Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Bruins lost to Seattle, its the first time they've lost at home in regulation this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There is so much sadness in Boudreau's eyes. This franchise is so poo poo it extinguished the spark of joy in that man.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The first coach to defeat the Bruins in regulation at home is Dave Hakstol off the back of a shutout by Martin Jones. What a world.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 years.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

VOTE1 posted:

I’d be really skeptical of trading for anyone on Vancouver and expected in them to produce the same offensively on a team that has any level of defensive responsibility.

They are currently being soundly beaten by Tampa, but I think they came into the game with the same goals for (43 goals difference on GA…).

Kuzmenko got a heap of points on tap ins, part of that is he clearly knows how to get in the right spot for great players to get them great scoring shots, but part of that is being a unknown quantity, he’s already getting less of those unguarded chances. Add in to that a 25% shooting percent and I think he’s a good candidate for regression.

He’s still a good player (also fun and has personality which is rare), but is he a 6 million dollar player? Not sure.

kuzmenko is insanely sick they should pay him max

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The cap is climbing 1 million next year. Kuzmenko+Horvat would cost 13-15 million so there's 10-13? Left to sign 8 guys. And Bear probably takes 2.5 of that. It doesn't help and just pushes those contract hits further out and for what?

I'm not saying it's the right choice but if I was a GM being forced to keep the team competing that's the way I'd go.

Granted I'd also be dishing Kuzmenko at the deadline (and Horvat if he didn't want to sign a sweetheart deal) and anyone else not named Pettersson or Hughes

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If the Canucks had to eat poo poo to move one or two bad contracts to sign a couple guys and get them to contender status it might be worth it but you have to dump in no particular order:

OEL, Myers, Poolman, Garland, Pearson and Boeser and lol good luck. Even if you move two you're still cap hosed by bad players, you're not fixing anything.

My secret theory about the Canucks that I cannot prove whatsoever is that the team came into camp underconditioned due to a lack of offseason structure and training. There is no one on the team right now who has the leadership of a Sedin or a Thornton as well as the conditioning and two-way consistency to properly call other guys out or provide the leadership to emulate. Miller sucks, everyone knows Horvat is out, and everyone else is too young or playing lovely. That's what it looks like. That said I sincerely believe Poolman, Garland, Pearson and Boeser are salvageable with at least decent years ahead of them.

They need to buy out OEL, literally give away Myers and focus on their young defensive core and get the forwards committed to a two-way game with proper structure (1-3-1 e.g., boring sure but loving structure) in both the off season and in a dedicated training camp that has a benchmark for cardio, and a patient head coach that plays defensively - Travis Green 2.0 someone like Trotz, maybe. Trade Horvat for a pairing and a first - a cheap veteran forward who mentors (like Marleau did on the Leafs, although every aging vet seems to play for them hoping they are due for a cup run), and a classic dependable good stay at home defenceman. I think with the exception of Stillman that the younger players form a defensive core that with good structure and forward support (and a good return for Horvat) could win more with solid goaltending again.

The Canucks of the Gillis era signed team-friendly contracts because they had leadership who did and they knew what they were building. This thing is not a team right now, and it is due to the lack of leadership in management.

Miller is the sore thumb, not OEL. Miller needs a leader. He's a hothead and clearly an issue on ice, I suspect one in the room, as I don't see other players doing what he does consistently. Most hockey players will have moments once or twice a season, but he seems to have a meltdown and highlight every other game. He got paid for being a 1C/2C and he's playing like an unhinged 3rd line winger. He needs leadership and structure.

Who knew I would be judging the Canucks purely by eye test after years of buying into statistical approaches (which I love), but I honestly think this is an eye test problem and there is a way to adjust the team, albeit after this season, to show some promise next year.

I miss the Gillis/Sedin years so much. I don't think the Canucks need to tank fully, they have too much invested for now, and Kuzmenko is honestly perfect for the team; also wingers are worth nothing so a bridge contract might not be the worst thing given the chemistry.

e: added some details

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 13, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What "young defensive core" are you referencing, exactly?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

grack posted:

What "young defensive core" are you referencing, exactly?

1 can be a core, right? Do you need more than 1 D-man? Can't they just run 17 forwards and Hughes?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
I meant Rathbone, Dermott, Bear, Poolman, Burroughs and Schenn off the top of my head. I didn't realize Schenn was 33 and Poolman was 29. My bad, good call.

e: Hughes without saying, he is the core of the team

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh no, my team is bad again and I’m an idiot!!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/risingaction/status/1613733702000852994

Professional organisation right here.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh no, my team is bad again and I’m an idiot!!

I knew the Sabres would crash back to earth as soon as the fans started to get excited and talking about playoffs because God won't let Buffalo have anything nice for some reason. I don't know what you guys did to piss him off.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Bruins lost to Seattle, its the first time they've lost at home in regulation this year

Crazy way to wrap up a 7-0 Canada + Northeast road trip for the Kraken.

Edit: Whoops just doomed them to lose the final game of the road trip as they are actually 7-0 on the month but the first game was at home and there is still 1 more game on this road trip.

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I knew the Sabres would crash back to earth as soon as the fans started to get excited and talking about playoffs because God won't let Buffalo have anything nice for some reason. I don't know what you guys did to piss him off.

Nah, part of the issue is that Eric Comrie came back from injury, but Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen has been playing well enough that it would be lovely to send him to Rochester, so they are playing a stupid game where they are “lending” Jack Quinn to Rochester and sitting J.J. Peterka so they can continue to have three goalies and stay within the player/salary cap constraints. I think they are the only three players who don’t need to be put on waivers to be sent down so they are picking the worst solution and it’s hurting the team. Comrie sucked on Tuesday, obviously he was rusty but he wasn’t good earlier in the season either so they’re kind of in a bind!

Edit: their defense is also weird, they lost Fitzgerald to Florida on waivers which hurts their depth (even though he isn’t very good) but they have three really good defensemen, one who is decent but keeps getting injured (Jokiharju) and two who are continuously bad every night and oh my god why are they still playing them together. Bryson sucks, Lyubushkin sucks and they are dragging the team down. Bryson should be in Rochester wtf are they doing

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 13, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also, I know Colorado is banged up, but things are looking pretty bad for them. Are they going to miss the playoffs? They've got games in hand but they're 4 points out of the last wild card, and 7 points behind Minnesota for the third division spot. If any team is capable of a second half surge it's probably them, just seems pretty bleak right now.

Edit: also they are currently losing to the Blackhawks

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nah, part of the issue is that Eric Comrie came back from injury, but Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen has been playing well enough that it would be lovely to send him to Rochester, so they are playing a stupid game where they are “lending” Jack Quinn to Rochester and sitting J.J. Peterka so they can continue to have three goalies and stay within the player/salary cap constraints. I think they are the only three players who don’t need to be put on waivers to be sent down so they are picking the worst solution and it’s hurting the team. Comrie sucked on Tuesday, obviously he was rusty but he wasn’t good earlier in the season either so they’re kind of in a bind!

Yeah thats big dumb. I feel like goalie is a position where you can generally trust that the guy to get through waivers too (if they even need to clear). Most teams seem to have their guys already.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 EIGHT years.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also, I know Colorado is banged up, but things are looking pretty bad for them. Are they going to miss the playoffs? They've got games in hand but they're 4 points out of the last wild card, and 7 points behind Minnesota for the third division spot. If any team is capable of a second half surge it's probably them, just seems pretty bleak right now.

Yeah thats big dumb. I feel like goalie is a position where you can generally trust that the guy to get through waivers too (if they even need to clear). Most teams seem to have their guys already.

They’re in a tough spot, Comrie was signed to be a starter and they begged Anderson to come back because vibes and leadership and all that. Comrie did a conditioning stint in Rochester last week before coming back to Buffalo but I don’t know how well he would take being put on waivers and sent back there. I think their intention originally was to have Comrie/Anderson this year and Comrie/UPL next year. They could try to do the latter now but they’d have to do something with Anderson to do it now and he’s been their best guy (as long as he only plays once a week because he’s 41). UPL had won his last six starts before tonight and had like a .915 save % in that stretch. He was good tonight but the rest of the team was iffy and they had some bad luck.

This three-game losing streak is frustrating and it would be very bad if it continued. They have all the right pieces to get that WC2 spot in the East but they have to execute and their scoring has dried up a little bit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hes been so good lately its awesome. Slow start to the season but he looks like he’s back and getting better by the game.

Also Fox is right back to Norris status.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Buffalo is tied with Florida. Are behind both Detroit and the Islanders. That's before you even talk about overtaking Washington or Pittsburgh. Where winning every game in hand still leaves the Sabres 2 points short of overtaking the Caps. Buffalo is closer to Montreal as the 2nd worst team in the east than they are to Pittsburgh in the WC2 spot. Better luck next year unless Florida fires Maurice.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're losing so many games they should win, it's infuriating. I just want Landeskog, Nichushkin, Byram, and Manson back healthy, their schedule for the rest of the month has some very winnable games and all the depth guys taking place of the injured players are not doing it right now (nor are some of the big names)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

For all the talk about the Blackhawks, or the Flyers, or the Coyotes, or the Canucks being dogshit garbage the Avalanche are pretty consistently finding ways to lose to those teams. With both Landeskog and Nichushkin out the Power Play is absolutely toothless. They needed to make a trade for some serious forward help like 10 games ago, but the Avs seem weirdly intent on shuttling guys back and forth from the AHL.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

DJExile posted:

https://e.givesmart.com/events/uwf/

The Panthers actually put the Vamos Gatos logos on some shirts, holy poo poo I was not at all expecting that, just for them to sell the warmup-worn jerseys

This owns, bought a shirt. More teams should do stuff like this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

Who am I forgetting of the top 21?

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1613736261080023040

This whole sequence was ridiculous.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The canucks suck loving rear end.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AsInHowe posted:

The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

Denis Potvin? Don't remember offhand if he was picked already but he'd have a solid case.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

Potvin the most overlooked home boy of all time

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Or if they want to get freaky with it Larry Robinson, Trottier or Kurri

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Denis Potvin? Don't remember offhand if he was picked already but he'd have a solid case.

That's it. Thought about him, didn't write him down.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Golden Man posted:

Or if they want to get freaky with it Larry Robinson, Trottier or Kurri

24, 28, 39.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Huggybear posted:

I meant Rathbone, Dermott, Bear, Poolman, Burroughs and Schenn off the top of my head. I didn't realize Schenn was 33 and Poolman was 29. My bad, good call.

e: Hughes without saying, he is the core of the team

Dermott is 26, Bear is 25, and Rathbone isn't going to be a regular any time soon. It's Hughes and nobody else.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur
Potvin?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I guess I should read the thread, didn't realize that quote was a bit up

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 13, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I love this and I want to share it with everyone but no one else in my life knows both “eat hot chip and lie” and Torts

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This three-game losing streak is frustrating and it would be very bad if it continued. They have all the right pieces to get that WC2 spot in the East but they have to execute and their scoring has dried up a little bit.

Do they though? They're a fun team to watch and they have some really solid pieces, but they're not as good as Pittsburgh or Washington as constituted.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That ref in the panthers/knights game ruled, lol. His 3rd replay review report,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm3doULnD7U&t=421s

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
So bobby mcmann had his first nhl goal overturned after a video review, wonder how many other players have had that happen to them

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

maybe he was just making a hand pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 years.

Great news! JT Miller is signed for seven. He's your problem now, no takesies backsies it's your fault for not being specific enough in your wish.