Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

T-Bone posted:

Do they though? They're a fun team to watch and they have some really solid pieces, but they're not as good as Pittsburgh or Washington as constituted.

It sure seemed that way five days ago. They are in a precarious position where a bad stretch would ruin their chances and then the past three games happened. Before Tuesday, they hadn’t lost consecutive games for a month.

They just have to keep scoring six goals a game, obviously!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jacob Vrana is getting healthy scratched in the AHL.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/01/11/grand-rapids-griffins-healthy-scratch-jakub-vrana/#more-436332

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It sure seemed that way five days ago. They are in a precarious position where a bad stretch would ruin their chances and then the past three games happened. Before Tuesday, they hadn’t lost consecutive games for a month.

They just have to keep scoring six goals a game, obviously!

What’s your punishment for the toxx ?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s your punishment for the toxx ?

I’ve been thinking about that. I guess I can get banned and then once I buy my account back, I will buy an avatar related to the team that gets the WC2 slot chosen by a fan of that team which I will keep until… the end of next season I guess?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
How about you skip that and instead, if you feel appropriate, donate to a given charity or organization for the WC2 team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxes are already meaningless here ever since we let whatis live anyway.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think you should have to get a buffalo sabres hat from the team store and then eat it on video. You may prepare it however you like and use any condiments, but the hat must be consumed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Happy Birthday to Connor McDavid. And also to me. Hopefully the next 40 years of my life has less decades of darkness, more boys on the bus + hangman games.

And I hope Nikolai Khabibulin is partying today for his birthday but not y'know, doing crimes after drinking again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AsInHowe posted:

The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

Who am I forgetting of the top 21?

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

You forgot Toews

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Happy Birthday to Connor McDavid. And also to me. Hopefully the next 40 years of my life has less decades of darkness, more boys on the bus + hangman games.

Happy birthday.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

How about you skip that and instead, if you feel appropriate, donate to a given charity or organization for the WC2 team.

That’s fine too. I had to do that for a battered women’s shelter in Pittsburgh after they beat Nashville in the finals. Sounds like I might be doing that again this year!

Edit: The Sabres have basically been out scoring their other issues, 19 of their wins were in games where they scored 4+ goals but they’ve only won once scoring fewer than 4 lol the last time they had trouble scoring they went on an 8-game losing streak, that would be the nail in the coffin of their playoff hopes if that happened again now.

In 2010-11 the Sabres were 30th in the League at Christmas and then somehow ended the season going 24-4-4 to make the playoffs against all odds. That team was worse than this one in almost every way, except they had Ryan Miller so :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

AsInHowe posted:

The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

Who am I forgetting of the top 21?

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

Surprised that they picked Brodeur 21st, just because this felt like a list where he'd rank higher. Also, very surprised that Dionne is rocketing up the list as much as he is. I really don't understand how he ranks above Trottier and Clarke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brodeur is 21 stone maybe.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Surprised that they picked Brodeur 21st, just because this felt like a list where he'd rank higher. Also, very surprised that Dionne is rocketing up the list as much as he is. I really don't understand how he ranks above Trottier and Clarke.

This is the exact type of list where Dionne gets ranked super high. Dude is like the all time poster boy for great players that get poo poo on for being on bad teams. Dude was #2 all time in points before Gretz obliterated him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

Brodeur’s Enterprise commercials dropped his rankings.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wheeler's bottom five prospect pool rankings own it's 4 perennial contenders / Cup favorites and the Vancouver Canucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Wheeler's bottom five prospect pool rankings own it's 4 perennial contenders / Cup favorites and the Vancouver Canucks.

lmao goddamn

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Our only first round pick in the past 3 years is currently stinking up the joint.

Don't let idiots sell the farm to save their jobs. Seems like super obvious advice to me, but that's what the Canucks did!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

T-Bone posted:

This surprises no Canuck fan

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The one Canucks related thing that kind of bums me out is Garland struggling this year, I really enjoyed watching him in Arizona. He would be perfect for the Devils tbh and his cap hit isn't that bad. Better then spending that money on loving Miles Wood anyway.

There were rumors the Devils were looking at him over the offseason, I wonder if Fitzgerald would have the balls to add another tiny man given their struggles vs big physical grinding teams.

e: also seems like it would be buying about as low as you can buy on the guy, I think if they do trade him to a good team he'll rebound pretty quick

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 13, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's easy to laugh at the Canucks prospects pool (and I will) but to be fair Hughes and Petersson are arguably prospect age, but not prospects because they're NHL stars. Boeser too, even, although he's struggled and definitely aged out of prospect status. So it's not like they're totally inept at drafting recently.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's easy to laugh at the Canucks prospects pool (and I will) but to be fair Hughes and Petersson are arguably prospect age, but not prospects because they're NHL stars. Boeser too, even, although he's struggled and definitely aged out of prospect status. So it's not like they're totally inept at drafting recently.

Hughes is 23
Pettersson in a 24
Boeser is 26 in a month.

They are not remotely prospect aged. Boeser is like 2 years from exiting his prime.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Most people generally consider 23 around the tail end of prospect aged. Hughes and Petersson turned 23 and 24 recently. I know that Boeser isn't a prospect but the 2015 draft was relatively recent and relevant to this current era of the Canucks being bad, I think.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
thinktank’s posts in this thread are like reading a Cormac McCarthy novel. is there a bleaker outlook for a franchise over the next five years in the big four sports leagues?

e: i tried to think of one. i can’t. even the loving Detroit Lions are in way better shape

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

thinktank’s posts in this thread are like reading a Cormac McCarthy novel. is there a bleaker outlook for a franchise over the next five years in the big four sports leagues?

e: i tried to think of one. i can’t. even the loving Detroit Lions are in way better shape

Detroit Tigers maybe?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 years.

he has 1 less ES point than Makar. same amount as Q. Hughes. More than Hamilton, Hedman, Josi, Theodore and a bunch of other guys. if he got 1st power play time he’d probably be on pace for like 55-60 points. they need to lock him up mega long term.

not sure how they’re going to untie the knot of their defense core over the next few years.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider

is a great, young, balanced top 4 that would be very cost effective for the value, especially with Lindgren/Schneider being more defensive.

i probably like big Jake better than 99% of the Rangers fan base but man it would be convenient if he wanted to move to Detroit or something over the next few years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All the lovely Horses

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
From an on-ice perspective the Ducks and Hawks are pretty woeful. Staggeringly bad. It's on purpose to get Bedard but I wonder how quickly they can turn that boat around even with him, and whichever one of them doesn't get him is gonna be in bad shape for a while yet.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Canucks are probably at the bottom, but as far as bleakest outlook over the next five years, depending on how this offseason goes with Sean McVay, the LA Rams could have an argument. Of course, the Rams did actually win the Super Bowl when they blew all their draft capital, unlike the Canucks, so... yeah. Bleakest outlook with least amount of success goes to the Canucks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

he has 1 less ES point than Makar. same amount as Q. Hughes. More than Hamilton, Hedman, Josi, Theodore and a bunch of other guys. if he got 1st power play time he’d probably be on pace for like 55-60 points. they need to lock him up mega long term.

not sure how they’re going to untie the knot of their defense core over the next few years.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider

is a great, young, balanced top 4 that would be very cost effective for the value, especially with Lindgren/Schneider being more defensive.

i probably like big Jake better than 99% of the Rangers fan base but man it would be convenient if he wanted to move to Detroit or something over the next few years.

It's cool that the Bruins traded Lindgren and the 26th pick, which the Rangers traded for the pick they got Miller with, for a handful of games of Rick Nash.

To be clear I am fine with that still. It was the right move for that Bruins team to make. But man, that trade worked out great for the Rangers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Most people generally consider 23 around the tail end of prospect aged. Hughes and Petersson turned 23 and 24 recently. I know that Boeser isn't a prospect but the 2015 draft was relatively recent and relevant to this current era of the Canucks being bad, I think.

No player born in the 90s should be considered a prospect anymore. The 2015 draft was 8 years ago. Eight years before that was 2007 when Kane was drafted first overall and the Hawks had won three cups and aged out by 2015. The window to win is quite narrow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah any of the several baseball teams that only exist to pad the schedules of real teams and their owners don't give a poo poo about even making a pretense of competing. Pirates, Marlins, Reds.

Ginette Reno posted:

From an on-ice perspective the Ducks and Hawks are pretty woeful. Staggeringly bad. It's on purpose to get Bedard but I wonder how quickly they can turn that boat around even with him, and whichever one of them doesn't get him is gonna be in bad shape for a while yet.

The Pens right before they got Crosby and Malkin were just as bad or very very nearly so, and were in the Finals four years later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A. Torts rules

B. Gotta give it , he has a good point.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah any of the several baseball teams that only exist to pad the schedules of real teams and their owners don't give a poo poo about even making a pretense of competing. Pirates, Marlins, Reds.

All of those teams have won multiple championships since the Canucks entered the NHL.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

If people are lining up for faceoffs wrong, wouldn't the easiest way to solve the problem be to show them a picture of how they lined up and tell them not to do that again? Like letting players watch their shift on their own might be counterproductive, but it seems like it would be a pretty good coaching tool unless he's also saying coaches shouldn't be giving any feedback to players in game...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Canucks deserve their lifetime of misery for letting Boston win a Cup and making Luongo sad. :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider

yeah I think they gotta move Trouba eventually unless the cap skyrockets. Schneider is already basically providing equal value on the ice.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's cool that the Bruins traded Lindgren and the 26th pick, which the Rangers traded for the pick they got Miller with, for a handful of games of Rick Nash.

To be clear I am fine with that still. It was the right move for that Bruins team to make. But man, that trade worked out great for the Rangers.

Lindgren is funny. I don't think he'd really hold down a top D spot without being paired with Fox but they work real well together. He's playing quite well this year and is a bargain for a guy who can play with Fox like that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It certainly makes the McDonaugh/Miller(lol) trade easier to stomach.

Edit:

Levitate posted:

yeah I think they gotta move Trouba eventually unless the cap skyrockets. Schneider is already basically providing equal value on the ice.

Lindgren is funny. I don't think he'd really hold down a top D spot without being paired with Fox but they work real well together. He's playing quite well this year and is a bargain for a guy who can play with Fox like that.

Schneider's nickname is Baby Trouba and it checks out. He's been great in the recent run.

And I get big Leetch/Beukeboom vibes from Fox/Lindgren.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 13, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

Even at the time Bruins fans thought he was a good prospect, maybe top-4 potential, but he was still kind of a throw in piece. I don't think anyone knew he'd turn out as good as he has. At the time they had Grzelcyk, Zboril, Lauzon, and Vaakanainen ahead of him as more promising prospects. In retrospect I'd rather have Lindgren than any of those guys besides Grzelcyk, but who knows if he would have developed the same in Boston as he has with the Rangers. I think part of the reason New York wanted him is because he played with Fox a lot on the USNTDP (I think he did, anyway) and obviously that worked out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

All of those teams have won multiple championships since the Canucks entered the NHL.

I feel for you, but the question was what teams have the bleakest near-future outlooks