Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mycatscrimes posted:

I've been thinking of it as whether people think of it as a first person game, where they want to project themselves into the world, or a game where they want to experience it more as a story unfolding that they are viewing, rather than being a character in. The series is pretty clearly finding more success using the former strategy, which is fine, but does mean it no longer scratches the same itch if you prefer the latter experience. There probably are turn based strategy games that are a better experience for the latter these days. Don't know which ones are good, though.

See I'm just the kind of person where I experience games the former way in general. Like in FE9 I feel like Ike is meant to be me and on some level it does damage my connection to the game. That's why even if the protagonist is fixed I just prefer playing a girl and the option to make the protagonist a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

See I'm just the kind of person where I experience games the former way in general. Like in FE9 I feel like Ike is meant to be me and on some level it does damage my connection to the game. That's why even if the protagonist is fixed I just prefer playing a girl and the option to make the protagonist a girl.

That makes sense! Just a different way of preferring to experience stories. I'm glad Fire Emblem has dabbled in different styles and ended up with titles that work for both kinds of player.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm in a weird place where I originally was fine with Three Houses Byleth but then I played Hopes and enjoyed the Hopes Byleth characterization enough that I was mad that I missed out on the potential for an entire game of Awkward Killer Robot Byleth trying to interact with people and them reacting to him/her(because Hopes Byleth doesn't get to talk to a lot of people or be around for very long).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Give more Shez

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like one step behind Alear (MC with a defined appearance and name but you can pick your gender) would be fine, satisfy the ladies who don't want to have to play a dude while also still letting you have a defined character arc.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

It's kind of hosed up Male Robin has a better support with Chrom and the funnier Morgan.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

It baffles me to this day that someone made a quick and easy "get both Kanas as whichever Corrin you prefer" patch, but "get both Morgans" is still, last I looked, something you have to break out the editing tools yourself for.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Modders innately understand that the sheer power of having two Morgans might make your DS explode

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Isn't there a bunch of complicated hard coded stuff going on under the hood wrt the way Awakening generates child characters that makes it resistant to modding? I distinctly remember it being a whole thing with the gay hack that getting same sex S ranks to unlock child paralogues was next to impossible for some reason.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blue Labrador posted:

It's kind of hosed up Male Robin has a better support with Chrom and the funnier Morgan.

The later is because the Morgan's are more extreme versions of the Robin of the same gender so the female Morgan is a barely controlled gremlin.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 13, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So is that why Male Morgan is basically ideal good son.txt

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So apparently in Japanese, Zelkov has this "gimmick" of "emphasizing" random words, which makes him sound "more menacing" or "strange", but everyone I've seen talking about this just says it makes him sound like a Jojo character from Part 7.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shiny777 posted:

It baffles me to this day that someone made a quick and easy "get both Kanas as whichever Corrin you prefer" patch, but "get both Morgans" is still, last I looked, something you have to break out the editing tools yourself for.

Persona 5 modding scene has only the Switch version of the game with a working mod to get Violet playable earlier to the point that the PC versions are waiting on it to be finished.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I see a lot of weird mods for P5 but they still won't let me date Ryuji or Yusuke

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

So apparently in Japanese, Zelkov has this "gimmick" of "emphasizing" random words, which makes him sound "more menacing" or "strange", but everyone I've seen talking about this just says it makes him sound like a Jojo character from Part 7.

Sounds badass to me

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Junpei posted:

The game is good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Junpei posted:

What are his opinions on picking up napkins.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

goty

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Fire Emblem: Engage the Bad Dragon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

why the gently caress isn’t Vander wearing his monocle all the time?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

is he really "1051 years old"...?!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Cattail Prophet posted:

Isn't there a bunch of complicated hard coded stuff going on under the hood wrt the way Awakening generates child characters that makes it resistant to modding? I distinctly remember it being a whole thing with the gay hack that getting same sex S ranks to unlock child paralogues was next to impossible for some reason.

Nah, it's Fates that had that issue. Since Fates actually allowed gay pairings for Corrin but specifically set them up to not produce kids, you had to pick between editing the game individually for every same-sex pairing you did to unlock the appropriate paralogues, or using a pre-made patch that pre-unlocked them even before the parents married but couldn't recognize if two kids were siblings who couldn't normally be because IIRC internally a family like Father: Laslow Mother: Saizo for Soleil and Father: Saizo Mother: Laslow for Asugi would read as two entirely different pairings by default for some reason.

Awakening, on the other hand, was never intended to have gay pairings, so it had no restrictions on such pairings coded in beyond just not having same-sex S supports. If modded to let, say, Sumia and Cordelia reach S it just shrugs and merrily generates the appropriate numbers and hair colors for Cynthia and Severa because nothing is telling it it's not supposed to.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Wow, another reason why Awakening is the superior game

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I really need to play Awakening with the gay mod, if only so I can have the superior Chrobin.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My Switch is Engaging

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

i appreciate that folks aren't afraid to tell you that you suck this time around.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Drakenel posted:

i appreciate that folks aren't afraid to tell you that you suck this time around.

Honestly in between Shez and Alear I hope the trend continues for people to tell the protag they ain’t poo poo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

My Switch is Engaging

Hell yeah.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Terper posted:

My Switch is Engaging

Nice tiles, posters of culture.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Oh man, just one more week until new Fire Emblem. Best of all, we can all stop playing, discussing, or ever even thinking about this "Three Houses" nonsense again. :dance:

Imagine staring at a future shinning bright. Our eyes ever forward, smiling at tomorrow's sky, as we forget the mistakes and sins of the past.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three houses was pretty good. i mean the game and map design had some issues but in terms of character writing it was strong and gameplay wise there were some decent ideas. i like combat arts and spell lists even if itd be nice to know what ones chars are gonna get. if i were rating the FE games itd probably be middle of the pack.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I am still a big fan of houses but if this does turn out to be a basic rear end dragon killing plot then it bodes well for thread discourse

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I sometimes like to imagine you're just going around and rounding up Naga's dumbass kids. They all go through a 'im gonna destroy the world' phase.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

I am still a big fan of houses but if this does turn out to be a basic rear end dragon killing plot then it bodes well for thread discourse

predictions for thread discourse:

who you can/cant gay ending with
rosado as a concept
'anime'
alear's hair

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

rosado as a concept
'anime'
alear's hair

-sommie

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Endorph posted:

rosado as a concept
'anime'
alear's hair

also who has the best quotes when you polish their ring.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is loving Jesus legal yet?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Who did you +10 first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Can't wait for the lineage DLC so we can argue which colour pair best with colgate chan to produce a tri-colour.