Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

What I've heard is that bref values defense more than Fangraphs in their WAR formula.

That would make sense as Torres/Reynolds aren't that far apart offensively (Reynolds has 12 OPS+ over Torres) but Torres is 1.2 bWAR ahead of Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They also use different defensive metrics for their respective WAR calcs, neither of which are the statcast-based OAA you can get on Baseball Savant. And then on the pitching side they are very different, with FG based on FIP and BR based on RA with some significant adjustments for defense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya DWAR outside of statcast seems made up nonsense and I'm not sure why neither uses it aside from trying to be smarter than the room which well ya.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

well statcast wasn't available when bWAR and fWAR were developed but yeah they ought to update with it now that they can, but maybe it has something to do with trying to apply somewhat consistent methods to historical players as well

then again, you're never going to have reliable defensive metrics for a guy that played in the 1930's so maybe just get the current players right if you can?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1613652312987246614

The tl;dr from the article is that the main hangup to selling the Nats is that their broadcasting rights are owned by an RSN the Orioles and Nats have a joint stake in, and there's an outstanding lawsuit over the Nats potentially being owed hundreds of millions of dollars. There's also no idea what the broadcasting revenue will look like going forward either and any potential buyers want it all cleared up before they agree to buy. Also not helping the situation is that thanks to the Nats fetish for deferred money they currently have ~$250M of debt on the books locked up in deferred salaries. :allears:

Looking like a sale might just not be possible right now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya DWAR outside of statcast seems made up nonsense and I'm not sure why neither uses it aside from trying to be smarter than the room which well ya.
Overarching defensive metrics in any sport are extremely nebulous and it seems like they all have to be tweaked every year, and to be honest I wonder if we're all just better off ignoring them except in Jeter-esque cases of "That guy makes cool-looking jump throws but actually HOLY gently caress he's awful at defense now that I look at it".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

Dominguez looked horrible in fall ball - he's a good candidate to sell high on IMO.

I think it's fine to trade just him for Reynolds but him along with one of the SSs is too much.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Maybe but also the clips are balls hit near the line by right-handed batters. Of course Castellanos is going to have to run to his left to get them.

yeah he had 7 chances in the entire WS, it's really not possible to say that he's suddenly a great fielder based on that kind of sample size

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't think anyone was saying that, it was just a neat little blurb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm personally in the camp of 'Jasson is very overrated as a prospect', but judging a guy on a month in the Fall League is not a good idea for any prospect.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The real reason Correa re-signed

https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1613570907272019974

He needs to get revenge next year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

The real reason Correa re-signed

https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1613570907272019974

He needs to get revenge next year

Is that Tommy Pham's music?!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Improbably Buxton's team managed to stay healthy all season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1613702070166761478

https://i.imgur.com/qoosCUy.mp4

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gently caress too robot umps

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

We live in a complete hell world. We get robot umps but they don't look or talk like Johnny 5 or Johnny Cab.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Henry Davis (2021 #1 pick of the Pirates) talked about the robo-umps thing on yesterday's Baseball BBQ podcast and said that he thought it was pretty useful, because I guess you are allowed to challenge calls and it also helps the umpires to improve their calls

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sydin posted:

The tl;dr from the article is that the main hangup to selling the Nats is that their broadcasting rights are owned by an RSN the Orioles and Nats have a joint stake in, and there's an outstanding lawsuit over the Nats potentially being owed hundreds of millions of dollars. There's also no idea what the broadcasting revenue will look like going forward either and any potential buyers want it all cleared up before they agree to buy. Also not helping the situation is that thanks to the Nats fetish for deferred money they currently have ~$250M of debt on the books locked up in deferred salaries. :allears:

What a mess. I’d say I’m surprised Selig allowed the Expos to move without settling the broadcasting rights, but creating a big problem through inaction while taking shortsighted credit is certainly his thing.

Stealth edit: I suppose I’m speaking so broadly I just described the entire PMC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Henry Davis (2021 #1 pick of the Pirates) talked about the robo-umps thing on yesterday's Baseball BBQ podcast and said that he thought it was pretty useful, because I guess you are allowed to challenge calls and it also helps the umpires to improve their calls

Half the parks are doing full ABS and half are doing tennis-style challenges. I expect we're going to see a lot of old umps get a lot better at calling balls and strikes real quick. No one's gonna have to earn part of the zone

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

And he doesn't have to worry about framing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh man I loving hate the idea of being able to challenge balls and strikes. Just another thing that's gonna hold the loving game up forever and completely break the flow of big moments. The only way I could see it working reasonably well would be that if the ump makes a blatantly poor call the computer automatically overturns it but even that would lead to moments where the ump rings a guy up in a key AB only for the computer to say no ball four a couple seconds later and everybody in the stadium is confused about what the gently caress just happened.

The only feasible way I see to implement an automatic zone calling system would be to give the homeplate ump an ear piece that tells them ball/strike after a pitch is delivered and the umpire's job is just to deliver the message to the players/fans. No challenges, no ump discretion, if you cry about a call it's an automatic ejection (granted that's more or less the case already.) No fuss no muss. Granted the technology would really have to be there 100% to pull it off and at least from what I heard about the experiments in the independent leagues and lower minors it's not, at least not as of a couple years ago.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Let the umpires call balls and strikes, but if they blow a call, the robot ump razzes them with sad tromobone, YA BLEW IT, etc

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

The Orioles/Nats MASN pissing match is still active? You would think a real comish would find a way to settle this by now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Oh man I loving hate the idea of being able to challenge balls and strikes. Just another thing that's gonna hold the loving game up forever and completely break the flow of big moments. The only way I could see it working reasonably well would be that if the ump makes a blatantly poor call the computer automatically overturns it but even that would lead to moments where the ump rings a guy up in a key AB only for the computer to say no ball four a couple seconds later and everybody in the stadium is confused about what the gently caress just happened.

The only feasible way I see to implement an automatic zone calling system would be to give the homeplate ump an ear piece that tells them ball/strike after a pitch is delivered and the umpire's job is just to deliver the message to the players/fans. No challenges, no ump discretion, if you cry about a call it's an automatic ejection (granted that's more or less the case already.) No fuss no muss. Granted the technology would really have to be there 100% to pull it off and at least from what I heard about the experiments in the independent leagues and lower minors it's not, at least not as of a couple years ago.

Tennis style challenges take like five seconds and are initiated by the players not the managers

e: here's how it was used last year

https://twitter.com/farmtofame_/status/1561197425754267650

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 13, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Challenges for pitches are dumb and you have to add additional metagame poo poo around them like how many do you get etc. Just call it right the first time with the machines. If they aren’t fast enough to do that yet then they aren’t ready yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think if something would improve the game now (getting accurate calls on balls and strikes in basically the time it takes the pitcher to get the ball back from the catcher and ready himself anyway) then we should use it and keep improving it instead of just waiting for it to be perfect

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This sucks and it's going to be unbearable to watch.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anything that prevents umps from influencing the game because their feelings got hurt is cool and good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Angel Hernandez is going to have an enormous meltdown and retire on the field and it'll make everything worth it

I bet he tries to toss anyone who makes a challenge and/or whoever is sending in the review

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Robo umps are bad

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Look, someone still has to sweep home plate

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Can't get a robot to do that, can you

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
i wish they were actually on the field robo umps so we could see someone go David Ortiz on one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Challenging a spot call in tennis is basically instant and they show it on the jumbotron/big screen

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm personally in the camp of 'Jasson is very overrated as a prospect', but judging a guy on a month in the Fall League is not a good idea for any prospect.

I think he's properly rated at this point by people who actually follow prospects, but the hype was so out of hand that too many people know who he is an never saw anything beyond that barrage of initial headlines.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

more falafel please posted:

Look, someone still has to sweep home plate

Get a lil Roomba out there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Then we'll need to invent dust-kicking robots and pretty soon: Judgement Day

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Challenging a spot call in tennis is basically instant and they show it on the jumbotron/big screen

Yeah this seems like a non issue to me. Aren’t teams only going to get a limited number of challenges per game, like 3 total? It’s not like every pitch would be reviewed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the linked video, I can't tell who is initiating the challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/jmackeypg/status/1613906422739222530

Hell yea let's get the band back together