Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq82KOfp3w

New short gameplay footage. Nothing interesting, but, I wanted to say how much I really like that the battle map is more or less accurate to the overview map. Even the little fence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq82KOfp3w

New short gameplay footage. Nothing interesting, but, I wanted to say how much I really like that the battle map is more or less accurate to the overview map. Even the little fence!
funfact, there's little details like fences and bushes and stuff that sometimes get destroyed in combat, and these are reflected on the overview map. these arent actual terrain features so its not really a gameplay thing, just a cute detail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the dub sounds surprisingly decent. i was a little worried with the lighter tone that the direction would be bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

funfact, there's little details like fences and bushes and stuff that sometimes get destroyed in combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcm1nJrBqD0

Gonna sue Marth for property damage

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Endorph posted:

also the dub sounds surprisingly decent. i was a little worried with the lighter tone that the direction would be bad.

I expect it's Cup of Tea again; they've done every Fire Emblem game and spinoff since Awakening except Fates (and #TMS, obviously). Vander and Clanne sound like Patrick Seitz and Christian La Monte respectively, who directed Three Houses and Three Hopes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took up the baton again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bravesword posted:

I expect it's Cup of Tea again; they've done every Fire Emblem game and spinoff since Awakening except Fates (and #TMS, obviously)
oh, that explains why i was thinking specifically of fates's VAing being bad, lol

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

oh, that explains why i was thinking specifically of fates's VAing being bad, lol

It's not like they had anything to work with in that game.

Though I have to wonder why people only bring up the "acting disconnected lines with zero context" thing with this game and not any other Nintendo dubs like Xenoblade 2 clearly was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the JP VAs managed decent combat barks and such at least

ofc the tl of fates was also pretty bad so hard to blame the VAs. war is heck.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I wish I had insight for what localization was like for both FE14 and FE11 so I could understand why one was good and the other was bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fates was done by treehouse at the peak of them huffing their own farts. also fates' script was like 10x as long as shadow dragon's.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah this game looks fuckin great. Switch has been priming everyone for it since Triangle Strategy last February. What a year for SRPGs.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah this game looks fuckin great. Switch has been priming everyone for it since Triangle Strategy last February. What a year for SRPGs.

And yet the remake of a 15 year old game that's a remake of a 30 year old game still gonna be the best of the year :V

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Supremezero posted:

And yet the remake of a 15 year old game that's a remake of a 30 year old game still gonna be the best of the year :V

Yes

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Can the year of srpg's get extended to summer? Cuz they just leaked an fft remaster for summer

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

Can the year of srpg's get extended to summer? Cuz they just leaked an fft remaster for summer

who is they and where

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

who is they and where

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ff-anniversary-presentation-leak-rumor.675496/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ah man, fingers crossed but that's a lot of info that feels like Uncle Nintendo stuff. FFX-3? I'm in but I'll also believe it when I see it.

I do like the "Stories from Ivalice" title for the possible remake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

So from what I've gathered it's basically:

1. The story as is, seems focused entirely on a fun romp through the world of Fire Emblem without real stakes because it's intended as an anniversary game. Contrasted with the grounded tone of Three Houses and the ambition of that game's story, even if the execution was off, the regression back to a by the numbers plot is disappointing.

I'm a fairweather Fire Emblem fan that couldn't tell you what any game is without the subtitle so iust be missing something. So, what're the other games with the supremely bad stories that'll get you beaten up or ridiculed by passerbys that people seem paranoid about?

I mean, I just wasn't paying attention to any of the conversations when Three Houses was new and hot on the scene so I missed many of the arguments on the internet, and someone eventually revealing military information on Fire Emblem forums to win the arguments and going to jail as a result.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's really petty but god drat the half second delay before a unit's model pops in when you mouse over them is annoying

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Ah man, fingers crossed but that's a lot of info that feels like Uncle Nintendo stuff. FFX-3? I'm in but I'll also believe it when I see it.

I do like the "Stories from Ivalice" title for the possible remake.

Not that this is the thread for it, but FFX-3 has been trying to happen for YEARS. Actually the only thing in there that's a surprise is WOFF, mostly this is just release windows for things we've been hearing about for the past year or more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Supremezero posted:

Not that this is the thread for it, but FFX-3 has been trying to happen for YEARS. Actually the only thing in there that's a surprise is WOFF, mostly this is just release windows for things we've been hearing about for the past year or more.

Are they going with the pitch that starts with Tidus blowing himself up kicking a bomb because he thought it looked like a Blitzball

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

will that ff9 anime ever actually happen

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a fairweather Fire Emblem fan that couldn't tell you what any game is without the subtitle so iust be missing something. So, what're the other games with the supremely bad stories that'll get you beaten up or ridiculed by passerbys that people seem paranoid about?

I mean, I just wasn't paying attention to any of the conversations when Three Houses was new and hot on the scene so I missed many of the arguments on the internet, and someone eventually revealing military information on Fire Emblem forums to win the arguments and going to jail as a result.

the one with the plot that people really really hate is just fates but there's no real sign that engage is going to be anything like that. three houses had a lot more depth and complexity to its plot than usual for fe (despite some of its issues) so people are just understandably disappointed that engage isn't continuing on from that.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I wish RevolverDivide was here. I have a question to ask him.

RareAcumen posted:

The really bad game that everyone bashes for the story is really just Fates. Awakening, New Mystery, Echoes, Three Houses and Radiant Dawn also have issues that people needle at, but not nearly as much as people criticize Fates.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 14, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

which is a weird comparison to make because fates' issue was not remotely that it was a simple 'kill evil dragon' story. its that it wanted to have more complexity than that and a weird sense of moral grayness/stakes but the setting was insanely underdeveloped and it ultimately did boil down to 'kill evil dragon,' as an excuse to make it so none of the main characters were bad guys. see also 'corrin doesnt kill anyone' in conquest.

in engage's case the villains seem like cartoonish bad guys up front and the story is just moving forward with that idea. alear openly talks about how shes gonna kill the generic evil general boss of chapter 6 or whatever. which is fine because they're from the Evil People Country. im sure there'll be a few lines about how they dont like needless killing or w/e but its a pretty obviously different dynamic from fates, where the hoshidans were decent people in their own route so conquest corrin had to be contorted to not kill them, and how the final boss of both routes still had to be evil dragon (who you only get to properly kill in revelations, please buy the DLC).

engage may or may not be a bad plot but it won't have any of the flaws Fates had because it isn't remotely doing the same things as Fates.

also honestly i enjoy three houses but i think people really forget how terrible the minute-to-minute plotting can be in it at times. like how in deer and silver snow dimitri just kinda dies off screen and it isnt a fakeout, one of the main characters just falls off a cliff stage left. they couldnt even animate an in engine cutscene of edelgard swinging her axe at him and him falling over dead?

and three houses still has the same 'introduce a problem out of nowhere, resolve it immediately' issue fates had. it has actual worldbuilding and interesting characters but i would not say the plotting is much better outside of being willing to let the characters actually do questionable things.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 14, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it does seem like fates 2 in a lot of ways though. The sort of ancillary base, the new take on pair-up, the limited but still existent reclassing, manakete main character, etc

the plot doesn't really seem similar except in the ways all FEs have similar plots, though. Just interesting to see them return to the same ideas in a different way

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RareAcumen posted:

People hate Fates. But that's because the entire thing is just a loving mess from top to bottom.

Three Houses and its plot have a level of ambition to them. It's not ambition that is completely fulfilled but christ did Intsys have a real go of it.

(It's helped by Three Hopes essentially allowing Intsys to address lots of the things they couldn't get to the first time)

I think a lot of people would have enjoyed a game of that same ambition but done even better rather than dialling things back because that scope is too hard.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

also honestly i enjoy three houses but i think people really forget how terrible the minute-to-minute plotting can be in it at times. like how in deer and silver snow dimitri just kinda dies off screen and it isnt a fakeout, one of the main characters just falls off a cliff stage left. they couldnt even animate an in engine cutscene of edelgard swinging her axe at him and him falling over dead?

FE16's production values are really shoddy and make me appreciate the sprite era way more.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Natural 20 posted:

(It's helped by Three Hopes essentially allowing Intsys to address lots of the things they couldn't get to the first time)

Did IS write Three Hopes, or did Koei-Tecmo?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Delphisage posted:

Did IS write Three Hopes, or did Koei-Tecmo?

Cursory googling doesn't give a clear picture.

Developer credits are to Intsys and Omega Force, which are Nintendo/KT respectively, so I'd imagine pretty strong contribution from Intsys on the plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

intsys did next to nothing on three houses or three hopes. if you look at the credits for both games 99% of the development staff is kt/omega force people. programmers, writers, etc. theres the director/producer roles that are intsys guys but by and large it seems like the game was fairly outsourced. three hopes' credits list is largely similar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played FE on GBA whatever that was and then didn't play it until three houses. I'll miss the three houses style I really enjoyed the team building and story elements of the game, but I also like the gameplay and number go up so this is going to be good for me even if I don't know who all the fan service characters are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well half of them are in smash brothers if that helps

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
three houses just had a lot of compelling threads through it even if the actual execution of the plot was fairly middling (occasionally good, often bad). it seemed to just crumble under the ambition of having four routes and put resources into all the wrong places regarding the plot.

Natural 20 posted:

I think a lot of people would have enjoyed a game of that same ambition but done even better rather than dialling things back because that scope is too hard.
i like the world-building and the depth of the characters, but dialing back the ambition would likely be necessary to execute it reasonably - four routes was a straight up mistake and it's very clear they ended up having to significantly cut corners due to that. cut down white clouds a bit (since not much too important happens there) and only have two routes (an expanded crimson flower, and something between azure moon/silver snow) and you could have had something with reduced ambition but significantly more focused and better executed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crimson flower was a last minute addition which really shows how much of a scramble three houses was because can you imagine that game *without* crimson flower lmao

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

intsys did next to nothing on three houses or three hopes. if you look at the credits for both games 99% of the development staff is kt/omega force people. programmers, writers, etc. theres the director/producer roles that are intsys guys but by and large it seems like the game was fairly outsourced. three hopes' credits list is largely similar.

The truth is it will be revealed IntSys also did nothing on Engage, except this time it will have been made by Gust and have more lesbian endings than every single game in the series together.

(Disclaimer: I never played Atelier so not sure how much male gay it has).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Supremezero posted:

Which game are you talking about? A game from 1993 that had a remake 15 years later? I'm not getting it :(

Edit: Three Houses could have been an all time great if the execution were better. There's still a ton of things to like about Three Houses conceptually, and the game does pull of moral complexity without easy answers reasonably well. It's too bad that gameplay is one of the weaknesses of Three Houses, specifically if you play it multiple times. Which is fatal in a game that encourages you to check out all of the multiple routes.

Tyranny had a similar problem of the prologue before you lock in your route not being the best, but said prologue was far, far shorter both in absolute length and as a percentage of a total run than White Clouds is for Three Houses. Which made the problem much less severe.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 14, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The truth is it will be revealed IntSys also did nothing on Engage, except this time it will have been made by Gust and have more lesbian endings than every single game in the series together.

I would buy a dozen copies and give them away to strangers on the street if this was true

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

3 houses was very good and I think ultimately a lot of the weaknesses in plotting get smoothed over by the strength of the cast so I don't think it ever becomes too big a problem. The bigger issue is the multiple routes thing being pretty exhausting to go through but i'll forgive it.

I'm down for a lighter and simple FE game though. Awakening was very solid and its not like some of the gba games weren't very simple stories either. Sacred Stones is a game i'd say is kinda close in vibe to Awakening and has very straightforward plot and characters but its also one of the better put together FE games so this sort of story can be done very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

well most of the dudes are there for otome game stuff but this happened once

had to crop this image due to a surprising amount of dude rear end