Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Did that guy even watch the video? That poo poo was funny as hell and I'm glad that they turned all that trash into charity money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Look i’m all for charity but couldn’t they have destroyed all of their own videos to raise this money instead

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Eagerly awaiting the Lego Technics model of the “love chair” from Burn After Reading.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made myself cry with laughter by coming up with that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/woodrowwhite/status/1613607348693782530?s=46&t=hJHbkZhK7juWg-db-luVXw

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Unrelated but I saw broadcast TV ads for the first time in forever due to making the mistake of watching the golden globes on Tuesday. Keegan-Michael Key is doing an ad for Paramount+ in character as the substitute teacher and it is just wild how different his and Jordan Peele’s career trajectories have gone.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Can anyone recommend a site where you can keep track, rate, and catalog movies you've watched? And then it recommends more movies based on your ratings? I'm thinking of something like goodreads, but for movies instead of books.

I'm still on the Netflix DVD plan, and one of the reasons is because I have 746 movies rated on it. Their DVD system still uses the superior 5-star rating scale instead of thumbs up/down like their streaming service. I've found it extremely accurate in predicting how many stars I will give a movie. I'd thinking of emerging from the stone age and canceling my Netflix DVD plan, but the ratings capability is one of the best parts of it, and I don't really want to lose that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

therattle posted:

I made myself cry with laughter by coming up with that.

I honest to God was crying from laughter in the theater when the chair was revealed. Probably the hardest I’ve ever laughed at the movies. The mystery, the tension, masterfully broken.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Grey posted:

Can anyone recommend a site where you can keep track, rate, and catalog movies you've watched? And then it recommends more movies based on your ratings? I'm thinking of something like goodreads, but for movies instead of books.

Trakt.tv and Letterboxd are both great for the first part

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Criticker is the best for recommendations but it has a very outdated design

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I honest to God was crying from laughter in the theater when the chair was revealed. Probably the hardest I’ve ever laughed at the movies. The mystery, the tension, masterfully broken.

It was also one of the hardest laughs I’ve had at the movies, but was soundly beaten by Brad Pitt getting shot in the head only 30 or so minutes later.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Escobarbarian posted:

Criticker is the best for recommendations but it has a very outdated design
Seconding the Criticker endorsement. I've got a couple thousand movies ranked there and by now its rating estimates are scarily accurate.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

smug n stuff posted:

Unrelated but I saw broadcast TV ads for the first time in forever due to making the mistake of watching the golden globes on Tuesday. Keegan-Michael Key is doing an ad for Paramount+ in character as the substitute teacher and it is just wild how different his and Jordan Peele’s career trajectories have gone.

Some of the finest MadTV alums

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1613734397986881538

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

If that means I don't have to listen to something like Josstice League's soundtrack again, good.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Watched Children of Men the other night and it's complete bullshit that it doesn't have a 4k release. Movie still holds up and it's only 1h49m long? Different era of film making for sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rollos posted:

Watched Children of Men the other night and it's complete bullshit that it doesn't have a 4k release. Movie still holds up and it's only 1h49m long? Different era of film making for sure.

I still remember getting goosebumps from the Children of Men trailer that used Hoppipola by Sigur Ros. I knew it was just gonna be a good movie based on that choice alone, lmao. It worked so well with the imagery and the stakes being presented.

[edit] Yeah, this is the good stuff. Amazing trailer (the Sigur Ros track plays near the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VT2apoX90o

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 13, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

If that means I don't have to listen to something like Josstice League's soundtrack again, good.

Does it end up in your playlists or something? Lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone see Big Chungus yet

Can't say as I have.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s going to be hilarious when they have to pull everything off of hbo max because they can’t afford the music licensed in their shows anymore because of this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Can't say as I have.

what like in the wild

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did big chungus die at the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Did big chungus die at the end.

Mother of mercy, is this the end of Big Chungus?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ruddiger posted:

It’s going to be hilarious when they have to pull everything off of hbo max because they can’t afford the music licensed in their shows anymore because of this.

I’d be very surprised if shows aren’t delivered for a major network these days with all music cleared in perpetuity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mother of mercy, is this the end of Big Chungus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what like in the wild

That's what I'm guessing here.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
M3GAN was a delight. One of the things that I love that I don’t think you’d notice if you weren’t in the Pacific Northwest is that Katie’s parents are a very specific kind of annoying Portland couple. I have avoided these people at parties ever since I moved here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, like, I'd have presumed there was a very good reason the WB music library was owned by WB.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/RealScreenGeek/status/1613281340161400832?s=20&t=FcXazXQm92sh1NlrVgVadA

Starring Jim Cavaziel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Passion 2: Ecclesiastical Boogaloo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jim Cavaziel Jesus resurrecting after three days 20 years

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Passion 2: Ecclesiastical Boogaloo

2 Chaste 2 Meek

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Here's hoping that lightning strikes twice!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flying Zamboni posted:

Here's hoping that lightning strikes twice!

You mean for a third time?

E: actually the internet can't tell me for sure whether he got struck twice, or the director got struck twice, or what. Let's just say it's all bullshit but I still hope rear end in a top hat Caviezel suffers a hilarious and fatal set accident

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 13, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Jim Cavaziel Jesus resurrecting after three days 20 years

They should bring in Carano to be Mary Magdalene

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am rewatching Noah again because it's Noah, and that time skip from when Noah pledges to murder his grandchild if it's a girl to when Emma Watson is days away from giving birth has got to be glossing over the most awkward period of time in any movie ever.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Funny to see people get mad at this seemingly not understanding the difference between physical media and film preservation (to be clear, I don't know if that's what the tweet here is saying but def people were responding to this who seemed to not get it).

I don't really care about RLM but I watched the video and honestly, it's not that bad. It's making a salient point about the VHS speculation market being a scuzzy scam and ridiculing the absurdity of grading VHS tapes (at one point one of them notes you're basically qualifying the condition of the box anyway, for all you know that perfect condition shrinkwrapped copy of Jaws was sitting next to a magnet for 20 years and is unplayable).

The auction itself was for charity (split between St. Jude's and the Wisconsin Humane Society) and the tapes they destroyed were all in their own personal collection to start. It'd be the same as if they just tossed them in the trash, or donated to Goodwill where they will likely sit for a couple months before then being tossed in the trash. It's not like they sought out every single copy of Nukie in order to destroy it, there's probably plenty out there still including at least six current eBay auctions (though the prices, even at $70, are ridiculous for a piece of poo poo movie like that). Plus, if you want to watch it, it's easy enough to find online.

The real question is do any film prints still exist and what's the status on the negative? Maybe this video will create enough notoriety for the copyright holder to fund a restoration and Blu Ray release? Who knows! It's some disposable trash movie, I'm not in favor of allowing it to be lost to time, but a 100ish consumer-grade VHS copies getting shredded -- all of which were already in a single collection therefore limiting their availability -- doesn't affect its preservation or availability in any way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When you have all destroyed all your VHS tapes my secret stockpile of Disney Betamax tapes will be worth a fortune!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of old media I went to the video store today (the last remaining one in the city) to get a copy of The Keep to watch tonight. On the one hand I am happy and proud to support a local independent business and on the other hand I am pissed off for subscribing to several streaming services and none of them have what I want to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Keep was on Criterion Channel last month, shoulda caught it then