Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

gareth is my favorite completely inexplicable fire emblem character. presumably he was going to be relevant in the cut goldoa arc in fe9 but why did they even bother bringing him back in fe10. why did they make him playable instead of just having him be a midboss in the tower. who is this man. what are his beliefs.

His beliefs are "stand next to Kurthnaga", this is a more coherent motivation than most dragons in the Tellius games let's be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the artbook implies there was a brief power struggle over the goldoan throne between him and dheginsea and then provides no explanation for why he is now his son's bodyguard so hes just as incoherent as the rest of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

gareth is my favorite completely inexplicable fire emblem character. presumably he was going to be relevant in the cut goldoa arc in fe9 but why did they even bother bringing him back in fe10. why did they make him playable instead of just having him be a midboss in the tower. who is this man. what are his beliefs.

Maybe they just wanted a Red Dragon playable because they had all the other colours.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Endorph posted:

he's gareth

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best part of Gareth is that he gets one rounded by the (infinite range) final boss if you don't put him on a cover tile so you can't even use his buff to maximum effectiveness.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe they just wanted a Red Dragon playable because they had all the other colours.

Ena already joined.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
here it is. the ultimate FE tierlist. after this, there will be no need for tierlists.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

WrightOfWay posted:

The best part of Gareth is that he gets one rounded by the (infinite range) final boss if you don't put him on a cover tile so you can't even use his buff to maximum effectiveness.

Ena already joined.

fe10 ena is so bad at every part of being a red dragon other than "stand next to people while having blood tide" it could be argued she doesn't count

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think what modern fe is missing is completely random morons who appear for no discernible plot or gameplay purpose and provide no elaboration. yukimura in fates was a noble attempt but just a touch too coherent. i need a proper caesar or alva.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

fe10 ena is so bad at every part of being a red dragon other than "stand next to people while having blood tide" it could be argued she doesn't count

That's the only good part of being a dragon in FE10, though, so she passes with flying colors.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Ena already joined.

She's Pink

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

i think what modern fe is missing is completely random morons who appear for no discernible plot or gameplay purpose and provide no elaboration. yukimura in fates was a noble attempt but just a touch too coherent. i need a proper caesar or alva.
We need more Interchangable Axe Dudes With The Same Portrait.

Shiny777 posted:

Look, all the dragons except for Kurth are terrible at being dragons (in fact, most of the laguz units are frankly terrible at their jobs), Ena is merely a cog in the greater system of late-game Radiant Dawn's "we're really confused as to what we're doing" design philosophy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

Would Holyn fall under this

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Funky Valentine posted:

We need more Interchangable Axe Dudes With The Same Portrait.

Look, all the dragons except for Kurth are terrible at being dragons (in fact, most of the laguz units are frankly terrible at their jobs), Ena is merely a cog in the greater system of late-game Radiant Dawn's "we're really confused as to what we're doing" design philosophy.

Eh, Nasir's solid enough that he can contribute beyond just being a Tidebot if you want him to and Gareth's problem is that he is in fact the Red Dragon-est Red Dragon possible but some dev clearly hated him since he joins right before the enemy comps become All Magic All The Time. Ena is just uniquely bad because they went "okay, so she's part Red Dragon and part White Dragon, let's give her the latter's mag-focused statline and the former's str-based breath weapon.

Pretty much all the non-dragon/heron/royal laguz are kind of poo poo though yeah. Neither game really made them work all that well, imo, but at least in 9 they didn't flip wildly between "outright liability who will loving die in 2 rounds tops if attacked" and "stat blob who will kick rear end for like 3 rounds and then be the liability again if you're not cramming grass down their throat constantly"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Would Holyn fall under this
imo holyn is also borderline because they vaguely give him a backstory in his ayra convos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

here it is. the ultimate FE tierlist. after this, there will be no need for tierlists.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There should be a Fire Emblem where after a chapter you just suddenly have a unit, with no explanation given as to how you recruited him or why he's there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know y'all are taking the piss but I actually like it when characters are characters and have personalities and backgrounds and are connected to other people

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky Valentine posted:

There should be a Fire Emblem where after a chapter you just suddenly have a unit, with no explanation given as to how you recruited him or why he's there.

The closest we get to this is that early Awakening chapter with Kellam as a green unit in the deployment zone and if you never talk to him with Chrom he doesn't join. It caught a shocking number of people in the thread when Awakening came out lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

I know y'all are taking the piss but I actually like it when characters are characters and have personalities and backgrounds and are connected to other people
dude i just meant that a single unit in a game with 60 characters being random and out of nowhere is kinda funny not that i hate having characters with personalities

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean I did start that post with "I know y'all are taking the piss" so I wasn't mad or anything

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want an elaboration of the Kellam recruitment joke in Awakening. He joins you on the snow fort map, but he was traveling with you as early as the previous map. Do the same thing, but have this new character actually be playable on the previous map, with no acknowledgment of their existence in previous cutscenes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kellam and Vaike are still not in FEH despite the game starting with mostly Awakening and Fates after 6 years

Mustafa from chapter 10 is in the game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Kellam and Vaike are still not in FEH despite the game starting with mostly Awakening and Fates after 6 years

Mustafa from chapter 10 is in the game

seriously

That's uh actually kind of crazy. You'd think they'd have been thrown it at some point with Lucina's 25th alt or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they're really scrping the bottom of the barrel of popular characters so they've been stretching them out for years at this point so they'll always have someone vaguely enticing to help sell a banner

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My ideas for Fire Emblem being wacky are just, unique character that fits a genre but stands out still. A cavalry character that rides a giant direwolf or unicorn. You class change them to something else thinking the horse is gone- no the horse is there still, the have unique animations of getting their spellbook out of a satchel before a fight!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I want an FE character that acts like a magical girl-wait poo poo that's just L'arachel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Junpei posted:

I want an FE character that acts like a magical girl-wait poo poo that's just L'arachel.

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1614275867525488643?s=20&t=8_F4eawVelRHzBasaoPZjg

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zore posted:

seriously

That's uh actually kind of crazy. You'd think they'd have been thrown it at some point with Lucina's 25th alt or whatever.

Lucina actually doesn't have a lot of alts. I think her dad has more

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tired Moritz posted:

They've both got 7 currently. If you don't count the Robins and Corrins together, first and second place are Camilla and Lyn with 9 and 8, so both of them are up there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

He's being helpful!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is one of Lucina's alts her dressed as the Doctor of Thuganomics?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Zore posted:

seriously

I can't remember exactly but I think Vaike was more interesting in the Eng localization or something? Can we get a real Vaike fan to step up to clarify this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm a Vaike fan and I think he's cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vaike wasnt really more interesting in the localization exactly. its just that they took his generic ore-sama shtick and made it the teach thing and that opened the door to teacher/school puns. hes still basically the same guy in jp vs eng, its just his one bit is slightly more memorable in english.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if youre curious heres a list of playable characters not yet in fe heroes. (if a character is in multiple games and is in i wont list them even if they're only represented once. ie finn is fe5 finn i believe but he's in so im not listing him as a missing fe4 character. if a character is in multiple games and not in ill list them as missing in the first game they were in. ie marcus isnt in so hes listed with fe6.)

fe1/3/11/12: frey, cecil, arran, bord, cord, castor, horace, midia, boah, macellan, dolph, tomas, beck, samuel, caesar, radd, warren, frost, gotoh, arlen, wendell, etzel, jubelo, yuliya, belf, reiden, roberto, lorenz, roger, jake, marisha, ymir, samson (these games have Too Many Characters but it is surprising that jake isnt in yet. and midia and lorenz can claim the thinnest shred of plot relevance.)

fe2/15: jesse, nomah, mycen (old men, old men. and jesse)

fe4: oifey, noish, alec, edain, midir, holyn, claud, dew, beowulf, lester, lana, patty, febail, diarmuid, coirpre, hannibal, fee, Every Substitute. (oifey is the main shocker here)

fe5: cain, alva, carrion, selphina, glade, robert, xavier, fergus, halvan, dagdar, marty, conomor, misha, linoan, safy, tina, perne, troude, homer, shannam, deen, eda, fred, amalda, ilios, ralf, sleuf, dalsin, hicks, brighton, machyua, lara, shiva (Who Cares but youd think fred would be in just off the back of the olwen/reinhardt connection)

fe6: alen, lance, barthe, marcus, bors, astolfo, ogier, elffin, douglas, elen, zeiss, garret, yoder, dorothy, trec, noah, dayan, shin, lot, wade (winners all around but dorothy seems reasonably popular. and shin)

fe7: oswin, wallace, harken, isadora, lowen, wil, dart, vaida, geitz, renault, athos (definitely some amount of holding back for another FE7 banner, oswin is not necessarily popular but is Known)

fe8: forde, franz, kyle, garcia, gilliam, syrene, vanessa, moulder (gently caress the rausten knights i guess)

fe9: geoffrey, lucia, bastian, kieran, brom, calill, largo, makalov, devdan, stefan, tauroneo, nasir, janaff, ulki, tormod (mostly characters nobody really cares much about, but Stefan feels like one they're holding back on. i will be very surprised if devdan/danved is ever in in any capacity)

fe10: nolan, edward, leonardo, laura, aran, fiona, meg, heather, skrimir, gareth, nealuchi, volug (heather is another very obvious case of 'holding off on a mildly popular character. also just, gently caress the concept of the dawn brigade in its entirety)

fe13: vaika, kellam, laurent (i forget laurent exists more than kellam tbh)

fe14: reina, yukimura, fuga, hayato, izana, shura, mozu, scarlet, sophie, asugi, hisame, mitama, ignatius, percy (strong showcase for how little people care about half the kids in fates. put rallyman in.)

fe16: hanneman, alois, gilbert (old men running the world, a new age)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Upset that Reina, the only Kinshi Knight in the entire franchise, is not the sole Kinshi Knight in heroes instead of a Hinoka alt.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reina lost her chances of being popular when they decided she should be one of the units with arbitrarily no supports despite joining in like literally chapter 10 in birthright and being by all accounts a completely normal character

like i at least get why you wouldn't give fuga, mr. "i join in one route only after chapter 23 if you have a hot spring" supports, that's basically a bonus character like the spotpass units from awakening, but Reina???

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jesus christ i forgot about laurent until you mentioned him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, they just won't give Reina or Scarlet a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I still can't believe they added in Karin from 5 but won't let me roll for my boy Fergus.