Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I finally finished Age of Calamity earlier this week after several false starts and burn outs at roughly the halfway mark since its initial release. It was all right, I think hampered by both having recently played Persona 5 Strikers to completion and my generally blasé attitude towards musou games. I really enjoyed the story, and while not a tremendous amount was layered on top of BotW, I liked the added characterizations for the cast, especially Zelda, who finally got to do something (on screen).

The soundtrack absolutely rips, a wonderful maximalist companion piece to Breath of the Wild's minimalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just to chime in on this important recent topic,

Winifred Madgers posted:

Assumption, no, it could well be a sequel. I'm just saying it's not a known certainty, and "sequel" in the youtube video description may also just mean "the next game" and not necessarily "here's how the story continues."

I just visited Nintendo of America's and Nintendo of Europe's eShop product pages for Tears of the Kingdom, and the descriptions on them are not too ambiguous.

NoA: "In addition to the vast lands of Hyrule, the latest entry in the storied Legend of Zelda series will take you up into the skies! Look forward to Link’s massive adventure starting again when The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, drops for Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023."

NoE: "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is coming to Nintendo Switch on May 12th, 2023. In this sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the setting for Link’s adventure has been expanded to include the skies above the vast lands of Hyrule."

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm hoping the sky is used to create Mario Odyssey esque dungeon zones or something. There are plenty of in betweens of max open world and max constraints.

Although actually I'd be interested in a Zelda game that is laser focused and uses that to make one big cool dungeon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just put a ceiling and walls around the game world. Boom, mega dungeon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are a bunch of locations in the botw map that are clearly meant to be some ancient site that used to important. I hope they turn those into actual temples. Maybe you use links new ability to melt into floors to get into them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I was daydreaming about TotK this morning and ...it was great.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

External Organs posted:

I was daydreaming about TotK this morning and ...it was great.

Ah. You were seeing the future. :science:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There are a bunch of locations in the botw map that are clearly meant to be some ancient site that used to important. I hope they turn those into actual temples. Maybe you use links new ability to melt into floors to get into them.

That'd be great. It's been long enough that I forget the specific locations, but there were a number of those that kinda disappointed me because they looked so cool and evocative when I got there, but they'd just turn out to be open areas with a chest or some guardians or something like that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah many people are leaning even harder into the Zonai being important to TotK and even though I am taking anything like that with a grain of salt I am all for that if it happens.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah many people are leaning even harder into the Zonai being important to TotK and even though I am taking anything like that with a grain of salt I am all for that if it happens.

Genuinely, I did a full 120 Shrines Every Sidequest Completed playthrough my first time through Breath of the Wild, just really buttoned down and dug in. And when people started talking about the Zonai, I had absolutely zero idea what they were talking about. I don't know if I just skimmed past some sidequest dialogue, if there was one particular group of NPCs I totally missed, or what, but whatever the Zonai are that people latched onto them so hard for Tears of the Kingdom, I completely missed them on my first playthrough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Zonai

The barbarian armor is supposed to be what they looked like. Maybe.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DanielCross posted:

Genuinely, I did a full 120 Shrines Every Sidequest Completed playthrough my first time through Breath of the Wild, just really buttoned down and dug in. And when people started talking about the Zonai, I had absolutely zero idea what they were talking about. I don't know if I just skimmed past some sidequest dialogue, if there was one particular group of NPCs I totally missed, or what, but whatever the Zonai are that people latched onto them so hard for Tears of the Kingdom, I completely missed them on my first playthrough.

iirc they're the civilization responsible for the three labyrinths (the flavor text on the barbarian armor references them, though not by name), as well as the various ancient ruins in Faron.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I keep missing the Zonai up with the Tokay from Oracle of Ages. So I'm imagining lizard people barbarians.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Continuing my playthrough of Skyward Sword...man, this thing is really trying my patience.

I was really excited to get to the Sandship & the timestones as everyone had raved about how that was the best section in the game...it left me feeling really flat. The mechanic is an interesting idea, but the desert felt really lifeless. I felt myself wishing it was just a big ocean level, as the desert background looked really beige and dull to me. The dinners itself was also just drab corridors, and fighting the electric bokoblins was an exercise in frustration.

And then the boss. loving hell. I've seen it on lists of worst Zelda bosses in terms of design, which I agree with. What I've never seen before is people complaining about the method of beating it. The game showed me I could use skyward strikes to beat the tentacles in the ship. Then on the deck, firing skyward strikes at the tentacles showed a damage indicator, which made me think I was making progress. Kept this up for 15 minutes without moving to the next phase, so ended up googling in frustration: did I miss somewhere in the game any mention of the ability to store skyward strikes momentarily & fire them horizontally or sideways? I had no idea I could do that. I've been playing pretty sporadically so maybe it did mention back at the start. But still...urgh.

Its also the first 3D Zelda game where I felt like there was actually interesting poo poo to buy, but also has a lack of rupees. I keep getting told I don't have enough space and I should put poo poo in item storage, and buying more space is like 1000s of rupees, so I'm just going to brute force it with my crap items instead of bothering to buy more.

I'm going to get to the end as I like to see things through, but fucks sakes this thing is trying my patience!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The better way to kill the Sandship boss is with the bow but it isn't really indicated. Hitting the tentacles with the bow immediately cuts it and you don't have to deal with the finnicky aiming on the Skyward Strikes.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Given that the Arbiter's Grounds were both a major plot point in TP and also an explicit location in BOTW, and that the Ganondorf corpse in the announcement trailer had some pretty strong hints of being the same Ganondorf from TP, I'm still leaning heavily into the Arbiter's Grounds being some kind of portal/entrance/other important part of the plot in TotK. The other hints of TP in the announcement trailer reinforce this idea imo.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Like BOTW before it, TOTK seems to drawing its references from a near equal blend of all the previous games. In BOTW this was mostly relegated to area names and easter eggs, so it'll be interesting to see if they're more explicit about it

I hope they are, I like that sort of world building

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Skyward Sword ultimately has too many dungeons that are too good for it to be a bad game. Ancient Cistern might be the best dungeon in the franchise, and Sky Keep and Lanayru Mining Facility are up there as well. I eventually grew to appreciate the motion controls. They had me thinking about combat in entirely new ways, and added an additional level of challenge to the bosses.

Big frustration is the shield durability. No one should be allowed to complain about the BotW durability mechanics without first complaining about the much, much, much worse durability mechanics in SS. At least if your shield breaks in BotW, you can pull out one of your six other shields. In Skyward Sword, you have to stop what you're doing, find a bird statue, teleport out of the dungeon if you're in one, go up to the sky, fly back to slyloft, buy another shield, fly back out, then navigate all the way back to where you were. That doesn't include cutting some grass if you're short on rupees. It's a nightmare!

And the fact that all items are bound to a single button but that button is both "go to item select screen" and "use item," except some items you just hit A to use and some you just motion control and...it couldve been two buttons, I think, there must be an unused button somewhere on the switch, even if there wasn't on the wiimotes.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Shiroc posted:

The better way to kill the Sandship boss is with the bow but it isn't really indicated. Hitting the tentacles with the bow immediately cuts it and you don't have to deal with the finnicky aiming on the Skyward Strikes.

😐😐

Oh good grief. I followed Fi's advice, that was all about the skyward strike.

Seen online you can spin attack the tentacles as well.

I guess I should have tried more options, but I don't like the game enough to experiment. That's on me.

Ah, forgot another thing I dislike: the whip should be a great item, but has no combat uses that I can tell.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Big frustration is the shield durability. No one should be allowed to complain about the BotW durability mechanics without first complaining about the much, much, much worse durability mechanics in SS. At least if your shield breaks in BotW, you can pull out one of your six other shields. In Skyward Sword, you have to stop what you're doing, find a bird statue, teleport out of the dungeon if you're in one, go up to the sky, fly back to slyloft, buy another shield, fly back out, then navigate all the way back to where you were. That doesn't include cutting some grass if you're short on rupees. It's a nightmare!

I never lost a single shield in my two play throughs of Skyward Sword from breaking them, only by having the wood ones burned. I always thought the mechanic was weird because of how irrelevant it seemed in actual gameplay since you can get the Sacred Shield pretty quickly.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Oh my god

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mourning Due posted:

Ah, forgot another thing I dislike: the whip should be a great item, but has no combat uses that I can tell.

Yeah, that was extra frustrating after how useful and versatile the grappling hook was in WW.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Shiroc posted:

I never lost a single shield in my two play throughs of Skyward Sword from breaking them, only by having the wood ones burned. I always thought the mechanic was weird because of how irrelevant it seemed in actual gameplay since you can get the Sacred Shield pretty quickly.

I lost a shield very early on because I couldn't figure out the parry timing on the deku scrubs. Didn't have the rupees yet to buy a new one, had to spend like fifteen minutes cutting grass and smashing pumpkins to get one. Lost another one during the first Ghirahim fight, at least by that point I had enough rupees but the number of steps I had to take to get back to where I was was infuriating (your shield does not come back if you continue after dying). Never lost a shield to fire, I got the metal one before going to the volcano. I lost my goddess shield during the combat rush four-armed skeleton guy in Sky Keep, too, that's what made me decide I definitely needed the Hylian shield to finish the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
One thing I found very funny was how fast the Zelda lore youtubers dropped Age of Calamity, when the penny dropped that it was an alt timeline where everyone lived I don't think I have ever seen them drop anything so fast.

It's doubly funny as I saw quite a few videos where Astor was being heavily hyped up only for the game to turn around and say "He's just some evil wizard who thinks he can control Ganon lol"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
They should bring Vaati back for a game, just for variety's sake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mourning Due posted:

When fighting a bokoblin that blows a horn to summon reinforcements, hitting it with the whip will take the horn away.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Junpei posted:

They should bring Vaati back for a game, just for variety's sake.

Forever cursed to be in multiplayer spinoffs.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does the team at Capcom that made the Oracles and Minish still exist or were they disbanded to make more gacha games and pachinko machines like much of Japanese third parties?

I guess Fujibayashi went to nintendo but what about everyone else?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 14, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

One thing I found very funny was how fast the Zelda lore youtubers dropped Age of Calamity, when the penny dropped that it was an alt timeline where everyone lived I don't think I have ever seen them drop anything so fast.

It's doubly funny as I saw quite a few videos where Astor was being heavily hyped up only for the game to turn around and say "He's just some evil wizard who thinks he can control Ganon lol"

Tbf it was heavily advertised as being an actual prequel, the alt timeline reveal was one hell of a bait and switch and I genuinely wish they hadn’t done that. I wanted to see the Champions die, dammit!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I get like they had to do the alternative timeline thing because otherwise it would be up in the air if it was canon to the main game and there would be people who would no doubt get angry if it was canon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Tbf it was heavily advertised as being an actual prequel, the alt timeline reveal was one hell of a bait and switch and I genuinely wish they hadn’t done that. I wanted to see the Champions die, dammit!

You swear Nintendo is going to have the balls to release a game story that's "everyone dies and you lose in the end."

They only do that for Mario Party.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Link’s Awakening?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No one exists in LA in the first place, technically. :colbert:

Link wins, though he's probably dead being adrift at sea I guess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doesn't that Link go on to the Oracle games? Or am I just confusing similar pixely guys.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if there were time travel mechanics in Tears of the Kingdom

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You're probably right, I haven't played the Oracle games in 20 years. So Link stays winning if that's the case.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Doesn't that Link go on to the Oracle games? Or am I just confusing similar pixely guys.

Same guy, but other way around. Oracles linked game ends with him setting out on the boat that gets wrecked at the start of LA.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just wanted Age of Calamity to end with an endless gauntlet against Guardians and the objective just said "Survive!" is that too much to ask for?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gruckles posted:

Same guy, but other way around. Oracles linked game ends with him setting out on the boat that gets wrecked at the start of LA.

Oh that's funny, I don't think I ever did the full linked run. Well, :rip: then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sigher posted:

You swear Nintendo is going to have the balls to release a game story that's "everyone dies and you lose in the end."

They only do that for Mario Party.

They also do it for Metroid.