Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

When all is said and done, is Rodgers still in the conversation for Best QBs of All Time?

Brady is firmly the greatest and there is no competition. His leadership is off the charts. He has more playoff wins than all but two NFL franchises.

But if we're talking QB talent, arm talent, spectacular throws, accurate throws? In 30 years of watching NFL football, Rodgers is one of two players I've ever watched that routinely pulled off absolutely loving unbelievable throws, thrown with perfect timing into impossibly tiny windows. The other is Patrick Mahomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't fault anyone for not wanting to have a conversation with Rodgers about anything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Rodgers is in the GOAT conversation and a first-ballot Hall of Famer, barring some wild Kanye West-like situation where he really goes all-in on the libertarian/Joe Rogan demographic act. And even then how many players have been kept out of the HOF for off-field "issues"? Is TO still getting snubbed every year or did he finally get through?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

And even then how many players have been kept out of the HOF for off-field "issues"? Is TO still getting snubbed every year or did he finally get through?

Owens got inducted in 2018 on his third ballot.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://twitter.com/SBNationNFL/status/1613947276451352588?t=1h4CEy-uv8j5AGeFmt1Bxg&s=19

we need justice for Goff and Fields but the rest are accurate

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how is rodgers not the tim heidecker Paul Buffano guy

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Fields is the replacement organist at the funeral.

(RIP Fred Willard)

R.D. Mangles posted:

how is rodgers not the tim heidecker Paul Buffano guy

Also this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rodgers is definitely one of the best regular season QBs of all time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1613964997276598277

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well, a lot of these players already have their second contracts (Gary, Elgton, Alexander, Clark). Savage and possibly Nijman are coming up. But, yes, by 2025 we'll have to start to worry about Watson, Wyatt, Walker, maybe Stokes, maybe Tom and Runyan.

If the cap keeps growing it won't be that much of an issue. If it doesn't then Rodgers's dead money will be a problem for a couple of seasons.

If he plays another year his dead money isn’t really a big deal after 2023 at 24 million. If he retires they can split it in half. If traded before June then I assume they will be rolling with a cheap rookie qb contract or structure Loves contract with a signing bonus so it’s like they have a 30 million qb cap hit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JaredNFLDraft/status/1613914251344900096

wait.

CJ Stroud is staying?

lets goooo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If Stroud is staying then Chicago is at minimum getting the RG3 package.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

MJeff posted:

Which is fine with me, I'm up for a few more years of sweeping their asses.

If the Vikings can't actually put together a roster that can sweep this increasingly decrepit heap next year then it's going to be extremely disappointing.

Vikings themselves have something of an age problem, though, it's just not drawing any attention because nothing the Vikings do seems to draw any major attention.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Calling the bears wr group Replacement a level is generous

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hand Row posted:

If he plays another year his dead money isn’t really a big deal after 2023 at 24 million. If he retires they can split it in half. If traded before June then I assume they will be rolling with a cheap rookie qb contract or structure Loves contract with a signing bonus so it’s like they have a 30 million qb cap hit.

That 24 million is only what remains of his signing bonus after 2023. If he plays next year he has a 60 million option bonus that must be exercised before the start of the season and is fully guaranteed. His dead money shoots up to like 70 million if he plays next year. There’s another option bonus in 2024 that adds another chunk but I’m not sure how that’s affected if he is released or retires after 2023.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Your spirited defense of Lamar Jackson is admirable.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What does this mean

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

brugroffil posted:

What does this mean

That the handful of good QB's in the draft will be in even higher demand if Stroud plays college ball another year. Means Bears can demand more since more teams will be looking to move up to #1.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

brugroffil posted:

What does this mean

There's two major QB prospects in this draft -- Bryce Young from Alabama, and CJ Stroud from Ohio State.

If CJ Stroud doesn't declare for the NFL and stays in college, there is exactly one high-grade QB prospect in a draft where multiple teams are desperate for QB help. That makes the #1 pick infinitely more valuable.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What kind of package could a school offer a student qb? I thought student athletes explicitly aren’t paid

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway CJ Stroud should stay in college and become the projected #1 overall next year because it'll make it easier for my stupid master plan that won't ever happen where the Lions trade their capitol this year for capitol next year and then put it all into a package to move up and draft Caleb Williams when the draft is in Detroit in 2024.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What kind of package could a school offer a student qb? I thought student athletes explicitly aren’t paid

For a couple of years now students athletes have been able to make money off of endorsements. NIL packages aren’t paid by schools, they are paid by third parties in exchange for (in theory) the rights to use the athletes name, image and likeness for advertising purposes. Really it’s a way for boosters to funnel a bunch of money to players they want to come to or remain at their school.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Stroud knows he could never survive the scrutiny of briefly trailing against Northwestern in a game with 60 mph gale force winds and downpours.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the "school" isn't offering it officially but rich people who may just hear from an AD or a coach over lunch about how much they would love to keep CJ stroud around for another year might decide to make an offer.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This (if he stays) means Detroit could go all-in on Defense, then trade up into #1 for Stroud next year... :gizz:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Q_res posted:

This (if he stays) means Detroit could go all-in on Defense, then trade up into #1 for Stroud next year... :gizz:

Caleb. :mad:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Q_res posted:

Oh so this would benefit two cursed NFC north teams? Sorry folks, never gonna happen

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I know it's not just one person writing a check, but it is incomprehensible to me that people would pool enough of their own money to be competitive with being the first or second overall pick in the NFL draft. Especially if the price to stay in the NCAA factors in he could Teddy Bridgewater his knee on the first snap in practice and plummet in 2024.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Lunchables posted:

When all is said and done, is Rodgers still in the conversation for Best QBs of All Time?

no. he's a bit of an upgrade on tony romo. like romo, they're both great qbs but fall apart at the tiniest bit of adversity. rodgers' primary attribute is being unwilling to make risky plays to keep his int% pristine (kirk cousins style) and oh hey, when your defense isn't winning it for you you can't get it done.

rodgers would go down as an all time great if he'd simply been able to play chicago each nfc champ game, but alas

my fav nfl stat is adjusted yards per pass attempt, even though it rewards people who shy away from risky throws. anyways, quite the top 20 list (of course recent years are higher). and he's not even tops on it like he should be. pathetic

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I know it's not just one person writing a check, but it is incomprehensible to me that people would pool enough of their own money to be competitive with being the first or second overall pick in the NFL draft. Especially if the price to stay in the NCAA factors in he could Teddy Bridgewater his knee on the first snap in practice and plummet in 2024.

Competitive is key, they can't match the like 35 million or whatever it is over the length of the contract, but they can match one year of it fairly easily, and then assuming he doesn't get hurt(injury insurance, and also even if he does get hurt, he has the NIL money along with the insurance) he will still be a round one pick next year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If Stroud stays at OSU, he definitely won't be doing only because of NIL money. Maybe they can get enough to match 1 year of being in the NFL, but maybe he's one of those guys that would rather go out on a high note of winning the Big 10 and getting to the national championship game. Losing to Michigan, and just barely losing to Georgia is maybe making him think of staying.

It wouldn't be that unheard of, although I still think he should go to the NFL because the earlier you get to the NFL, the earlier you get paid.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Does anyone know how insurance works when you can (and do) play in the NFL, but e.g., the injury makes you 10% less explosive, and thus you drop from 1st round to 3rd round?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

They made it legal for players to profit off their own likeness now. As others have said, the school itself isn't actually paying them anything but it's not against the rules for boosters to give them a bunch of money to play for the team anymore.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NCAA found a way to pay players while foisting the cost of it on a bunch of rich car dealership owners instead of the schools who obviously employ them.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

no. he's a bit of an upgrade on tony romo. like romo, they're both great qbs but fall apart at the tiniest bit of adversity. rodgers' primary attribute is being unwilling to make risky plays to keep his int% pristine (kirk cousins style) and oh hey, when your defense isn't winning it for you you can't get it done.

rodgers would go down as an all time great if he'd simply been able to play chicago each nfc champ game, but alas

my fav nfl stat is adjusted yards per pass attempt, even though it rewards people who shy away from risky throws. anyways, quite the top 20 list (of course recent years are higher). and he's not even tops on it like he should be. pathetic

just getting viciously stupid in here

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

In reputation Aaron is always going to be third on the list of greatest Packer QB's behind Starr and Farve. That's not an insult.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Well that's excellent.

https://twitter.com/BenGoessling/status/1613979564765548549

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Darth Brooks posted:

In reputation Aaron is always going to be third on the list of greatest Packer QB's behind Starr and Farve. That's not an insult.

And all three are a country mile behind Leroy Butler overall. that dude shows up to stuff around the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rodgers has 1 and a half more mvps than Favre and a Superbowl mvp. You could make the argument that he’s number 2.