Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shez is good and I wish they were the protagonist of a mainline game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I never finished three houses, I got just before the... Time skip? And stopped. I will probably go back later on, but I didn't like the persona aspects because it makes me metagame it hard, cause I do not replay games anymore, and I didn't like I couldn't just grind to my heart's content like in awakening, which was :perfect:

I ordered this so maybe this one will stick

Turns out there's a bug that *does* let you grind forever.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Levantine posted:

Hell yeah, Radiant Dawn number one 4lyfe.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with my best friends Micaiah and Ike.

:hmmyes:

Waiting for news of the Begnion Engage DLC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

I think I'd probably rate the games I played like this

Still think Awakening is probably my favorite FE period. I also think Birthright is probably the best Fates gets and I give it a lot of points for having fun new spins on classes/aesthetics even if it flubs almost everything else. It helps that I think it has a pretty boring but overall passable story compared to Rev/Conquest. So its Shadow Dragon tier instead of being at the absolute bottom :v:

I haven't played a lot of them but Awakening/Por/3H/All of Fates are exactly where I'd sit them. So good job clone.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

marshmallow creep posted:

I never got to play Radiant Dawn

You got a whole week to remedy that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Radiant Dawn is polite enough to let you know what bullshit you're in for from Chapter 1, where they give you and archer with....Cancel.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’m a baby so the only fire emblems I’ve played are Awakening, Birthright, Three Houses, and the two musous. So the order is

Awakening
Three Hopes
Three Houses
FE Warriors
Birthright

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Choosing to judge people's rankings entirely on where they put Sacred Stones and Echoes

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Think my order is:

Top Tier: Binding, Awakening, 3H
High Tier: Sacred Stones, RD, PoR, New Mystery
Mid Tier: Conquest, Blazing, Shadow Dragon
Low Tier: Birthright
Never Played: FE1/3, Thracia, Echoes, Gaiden
Played, Couldn’t Finish: Genealogy, Revelation

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

S through B are the Good Games Zone with increasing flaws down the list, C is degrees of "there's some neat stuff here but the implementation is not great," D is "I don't find these ones fun at loving all but they've at least got positive points" and down at the bottom Shadow Dragon is just a completely dogshit game. Positions within a given tier are entirely arbitrary.

Original versions of 1-3 unranked because I haven't played those.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I can never settle on a favorite FE. I guess I could say that FEs 3, 8, 9, 10 and 15 are the ones I really enjoy, with 8 and 10 as my biggest favorites. 4 to 7 and 11 I usually need either save states or hacking to have fun with (curse my perfectionist streak for needing filled-out supports for every unit), 16 is this weird trainwreck where all the ideas I enjoy are ones that the game itself doesn't support consistently, I haven't played 1 or 2, and 12 to 14 are games I have grudges with.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 13, 2023

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

did people sour on 3H over time? because I remember initial impressions were very positive

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's a game where the signature feature wears out its welcome about three quarters of the way through the first playthrough

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's baseline difficulty options were on the easier side with Maddening, which only came via dlc well after launch being a substantial step up. As well the tactical gameplay could become sludge with the free reclassing and terrible balance in approach where one option is just clearly superior.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zoran posted:

It's a game where the signature feature wears out its welcome about three quarters of the way through the first playthrough

yeah the decision to keep the monastery post timeskip is very questionable

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

babypolis posted:

did people sour on 3H over time? because I remember initial impressions were very positive

I mean I liked right until I burnt the gently caress out right after the time skip and I haven't touched it since, but a lot of that is on me because I insisted on recruiting everyone on normal difficulty.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really loved three houses, enough for five playthroughs, but I went back for a sixth recently and discovered I could not handle it again. But that's a pretty high bar tbh. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly it has its flaws but it's up there with my favourite FEs (FE4, Echoes).

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

On top of monastery stuff, after a few playthroughs you get really loving tired of White Clouds for being, aside from the alternate final chapter Crimson Flower gets, being exactly the same for every route while taking up half the drat game. And while I like reclassing in general and 3H's full customization in theory, it kinda falls apart when you realize there's a small handful of worthwhile generic end classes and that unless you're running some wild gimmick build everyone wants to make the same pitstops for Death/Fiendish Blow, Darting Blow for girls, and maybe Hit+20 if you can swing it/are on Maddening. Tack on the Prowess Tax and everyone ends up pretty same-y by endgame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You're asking the .0001% of the population that did multiple playthroughs of the longest fire emblem game if they liked it enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you put book 1 and book 2 together mystery might be longer. depends how efficient you are about monastery stuff ig.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Surely an RD playthrough is longer than a 3 Houses one, even with the Monestary?

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
It's always a little wild to me to hear people talk about White Clouds/timeskip Monastery as some grueling affair when after like the second play through I would just spam Seminars every week from then on.

If you felt obligated to do the full monastery lap + chores every month on every playthrough I could understand it becoming agonizing, but the game gives you options to just...not do that lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the game gives you options to not do that but they're objectively inferior and will leave your units lagging behind to an extent that it will make maddening noticeably harder.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Surely an RD playthrough is longer than a 3 Houses one, even with the Monestary?

howlongtobeat.com gives 42 hours for Main Story for RD and 47 for 3H. So they're pretty comparable, though 3H is definitely more geared around repeat playthroughs than RD.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Fair enough but like, you can also use the NG+ buybacks on Maddening to fill in any gaps as well.

For like a fresh Maddening playthrough I guess you're out of luck, but I feel like if you're just there for the gameplay aspects, there's no real harm in skipping the middleman with a NG+ save.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I came around on 3 Houses but it was really disappointing to see that White Clouds was the same between houses (I started with Blue Lions, then quit and later started as Golden Deer)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

3 Houses is good but has many flaws both mentioned and unmentioned. I am still bitter Verdant Wind and Silver Snow are nigh identical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Notty posted:

Fair enough but like, you can also use the NG+ buybacks on Maddening to fill in any gaps as well.

For like a fresh Maddening playthrough I guess you're out of luck, but I feel like if you're just there for the gameplay aspects, there's no real harm in skipping the middleman with a NG+ save.
yeah but i dont want to have to cheat just to get around a game's core design failing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WrightOfWay posted:

howlongtobeat.com gives 42 hours for Main Story for RD and 47 for 3H. So they're pretty comparable, though 3H is definitely more geared around repeat playthroughs than RD.

RD does have some stuff locked to your second playthrough like Pelleas for some reason.:v:

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah but i dont want to have to cheat just to get around a game's core design failing

I suppose it comes down to perspective, because from my point of view, being allowed to skip tedium by cheating owns lmao

I get your point, I guess I’m just less bothered by the tools they give you to circumvent them

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I love 3H but I like replaying FE a lot and my favourites are ones that I can constantly go back to. 3H has messy class balance and diluted uniqueness between characters, is an absolute pushover on any difficulty besides Maddening and the monastary just sucks. The map design is also a bit hit or miss. There’s still tons to love but it doesn’t reach the heights of Thracia or Path of Radiance when it comes to actually playing the game.

Bring back the multiple rosters you switch between from Radiant Dawn that poo poo ruled

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 14, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RevolverDivider posted:

I love 3H but I like replaying FE a lot and my favourites are ones that I can constantly go back to. 3H has messy class balance and diluted uniqueness between characters, is an absolute pushover on any difficulty besides Maddening and the monastary just sucks. The map design is also a bit hit or miss. There’s still tons to love but it doesn’t reach the heights of Thracia or Path of Radiance when it comes to actually playing the game.

Bring back the multiple rosters you switch between from Radiant Dawn that poo poo ruled

Just make it so one of the rosters wasn't dogshit, if I want to play Thracia I'll play Thracia

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Love to spend half and hour at the start of Part 4 agonizing over which team gets saddled with the Dawn Brigade B-listers.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I don't really consider using the tools the game gives you to speed up repeat playthroughs to be cheating.

3H really does become a slog on replay though. Part of it is my own inability to just let go and skip things. I hate just leaving a new dialouge marker on the map!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the game is not balacned around the newgame+ stuff at all and gauging exactly what benchmarks you'd be at if you were playing the game 'legit' every chapter is a pain in the rear end. i want to play the balanced video game by just hitting 'new game,' not having to gauge exactly what balance would be or engaging with the tedium of the monastery.

im not saying you cheated not only the game, but yourself, just that i, personally, want the balance of the intended progression speed.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

Love to spend half and hour at the start of Part 4 agonizing over which team gets saddled with the Dawn Brigade B-listers.

Just keep them with Micky. Anyone who doesn't get benched either hides behind the Falcoknights and Dracoknights in 4-P or gets stuck at spawn with Skrimir in 4-3. Besides, my Nolan and Aran have usually managed to be passable walls if nothing else.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I wish the Dawn Brigade was better but also I think they have the most fun chapters in the game

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
All it'd take to make the Daein party better is a few more chapters of growth, removing most of the force-deploys and all the perma-benchings, and give Micaiah and crew some leadership stars as the game progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe10 would be a much, much worse video game if the dawn brigade was good. they could have done with more chapters so they could keep up in endgame without favoritism but the fact that they're underpowered leads to the most fun gameplay in the series.