Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chamale posted:

I love how dark it gets when you're deep underwater in Subnautica, which is realistic. Chilling in the submarine with the lights dimmed, having a coffee, watching fish occasionally bump against the glass.

Popping the shield for a moment to fry the suckers off is very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I got a few of the common bugs in Subnautica, like the terrain eating vehicles and stuff, but the one I had that really impacted me I've not seen mentioned here. The lighting in the last two zones active and inactive lava zones was completely busted. Everything that didn't have an emissive layer was completely dark, and the emissive layers seemed to be broken too. This meant that the lava in the final area was dark greenish blue. This also meant that it was entirely impossible to navigate without sonar, since the terrain would only appear once the cyclops was directly on top of it.

The surface water shader also broke, so instead of nice, soft waves, I had jagged polygons.

Also, the pop in got so bad at the end, that from inside the containment facility the terrain would stay on the lowest LOD until I was less than a meter from it. The whole area looked it the sea floor was nothing but rough sand.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 11, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't have issues with the primary containment facility. And I prawn'd my way through it just fine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

MikeJF posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't have issues with the primary containment facility. And I prawn'd my way through it just fine.

Despite all my other problems, my Prawn was *mostly* fine in there, only had to deploy the grapple once.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MikeJF posted:

i did not have that issue but that's ok i had a bizarre one i've never seen anyone else ever have to make up for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHSLLNYv8Q

why yes that's a huge invisible object on the bridge of my cyclops that never went away and both made getting to the controls a pain and also caused routine physics weirdness. cool, huh? it was just there after i loaded my game, trying to reload did not make ot go away, i just had to deal with it.

i also had a plethora of ofher issues including falling through the cyclops multiple times, losing my seamoth when an alien structure loaded in on top of me, you know, all the hits.

and then my game failed to save after i spent 6 hours painstakingly moving my entire base into the cove tree cave and then i rushed through the rest of the game and uninstalled it.

i realize that like half my posts in this thread have been me bitching about how this was the absolute buggiest and worst experience i have ever had in a video game and that some might be sick of that, but my bitching is purely because i really, really wanted to love subnautica, but the game absolutely refused to let me. it's a special kind of disappointment when a game seems custom-made to be one of your favorite games ever from a gameplay and atmosphere perspective, only for it to fight you from start to finish with absurd bugs and make it impossible for you to have much positive feeling towards it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i did not have that issue but that's ok i had a bizarre one i've never seen anyone else ever have to make up for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHSLLNYv8Q

why yes that's a huge invisible object on the bridge of my cyclops that never went away and both made getting to the controls a pain and also caused routine physics weirdness. cool, huh? it was just there after i loaded my game, trying to reload did not make ot go away, i just had to deal with it.

i also had a plethora of ofher issues including falling through the cyclops multiple times, losing my seamoth when an alien structure loaded in on top of me, you know, all the hits.

and then my game failed to save after i spent 6 hours painstakingly moving my entire base into the cove tree cave and then i rushed through the rest of the game and uninstalled it.

i realize that like half my posts in this thread have been me bitching about how this was the absolute buggiest and worst experience i have ever had in a video game and that some might be sick of that, but my bitching is purely because i really, really wanted to love subnautica, but the game absolutely refused to let me. it's a special kind of disappointment when a game seems custom-made to be one of your favorite games ever from a gameplay and atmosphere perspective, only for it to fight you from start to finish with absurd bugs and make it impossible for you to have much positive feeling towards it.

Depending on how long ago you experienced these issues, I wonder if replaying it now would help? I mean, the majority of us didn't experience that specific cyclops bug, so maybe your next playthrough would be smoother? Not saying it's not buggy, but a lot of the ones I experienced were minor. Not all, but most.

Also, isn't OG running on the BZ build/engine version now?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Depending on how long ago you experienced these issues, I wonder if replaying it now would help? I mean, the majority of us didn't experience that specific cyclops bug, so maybe your next playthrough would be smoother? Not saying it's not buggy, but a lot of the ones I experienced were minor. Not all, but most.

Also, isn't OG running on the BZ build/engine version now?

well i posted that video in january of 2019 so that's when i experienced those issues. i have thought about giving it another shot but man, it just left such a bad taste in my mouth that i have not really had it in me.

i did play beyond zero and actually had zero bugs in it, but i also thought it was just flat-out boring. none of the biomes were nearly as cool as the cove tree/lost river, grand reef, bulb zone etc., the creatures were a total non-threat (the biggest leviathan did, what, 1/3 damage to the seatruck if it caught you?), and the hoverbike gets my vote for absolute worst vehicle in all of gaming history good god that fuckin thing was awful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

well i posted that video in january of 2019 so that's when i experienced those issues. i have thought about giving it another shot but man, it just left such a bad taste in my mouth that i have not really had it in me.

i did play beyond zero and actually had zero bugs in it, but i also thought it was just flat-out boring. none of the biomes were nearly as cool as the cove tree/lost river, grand reef, bulb zone etc., the creatures were a total non-threat (the biggest leviathan did, what, 1/3 damage to the seatruck if it caught you?), and the hoverbike gets my vote for absolute worst vehicle in all of gaming history good god that fuckin thing was awful.

I can agree with most of this, but I have to defend the twisty bridges biome in BZ. It is by far my favourite.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikeJF posted:

I think that bug may have been a more recently introduced one, as I went everywhere with my Prawn in my first playthroughs a few years ago and never had an issue but on more recent playthroughs I got stuck all over the place anywhere that had that sort of floor.

Or it might be one of those stupid framerate related physics issues, because my early playthroughs were on a GeForce 970 and the more recent ones were on a 3070.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
One of the lifepod NPCs in the original was this doctor with imposter syndrome, who was insecure about his doctoring skills because all diagnosis and treatment was relegated to computers in the future. Playing through below zero, the protagonist is heavily reminding me of that character lol, she seems to consider herself an esteemed scientist when as far as I can tell the extent of her scientific abilities is pointing a handheld scanner at things. At least the doctor had some self-awareness about it.

I'm starting to understand people's complaints with the writing in this game too. The story just feels so aimless as the game goes on, and the dialogue is so awful. Robin's conversations with Alan are the worst offender, just incredibly unnatural, formulaic and cliche. I'm still up on the game though, it is just so much prettier and visually polished than the original. And the ground has only eaten my Snowfox once!

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 11, 2023

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Many of the bugs and pop ins were *crosses fingers* fixed in the latest big patch.

quote:

Fixed multiple terrain streaming issues (vehicles/items falling through)
Fixed multiple issues related to base-building, vehicles
Less likely to get stuck in Alien Bases while operating the Prawn

I had three moths a prawn and several mobile vehicle bays disappear when I loaded games on my first playthrough.
One of the bays turned up near the orbital defence gun, which was 2.5km away from where it was deployed :derp:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If Subnautica was a car I’d excitedly tell everyone at a party how amazing it is. Then when someone says they owned one and had nothing but trouble with it, I would not shift my inflection or energy one bit as I said “oh yeah it’s a giant piece of poo poo too”

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GD_American posted:

If Subnautica was a car I’d excitedly tell everyone at a party how amazing it is. Then when someone says they owned one and had nothing but trouble with it, I would not shift my inflection or energy one bit as I said “oh yeah it’s a giant piece of poo poo too”

I’m a Star Trek fan.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lima posted:

One of the bays turned up near the orbital defence gun, which was 2.5km away from where it was deployed :derp:

I’ve lost one of these like this as well, but I just assumed it got in the way of a passing reefback and they just pushed it until it fell off of them.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Pander posted:

I got off better than most, but I still lost a seamoth to the hungry mountain island (nom nom) and had the prawn get stuck inside a mushroom in a weird way.

Also, did you take the prawn in the containment facility? I can't imagine you wouldn't, so I don't know how you avoided needing to grapple just to move there.

I never had too much issue with popin though, only a little here and there. Does computer power or resolution make a difference? I played on a 3080, 4k res, it was always beautiful and clear. I bought it on switch just for BZ when the combo cartridge was on sale, and I found it so janky with terrible controls (how can you play SN without a mouse??) that I threw more money at UW to get a PC copy.

Oh yeah I did have that issue, but I worked around it so just didn't really consider it when making that post! I consider myself lucky that I didn't have any sort of other shenanigans.

And I played on mouse and keyboard... It was fine :shrug: I did on Outer Wilds too until that one part that's way easier with a controller :v:

Thinking about doing a second playthrough with mods soon, pretty excited about that. Haven't really touched it since putting in my 35-40 hours the first playthrough.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just keep note of any mods made before the recent updates.
Living Large for SN and What the Dock for BZ.
They made major changes to the game and absolutely any mod not updated for SN wont work, for BZ some older ones may work but not all.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zesty posted:

I’m a Star Trek fan.

this is such a loving good way to put it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want to try the DeathRun mod but it's not updated for the newest version. It hasn't been updated in two years which doesn't give me hope.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

I want to try the DeathRun mod but it's not updated for the newest version. It hasn't been updated in two years which doesn't give me hope.

It was a fun mod with a lot of customizations and challenges you could toggle on/off.

Ex:
You could also tune how aggressive creatures were and their aggro range, which sounds like fun until reapers are hunting you through the creepvine forests in the safe shallows*

*:getin:

Practically it makes some areas absolutely off-limits, unless you’re fast, quiet, or both.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Chamale posted:

I love how dark it gets when you're deep underwater in Subnautica, which is realistic. Chilling in the submarine with the lights dimmed, having a coffee, watching fish occasionally bump against the glass.
I was very much climbing back into my pod the instant it starts getting dark when I first played and didn't know what was out in the dark. Getting into the depths when it's pitch black was creepy as hell.

This game has some incredible atmosphere I haven't gotten from anything else before.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

looking down from underneath the floating island into the blackness for the first time was the only time the game ever unnerved me, 'till i went down and discovered the grand reef and decided i wanted to live there 'cause the grand reef rules.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

looking down from underneath the floating island into the blackness for the first time was the only time the game ever unnerved me, 'till i went down and discovered the grand reef and decided i wanted to live there 'cause the grand reef rules.

Yeah looking down from there and hearing ghost Levis off somewhere was a huge incentive for me to scoot along the surface like a water strider until I got the prawn.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Even once I had the idea down that the atmosphere is incredible and the wildlife is almost always less dangerous than it feels like it's going to be (unless you insist on shining lights at them anyway), I still occasionally had to tell myself "it's ok, if you die to something you can't see yet you'll just respawn because it's a video game and have to grab the spare seaglide you left in the base in case of just this situation."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pander posted:

Yeah looking down from there and hearing ghost Levis off somewhere was a huge incentive for me to scoot along the surface like a water strider until I got the prawn.

loving the contrast to how we handled our initial unease lmao

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I had a couple hours to kill yesterday and it's been nagging me in the back of my mind I've got a save on my PS4 I haven't finished. Didn't want to leave Riley stranded forever so booted it up and... there were two incomplete saves.

I picked the earlier one which was probably the one I was thinking of, saw from a beacon I have a base at ghost tree, and had plenty of kyanite back at my base in the shallows (so must have done a fair bit of lava area).

I had assumed I was ready to go so set about building the rocket. Ran into a snag at the third piece where I needed more of the type of sulfer you find down in the lava zone as well as the ion power cell (should have been my tipoff for what came later), so loaded the Prawn into the Cyclops and made the trek down. Got sulphur, ion cubes/recipe, returned to base. Last component needed the Cyclops shield generator which I didn't have, had a hard time finding the wreck without coordinates but got there in the end after a fair bit of driving around.

Was running around the Neptune throwing switches and getting to blast off, went to the command chair for the final one and... yep, alien gun hasn't been disabled yet :negative:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My plan if I can get a few hours in today is: Upgrade Cyclops modules (just found the cyclop module fabricator :doh:) and move my 2nd outpost (which started at the 250m Degassi spot and is now at the 500m Degassi site) to the quiet area deep underwater. This means a multipurpose room with a 1 tree garden, closet, fabricator, trash, bioreactor, and water machine, and a pretty well-equipped scanning room. I think I'm going to have to build storage into my sea-moth if I can't straight up move it all with the cyclops.

Once I have that outpost set up, I think I will really try to finish some last modules and then strike out deeper. That may be for next weekend. I'm hoping today's crafting and moving session and goes off without a hitch.

Update:

It all went swimmingly (pun fully intended). I got the Cyclops down here slowly but without too much trouble. I'm surrounded by goodies and having just upgraded the full depth on my prawn I'm ready to really set out, exploit this place and see what lies further. I'm hoping this is the last outpost I have to set up. It's not tough but time-consuming. A bit sad I left the full base above but that's ok.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 14, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A bit sad I left the full base above but that's ok.

?? Didn't you say you brought the cyclops with you?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah but that’s not the main bigger base filled with bits and bobs. I never figured out how to connect between rooms though so they’re just stacked on top of one another.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Last night got annoying. It’s my own fault for not packing beacons I guess but I don’t think they’d solve the issue that much. I had some annoying back and forth to make tablets and a fabricator in the cyclops since I seem to have removed it. Once I got that settled I set off. i found the lava area with another lab in there that’s why I needed the tablet. I thought it would be easier to find again, having found it easily with my Prawn but when I tried to find it again with the cyclops I completely failed and circled the area twice seeing a giant gently caress off lizard-squid who completely ignored me. So I try to approach again on foot on the prawn and get attacked by that thing and survive fireballs to the face by sidestepping it into a hole. It then charges I grapple back, it missed and I got some good drill attacks. I then escaped to eventually find the lab again.

It took me an hour to find it again and has me a bit sour on the games map/lack thereof.

I got my second major bug. The first was with the prawn being taken by a reaper and disappearing somewhere underground south of the aurora. This time I took a a teleporter to feed on trees and when I got back my prawn, which I had parked inside had sunk halfway into the ground. Still my save was right before that, so nothing was lost but load times being what they are and with my need for a first aid kit my detour is going to take a bit.

I sort of want to see what supplies I need from here so I never have to come back.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I sort of want to see what supplies I need from here so I never have to come back.

Heres a secret for the last area that may save you a trip then.

You are going to need 2 blue keys and at least 1 purple.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

Heres a secret for the last area that may save you a trip then.

You are going to need 2 blue keys and at least 1 purple.

Definitely read this spoiler.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Definitely read this spoiler.

Yes, and also

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It took me an hour to find it again and has me a bit sour on the games map/lack thereof.[/spoiler]

Beacon everything. You can make them different colors and turn them on/off individually in the UI. Absolute necessity, even after multiple playthroughs, I use more beacons every time because I'm always finding new ways to get lost.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

Yes, and also

Beacon everything. You can make them different colors and turn them on/off individually in the UI. Absolute necessity, even after multiple playthroughs, I use more beacons every time because I'm always finding new ways to get lost.

Yeah, if anything, I use MORE beacons after my first playthrough because I know, man.... I know... the pain of losing my bearings, and the disturbing regularity with which that happens.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly I’ve only set up two and otherwise used the in-game locations coupled with a very good sense of direction. It’s just this cave is so drat dark I can’t see a thing/everything looks alike.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I also consider myself to have a good sense of direction, but it's not good enough for this game. Use more beacons. Always have two on you whenever you're heading out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Always went out with 5. I like to mark anything interesting.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Honestly I’ve only set up two and otherwise used the in-game locations coupled with a very good sense of direction. It’s just this cave is so drat dark I can’t see a thing/everything looks alike.

Do you have the sonar upgrade for the cyclops? I can't imagine doing that area without it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Do you have the sonar upgrade for the cyclops? I can't imagine doing that area without it.

I turned up the murkiness of the water all the way on DeathRun, it turns literally any vehicle drive into flying mostly blind without sonar :getin:

between that and more aggressive reapers appearing out of the murk, I’ve lost a LOT of seamoths :cry:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I did. Some land marks let me know where I was but I couldn’t drive the cyclops closer. Probably for the best.

And thanks for the item spoiler. I’ll make a note of it asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I think I'm literally one Stalker's Tooth from finishing the game. I did the whole rigamarole of finding the final lab. Which took some time because again navigation in the lava caves is awful. I was pretty safe, though trying to Prawn my way over got me slapped by another lizard-squid. The Prawn is sturdy as poo poo though. I explore the hell out of this new lab, find a bunch of portals, and find the giant beast in the aquarium. Wasted some time trying to get it to trigger its conversation, but finally got it and I had to go on a fetch quest? Thankfully the game makes it easy, but still. There was some poetic license in using the fabricator in the OG lifepod to make the hatching enzyme (by this point by Sea Moth was ferrying me from the Alien Island Base and my life pod/main base for healing items as the Cyclops was a pain to find in the lava lakes and too annoying to drive anywhere useful.) I finally did that. I drove my way out of the lava to hang out by the Tree for a bit and collect what I would need for the rocket (I looked it up, like hell I'm going back down there again, teleporters or not). Once I was satisfied, I sailed away through the caves. I finally got attacked by a leviathan, one of the ghost ones, and it did some damage to the cyclops but nothing major. I shot out a decoy, not sure if it did anything. I listed strangely for a bit but made it out in one piece and sailed back to the Neptune. I suppose I turned off the alien missile launcher when I got stabbed by the machine and everything turned off?

And now all I need is a stalker's tooth. Of course my scanner doesn't want to locate them, I fear that means there are none, but it has happened that the "list" of items grows after a bit of normal exploring. So we'll see. By this point my Switch was dying, it's nearly 2 am and I do need to work tomorrow, albeit at noon, so there we go. I guess that's tomorrow's plan.

I really enjoyed this game, but I do think my patience with it was really tested by the last couple of areas.