Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

loudog999 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with a kickstand that's thin enough to still fit in the carrying case and a dock in case I ever get one?

I've been using this kickstand on my Deck. It's just a kickstand though, no case, but it's adhesive so it'll stick to any thin case you want. I have it stuck directly to my Deck which may have been a mistake because it is ON THERE, but it's slim enough that I can still fit my Deck in the official carrying case without any issues. It's pretty good too, it'll hold basically any angle you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
lotta big deck energy in here

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Would be interested to be pointed toward some sort of relatively idiotproof way to do this on the deck

3D Mark is on Steam.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

benchmarking my deck because I'm pretty sure it's the best one

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with a kickstand that's thin enough to still fit in the carrying case and a dock in case I ever get one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B27VKBKG/

Not sure about it fitting in a dock, but it does fit in the original carrying case.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

benchmarking my deck because I'm pretty sure it's the best one

Mine scored 100% on DreckMark, how 'bout yours? :smugdog:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Where can I find Benchmarking My Deck//DreckMark? Google avails me very little

E: gently caress you’re joking. Sense of humour failure there drat. Still gona get 3D Mark (E: E: Or maybe not at that price. drat it)

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 15, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

3DMark often goes on deep sale during Steam sales so grab it then and enjoy benchmarking all the things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

3DMark often goes on deep sale during Steam sales so grab it then and enjoy benchmarking all the things.

Yeah I got it for like $9 years ago or something.

Don’t pay full price for it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
It says it’s ‘unsupported’, will I have run in desktop mode or some such? Returned Trine 4 (not my bag) and bought a Doom Eternal key for further graphical investigations

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It says it’s ‘unsupported’, will I have run in desktop mode or some such? Returned Trine 4 (not my bag) and bought a Doom Eternal key for further graphical investigations

No.

Unsupported can mean a lot of things.

Your best bet is to use this site if a game says it’s unsupported.

https://www.protondb.com/app/1675200

Like 9/10 the game will work just fine but you might need to tweak something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

No.

Unsupported can mean a lot of things.

Your best bet is to use this site if a game says it’s unsupported.

https://www.protondb.com/app/1675200

Like 9/10 the game will work just fine but you might need to tweak something.

Yeah, or sign into another service, or maybe enter text to proceed. Or maybe you need to do a one-time adjustment to the command line.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Atomizer posted:

Mine scored 100% on DreckMark, how 'bout yours? :smugdog:

between 99% and 125%

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone installed this mod for Chrono Trigger on Deck?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2436812910
it has assets for Steam Deck contoller buttons but I'm not really sure how to install the mod.
Thanks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Looks like it would be easiest to mod it on a pc then copy the game’s folders over based on the tools they’re using there tbh

Edit: yeah it only modifies resources.bin so install it on a pc then do the mod instructions and just copy and replace resources.bin over to the deck, jobs a goodun.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 15, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Seems to run Doom Eternal on the highest preset without complaint. Tentatively going to say it’s fine (knock on wood). Looks like the Deck can withstand a light splashing then, would definitely recommend against it though if only for sake of your mental health!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Got a steam deck a few days ago and that vent smell is divine goodness me

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I’m getting foot surgery next month and I wanted to be able to play all my poo poo while im laid up.

I have looked around and see a few different things regarding linking my series x streaming and piss5 streaming but I’m still confused
Anyone using the steam deck as a catch all that has any advice?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Steams "verified" system is jank as gently caress. Use protondb to see if the game ACTUALLY works as intended without fiddling with settings (turns out River City Girls DOESN'T work properly out of the box, the sides of the screen are cut off and the game freezes on cutscenes. Steam Deck Verified though!)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I’ve managed to get Xbox Game Pass games running on windows by installing it to an SD card, and using GloSI to simulate an Xbox controller. It seems to work okay, but there are some rough edges basically everywhere. Anyone have with experience running windows on the deck and have a good workflow for making the UX actually tolerable?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You're already most of the way there if you have Glossi working. Just have steam start in big picture mode at bootup and, while it's not as good as the steamos experience, it is as close as you will get in windows. Especially now that big picture mode is just the deck interface (maybe only in the beta branch still? idk). Don't forget that all the steam input stuff that you have in steamos desktop mode will also work in windows desktop mode as long as steam is running.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone installed this mod for Chrono Trigger on Deck?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2436812910
it has assets for Steam Deck contoller buttons but I'm not really sure how to install the mod.
Thanks!

Why would you play the modern version when you can just play the emulated PSX version - the best as I recall since it had the uncensored Woolsey script plus the Toriyama FMVs - when or an emulated version of the original SNES one, with or without retranslation patches? Legit asking, not trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat elitist here. What does the modern version add, I thought it was generally poorly received?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

You're already most of the way there if you have Glossi working. Just have steam start in big picture mode at bootup and, while it's not as good as the steamos experience, it is as close as you will get in windows. Especially now that big picture mode is just the deck interface (maybe only in the beta branch still? idk). Don't forget that all the steam input stuff that you have in steamos desktop mode will also work in windows desktop mode as long as steam is running.

Big Picture is due to get a SteamOS like makeover, right?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Already done as far as I know, I used BPM on my desktop over Christmas and it was already updated to the Deck interface. For awhile it was only on the beta branch and if you launched steam with a certain command line argument, can't remember if I did that or not. Its good though, much better than old BPM.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Googling, it seems to still be in beta yeah.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why would you play the modern version when you can just play the emulated PSX version - the best as I recall since it had the uncensored Woolsey script plus the Toriyama FMVs - when or an emulated version of the original SNES one, with or without retranslation patches? Legit asking, not trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat elitist here. What does the modern version add, I thought it was generally poorly received?
It doesn't load for like 30 seconds going into menus or combat, for one.

Like, the PlayStation version is generally considered the worst option nowadays. Play SNES if you're a Woolsey fanatic, play DS/Steam for cutscenes and new translation.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Rinkles posted:

Googling, it seems to still be in beta yeah.

Ooo, that’d be nice for consistency, how do I opt into that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Talorat posted:

Ooo, that’d be nice for consistency, how do I opt into that?

this is what google says

Here’s how to get the Steam Deck UI on Windows:

• Open the ‘Steam’ dropdown menu in the top-left of the client and click ‘Settings’

• In the ‘Account’ tab, find ‘Beta Participation’ and click ‘CHANGE…’

• From the dropdown menu, select ‘Steam Beta Update

• Edit your Steam launch shortcut with the following launch parameter: -gamepadui

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-deck/ui-big-picture-mode-update

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Having played through PC Chrono Trigger on my Deck recently, the animated cutscenes are kinda unstable, tbh, and I would've disabled them if I could. Took me like three or four tries to get through some of them, between the crashing and freezing (both at the beginning and end), including the one that plays when you boot up the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I didn’t spend €500 on a deck to emulate games like some common raspberry pauper.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Where can I find Benchmarking My Deck//DreckMark? Google avails me very little

E: gently caress you’re joking. Sense of humour failure there drat. Still gona get 3D Mark (E: E: Or maybe not at that price. drat it)

I mean, the joke was a continuation of what the other guy implied, in that the Drecks should all benchmark nearly identically (assuming they're left at the same configurable performance level) but beyond that it would be interesting to know the actual variation between a large sample of stock devices. Probably within a few percentage points at most.

I didn’t spend €500 on a deck to emulate games like some common raspberry pauper.

You were so close to "Raspberry PauPiper" (or "PiPauper" if you prefer. :shrug:)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I suppose after spending nay much, the fifteen to fund the worst (not psx) version of Chrono Trigger is naot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

In hindsight I should have just played the PS1 version

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

this is what google says

Here’s how to get the Steam Deck UI on Windows:

• Open the ‘Steam’ dropdown menu in the top-left of the client and click ‘Settings’

• In the ‘Account’ tab, find ‘Beta Participation’ and click ‘CHANGE…’

• From the dropdown menu, select ‘Steam Beta Update

• Edit your Steam launch shortcut with the following launch parameter: -gamepadui

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-deck/ui-big-picture-mode-update

To throw my dice in here, I tried this and it wasn't ready for prime-time outside of the SD at the moment.
It also replaces the workable Big Picture Controls Layout interface and template download function with SD's own bad one.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 16, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

To throw my dice in here, I tried this and it wasn't ready for prime-time outside of the SD at the moment and it also replaces the OK control options interface with SD's own kinda bad interface.

I think it's solid, and better than the old Big Picture, but it can be weirdly sluggish at times. I tried using it on the TV PC I currently have and decided that just launching from Steam normally with a mini keyboard was easier.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think a lot of that could be mitigated by not having to read the thumbnails of collections every time you pass it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I mean, the joke was a continuation of what the other guy implied, in that the Drecks should all benchmark nearly identically (assuming they're left at the same configurable performance level) but beyond that it would be interesting to know the actual variation between a large sample of stock devices. Probably within a few percentage points at most.

You were so close to "Raspberry PauPiper" (or "PiPauper" if you prefer. :shrug:)

Why do you call it the Dreck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

It's what everyone's calling it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

thats what it's called

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

To throw my dice in here, I tried this and it wasn't ready for prime-time outside of the SD at the moment.
It also replaces the workable Big Picture Controls Layout interface and template download function with SD's own bad one.

The updated Steam Input was already rolled out to everyone (except for the desktop and global chord config, for whatever reason). I'm not sure which I prefer. The new one looks better, and is more controller friendly, but some elements are unintuitive (true of the old interface too, but in different ways), and it's kind of a hassle to use with a mouse now (because it's controller focused).

And I don't see a way of copying configs from one game to another, like I could do before, but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Minotaurus Rex posted:

As has been suggested, ProtonDB is your friend. I have a Safari tab permanently open on my phone so I can quickly check any games that Steam doesn't flag as verified. You can go even more direct than that with a plug in that will actually pull data from ProtonDB to your Steam Deck UI, if you want to install Decky to do it.

Valve's barrier for verified status can be fussy but I understand why. My tastes in games are fairly mainstream but I'm yet to come across anything that flat out won't run on Steam Deck. About a third of the games I have installed on my Deck are "Unsupported". A lot of the time the difference between Verified and Playable can be anything as inconsequential as small text, resolution settings or M&KB settings that aren't easily mapped to the Deck's controls by default. In other words, stuff that either doesn't effect how well a game runs, or can be solved by 1 minute of tinkering that the community has already provided instructions for.

Both of the new Doom games run superbly on the Deck and I'd argue are amongst the best examples of what this machine can do with AAA games. The biggest problem with playing Eternal on Deck is that I'll go to my grave arguing that game is a M&KB game. I have no idea how anyone can play it to any standard on a controller. You people are gods amongst us.