal all star outfielder" Also don't they have like the #1 shortstop prospect in the NL? Is the league just not going to let a 6'7'' dude play short

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 12, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

I like the part where it says regional sports networks are crumbling.
As if nobody figured out that sports networks dependent on Monopoly money-level subscriber fees wouldn't crash and burn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

well Reynold's isn't Soto level so you can't offer up Gleyber Torres, so what are you going to do

My proposed offer for Soto included 2 of those 3 top fifty prospects as well as Torres.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Lol those are your two SS prospects too right

*3 pages of Yankees fans lamenting their shortstop situation* "Pirates seek all of NYY shortstops for marginal all star outfielder" Also don't they have like the #1 shortstop prospect in the NL? Is the league just not going to let a 6'7'' dude play short

"You can never have enough left-side infielders."
Theo Epstein
-AJ Preller

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If that's the level of package the Pirates are looking for the Mariners might actually have a shot at him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BTW. I hate Gleyber Torres as a player but he and Bryan Reynolds had virtually the same WAR last year lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
2.9 = 4.1

Yeah pretty much the same.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

2.9 = 4.1

Yeah pretty much the same.

I was looking at Fangraphs. 2.7 vs 2.9.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What is Fangraphs major difference in WAR from bref?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The idea of getting 2 legit top 50 prospects for any player right now other than someone like Soto is pretty nuts to me.
I'm not saying that shouldn't be the case. Just seems like teams are hugging prospects real hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

THe only think I know is that they use FIP instead of ERA but I don't think either Gleyber or Reyolds had too many IP

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you believe in reading the tea leaves of media play every Yankee statement has been “the Pirates want a lot for Reynolds and the Yankees aren’t cleaning out the farm for him”. Maybe that’s a negotiation tactic to try and lower the price and I’m sure if the price does get lowered after Reynolds turned down an extension then the Yankees will be talking. But all signs right now seem to suggest they’re looking for LF to be a spring training competition from Hicks, Florial, and whoever else they have in camp with Cabrera as the default choice if no one shows out.

I assume Pitt will hold form with Reynolds to see if they can get something big at the deadline. But who knows?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

THe only think I know is that they use FIP instead of ERA but I don't think either Gleyber or Reyolds had too many IP
There's a big difference in the defensive component too iirc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There's a big difference in the defensive component too iirc

Oh right fWAR is UZR I think and bWAR is DRS I think.

I'm surprise MLB hasn't standardized the WAR formula but I guess what's the point if you got people doing it for you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Dominguez looked horrible in fall ball - he's a good candidate to sell high on IMO.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

mcmagic posted:

“just add up the WAR”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you think Benintendi and Reynolds are of comparable value you are functionally illiterate. Please learn to look beyond WAR as a be-all-end-all and consider the components of it and the discrepancies between the different models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

What I've heard is that bref values defense more than Fangraphs in their WAR formula.