Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I thought willow was fail when I was a teen so shan’t be watching it now. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Smythe posted:

I thought willow was fail when I was a teen so shan’t be watching it now. :tipshat:

I respect this take as someone who has never heard of willow before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

karmicknight posted:

I respect this take as someone who has never heard of willow before.

The movie is jank in some ways but it's just incredibly silly and charming and works for me. Tons of rad effects (though some are of that Alien 3 rod puppet sort of caliber). It has this dorks on a D&D campaign getting sidetracked into stupid poo poo before they reach the actual big bad vibe. Warwick Davis is awesome in it too and the rest of the cast is cool.

Like it's such a particular movie that if someone told me it sucked poo poo I wouldn't bat an eye.

Definitely a love it or hate it flick so I'd say it's worth giving a chance if you want some fun fantasy stuff.

Capcom made a pair of video games based on it. The one in the arcades was a decent action game and the NES one is actually a really solid Legend of Zelda clone.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Not to drudge up any old Star Wars debates, but Willow in this series is kind of like how I wished Luke was in the sequels. Flawed, weaker, reluctant, but still active and willing to contribute and a decent mentor. Can ice some dudes if need be but it exhausts the hell out of him.

They are kind of remarkably similar. Even haunted by dreams of the future. They're just a farmer that got lucky.

Sequel Luke is not that far off from what I had hoped, sequel Willow is just about 10% more there but it's a big 10%

TLJ wanted Luke to have a clear character arc within its run-time, which isn't unreasonable. It opted to establish he'd completely cut himself off from the Force, and somewhat links that to his withdrawal from galactic affairs, though he's clearly lying when he claims to have cut himself off from everyone (witness his relation with the locals). His inactivity is meant to contrast not just to his final act in the movie, but especially with Kylo Ren and the "solutions" he offers to the same set of problems Luke temporarily gives up the fight over.

So at the least, there was a good reason for Luke to be missing the bit you were looking for, whether or not that was the best decision. Honestly, I don't blame TLJ but rather whoever came up with the idea of having Star Wars sequels with new characters and a new fight, but centering each movie around a single one of the old stars (Han, Luke, Leia). They should have been more peripheral and the new cast more central, conceptually.

Eiba posted:

Is she well meaning? She might be correct that her son's a piece of poo poo, but her demanding transactional form of parenting is like 90% of the reason he is like he is. If she "wants what's best for him" it's only because she sees that as being good for her too.

She's pretty bad.

I'm still convinced she's representing a first-generation immigrant who has gone whole hog on the "citizen of the Empire" myth. We don't know her job, but she's likely working in some menial capacity, and she's stuck in public Imperial housing (the design is even similar to the prison). But she's not upset about her circumstances, she's proud that she came from whatever hell-hole planet she came from, to the biggest of the big cities, and made something of herself, and now her son is supposed to take all that privilege she scrimped and slaved for and "pay her back" by being a success.

Speaking from experience, while many people who have next to nothing are loving and generous, I think there's plenty of people in this position who see being transactional as a survival trait, believe that it's what enabled their "success" in the face of a hostile world, and that delusion supports their massive and unjustified ego. It's telling that Syril walks the boundary of attacking her in the way that'd be most effective: "all these years of back-breaking work, and you're still stuck in this cheap apartment with a son who's a total failure. Doesn't that make you a failure, too, mom?" To which her easy response is "I worked hard to give you everything you needed for success, and this is what you do with it? You waste all my work and it's my fault?" Likely the same narcissism that drives her in the series drove her to emigrate originally. We also don't know what happened with Syril's father (though he's probably not Darth Vader).

So she isn't well-meaning, but she's understandable.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely a love it or hate it flick so I'd say it's worth giving a chance if you want some fun fantasy stuff.

Capcom made a pair of video games based on it. The one in the arcades was a decent action game and the NES one is actually a really solid Legend of Zelda clone.

Yes, the NES Willow is pretty solid, as I recall.

The movie was the lazy Sunday comfort movie in my house growing up so I definitely have some fondness for it that way. I can appreciate coming into it blind as an adult in 2023 and having a different opinion though.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I like the movie Willow as part of a continuum of 1980s effects-driven fantasy. It's amazing how many of them are mixed-bag but ultimately enjoyable lazy Sunday afternoon material. Legend, Krull, Dragonslayer, Beastmaster, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Neverending Story, all these kinda roughshod post-SW effects/puppetry movies that defined many a childhood. Left our Conan the Barbarian, Excalibur and countless b-movies because they're a little more R-rated, and Princess Bride because it's legit great. In any case, I loved all that poo poo, and "Willow" slid right in there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just glossing over deathstalker I see. I bet you don't even eat potatoes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Azhais posted:

Never forget these "masterpieces" either lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkPxZLWeTBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK1v2cyM9_U

Hawk the Slayer is so bad/awesome lol I love it. I like that like half the run time is just Hawk riding through misty forests with skeletons laying around while synth music plays.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I watched the movie in advance of the new series (which I still haven't seen), and I never realized how much Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings borrows from it, which is hilarious considering the obvious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqquZMlYAbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpjDeI8PT7I

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sometimes I encounter people who have also seen Krull, and they tell me the film was awful, poorly written, paced and acted with special effects that don't stand up well. These people are correct, absolutely and unequivocally.

But I still loving LOVE Krull it's so great :hellyeah:

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Azhais posted:

That falls under my countless b-movies caregory.

There were so many Conan-cash-in, armor-laded, sword-clinking, tit-wagging sword and sorcery movies I didn't even want to start listing them. I mostly like the ones with tits, lots of tits. "Sorceress" is a favorite.

https://moviesfilmsandflix.com/2016...-prophecy-ever/

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 15, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tits, muscles, and dragons. A money draw and pleasures both guilty and proud for ages now. I'm surprised we've not been inundated with GoT ripoffs for the past decade.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Love Rat posted:

There were so many Conan-cash-in, armor-laded, sword-clinking, tit-wagging sword and sorcery movies I didn't even want to start listing them. I mostly like the ones with tits, lots of tits. "Sorceress" is a favorite.

WHY DOES THE GUY IN AN APESUIT HAVE A STORY ARC LMAO I LOVE THAT MOVIE

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also the baby in Willow is like the best baby actor of all time. I don't know how that is possible cause the other people aren't even bad but the baby is acting circles around them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerusalem posted:

Sometimes I encounter people who have also seen Krull, and they tell me the film was awful, poorly written, paced and acted with special effects that don't stand up well. These people are correct, absolutely and unequivocally.

But I still loving LOVE Krull it's so great :hellyeah:

Krull is the He Man movie we never got. Okay yea, its not He Man at all but the science fantasy stuff is what He Man should have been. Literally about Aliens with lasers attacking a fantasy world.

There was also the Sword and the Sorcerer which is probably the first live action fantasy thing I ever saw and that did a number on me, even though its very much not a good movie. Brendan Tenold recently reviewed it and Deathstalker 2, so I cannot think about his comment about the new Deathstalker guy looking like a surfer.

I rewatched Willow the other day as I have covid again and I though I might as well. Its still pretty fun, and I realized the dialog in the show isn't too far off from the film. Its fairly modern. Also i realized there was a bunch of very Star Warsy things in it too.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also the baby in Willow is like the best baby actor of all time. I don't know how that is possible cause the other people aren't even bad but the baby is acting circles around them

When they have this insanely dangerous and exciting escape, and Willow looks at the baby and it just yawns, that always gets a laugh out of me.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Love Rat posted:

Don't forget Ladyhawke. Loved the hell out of that movie when I was a kid.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

On the topic of Willow, I never thought hearing Dire Straights during the finale of a fantasy series would own so hard, but here we are.

On the topic of Bad Batch, I never thought seeing an episode where the Clones were the badguys and the Battle Droids were the good guys would own so hard, but here we are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Mark Knopfler did the soundtrack for The Princess Bride, so Dire Straits doing another Fantasy show's music isn't out of the question.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Mark Knopfler did the soundtrack for The Princess Bride, so Dire Straits doing another Fantasy show's music isn't out of the question.
loving WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LividLiquid posted:

loving WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbv0ArjPGU

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

Don't forget Ladyhawke. Loved the hell out of that movie when I was a kid.

drat, I feel ashamed for forgetting that gem.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I owned this OST as a kid, and it, uh, owned.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:swoon:

Thank you!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i keep seeing people praise & share that one darth vader comic book, i saw this last panel and lolled big time

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

this last episode of the bad batch loving whipped. its crazy i watched it while high after watching episode 1 of Copenhagen cowboy and it felt like a continuation with the synth music and weird colors

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That DICK! posted:

i keep seeing people praise & share that one darth vader comic book, i saw this last panel and lolled big time

Dink dink, dink dink dink DINK DINK DINK!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
First episode of the Going Solo podcast is out, worth a listen and especially catch up on the original episodes about the production of Rogue One

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...mZWFjYThi?ep=14

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dorf Vader

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1614832615244300288

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I Tourette’s style yell poo poo like Balfron and Lanz Carpo at myself all day. Wish that was my job

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

[ Zeltros ]

DON'T YOU TEASE ME WITH A GOOD TIME, YOU MOTHERFUCKER

(also, I'm just gonna head-canon Iskalon and Arbra top-10 on that list)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Why the gently caress did I sleep on Andor, this is the best Star Wars anything ever.

I made it number one of the year just based on this reaction in the TVIV Best of 2022 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Managed to find a couple new shows based on that thread as well

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm only halfway through Andor (second episode of the prison factory). I love seeing the "competent" side of the Empire. At some point all the mustache-twirling Eeevil became white noise, so it's refreshing and almost admirable to see such a well-implemented program of dehumanization and beaurocracy. I always wondered how the Empire ever managed to get/stay on top outside of Space Wizardry.

I love the b-plot of Gabe from The Office trying his best to be a Star Wars Bad Guy(tm) while living with his mother.

Stellan Skarsgard is so great.

Am I the only one that did a double-take at the morning-after scene in I think episode two, where I could swear they had to digitally re-touch Bix as she's pulling her pants on? Seemed way more risqué than I was expecting from a Star War.

Nothing made me turn off Star Wars than Stormtroopers just being flailing idiots who can't aim. The show does such a great job of modernizing yet going back to the roots of how scary and horrible it would be to come across them which is paying homage to their original Nazi inspiration.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Love Rat posted:

I like the movie Willow as part of a continuum of 1980s effects-driven fantasy. It's amazing how many of them are mixed-bag but ultimately enjoyable lazy Sunday afternoon material. Legend, Krull, Dragonslayer, Beastmaster, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Neverending Story, all these kinda roughshod post-SW effects/puppetry movies that defined many a childhood..

Feels like Dragonslayor is the one that has the least negatives but it's been years since I saw it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm only halfway through Andor (second episode of the prison factory). I love seeing the "competent" side of the Empire. At some point all the mustache-twirling Eeevil became white noise, so it's refreshing and almost admirable to see such a well-implemented program of dehumanization and beaurocracy. I always wondered how the Empire ever managed to get/stay on top outside of Space Wizardry.

I love the b-plot of Gabe from The Office trying his best to be a Star Wars Bad Guy(tm) while living with his mother.

Stellan Skarsgard is so great.

Am I the only one that did a double-take at the morning-after scene in I think episode two, where I could swear they had to digitally re-touch Bix as she's pulling her pants on? Seemed way more risqué than I was expecting from a Star War.

Gabe from The Office as played by Kyle MacLachlan

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New trailer for Mando tonight!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shageletic posted:

I made it number one of the year just based on this reaction in the TVIV Best of 2022 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Managed to find a couple new shows based on that thread as well

are you missing a link to the specific post? or were you saying you personally put it at number one because of the post you quoted?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Disappointed by the lack of episode guides for BBS2 - I wanna see the lighting concept art for bombed-out Serenno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Feels like Dragonslayor is the one that has the least negatives but it's been years since I saw it.

Good movie, though it does suffer from that "dirty fantasy" aesthetic that makes me want to scrub my television off after watching. And I do think parts of the film are a bit on the leaden side, especially in terms of the pacing when compared with the sword & sandals "everyone is coked up" faux-action of most of the Conan-alikes. The action may be stupid and poorly executed, but there sure is a lot of it!

Dragonslayer is definitely going for "gritty realism plus dragons" in a way that's intellectually engaging, but not always as entertaining as bad movies can be.