Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Three Houses has the best music in the series, and good characters. The gameplay is solid. The storyline is really dreadful and the route split did a lot of damage to it and they should have just made Edelgard the main character. I rate it about an 8/10, but with extra personal demerits for wasted potential. It is probably the 3rd best Fire Emblem overall because the good parts are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Endorph posted:

predictions for thread discourse:

More like Fire Emblem ENRAGE amirite.

Edit: Realtalk, did anyone buy the season pass thing?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

FrickenMoron posted:

More like Fire Emblem ENRAGE amirite.

No. No, I totally wouldn't buy it blind. No siree, not I.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I can't say where 3 houses fits in the broad scope of all FE games (it's my third) but I'd say it's quite enjoyable on the whole, and it has stoked my interest in the franchise. I wouldn't be psyched to play engage (and to go back and emulate the rest afterwards) if I didn't play it. This, I imagine, was its job.

FrickenMoron posted:

First run vanilla, and if I like it then yes I will.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres my fe games ranking

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

thracia in its rightful place

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think from a gameplay perspective my view of Three Houses is perhaps unfairly tainted with the absurd amount of map re-use.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Famicom games are untiered because I never played them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sudden Javelin posted:

I am still a big fan of houses but if this does turn out to be a basic rear end dragon killing plot then it bodes well for thread discourse

Three Houses has unsealed Pandora's Box. Fire Emblem must now always have horrible discourse.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Good list. I think you overrated Revelations though, tbh.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

I rate Awakening much higher and Ike's first game a little lower but this is a very good list, nice opinion.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Hell yeah, Radiant Dawn number one 4lyfe.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with my best friends Micaiah and Ike.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

still looking forward to fire emblem: path to dawn, the fe9+10 collection remaster

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Terper posted:

still looking forward to fire emblem: path to dawn, the fe9+10 collection remaster

Only change is that skip animations actually works. Also animations are way faster in general.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I hope Engage has a banger preparations theme. 3H As Swift As Wind is probably my favorite song in the series. Those drums man!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

I hope Engage has a banger preparations theme. 3H As Swift As Wind is probably my favorite song in the series. Those drums man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDh7e7tvdGE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's hosed up but true when you say the next Fire Emblem game is out in 1 week

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

It's hosed up but true when you say the next Fire Emblem game is out in 1 week

So hosed up that I took off a week from work.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blue Labrador posted:

The change to As Fierce As Fire is one of the most impactful moments in the series for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErW1UmslUw

the instrumental of the op they use for the first time you engage owns

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, all right, that string section that got cut off at the end there seemed like it was going somewhere sick.

Man, I love how full the color pallette is compared to 3H. I like the latter's art direction, but the vivid colors do a lot to help make the maps more readable from the jump.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

I never got to play Radiant Dawn but this is really hard to dispute.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had so much fun actually playing Conquest that I can't possibly rate it lowly. I know its gameplay isn't everyone's style but it's probably the most satisfying I've found tactical RPG combat. I never played on Lunatic but Hard/Classic was an absolute blast for me.

And then I got so bored midway through Revelations that I never finished it.

Though to this day, I think Fates has my favorite core mechanics in the series. I really like its class system. Love its version of Pair Up. I also kinda miss the 3DS era look to the games, with the map sprites and then 3D combat models. A hypothetical game with the gameplay of Conquest but the story of... literally any game with a story that isn't garbage would probably be one of my favorite games ever.

My biggest complaint about Conquest (outside of the writing, obviously) is that Birthright is the one where you get the most freedom to play with the new classes, while Conquest mostly has classic Fire Emblem classes aside from a few units.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 13, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

So hosed up that I took off a week from work.

Yeah well I took off three weeks. :smug:

(This has nothing to do with Fire Emblem, it was use it or lose it. It does make for a happy coincidence though!)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly ij ust hate everything about fates. i hate pair-up conceptually and fates' pair up being more 'balanced' just makes me madder at it, i hate how conquest's maps are designed outside of chapter 10, i hate how it has no idea what gameplay pacing is, i hate having to change classes 3-5 times per character for the optimal builds, i hate shurikens/ninja spam, etc.

its plot isnt even in the top 10 of my problems with it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think I'd probably rate the games I played like this

Still think Awakening is probably my favorite FE period. I also think Birthright is probably the best Fates gets and I give it a lot of points for having fun new spins on classes/aesthetics even if it flubs almost everything else. It helps that I think it has a pretty boring but overall passable story compared to Rev/Conquest. So its Shadow Dragon tier instead of being at the absolute bottom :v:

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 13, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

I had so much fun actually playing Conquest that I can't possibly rate it lowly. I know its gameplay isn't everyone's style but it's probably the most satisfying I've found tactical RPG combat.

All three of the mainline FE games I've played have had something I thought they did better than the rest.

Awakening had my favorite all-around story of the bunch, light-hearted comfort food.

Fates, specifically Conquest, had the most enjoyable tactical gameplay of the lot when I'm in the mood for that. Birthright and Revelation had no redeeming virtues.

Three Houses had the best art design and canon bi characters who weren't completely abhorrent.

I hope Engage will bring something unique to the table, but there's enough in the previews that I've found off-putting that I'm waiting to see what word of mouth says after release.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

honestly ij ust hate everything about fates. i hate pair-up conceptually and fates' pair up being more 'balanced' just makes me madder at it, i hate how conquest's maps are designed outside of chapter 10, i hate how it has no idea what gameplay pacing is, i hate having to change classes 3-5 times per character for the optimal builds, i hate shurikens/ninja spam, etc.

its plot isnt even in the top 10 of my problems with it.

I actually like Fates to some degree and I can agree with a lot of these criticisms. Throwing knives/shuriken were an especially terrible and utterly baffling design decision, especially in a game where they very deliberately nerfed weapons like javelins and hand axes into the dirt.

I've honestly come to hate reclassing in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

engage seems like an acceptable version of it since between it not being completely plug and play and the limited skill slots it seems like itll avoid the worst excesses of shadow dragon and fates but yeah im still not a fan. i think it removes a lot of the elegance that makes FE what it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there's one nice thing I can say about Second Seals coming back (complete with their level resetting power) it's that it makes it impossible to truly gently caress up a unit or for a unit to be truly RNG-screwed. If one of your favorite characters is turning out poorly, just Second Seal them--even into the same class, if you want (which we've seen you can do in previews)--and give them more chances to gain stats.

It's not something I love, and I prefer not grinding in FE games, but I guess it's a nice safety net to make sure you never have to bench a unit who isn't turning out well.

If they'd done away with reclassing entirely I wouldn't have minded, either, but I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Cythereal posted:

I hope Engage will bring something unique to the table, but there's enough in the previews that I've found off-putting that I'm waiting to see what word of mouth says after release.

There are definitely things about Engage that kinda rub me the wrong way but I think I like enough of what I've seen to jump straight in. If nothing else I love the super colorful aesthetic and the nice animations enough that those are probably enough to make me have a nice enough time on their own. I'm easy to please I think.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Thracia, Path of Radiance

Genealogy, Three Houses, Radiant Dawn

Sacred Stones, FE7

Conquest, Shadows, New Mystery, Binding Blade,

Awakening

Birthright

Revelations, Shadow Dragon.

I like basically everything above Awakening. I used to be a lot fonder of Awakening but I find it so insanely boring to replay that it just plummeted down my list over time more then probably any other game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
things that make me irrationally upset about fire emblem, episode 15925: it's revelation, not revelations! aaaaaah!!!

anyway in one week I'm gonna engage some emblems and pet sommie and land sick critical hits, hell yeah

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theshim posted:

things that make me irrationally upset about fire emblem, episode 15925: it's revelation, not revelations! aaaaaah!!!

anyway in one week I'm gonna engage some emblems and pet sommie and land sick critical hits, hell yeah

The only revelation is that you wanted your money.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm for reclassing, but I'd have preferred to have a hard cap to the unit's level as well like 3H and Fates does it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

I forgot that reboot camp is still in limbo for almost a year now, hosed up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nintendo saw people bullying it for having a game grump voice act in it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I never finished three houses, I got just before the... Time skip? And stopped. I will probably go back later on, but I didn't like the persona aspects because it makes me metagame it hard, cause I do not replay games anymore, and I didn't like I couldn't just grind to my heart's content like in awakening, which was :perfect:

I ordered this so maybe this one will stick

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you look beyond the mainline games, though, I think my favorite FE protagonist has to be Shez. She's a bit of a dumbass, but she knows it, and she's funny and easygoing. The game's willing to poke fun at her and she can laugh at herself, and she doesn't end up worshiped by everyone - Seteth in particular comes to respect her in their A support but simultaneously makes it clear that he does not personally like her and requests that she keep things strictly professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Shez is great and we need more Shez. Unfortunately she’s in the musou hole along with Linkle and we won’t see her again ever.