Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My ancient Saturn, DC and 360 controllers all work perfectly. This generation of controllers is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

My cousin left his on their front porch for a couple weeks and it stopped working because of rain damage

It could probably have survived if the water of the rain drops had been enclosed in several layers of different hydrophobic oils and then coated several layers deep in dead, dried out organic material on top of that for good measure.

Though in turn, he may have died from extensive vomiting the moment he opened his door to go out and grab the Switch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

the DS Lite is the champion of Nintendos handhelds

:hai:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Alan_Shore posted:

My ancient Saturn, DC and 360 controllers all work perfectly. This generation of controllers is a joke

They hadn't worked out Planned Obsolesence yet

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Maroon Hawk posted:

We are also a few weeks out from Christmas, when some people presumably got Switches and may be buying accessories for them

yup! and kids (and adults) do constantly dumbass things with brand new electronics immediately and I mean IMMEDIATELY

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 14, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alan_Shore posted:

Every 360 controller i owned (3) developed drift and I wore out the rubber on the left stick of one of them from playing so much CoD and other shooters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of my joycon shoulder buttons is stuck pressed down.

NINTENDONT!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Were you eating and gaming at the same time? Rookie mistake if so

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

In battery life, by far

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If only the ds lite had good screens. As it stands the DSi xl would be the best except it doesnt have a GBA port

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best nintendo handheld is the gameboy micro, this is objective fact

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

Were you eating and gaming at the same time? Rookie mistake if so

i bought a ps3 a few months ago and while the seller had tried to clean the controllers, you could still see some cheeto dust caked into little crevices and seams

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Spellman posted:

In battery life, by far

It's not the DS Lite, but one thing I've really noticed is that my 3DS XL's battery is loving ironclad. I hadn't played my 3DS in a long time-- nearly a year--, and when I turned it on I still had a nearly fully charged battery.

I played it for an evening, until the battery was about to die, and recharged it, back in... probably around June? I bet if I turned it on right now it'd still be full.

Meanwhile I can fully charge my Steam Deck, unplug it, and not touch it for a week, and come back to it almost, if not completely, dead.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

It would be if the hinges weren’t prone to shattering, it’s perfect otherwise.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh yeah I forgot that was a thing lmao, it happened to mine. Still just a beautifully designed console, that should have been the original model

I'm still mad they didn't go with the E3 prototype, what we ended up getting for the original model was so clunky and honestly just ugly. Still I was a believer from day one, I picked up that bad boy during launch. The software drought was pretty brutal for the first year or so.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was hard owning a DS from launch until around when Wario Ware Touched came out. I was pretty jealous of all the PSP owners at school

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the ds was the first system i ever lined up for, about 8 hours before it came out. i was first in line by like 10 minutes. worth.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

Nothing can kill a Gameboy though, the last time Nintendo made anything durable was the Gamecube.

The glue finally gave up on mine. And the dot matrix screen fell off. Shoddy manufacturing at best, if it won't even last a good 40 years.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

hatty posted:

It was hard owning a DS from launch until around when Wario Ware Touched came out. I was pretty jealous of all the PSP owners at school

Yep, eventually I picked up a part-time job and started selling candies at school just so I could get a PSP too cuz I was incredibly jealous lol

That hardware was next level compared to my DS, but at the end of the day the DS had a much stronger library, years later. Then again I was able to play SNES roms on my PSP using an exploit with GTA Liberty City stories

Good times

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Phat DS screens were fine for what they were. They were Nintendo's first backlit screen on a handheld (not counting the Game Boy Light), and for a brief while the best way to play GBA games.

The DS library wasn't, well, much of anything until Kirby, Meteos, and Castlevania came out for it. After that it was consistently better than the PSP.

The day they announced the Dracula X Chronicles is when I bought a PSP. Like many systems though, I probably spent more time playing NES ROMs than actual PSP games. I also bought like half my UMD library in 2019 for $5 each, which would've been great if they weren't obsolesced in the past few months with the FF Pixel Remasters, Tactics Ogre, and Crisis Core.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

actually the gameboy sp was the first nintendo portable system with a backlit screen and it counts because the gameboy sp kicked rear end

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The AGS-001 SP was frontlit, while the -101 revision that came out in 2005 was backlit and better than the Phat DS, and about equivalent to the DS Lite.

For a period in the mid-00s Nintendo released a handheld basically every year with a slightly better screen than the last year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Meteos was so loving good

and the SP, though I imagine it doesn't hold up with adult-sized hands.

and none could top the gameboy micro for screen brightness/clarity

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bring back Meteos and have Tate Mode.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

actually the gameboy sp was the first nintendo portable system with a backlit screen and it counts because the gameboy sp kicked rear end

this is gameboy light erasure

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i had a gameboy pocket

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

hatty posted:

I could see them adding Hall Effect sticks to the next joycons if the current cost of the free repair program and lawsuits outweigh the cost benefits of using the cheaper assembly. Do we know how much drifting cons affect the bottom line?

Thanks to this thread I have learned about "Hall Effect" sticks and Nintendo's Joy Con repair program so thank y'all for the great info :tipshat:

CBD Corndog posted:

Hall effect sticks aren't a new technology, the Dreamcast controller uses hall effect sticks along with a lot of flight sticks. If joycons were going to have hall effect sticks they would have had them 6 years ago.

I reckon Nintendo considered using $15 sticks that work forever vs using $10 sticks that constantly break and thus increase sales of $80 controllers and decided that they liked making money. It's essentially a biannual tax to use the system.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'd your joycons are drifting I suggest doing a repair yourself, it's easy after and the joycon I fixed two years ago is still working perfectly.

Aaaaaah no thank you, did that back a few years ago and hosed things up.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Careful with this; I did the repair for my left joycon, no issue. I eventually had to do the right joycon and while I tried my best to be as careful as possible (I had since repaired 2 of my 8bitdo controllers, due to kid wear and tear), something happened that I didn't even notice, and the joycon could no longer be detected by my Switch from anywhere farther than maybe 1'.

It sucked. Man, I tried to be so careful. So repairer-beware.

For me I somehow severed the thing's ability to draw power from its internal battery. I had to buy these large goofy AA adapter packs that clamp on to them to use it. They did work quite well in my overly large hands so I actually preferred them ergonomically but having to constantly juggle AA rechargeables was a pain.

I typically use a pair of grips that helps fill out my hands. Absolutely love the two-separate-hand controller scheme and never ever want to go back to having to hold my hands together in front of me ever again. Ever. Like I go to play my SNES or N64 or literally any other system and it's tiring after half an hour, you've ruined me Nintendo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Inzombiac posted:

One of my joycon shoulder buttons is stuck pressed down.

NINTENDONT!

Lift you're finger

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

feeling nostalgic now, how many people had this POV in the back of a car in the 90s

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

feeling nostalgic now, how many people had this POV in the back of a car in the 90s

that's not a worm light

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had fresh batteries

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also my gameboy color was yelow and had pikachu, togepi and...i think it was jigglypuff on the screen black areas. Yours is way worse

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not my pic to be clear
I had the atomic purple GBC and my game would've probably been harvest moon 2

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I definitely would've bought one in 1998 if it had been released outside Japan.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Atomic purple was god tier and everybody knew this

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I definitely would've bought one in 1998 if it had been released outside Japan.

i bid on a few of them on ebay back in the early 00's but never won the auctions and now the prices are hosed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KingSlime posted:

atomic purple n64 controller ftw

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

atomic purple n64 controller ftw

I had one of those

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the ds was the first system i ever lined up for, about 8 hours before it came out. i was first in line by like 10 minutes. worth.

I did this for the wii with my roommates and a few friends, it was dope. We had a tent and pizza and just chilled with some other nerds until the Target opened.

I also stood in a few lines when amiibo were released and people were going crazy to get them, that was less fun.