Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

I sort of enjoy the part where they didn't even make an effort to try to find someone that vaguely resembles the sort of look that Wesley could possibly grow up into. He was a teenager for crying out loud. Yeah you look different as an adult but not "I grew three feet and now have a Batman chin for some reason."

poo poo his hair doesn't even part on the same side.

QRiker felt sorry for wes and threw in a few upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

Grand Fromage posted:

It is kinda funny how hosed up everyone looked in their old age makeup compared to how much better they look now as actual olds.

Old Picard in The Inner Light looks like beige taco meat but I guess that was because he was ravaged by the radiation from that hosed up sun.

Sash! posted:

I sort of enjoy the part where they didn't even make an effort to try to find someone that vaguely resembles the sort of look that Wesley could possibly grow up into. He was a teenager for crying out loud. Yeah you look different as an adult but not "I grew three feet and now have a Batman chin for some reason."

poo poo his hair doesn't even part on the same side.

HIS EYES ARE BLUE. This also happens when Kira meets her younger self, baby blues. Screw child labor regulations, put contacts on her!

A Very Sexy Baby fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 13, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Porthos & Water Polo.

Archer was an "Ugly American" as an explorer. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and in our new incarnations Pike and Freeman all have a spark of curiosity and open mindedness to them. Archer is kinda closed minded for what we think of a Federation Captain and if they had done it right they could of handled it as a thing where he becomes full of wonderment and awe but he is kinda stubborn and you're not my real dad to the Vulcan's especially in first two seasons.

Which is a shame because Scott Bakula had so much potential for the role.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You trek thread posters, you’re always gettin mad. That’s what the posters in the wars thread are saying at least

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

Can we loving not? This is as tiresome as the "lol Keiko's such a bitch" stuff that pops up every now and again.

I agree with this post

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Archer was an "Ugly American" as an explorer. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and in our new incarnations Pike and Freeman all have a spark of curiosity and open mindedness to them. Archer is kinda closed minded for what we think of a Federation Captain and if they had done it right they could of handled it as a thing where he becomes full of wonderment and awe but he is kinda stubborn and you're not my real dad to the Vulcan's especially in first two seasons.

The other end of things - being convincing when things get serious - didn't work out either IMO. Bakula gave a good speech, but I never felt he hit his stride on getting his game face on. It's an important thing for a Space Captain, and all the other captains have nailed it. Even George Takei nailed it - "Fly her apart, then!" It's difficult, since you have to determined and enraged and serious and restrained all at the same time.

Maybe just another thing to lay at the feet of bad writing though. It helps to have a great setup and good lines.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've never watched much Enterprise, but it always seemed like they completely wasted Bakula, whom I regard as a good guy and good actor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Can we loving not? This is as tiresome as the "lol Keiko's such a bitch" stuff that pops up every now and again.
loving thank you.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I've been watching Enterprise for the first time over the past week, and am almost done with the first season. And it's...fine? It's not high art, but it's not actively contemptuous of me for watching it (lookin' at you, Picard). Also Jolene Blalock's the loving MVP - T'Pol is by far my favorite character.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never watched much Enterprise, but it always seemed like they completely wasted Bakula, whom I regard as a good guy and good actor.

Baks does his best with the poo poo he's given, but yeah for like 75% of the show he's just wasted on lovely writing. Only rarely, usually in Season 4 for the most part, do they realize that Scott Bakula is a charismatic, likeable dude and write Jonathan Archer appropriately as such instead of a miserable pigheaded rear end in a top hat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've still only ever seen the pilot and one other episode, but even I could smell the network note of "make him more Kirk."

Which is weird, because he's nothing like him. But he is like what Rick Berman and a bunch of suits thinks he was like.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah, and there were even some glimmers of that in Season 4 where he's got PTSD over everything he did in the Delphic Expanse and feels like he lost whatever spirit he had of being an explorer. Sadly the previous 3 seasons don't really bear that out and Season 4 doesn't give the character enough time to develop further.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I've still only ever seen the pilot and one other episode, but even I could smell the network note of "make him more Kirk."

Which is weird, because he's nothing like him. But he is like what Rick Berman and a bunch of suits thinks he was like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yus3e107X3Y

This is from functionally the last scene of the last real episode of Enterprise, and this is probably the person Jonathan Archer should have been the whole drat time, this frontiersman diplomat who's going out into the unknown with the intent to befriend it and build the first layer of what would be a galaxy-altering juggernaut. Rather than some winy, entitled pissant who plays loving water polo, the second douchiest rich white person sport after actual polo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think the Duras family owned a lot of durasteel, or is that a star wars material I can't remember

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do you think the Duras family owned a lot of durasteel, or is that a star wars material I can't remember

Yeah, Durasteel is Star Wars. Star Trek at least tries to use more actual scientastic sounding names like tritanium and transparent aluminum rather than like durasteel and plastisteel and whatever cartoony poo poo Star Wars just makes up to try and come up with an in universe explanation for why everything is made out of plastic and polystyrene and carpentry wood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fighting Trousers posted:

I've been watching Enterprise for the first time over the past week, and am almost done with the first season. And it's...fine? It's not high art, but it's not actively contemptuous of me for watching it (lookin' at you, Picard). Also Jolene Blalock's the loving MVP - T'Pol is by far my favorite character.
I also just finished it and the problem for me is that most of the episodes are boring retreads of other Trek episodes. Plus the Suliban are boring.

I was surprised how often they reference one particular episode throughout the season because I've forgotten a lot of the little details of this show after not watching it since it aired 20+ years ago now. It doesn't really amount to much though.

and yes you are correct that T'Pol is a lot better than I remember and easily the best thing the show had going for it. I think Trip is mostly fine after a few episodes when he calms down a bit. Phlox is good outside of Dear Doctor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also just finished it and the problem for me is that most of the episodes are boring retreads of other Trek episodes. Plus the Suliban are boring.

I was surprised how often they reference one particular episode throughout the season because I've forgotten a lot of the little details of this show after not watching it since it aired 20+ years ago now. It doesn't really amount to much though.

and yes you are correct that T'Pol is a lot better than I remember and easily the best thing the show had going for it. I think Trip is mostly fine after a few episodes when he calms down a bit. Phlox is good outside of Dear Doctor.

I used to think Jolene Blalock wasn't a very good actor, especially as T'Pol but I now know the full context of everything she was struggling against on the set of Enterprise, namely scripts she hated and a lecherous boss she also hated in Rick Berman who degraded her at every turn, so the undercurrent of seething, teeth-gritted frustration that stymies a lot of T'Pol's lines makes SO much more sense now. I haven't rewatched basically anything of Enterprise outside of YouTube clips here and there since it went off the air, but if I did, I think I'd be much more appreciative of her work on it than I once was.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it's rarely good to write off an actor just because of bad performances in one thing, as you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Just look at some of the terrible performances Lucas managed to get at legitimately great actors in the prequel trilogy through terrible scripts/directing.

I've heard from some actor mates this WKYK sketch brings up painful memories for many actors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxH-NTF0SM

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nine-gear crow posted:

I used to think Jolene Blalock wasn't a very good actor, especially as T'Pol but I now know the full context of everything she was struggling against on the set of Enterprise, namely scripts she hated and a lecherous boss she also hated in Rick Berman who degraded her at every turn, so the undercurrent of seething, teeth-gritted frustration that stymies a lot of T'Pol's lines makes SO much more sense now. I haven't rewatched basically anything of Enterprise outside of YouTube clips here and there since it went off the air, but if I did, I think I'd be much more appreciative of her work on it than I once was.

She basically looks like it's taking all her willpower to keep her eyes from rolling out of her head at all times and honestly I'm here for it.

(She deserved so much better than Rick Berman's poo poo. And the terrible jumpsuits. And the awful wig)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Voyager & Enterprise both had the very odd, unfortunate distinction of casting a female actor purely as eye candy but then having her turn out to be the best actor and character on the show despite that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The grim alternate reality of Jeri Ryan being a bad actress...that's probably the offshoot that makes the mirror universe.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
they seriously never knew wtf to do with t'pol's hair, the wigs were only ever nominal for like a brief period in season 2 and then they got all weird again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

External Organs posted:

The grim alternate reality of Jeri Ryan being a bad actress...that's probably the offshoot that makes the mirror universe.

It does result in John McCain being president, so yeah, mirror universe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

External Organs posted:

Jeri Ryan once Tweeted something like "if your parents disowned you because you came out of the closet, I'm your mom now" and I quote tweeted it with "you hear that, world? Seven of Nine is my mom!" And then she liked that tweet, which was very sweet, but made me feel like an rear end in a top hat for reducing her to one role she played two decades ago.

So, yeah. I think my space mom being the nexus point of universes sounds about right.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Fire poisons the sky, trees gone water dry

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arivia posted:

It does result in John McCain being president, so yeah, mirror universe.
This still blows me away all these years later.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://vimeo.com/148174245

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah it's rarely good to write off an actor just because of bad performances in one thing, as you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Just look at some of the terrible performances Lucas managed to get at legitimately great actors in the prequel trilogy through terrible scripts/directing.

I've heard from some actor mates this WKYK sketch brings up painful memories for many actors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxH-NTF0SM

Oh god yeah, the Obi-Wan show was incredibly mid and just "okay", but two of its best moments showcase just how amazing Hayden Christensen could have been as Anakin Skywalker AND Darth Vader if he had a better writer and director to work with than George Lucas, even a mildly more better one in Obi's case.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hayden Christensen was outstanding in Shattered Glass. Dude's not a bad actor. It's just that, as has been said, George Lucas isn't exactly the world's greatest screenwriter and director. Very talented guy in so many areas, brilliant even, but hiring Irvin Kershner to direct TESB (and Lawrence Kasdan to do the screenplay) was the best idea of his entire career. Same for Richard Marquand directing ROTJ.

There are moments in ROTS where you can almost see what could have been, but it was ultimately farted up by Lucas surrounding himself by people absolutely terrified to tell him "No." or "Maybe we do it this way."

Like a sort of nerd Stalin.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Durasteel is Star Wars. Star Trek at least tries to use more actual scientastic sounding names like tritanium and transparent aluminum rather than like durasteel and plastisteel and whatever cartoony poo poo Star Wars just makes up to try and come up with an in universe explanation for why everything is made out of plastic and polystyrene and carpentry wood.

I never thought durasteel and plastisteel were actual descriptions so much as brand names in the Star Wars universe. "Tired of patching holes in your hull? You don't need more metal. You need a DurasteelTM hull!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Holy poo poo that's so much better.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Nothing is worst than flimsiplast - which is acrylic sheets used instead of paper.

I much, much prefer Star Trek's taxctile and even their holographic interfaces. And that's even taking into account trying to fill out holograph incident reports.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Voyager & Enterprise both had the very odd, unfortunate distinction of casting a female actor purely as eye candy but then having her turn out to be the best actor and character on the show despite that.

To be fair, one of the reasons they were the best actors was because the human cast were generally told to play boring and dull. Ryan got a pass because she was Borg and so they let her do wild things like 'emote'.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

QRiker felt sorry for wes and threw in a few upgrades.

yeah it was riker projecting a few things. show alot of self control riker didnt fight Q with BDE.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gonz posted:

Hayden Christensen was outstanding in Shattered Glass. Dude's not a bad actor. It's just that, as has been said, George Lucas isn't exactly the world's greatest screenwriter and director. Very talented guy in so many areas, brilliant even, but hiring Irvin Kershner to direct TESB (and Lawrence Kasdan to do the screenplay) was the best idea of his entire career. Same for Richard Marquand directing ROTJ.

There are moments in ROTS where you can almost see what could have been, but it was ultimately farted up by Lucas surrounding himself by people absolutely terrified to tell him "No." or "Maybe we do it this way."

Like a sort of nerd Stalin.

It's got to be hard to act to/in front of a greenscreen and be convincing. It says a lot about Bob Hoskins' (largely, imo) underrated talent that he was able to pull it off so well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

It is kinda funny how hosed up everyone looked in their old age makeup compared to how much better they look now as actual olds.

Keep in mind that was in the 80s/90s, though, with a contemporary eye to what an aged-up person might look like. I feel like people just used to visibly age harder. Remember that image making the rounds a while back of Cliff and Norm from Cheers, pointing out that both actors were in their mid-30s?

We've generally gotten smarter about the damage that smoking and UV exposure can do to your skin, Hollywood people doubly so because it's career-relevant. To say nothing of all the various aesthetic procedures available now, of which surgery is only one component.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean hell, Bill Murray was like 33 during the filming of Ghostbusters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone posted:

I never thought durasteel and plastisteel were actual descriptions so much as brand names in the Star Wars universe. "Tired of patching holes in your hull? You don't need more metal. You need a DurasteelTM hull!"

In fairness, duralumin is a real-life aluminum alloy, and it's been around long enough that it was used in zeppelins and WW1 aircraft.

Although it got the name not because it's especially durable, but after Düren, the town in Germany where it was invented.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can't really rag on durasteel when the main material of starship construction in Trek is Duranium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing in yo cranium
You put the "durr" in duranium