Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s a dumb commercial aimed at “””real””” Americans who identify with their trucks and guns.

Well, the original ones are for sure, I'd say the Ukrainian version is pretty successful at lampooning the debate over tanks vs anti air vs mobile artillery and simultaneously selling the message "what are you guys gonna do with all of those anyway" while also appropriating an earworm that every adult in America below retirement age will immediately recognize to ensure social media shares and email forwards and such.

It certainly seems in line with the thread zeitgeist around the issue, and effectively bundles the points that seem perennial in this thread without being especially wordy

It helps that you can interpret it as either "we want to be more American" or "America wants to be all world police and yeehaw cowboys up until someone actually asks for help"

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

I have a feeling Ukraine’s media team has more than one American educated member who is intimately familiar with the culture

Ukraine has a number of Western PR firms doing pro bono work for them--I don't think they necessarily need their own experts on American culture:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/04/hottest-k-street-trend-working-ukraine-pro-bono/
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-influence/2022/08/26/what-pr-firms-are-doing-for-ukraines-ministry-of-culture-00053979

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scapegoat posted:

I was chatting to a French friend who is a GP who started a practice a few years ago and she mentioned the energy prices for her practice were getting quite high (she specifically mentioned the war). She's certainly not cheer leading for Russia so it worried me a bit that the prices were high enough that she mentioned it when discussing how the practice was going.
I don't know what she needs fossil gas for at a GP practice but electricity prices have been capped in france. Macron knows it's that or riots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ryan Mcbeth did a 10min YT vid on those Ukrainian soldiers killed in their OP a few days ago.

Only shows still images with everything blanked (it's just him talking, powerpoint) off but i would consider the topic being discussed :nms: for anyone previously involved in combat.

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vx0sVcPojg :nms:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Ryan Mcbeth did a 10min YT vid on those Ukrainian soldiers killed in their OP a few days ago.

Only shows still images with everything blanked (it's just him talking, powerpoint) off but i would consider the topic being discussed :nms: for anyone previously involved in combat.

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vx0sVcPojg :nms:

This the "We're friendly!" one with suspected Wagner?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Yes.

Who is this guy? He name checks Dave Grossman in his video which is... troubling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes.

Who is this guy? He name checks Dave Grossman in his video which is... troubling

Looks like a random ex-military OSINT enthusiast.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes.

No idea who Grossman is.

Been following McBeth for a while, he was anti-tank infantry, sorry if his associations are actually toxic.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Grossman is the "Killology" guy. Despite never having been in combat, he made a career teaching American cops how to psychologically prepare themselves to kill.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-man-who-teaches-our-cops-63257870/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah it's difficult to overstate it. There were well over a billion shells fired just on the western front. There were battles where half a million shells were fired in 30 minutes. It's mind-boggling.

Just to give more of an idea of scale, at the peak of the joint in this war the Russians were firing about 20,000 shells a day across the entire front. In World War I there was a six-day bombardment in preparation for the second battle of Artois on about a ten mile front that expended 350,000 shells per day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just to give more of an idea of scale, at the peak of the joint in this war the Russians were firing about 20,000 shells a day across the entire front. In World War I there was a six-day bombardment in preparation for the second battle of Artois on about a ten mile front that expended 350,000 shells per day.

Peak was closer to 70k shells/day estimated, with 20k being the ongoing estimate according to Ukrainians, but your point on orders of magnitude remains valid - I’m just adding my footnote to the numbers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would be helpful to also compare the explosive power between the ammunition, which is more useful than solely the volume of shells used.

As an example, people often like to compare the sorties conducted in WWII for bombing missions and the number of planes involved, compared to recent conflicts, but it takes approximately 15 B-17s or between 6-14 B-29s (depending on altitude) to equal a single B-52.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Scratch Monkey posted:

Grossman is the "Killology" guy. Despite never having been in combat, he made a career teaching American cops how to psychologically prepare themselves to kill.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-man-who-teaches-our-cops-63257870/

It cannot be emphasized enough how loving vile this poo poo dick is, and how much of a model he has become for the police community. There's video out there of him saying that you'll have the best sex of your life after killing a perp.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

SourKraut posted:

It would be helpful to also compare the explosive power between the ammunition, which is more useful than solely the volume of shells used.

The 155mm shell was standard then and now, but there were also much larger sizes of heavy artillery (since you needed a lot more explosive due to the lower accuracy) that are no longer used, so probably the WW1 stuff is more explosive per shell on average.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

saratoga posted:

The 155mm shell was standard then and now, but there were also much larger sizes of heavy artillery (since you needed a lot more explosive due to the lower accuracy) that are no longer used, so probably the WW1 stuff is more explosive per shell on average.

[citation needed]

while there were absolute monster guns, the main calibres were 75-84mm and 120mm was already on the large end of the scale.

155mm was actually rare in WW1.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
And 203mm is still in use in this very war.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

[citation needed]

while there were absolute monster guns, the main calibres were 75-84mm and 120mm was already on the large end of the scale.

Field artillery is big until you compare it to naval artillery, 120mm would be secondary armament or only suitable for anti-aircraft for a lot of ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

[citation needed]

Not really, both sides had some 150-155mm calibre gun that got regularly used. Going through this list I'm also amazed at how many different monster guns were used and how many specifically by the Mittelmächte.

Trying to figure out how much explosive weight those guns send out combined must be a terror to calculate, the Gamma Mörser (420mm) for example was built 10 times, but was part of a series of mega-siege cannons that ranged from the Dicke Bertha (420mm) to the Beta-Gerät (305mm). All types had different emplacement times, ranging from 24 hours for the Gamma Mörser to only 5-6 hours for the Dicke Bertha, and the six types have three different rates of fire, going from Dicke Bertha (8 shots per hour) up to the Beta-Gerät, which could fire 15 shells per hour.

I really don't want to be the one getting stuck with a calculator trying to find out how all those different super-guns and their usage worked out in practice.

So while the sheer size of the big guns probably still has not much of an effect due to the sheer number of smaller models outnumbering them, the 150 and 155mm models were probably built in enough numbers to skew the combined mass of the explosive weight flying through the air upwards a lot.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Field artillery is big until you compare it to naval artillery, 120mm would be secondary armament or only suitable for anti-aircraft for a lot of ships.

One of the main limitations for field artillery is being able to load the drat thing without having to resort to cranes and other contraptions. Or unless they make sone land battleship wanderwuffe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At the risk of continuing this derail the vast majority of guns on the Western Front were about 3” guns. Now, 4”-6” guns are much more common. And the power of a shell increases more like the square of the diameter. It’s not linear. So there’s absolutely more bang being put down range per shell nowadays, in addition to the improved properties of explosives.

The point about volume of explosives is valid for combat power, but UXO clearance is equally difficult for a 75mm vs a 152mm round, which is how I think we got on to this topic. We aren’t going to see a France style iron harvest for a wide variety of reasons but the first is sheer volume.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If the target was tough enough the Brits would wheel out these motherfuckers which were the same caliber as those on the Queen Elizabeth class dreadnoughts, which were the pride of His Majesty's fleet.

"I say, Brigadier, I'm in awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit."

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 14, 2023

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Some of those big siege cannons like the railroad car mounted guns the Germans used had such an intense pressure wave from firing them that the operators had to keep their mouths open during firing to avoid blowing out their ear drums.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Basically if a front line becomes static long enough it becomes a playground for really, really heavy artillery. Because if you can't shift the front using the guns you have right now, a bigger gun might just do the job.

And I'm not sure what level of irony this is on, but Ukraine could probably get a lot of use out of a modern Heavy Gustav if they had one.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 14, 2023

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The Independent is reporting that Sunak has authorised a Challenger squadron to be sent to Ukraine

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It has only now been revealed that Russian warships jammed GPS in Danish waters a week after the Nord Stream explosions, causing six civilian ships (including two passenger ferries) to lose position signal momentarily. This was covered up at the time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HthHans/status/1613514931848060928

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Paracausal posted:

The Independent is reporting that Sunak has authorised a Challenger squadron to be sent to Ukraine

Tanks, but not soldiers as your post implied

[e: You made my heart jump. lol]

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1614192433226473474

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paracausal posted:

The BBC just confirmed it as well.

Hopefully Sunak didn't actually say "We're sending Ukraine Challenger, two tanks."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Countdown to Russia releasing reports of a destroyed UK armoured corps

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

It has only now been revealed that Russian warships jammed GPS in Danish waters a week after the Nord Stream explosions, causing six civilian ships (including two passenger ferries) to lose position signal momentarily. This was covered up at the time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HthHans/status/1613514931848060928

No, this was not covered up. Danish media reported it back then, and I also linked those articles in this thread back then. I think the number reported was lower back then, but it is not new that Russian ships do things like this in or near Danish waters. They also threatened at least one (essentially unarmed) coast guard vessel by training various ship-mounted weapons at them - prompting air deterrence to be sent towards the situation. For months we've been one accident, misunderstanding or overzealous individual away from an armed incident between the Russian navy and a NATO country. I'm sure cooler heads would work hard to defuse and de-escalate even such an event did happen - but Russia is effecting a naval stance which increases the risk of escalation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Basically if a front line becomes static long enough it becomes a playground for really, really heavy artillery. Because if you can't shift the front using the guns you have right now, a bigger gun might just do the job.

And I'm not sure what level of irony this is on, but Ukraine could probably get a lot of use out of a modern Heavy Gustav if they had one.

I disagree. Such immobile assets are extremely vulnerable to counterbattery fire nowadays. If it cannot move, it dies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PederP posted:

No, this was not covered up. Danish media reported it back then, and I also linked those articles in this thread back then. I think the number reported was lower back then, but it is not new that Russian ships do things like this in or near Danish waters. They also threatened at least one (essentially unarmed) coast guard vessel by training various ship-mounted weapons at them - prompting air deterrence to be sent towards the situation. For months we've been one accident, misunderstanding or overzealous individual away from an armed incident between the Russian navy and a NATO country. I'm sure cooler heads would work hard to defuse and de-escalate even such an event did happen - but Russia is effecting a naval stance which increases the risk of escalation.

I stand corrected! Politiken talks about a cover up in its headline, but I can't access the story because paywall.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Does sending 12 tanks make a difference? It seems like both sides have gone through massive heaps of armor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Does sending 12 tanks make a difference? It seems like both sides have gone through massive heaps of armor.

In and of itself, no. The point is it break the ice and shame others into sending Leopards or Abrams.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...obox=1673697791

Jack Watling wrote an article about the support requirements for Western tanks.

quote:

Despite these sound operational reasons for providing Ukraine with armour, the provision of Nato-designed main battle tanks presents some major challenges. The Leopard 2, weighing about 69 tonnes, and Challenger 2, weighing 72 tonnes, are more than 20 tonnes heavier than the Soviet-designed main battle tanks currently operated by Ukraine. There is little Ukrainian infrastructure along which such heavy vehicles can travel, while their engineering and recovery vehicles are optimised to support Soviet designs. Putting aside the training needed to maintain and fight with Nato-designed tanks, they would also need to be provided alongside combat engineering and mobility support vehicles if they were to be employable at any scale.

It is this requirement for enablers that poses hard choices on Nato members wanting to offer Ukraine their vehicles. After the cold war, frontline tank fleets declined significantly, while the cutbacks in bridging, breaching and transport and recovery vehicles have been even more severe. Most countries operate the bare minimum of these vehicles to meet their Nato commitments and even in these small fleets vehicle unavailability due to low maintenance is a problem because of underinvestment during the “war on terror”.

https://twitter.com/elisabethmalom1/status/1613871615728549888?s=20

The linked article is paywalled, but the twitter thread has a summary.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Challengers are supposedly VERY survivable as well from what I have read. I am sure a tanker can give more accurate information about this but just like the Abrams there were reports of them taking dozens of RPG and anti-tank rounds and shrugging them off in Iraq.

In the grand scheme of things a dozen doesn't mean a whole lot, they would likely be used for training, but between shaming the Germans and Americans into giving their platforms and when/if the UK gives more a single Challenger is likely worth several T-72s in terms of capability and survivability. A situation where T-72s likely wouldn't survive a Challenger or Abrams would. Also you have a much more accurate gun on them so you are able to hit more precise shots from presumably longer ranges.

I am sure a tanker can elaborate on this or correct what I am misinformed about.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes and no... It's a small number of tanks in a relatively large frontage. On the other hand, a tank company is a pretty normal element to select as a brigade reserve element, whether on offense or defense. Can rapidly reposition to where they're needed and provide a lot of firepower when they get there compared to trucks slowly making their way or even a mech infantry unit showing up similarly fast, but when they get there, their firepower is pretty limited.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If a bunch of challengers show up at any battle I imagine that one specific battle would be a massive propaganda victory for Ukraine. Demonstrating they can use it responsibly and win on a tactical level then opens up the doors for a large shipment of leopards or Abrams.

So far the fighting with all the Soviet level equipment, smorgasbords of MRAPs, small arms and AT weapons and random assorted artillery doesn’t have quite the same impact psychologically as seeing a western MBT ploughed through a wall take RPG hits and then wreck some T-72s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Yes and no... It's a small number of tanks in a relatively large frontage. On the other hand, a tank company is a pretty normal element to select as a brigade reserve element, whether on offense or defense. Can rapidly reposition to where they're needed and provide a lot of firepower when they get there compared to trucks slowly making their way or even a mech infantry unit showing up similarly fast, but when they get there, their firepower is pretty limited.

That small amount of equipment is also going to suffer way more drastically from normal operational losses. If half of a tank brigade have worn out engines and need repairs, the other half is still a capable force. But when the same happens to a company of 12 tanks, you don't have much operational capacity left. It is more fragile.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not about overwhelming the might of russia, it's about sending a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

If a bunch of challengers show up at any battle I imagine that one specific battle would be a massive propaganda victory for Ukraine. Demonstrating they can use it responsibly and win on a tactical level then opens up the doors for a large shipment of leopards or Abrams.

So far the fighting with all the Soviet level equipment, smorgasbords of MRAPs, small arms and AT weapons and random assorted artillery doesn’t have quite the same impact psychologically as seeing a western MBT ploughed through a wall take RPG hits and then wreck some T-72s.

This boldly assumes Ukraine will use them successfully at that battle and not lose them to a sustained Russian artillery barrage after it threw a track due to driving into a muddy ditch that was deeper than expected. Because that is how most tanks have been knocked out for both sides in this conflict, and I really doubt that any western MBTs will get more glamorous fates.