Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Walla posted:

Forcing myself to change decks every time I lose has done wonders for my enjoyment of the game and my blood pressure. Plus I finally feel like I have enough cards to be somewhat competitive, and have a decent variety of decks.

Also, just to repeat my earlier PSA: Don't Leader a Surfer deck. You're going to lose.

Yeah, in general this is good advice.

imo, rank doesn't matter

Just playing the game and having fun is good. I'll get to 70 and tank to 30 playing fun goofy decks and then back hp to 70 again. I rarely get angry because the game only lasts a few minutes.

It's fun and easy as hell to experiment with new decks. And it's also better than physically driving to a game store to play with random people face to face.

Or whatever this is, I guess:

Mr.PayDay posted:

Funny how I start winning way, WAY more games and cubes once I lucked out by back-to-back pulling several crucial meta Pool 3 cards like Darcula, Magneto, Juggernaut , Wave, Polaris or Sera to build more decks.
I am really outskilling people now and became a better player over night. Right?

gently caress Ben Brode and this unbalanced bullshit demotivating collection level system and grindfestival.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Jedit posted:

Lots of people have many splits, even fully inked out or golden decks. The way to spot a bot through its splits are that it can have the non-foil card with a flare or an ink or gold split without a flare. Neither of these is possible to obtain: you can never have a flare on a card that hasn't been split, and splits after the first (which Inkify and Gold have to be) always have a flare.

This is actually false. I've been watching Snap streamers and I've seen someone (pretty sure it was RavenHS) who has a golden split with no flare.

So it's possible but still very, very rare.

Kaddish posted:

There is also the element of getting fun/meta/archetype enabling cards when you're starting out in pool 3 in order to have more fun, which should be the point of the game. Pool 3 seems like a pretty long grind and it's nice to have the very good cards early in the process. I get that you were saying only if efficiency is the only metric, just pointing it out.

Yeah, I think I said that 3 times :-)

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Devo posted:

:toot: Finally got to 90 gimme dat gold :20bux:

e: to the guy above that sat at 599. Your MMR is probably really high because I'm assuming you were winning a lot at the top of pool 2. I don't know who first came up with the strategy to sit on a billion credits but I don't know that it's a good one.
What pool 3 cards did you pull?

My understanding was that MMR was not a factor here, only CL? I know that even at rank ~60 in my 599 camping time, I was seeing heralds of Galactus and such and it's not like I was winning non stop, was a pretty slow climb up to that point (highest was 64).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Got a mystery for the thread. Just played a game, and this is the end state when my opponent retreated during turn 5 (which is itself a mystery, but not the mystery). The game state doesn't look at that strange at first glance, but read the text after:

This is after turn 5 reveal. The opponent's Jessica Jones (left) and Carnage (right) are copes of mine. Because the opponent dropped a Leader Turn 4. That's they mystery.

There was no no Psylock (which still wouldn't explain a T4 leader). No morph, and I don't own Leader anyway. The Board is Muderworld, New York and Vormir, so no extra energy, no Peak.

The sequence of play to that point is T1, Murderworld Reveals - I play Hood into Murderworld and snap (Hood to be nuked, have zabu in hand), opponent passes. T2, New York reveals mid - I play Demon from Hood into the unrevealed space right, opponent passes. T3, Vormir Reveals right - opponent drops Kill Monger mid killing my Hood and Demon, I drop Zabu Mid. T4 - He has priority because he's winning mid 3 to 2. I throw Carnage into Vormir right and Jessica Jones left. He ends up with a Leader right, and Leader a) copies Jessica Jones, b) copies Carnage and c) Carnage and an additional mystery card (I think it was Wasp) get eaten by Carnage.

I wish this game had a log or playback feature. My best guess is he played Lockjaw and then Wasp right onto Vormir, and there's a bug in the game. Somewhere in the sequence of Lockjaw being played and dying, Wasp still swapped out with Leader? To be clear, I never saw a Lockjaw. This is a guess based on a) having seen a Wasp b) a 6 power card being out on T4 and c) he's got a card missing from his deck. Maybe carnage ate both Leader and Wasp (not going back into his deck and leaving him one short there), and Lockjaw died to the location and not Carnage?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just had a rogue off with my surfer deck :haw:

I drop wong, they drop rogue, steal wong, I drop my rogue, they had dropped leader but had priority so their rogue had nothing to steal, mine went over and smooched their rogue, then doubled my surfer and won

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Bottom Liner posted:

Spending 3-6 months to get a single P5 card instead of a bunch of P3 cards earlier is real dumb. Sure it’s more efficient for completing your collection but uh, this is not really a collectible game and I’m 10x more interested in playing the game with more decks and cards.

Completely agree with this. If there's a card that will let you play a new deck that you really want to play, it's a great use of tokens.

Bottom Liner posted:

Plus, the sooner you finish P3 you’ll be earning a P5 card a month or 2 P4 cards, which will outpace hoarding for P5 earlier.

This part isn't really true though; you'll get to the end of P3 sooner but you'll get there with less tokens, so it will still take you longer until you can buy your first P4/P5 card. Specifically, every P3 card you buy is decreasing your P4+ budget by an average of 600 tokens at the same CL, meaning you end up with less total S4/S5 cards versus someone who just hoarded tokens.

With the exception of Galactus and Thanos (and Ultimate Variants) tokens purchase only one thing, which is faster access to cards. Eventually every other card will show up on your CL track if you are patient enough. So what to spend tokens on is entirely a question of what you want to play now, and whether it's worth the opportunity cost versus some other thing that you might want to play at some "future now."

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

priznat posted:

Just had a rogue off with my surfer deck :haw:

I drop wong, they drop rogue, steal wong, I drop my rogue, they had dropped leader but had priority so their rogue had nothing to steal, mine went over and smooched their rogue, then doubled my surfer and won

On the other side, I was playing control sera against negative surfer, and t6 he played rogue and mystique on a full lane where I had dropped lizard. Rogue stole the -3 ongoing from lizard, then mystique copied it. Surfer went off twice and he still lost, lol

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maneck posted:

I wish this game had a log or playback feature. My best guess is he played Lockjaw and then Wasp right onto Vormir, and there's a bug in the game. Somewhere in the sequence of Lockjaw being played and dying, Wasp still swapped out with Leader? To be clear, I never saw a Lockjaw. This is a guess based on a) having seen a Wasp b) a 6 power card being out on T4 and c) he's got a card missing from his deck. Maybe carnage ate both Leader and Wasp (not going back into his deck and leaving him one short there), and Lockjaw died to the location and not Carnage?

There's a much simpler (but also more complicated) answer here: Jubilee. In fact, I suspect there was never a Wasp in the first place and she was who you saw get eaten. As I understand it, the order of operations goes: Jubilee's on reveal triggers, playing Leader; Leader's on reveal triggers, playing Carnage; Carnage's on reveal triggers, eating both of them. Only then, after all of the on reveals have resolved, is Jubilee considered fully played, triggering Vormir, but since she's already been destroyed, nothing happens.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SweetJahasus posted:

Sat at 599 for a while until I accumulated 10,000 credits which I spent yesterday getting up to ~850 and now I just get poo poo hammered every game and can't compete with these complex decks that are full of pool 3+ cards. This part of the game feels super bad and they really need to take a look at their matchmaking. I should not be facing people with full ink/gold variants.

I don't even know what archetype to play because p2 control is outclassed by p3, dino is constantly countered, Ultron patriot runs into killmonger and enchantress every game, and I don't have pieces for discard/destroy. Really feels like a wall where you just watch your rank skid for the next 2-3 months while I accumulate credits thru losses.

Sure does make these "win x matches" missions a real nightmare though.

honestly buddy this was literally me, to an exact tee, like 10 pages and a week ago. You’re basically put in an artificially small group of players who are all stuck in pool 1+2 w/ three Series 3 cards, so the skill ceiling is a fair bit lower. Not even because of the cards but because the people who are playing and getting better leave that >CL590 group p quickly so you’re basically constantly playing against newbies. Your skill ceiling just shattered and you’re gonna have to grind back up again.

I think the above method really only works for you to get the ranked rewards easier, it definitely feels like I handicapped myself a bit, but I’ve finally evened out at low 50s for now.

ALSO I got my Lv 40 Variant from the monthly pass and I actually shouted aloud because it was my main man Broo

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

The Sean posted:

Hey, let me be mad in a dead comedy forum about a mobile game made for pooping sessions. Oh, Snap! :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

Hey, let me be mad in a dead comedy forum about a mobile game made for pooping sessions. Oh, Snap! :colbert:

Yeah let us blow off some steam after getting rolled by decks with wincons we aren’t even close to unlocking yet ffs. I do it a lot too!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Man, I'm out of tokens but I did get Leader, Sera, and Wave for it so that seems like a strong 3.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

priznat posted:

Yeah let us blow off some steam after getting rolled by decks with wincons we aren’t even close to unlocking yet ffs. I do it a lot too!

No one disagrees that the unlock system sucks, but the "FUNNY HOW I WIN WHEN I UNLOCK BETTER CARDS" rant was dumb as hell. Like, no poo poo?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

Man, I'm out of tokens but I did get Leader, Sera, and Wave for it so that seems like a strong 3.

I bought Mr. Negative, Ghost Rider and Kingpin and I have Rogue pinned for when I get another 100 tokens. No regrets.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Zodack posted:

Just got absolutely trashed by a Moongirl -> Pass -> Infinaut Korg She Hulk She Hulk play. Sometimes you forget what cards people have and what they're capable of. I haven't seen Infinaut in probably 1000 colleciton levels outside of Jubilee or Ghost Rider gimmicks
Sounds like the deck I lifted from a YouTuber that I used to cruise from Rank 20 to Infinite this season (CL599):

I don't have Quinjet so I have Jubilee in case I need to cheat out Magik. I rarely saw Enchantress so Cosmo wasn't that useful.

Nut hand plays like Sunspot - Armor - Pass - Moon Girl - Magik - Pass - Drop 42 Power on T7. But early Sunspot+ Magik/She-Hulk was usually a win.

Now I gotta decide if I really want to camp out here for a few weeks for 7000k credits...

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

SweetJahasus posted:

My understanding was that MMR was not a factor here, only CL? I know that even at rank ~60 in my 599 camping time, I was seeing heralds of Galactus and such and it's not like I was winning non stop, was a pretty slow climb up to that point (highest was 64).

My understanding was that there is a combination of MMR and CL (and maybe even rank to a smaller extent) that is in charge of matchmaking. I could very well be wrong though.

Pool 3 can definitely be a bitch at first. Even at CL 2400 I'm missing Leader, Psylocke, Electro, Aero, and Death. Try to identify the most powerful cards in your collection and do your best to build around them.

OR just play Spectrum Destroyer because it's mostly pool 1 and 2 anyway and still competes well into pool 3.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the unlock system is a lot better than buying boosters, so I’m fine with it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's a much simpler (but also more complicated) answer here: Jubilee. In fact, I suspect there was never a Wasp in the first place and she was who you saw get eaten. As I understand it, the order of operations goes: Jubilee's on reveal triggers, playing Leader; Leader's on reveal triggers, playing Carnage; Carnage's on reveal triggers, eating both of them. Only then, after all of the on reveals have resolved, is Jubilee considered fully played, triggering Vormir, but since she's already been destroyed, nothing happens.

That's probably it. Thanks.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Sean posted:

Yeah, in general this is good advice.

imo, rank doesn't matter

Just playing the game and having fun is good. I'll get to 70 and tank to 30 playing fun goofy decks and then back hp to 70 again. I rarely get angry because the game only lasts a few minutes.

It's fun and easy as hell to experiment with new decks. And it's also better than physically driving to a game store to play with random people face to face.

There's a certain group of people who just have trouble handling competitive games rationally. I'm 1 of them and sometimes I just get overly emotional. Forcing myself to rotate decks keeps me from raging out the fifth time my Dracula deck gets owned by Wong-BP-Odin because I've played 6 other decks in between losses. It doesn't make much sense, but it's helping me keep the game fun.

Also rank doesn't matter, but losing all the time does. These low Pool 3 decks definitely are difficult unless you get some specific high rolls early. If I had gotten say, Rockslide and Black Widow instead of Sera and Dracula then I wouldn't be winning hardly any games and grinding while losing sucks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I completely admit I might be biased because Dracula was my very first pool 3 card. I've probably played more Apocalypse discard than anyone sane and just used it to rank from 85-90. If my first two unlocks had been Yellowjacket and Wasp I'd be much saltier. I still prefer this over just being able to buy a collection.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The thing you're missing is that the games that let you buy cards or packs directly also have way better unlock systems and generous card acquisition than Snap does (once you're into P3). It's really devious how good and smooth the system feels until you hit 500, and then it nose dives off a cliff at 1000.

And this does indirectly sell you loot boxes, it just time gates that a bit. Someone earlier broke it down and you're paying something like $250 per P5 card unlock.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When you cosmo snipe that Hela JUST right :discourse:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I agree that the feeling after 1,000 is way worse than it is when you first boot up the game. By that time they've got their hooks in you and they know it. As for the second point, the whole game is a glorified loot box. I'd have to see the math on that $250 because I feel like it's only taking into account the whale spending patterns. I spend on the season pass and that's it, so unless you're counting the money value of time, that valuation of a P5 card makes no sense to me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Devo posted:

Yeah I completely admit I might be biased because Dracula was my very first pool 3 card. I've probably played more Apocalypse discard than anyone sane and just used it to rank from 85-90. If my first two unlocks had been Yellowjacket and Wasp I'd be much saltier. I still prefer this over just being able to buy a collection.

Being able to buy a collection would make the whales much worse. I only see the occasional S4 and S5 card instead of whole monster decks I can't compete with.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Funny things that happened today:

Playing a Secret Zoo deck. T5 my opponent snaps; T6 I fill my lanes and he drops a Hobgoblin on me. Easy 8 cubes.

T5 my opponent snaps and drops Magik. T6 I drop Storm on Limbo and beat the tie.

:D

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Devo posted:

I agree that the feeling after 1,000 is way worse than it is when you first boot up the game. By that time they've got their hooks in you and they know it. As for the second point, the whole game is a glorified loot box. I'd have to see the math on that $250 because I feel like it's only taking into account the whale spending patterns. I spend on the season pass and that's it, so unless you're counting the money value of time, that valuation of a P5 card makes no sense to me.

That's purely what it costs if you buy the max amount of gold they'll let you, the average bundle costs, etc. That's the "how much on average did the biggest whales spend to get a P5 card" and/or "if you have all of P3 complete, this is what it costs to get 6k tokens"

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Man, Surfer is so oppressive

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Walla posted:

Playing a Secret Zoo deck. T5 my opponent snaps; T6 I fill my lanes and he drops a Hobgoblin on me. Easy 8 cubes.

Got a good chuckle today when someone played Hobgoblin on a reveals-twice location. Hobgoblin putters over to my side....and then putters back to his side and I win the lane. :3:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zodack posted:

Man, Surfer is so oppressive

Surfer is fun, but I'm not sure how necessary Sera is without Psylocke or Electro.

Snuffman posted:

Got a good chuckle today when someone played Hobgoblin on a reveals-twice location. Hobgoblin putters over to my side....and then putters back to his side and I win the lane. :3:

I'll admit I've made this mistake more than once.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I also had some fun goblin related shenanigans today. Turn 1 Bar Sinister reveals. The deck I was running can't really do anything that silly besides fill it with dinos, but I figure I might as well drop Nightcrawler on it. Maybe they'll come in handy later. Turn 3, the opponent plays Green Goblin in one of the other lanes. Phew, bullet dodged, you might say, but wait: it gets better. Next turn I play Beast on the Goblin lane, and their side of Bar Sinister is still empty. I think you can see where this is going. :v:

Note to self though: if I ever find myself in the same situation, leave one Nightcrawler behind. A totally empty Bar Sinister actually generates five goblins in total, leaving you stuck with one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got a Leader from the Daily Bugle location so I knew he would drop one on my movement deck, and made sure the place I put heimdall didn’t matter and would let me win 2 lanes after his shifted.

I gave him a totally ironic thumbs up because leader players are scum

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I managed to correctly read and Aero a Galactus play and ive never had a better moment in this game and probaby never will

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 15, 2023

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Also, thanks all for the comments on tokens. I was thinking of it as a way to more quickly accrue cards to build other decks, but I think I'll keep collecting through CL until it's a "oh, this is the 1 card I was missing" or "this card will really improve this existing deck" situation. For example, I bought a Death and she was a great improvement to my destroy deck, but then I also bought a Sera, and well, I think she needs a few more cards to synergize with.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So if I understand the new release paradigm, they release one Battlepass card a month, and then is it 3 or 4 cards one per week that just get placed in Pool 5 automatically with no real fanfare? Is that it?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KazigluBey posted:

So if I understand the new release paradigm, they release one Battlepass card a month, and then is it 3 or 4 cards one per week that just get placed in Pool 5 automatically with no real fanfare? Is that it?

Well, they make a discord post, but yes.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Walla posted:

Surfer is fun, but I'm not sure how necessary Sera is without Psylocke or Electro.

I'll admit I've made this mistake more than once.

Electro might possibly be the worst card you can play with Sera lmao

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Studio posted:

Electro might possibly be the worst card you can play with Sera lmao

Okay, maybe not Electro. I don't have him. But Sera Surfer needs more energy, otherwise you may as well play a 3 drop on 5 with another 2 drop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The whole reason sera surfer works is because you dump 3 on 6 and it’s harder to predict what and where.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
whine post

i think i might be done except doing daily quests because gently caress leader and galactus, just terrible feeling to see them come down because they can just wait out and play their pocket aces or otherwise retreat

end whine post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

The whole reason sera surfer works is because you dump 3 on 6 and it’s harder to predict what and where.

Fair enough. For now I've dropped Sera but I haven't played many games with it.