Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's funny, because Fates's horrible "the war between the kingdoms and every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the invisible third kingdom led by a psychotic dragon" schtick is almost the same poo poo conceptually as Houses' "the war between the countries and almost every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the underground mole people with nukes" schtick.

Fates is, in a lot of ways, basically a shoddy test platform for 3H.

Being real, that plot isn’t even new to Fire Emblem, FE4’s entire game is started by the Loptyrians inciting a war between Issach and Grannvale, and then starting Sigurd on his cross country bandit murder spree by convincing the brigand country king it would be totally sick to invade Grannvale. Which, like, makes sense for 3H at least because it was sparked from the idea of how tragic the friendship of Sigurd/Eldigan/Quan turned out, three high ranking nobles who befriended each other at military school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Notty posted:

One of the reasons I’m kind of okay with Engage’s story being a ‘step back’ in terms of the story is that we’ve had like half a decade now of underbaked ‘ambitious’ games that try to do too much and end up suffering for it.

I’m really looking forward to just having a game that doesn’t leave me wishing they had more time or money because of all the potential that had to be left on the cutting room floor.

Another finger on the monkey paw curls, because they had too much time to make this stupid anniversary game and now Engage has been sitting in the oven so long they tacked on foreign direct investment and gym minigames

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell the foreign direct investment and gym minigames are goofy but harmless

edit: also echoes is also about two sides of a war kind of so really it's been an entire decade of this so yes im totally up for killing an evil dragon with my anime pals

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Endorph posted:

hell the foreign direct investment and gym minigames are goofy but harmless

Yeah it actually owns. I'm joking but it owns.

Same with the feature of you being able to go to sleep and another character waking you up with ASMR voice. It's like the opposite of FE Fates: this time the characters blow on you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Claude has the anime power of friendship ending and also rules

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
We 100% know there's going to be at least one "countries tragically manipulated by the Bad Guys into fighting us despite being cool people" bit in Engage, given that they've very prominently shown off Hortensia/Rosado/Goldmary both trying to kill Alear/steal their magic rings and also having cool anime hangout time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but thats just a thing that always happens in fe, guys who were antagonists joining you. see also jaffar and nino or whatever. im just tired of like, an actual route split/multiple protagonists on different sides/w/e. it can work, but literally every game since awakening has done that shtick. its been a decade. im good.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think they should have done a split route this time just so evil marth could get some 10 second supports too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That doesnt need a route split

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A route split where everything is the exact same except instead of Good Marth telling you you're a cool person it's Evil Marth lighting up a cigarette and telling you to gently caress off.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Evil Micaiah route: You should pour oil on those pegasus.
Good Micaiah route: Yeah same, light 'em up.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There’s a world of difference between “fight then team up” versus “in another time, we might have been friends, but alas, fate has decreed that we must cross swords. Farewell, my worthy opponent, may you build the world I never could.”

Kanos posted:

A route split where everything is the exact same except instead of Good Marth telling you you're a cool person it's Evil Marth lighting up a cigarette and telling you to gently caress off.

In the evil route, Awkward Zombie Marth is canon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Micaiah's so cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

evil route where the engages are all the antagonists but micaiah is still there

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

yeah but thats just a thing that always happens in fe, guys who were antagonists joining you. see also jaffar and nino or whatever. im just tired of like, an actual route split/multiple protagonists on different sides/w/e. it can work, but literally every game since awakening has done that shtick. its been a decade. im good.

I’d be fine if they would bring back splits like in FE5-FE7. Just having different routes for a couple levels before converging again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Micaiah's so cool

Why does she hate armour and horses so much?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"What's that Yune? Kill them all? GOOD IDEA!"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Natural 20 posted:

You're not really wrong.

A lot of what Claude does never really makes sense for him, why is he invading the Empire? Why is he trying to free Rhea? To get answers to questions he has no real reason to care about when she's been deposed? It's all a product of VW being copy pasted from SS.

And then of course, the last bosses of VW and SS are the wrong way around which also doesn't help.

All of the stuff that Claude does makes a bunch more sense when you're just Byleth and Seteth.

It's then, of course, held in contrast to the loving tour de force that is Hopes Claude who loving rules.

You can gauge how wrong someone's opinions are based entirely on if they think 3Hopes made Claude "worse".

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Natural 20 posted:

Why does she hate armour and horses so much?

You're not allowed to be a main character if you don't have a blood vendetta against cavalry and anyone wearing plate armor. It's just the rules.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

evil route where the engages are all the antagonists but micaiah is still there

The Three Houses Rep is just the three lords ring from the DLC and not Thales or Rhea or whatever.

Anyway bring on the evil dragon.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

mycatscrimes posted:

You can gauge how wrong someone's opinions are based entirely on if they think 3Hopes made Claude "worse".

there are people who think that?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hellioning posted:

The Three Houses Rep is just the three lords ring from the DLC and not Thales or Rhea or whatever.

Anyway bring on the evil dragon.

Three houses rep is also Byleth.

Turns out it's actually the Three Hopes ring.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

lih posted:

there are people who think that?

Yes, basically the case is that:

A) Golden Wildfire makes no sense. Why does Claude ally with the empire and retreat from Faerghus? All of those decisions are stupid!

B) Claude in Three Houses is a nice boy who doesn't do anything bad, he's much more ambiguous in hopes and this is bad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm sure someone is gonna think this is insane but it feels like an extremely normal set of fire emblem opinions to have imo

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm one of those people who hate S tiers on tier lists unless they're legitmately game breaking. It's fine to give things D and E ranks!

Also yes, I'm also tired of FE making these attempts at grand, ambitious games. They're not capable of pulling things off at that scale and need time to go back to the basics, re-evaluate why they've been loving up and figure out what they need to do to actually pull off that kind of game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

I'm one of those people who hate S tiers on tier lists unless they're legitmately game breaking. It's fine to give things D and E ranks!

Thank god someone else who understands how tier lists are supposed to work!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think birthright gets too much hate thrown at it by proxy of being a Fates game. The story's not mind inducing, the systems of fates are fun in a more relaxing way. The only real problem is that it's way too easy even I could beat Lunatic, but that's like a grave F-tier sin honestly given that most of the population play on normal in other games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's the cast that drags Birthright down, Conquest's story is horrible but I at least like the Nohrians, the Hoshidans by contrast are as interesting as watching paint dry, with the sole exception of Azama.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Birthright is just boring. A couple of the characters are neat (Asama and Miitama, Selkie) but are still fairly one note and more or less the entire rest of the cast is just... nothing. All of the hoshidan royals are cardboard cutouts with no personality. The plot is extremely straightforward and the writing isn't any good to carry it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

It's the cast that drags Birthright down, Conquest's story is horrible but I at least like the Nohrians, the Hoshidans by contrast are as interesting as watching paint dry, with the sole exception of Azama.

The Nohrians are largely boring or terrible and massively dragged down by Xander and Peri existing imo. The Hoshians at least have Takumi who's like the one interesting character in Fates.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked a few of the Hoshidans, or at least elements of them. Oboro was neat, I kinda liked the idea of Saizo and Kagero being amicable exes, Subaki was cool as the first male pegasus rider.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As far as Royalty goes, Nohr has Hoshido beat by a mile for me. I liked Hinoka and Sakura as characters, Ryoma more just for being the most unstoppable character in the game no matter when he shows up (mechanically more than personalty wise) but the retainers seemed all solid to me. Kagero, Saizo, Kaze, Hana, Oboro, Orochi, Reina.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as ever my stance is that if you combined the top cut of the hoshido characters (takumi, oboro, orochi, saizo, azama, kagero, reina, selkie, mitama) with the top cut of the nohr characters (arthur, the Awakening kids, camilla, elise, leo, beruka, charlotte, forrest, ophelia, nina, soleil*) you'd wind up with a pretty good fire emblem cast.

unfortunately those characters are only about a third of the ones in the game.

*soleil as imagined in my head/fanfic/sort of heroes and not how fates actually treats her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ayra is on the left and Lakche is on the right.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's amazing how much the sprites improved from FE4 to FE5. The same characters look ten times better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sorry Nealuchi rules and I will not accept this slander against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gareth is my favorite completely inexplicable fire emblem character. presumably he was going to be relevant in the cut goldoa arc in fe9 but why did they even bother bringing him back in fe10. why did they make him playable instead of just having him be a midboss in the tower. who is this man. what are his beliefs.