Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

The strike zone as defined by the rulebook is somewhat vague and is not indicative of how it is actually called in games. Cody Bellinger being a prime example else he would be getting called out on pitches at his neck.

Yeah I think that's what the roboumps are designed to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

euphronius posted:

Not one game I’ve ever seen has been improved by “instant replay” . Plenty have been negatively impacted

I know I’m on the losing side

You never saw the Armando Galarraga game?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah I think that's what the roboumps are designed to fix.

Right and MLB would have to come up with a formula or some means to determine a players strikezone. Would this be a transparent process? Seems unlikely.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
ANDREW FUTCHEN MCCUTCHEN ANDREW FUTCHEN MCCUTCHEN ANDREW FUTCHEN MCCUTCHEN

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Is it real money or is it like $.23

It's network primetime, which is the best time slot, but it's background and not featured music (like a performance or theme song) which lowers it a bit. I got $27.47 for 9 seconds of air time. Streaming sites pay wayyyyyyyyyyyy worse than stuff that airs on live TV. As an example, another piece of mine that was played for 9 seconds on a show on AppleTV earned me $0.00087. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, my royalties statement this quarter was 266 pages long, so my income is basically collecting pennies at a time from thousands of different sources.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

ALFbrot posted:

That's exactly right

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I don’t necessarily have a problem with challenging pitches if it’s quick, but is MLB going to pass up the opportunity to draw it out over a commercial break, or even a long ad read?

Are they going to need to rewrite the rules about umpires arguing balls and strikes? I’d love to see Angel Hernandez get tossed from losing his poo poo because of an overturned call.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Right and MLB would have to come up with a formula or some means to determine a players strikezone. Would this be a transparent process? Seems unlikely.
All you need as a check on MLB here is for the union to have veto power over the process.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Put sensors in the players uniforms at the knees, belt and shoulder to determine the lower and upper bounds of the zone and sensors in the ball.

Also put sensors in the bases and gloves to determine if a runner beat out a throw or not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You could probably just come up with a simple algorithm based on player height by analyzing the ~decade worth of pitch data we have on file already.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Put sensors in the players uniforms at the knees, belt and shoulder to determine the lower and upper bounds of the zone and sensors in the ball.

If you do that then players will just move the sensors. Better go with subdermal implants

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

It's true.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
have umpires collect bats and let dogs call balls and strikes imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1613962521635065856

Bad news for the Astros locker room

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Well only the lockers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We purchased a huge collection of memorabilia over the past year or so and are debuting a ton of it at Cubs Convention this weekend. I'm not working it this year as I'm not quite ready to go back to a CONVENTION of all places, but my coworker and I got to set up the "Equipment Room," which is one of four rooms at Convention this year that's leaning into this new collection. I think this is the first time we're displaying a lot of it and I'm really happy that we're leaning into it and working hard to preserve this collection, which is EXTREMELY COOL.

This room was dedicated to uniforms, bats, balls, bases, helmets, hats, and some other stuff. We split it into five areas - three big tables for the late 60s, 1984, and 2000-present (emphasis on 2016), then two display cases that were split between 2016 and everything else.

We decided to make the late '60s the centerpiece of the room. We wanted to make it eye-catching and since so many of our fans are obsessed with history, the 60s uniforms and bats would be a cool way to draw people in. All of both the uniforms and bats were game-used, and most of the jerseys were signed. These jerseys all had numbers on both the front and back, so we had them facing front if they weren't signed (to show off the front button-up style) and facing back if there was a signature to show off.

Uniforms, left-to-right: Ernie Banks (1968), Leo Durocher (1969), Billy Williams (1969), Don Kessinger (1969), Don Young (1969), Fergie Jenkins (1969), Ron Santo (1969), Randy Hundley (1969)
Bats: Glen Beckert (1968), Randy Hundley (1968), Ron Santo (1968), Billy Williams (1969), Jose Cardenal (unknown year), Bill Madlock (unknown year)

The 1984 table is an EXTREMELY cool collection and I'm thrilled with how the table turned out. Everything here is from 1984 except for three of the bats, and the collection is stunning. We bookended the table with the folded uniforms of Manager Jim Frey and third-base-coach Don Zimmer, then featured the three Hall of Famers (Smith, Sandberg, Sutcliffe) on the tallest stands in the back, which was especially appropriate since Sandberg won MVP and Sutcliffe won Cy Young that season.

Uniforms, left-to-right: Jim Frey (folded), Larry Bowa, Bill Buckner (facing front), Ron Cey, Lee Smith, Bob Dernier (folded), Ryne Sandberg (facing front), Jody Davis, Rick Sutcliffe, Gary Matthews (facing front), Keith Moreland, Don Zimmer (folded)
1984 bats: Jody Davis, Leon Durham, Ron Cey, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson.
Other bats: Mark Grace (1989), Shawon Dunston (1989), Manny Trillo (unknown year)

Our 2000s-but-mostly-2016 table is a little haphazard but we wanted to put Sammy front and center because it's stupid that the org doesn't have a relationship with him and this was our small rebellion against it. The fans want Sammy, dangit, so we tried to give them some Sammy. And also some Lackey.

Uniforms, left-to-right: John Lackey (2016, folded), Carlos Zambrano (2011), Moises Alou (2004), Derrek Lee (2005), Sammy Sosa (2003), Ben Zobrist (2016, Memorial Day jersey, facing front), Dexter Fowler (2016), Jon Lester (2016 spring training), Kyle Hendricks (2016), Hector Rondon (2016, folded)
Bats: Miguel Montero (2015), Dexter Fowler (2016), Ben Zobrist (2016), Moises Alou (unknown year), Sammy Sosa (unknown year), Geovany Soto (unknown year)

I don't have pictures of the display cases as the glass made the pics pretty bad, but the highlights of the 2016 case were game-used balls from games 1 and 2 of the NLDS, games 1, 2 and 6 of the NLCS, and every game of the World Series, Dex's World Series game 7 batting helmet, and bases from NLCS game 6 and World Series game 7. The non-2016 display case had more goodies, including tickets from the 1938 World Series (which were EXTREMELY COOL), a Ryne Sandberg autographed batting glove, and a ton of game-used caps, including a signed one from Andy Pafko and a signed Ernie Banks helmet.

This is the view as you enter the room, though it will be different with fans inside and there will be an additional set of stanchions protecting the 1984 table on the left. The display cases are on the immediate left and right and aren't shown in this picture.

In total we had 30 jerseys, 20 game-used bats, and a ton of baseballs, caps, helmets, and other stuff. Unfortunately we only had 25 mannequins and a handful of stands under the mannequins, which is why five of the jerseys are folded on the tables and some of the mannequins are too short to keep the uniforms from splaying out on the table. But throughout this whole process, we were working with an employee of the archival service we're using, and she approved of all the ways we were displaying the items here. We handled everything while wearing gloves (especially the Moises Alou bat) and no food or water was allowed anywhere near it all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Cutch owns but he is terrible now.
So either he continues to be terrible and fits right in or he improves even a little and seems good by comparison, win/win

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's network primetime, which is the best time slot, but it's background and not featured music (like a performance or theme song) which lowers it a bit. I got $27.47 for 9 seconds of air time. Streaming sites pay wayyyyyyyyyyyy worse than stuff that airs on live TV. As an example, another piece of mine that was played for 9 seconds on a show on AppleTV earned me $0.00087. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, my royalties statement this quarter was 266 pages long, so my income is basically collecting pennies at a time from thousands of different sources.

hey this is super cool and I hope you're really proud and happy about it

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

Not one game I’ve ever seen has been improved by “instant replay” . Plenty have been negatively impacted

I was all for instant replay until they started calling runners out because they bounced off a bag for 1/1000th of a second.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

I don’t necessarily have a problem with challenging pitches if it’s quick, but is MLB going to pass up the opportunity to draw it out over a commercial break, or even a long ad read?

Are they going to need to rewrite the rules about umpires arguing balls and strikes? I’d love to see Angel Hernandez get tossed from losing his poo poo because of an overturned call.

I don't really see the point of a pitch challenge system - if the system can't get the calls right then it's not ready for game use.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/GOCPBL/status/1613880094854098945

I have no idea who this is, but I love it. More international signings, more heat, more arms

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

We handled everything while wearing gloves (especially the Moises Alou bat)

lol

That rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Exodor posted:

I don't really see the point of a pitch challenge system - if the system can't get the calls right then it's not ready for game use.

It can get the calls right, but they're A/B testing 100% ABS vs the challenge system to see which one they like better. Like if it turns out the bad umps who don't call strikes because of whatever personal idiosyncrasy or unwritten rule they have in their brains, we're going to see a remarkable rise in their accuracy ratings now that they can be held accountable. If you have every ump suddenly calling 98% correct games then I don't think you'd need to go to 100% robo ump and everyone is happy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Poque posted:

cool cubs stuff

Holy poo poo this is awesome

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

TDepressionEarl posted:

that wasn't jeter's first big move

God it was so beautiful. I will never forgive Jeter for this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dinger Machine ultimately got its revenge

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Glad McCutchen is back. Wish he was coming home to a winner.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Every fuckin day

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

thatscub

This owns. Want that Sosa bat...

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

ALFbrot posted:

Lots of good stuff to look out for:

quote:

McCutchen will enter 2023 with a shot at some major milestones. He needs 105 games for 2,000, 52 hits for 2,000, eight doubles for 400, 13 homers for 300 and 17 walks for 1,000. He already crossed the 1,000-RBI threshold near the end of 2022.

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-mccutchen-deal-with-pirates

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gotta throw him the commemorative baseballs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

This owns. Want that Sosa bat...

It feels lighter than I would've expected... :thunk:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It feels lighter than I would've expected... :thunk:

It was to put on a show for the fans!!!!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
according to my weak arms it weighed approximately 900 lbs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1614002020653875201

People are clowning on Crane for doing the Jerry Jones thing but so far his moves seem pretty good to me. Locking up the best pen the league, a really good FA signing, not overspending on FAs, so far so good. I guess until he fucks something up I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

e: i guess signing arb agreements isn't "locking up" but it certainly bodes better for their return as FAs if we're coming to agreements instead of trying to screw guys

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only arb guy the Cubs haven't agreed to terms with yet is Happ, and I'm very curious to see how it plays out. There were rumblings at the start of the offseason that the Cubs might look to extend him but given the glut of upper-minors OF prospects we have and the fact that Happ's asking price will probably be pretty high given he's coming off a career year and entering a walk year, I just don't see it happening.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves signed deals with everyone except Fried, who I’m sure they would love to sign an AA extension with but should probably test his value.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If Cutch is going back to the Pirate Bryan Reynolds should go back to the Giants it's only fair.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

The only arb guy the Cubs haven't agreed to terms with yet is Happ, and I'm very curious to see how it plays out. There were rumblings at the start of the offseason that the Cubs might look to extend him but given the glut of upper-minors OF prospects we have and the fact that Happ's asking price will probably be pretty high given he's coming off a career year and entering a walk year, I just don't see it happening.

The Cubs plan to drag him, a union rep, into a protracted and bitter arb dispute and then trade him at the deadline for a lottery ticket arm that we will never hear from again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cubs plan to drag him, a union rep, into a protracted and bitter arb dispute and then trade him at the deadline for a lottery ticket arm that we will never hear from again.

How do you feel about a guy named 'Prelander'?