Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SNW is p decent, but episode 1 is dire which is unfortunate

I can't imagine what the thought process was that made episode 1 the Disco-related episode where they were too cool for the word 'communicator' and instead said 'phone'
cuz tahts how you appeal to the fanbase, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Timby posted:

I think SNW's reputation gets a bit overblown because everyone was so desperate for live-action Trek that wasn't utterly dire, but there are some excellent episodes and I don't think any episode drops below "mediocre." There's clearly a lot of love in the writing, and the charisma of the cast makes up for some script weaknesses.

This honestly seems as true to Trek as you can get though

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

SNW's cast really seems to enjoy working on the show and it shines though on the screen.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are both excellent in their own ways, also I feel like SNW in particular is the first of the modern shows to escape fandom containment and start getting a lot of chatter from other people I follow, too. Might also be the first of the current batch to make a lot of best-of lists at the end of the year, beyond just the usual genre outlets

Both shows are more than good enough to pass my personal background viewing test, along with TNG and DS9

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
SNW also looks the best of all the shows. The sets and production design are top notch and leagues above what both Picard and Disco have shown us.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

SNW also looks the best of all the shows. The sets and production design are top notch and leagues above what both Picard and Disco have shown us.

Except the goddamn collars on the uniforms. gently caress all the way off with that low-cut undershirt underneath the tunic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Is Strange New Worlds any good? I have the TOS remastered series on Blu Ray, and a few of the films on Blu, but I don’t have any access to anything else.

I was thinking about getting Paramount Plus to watch TNG/DS9, and maybe SNW too.

Everyone else has beat this into the ground already, but yeah SNW is pretty dang good. The best live action Modern Trek, at the very least. And even then, the two animated Trek series beat it rather handily; I'm firmly in the camp that Star Trek: Prodigy has grown very quickly in its first season to be the single best Modern Trek show period. Though can understand if that sort of thing wouldn't be to your tastes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Except the goddamn collars on the uniforms. gently caress all the way off with that low-cut undershirt underneath the tunic.

Nah, it’s fine

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Also, Discovery is also worth a watch! It's not as objectively good, but I found it fun!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SNW has been overall really good, they've done a nice job with it and I really enjoy it so far, but there is the notable exception of an episode with a gorn that was so bad it felt like one of the most anti-star trek things ever and really left me with a sour taste.

Thankfully its episodic nature means its not something lingered on and just "a bad episode" of which every series has many, lol.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Godddddd when are they going to release a soundtrack for SNW already

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll put Lower Decks and Prodigy and of SNW. The two animated series have achieved greatness, SNW is "merely" very, very good. Both Lower Decks and Prodigy have episodes that have to be considered for the all-time best episodes list. The S1 finale for LD was amazing, so much happened in that half hour episode. The Enderprisians episode of Prodigy (S1E13) is one of the more original concepts of any episode of any series, it was incredibly well executed, and I'm taking it as a love letter to the fans. There's just so much joy on-screen in that episode.

tl;dr Watch all three, the only clunker is the LD pilot, which is actually bad and had me worried for a week.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Godddddd when are they going to release a soundtrack for SNW already

Summer is the last I've been told.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The most amazing thing about LD to me is that they've legitimately managed to capture the soul of what made 90s Trek good, and I really didn't think that was possible with the way modern Trek was going. SNW and Prodigy are good, but there's something special about LD at this point.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LividLiquid posted:

I've never seen TOS and I don't feel like I was missing anything in SNW not getting whatever references or nostalgia you're talking about.

Same, I think I've seen like.. two full TOS episodes so whatever references they were making passed me by.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Prodigy being a really entertaining stealth sequel to Voyager that actually made me appreciate Voyager more was a big surprise. Both Janeways are solid mentor/leader/mother figures who this time are actually written consistently rather than whipsawing between personality types week to week.

I do wonder what Chakotay thought about his ship's holographic advisor being a copy of his friend and superior officer, though. Was it his idea, or did Janeway spring it on him as a surprise? "I'll always be watching you, Chakotay!" [Arachnia laugh]

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Same, I think I've seen like.. two full TOS episodes so whatever references they were making passed me by.

The season finale, while certainly serviceable on its own, is made entirely better if you are familiar with TOS' Balance of Terror.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Take Me Out to the Holo-suite is great, but it annoys me that the last shot, of the baseball signed by all the players hovering in the air, prominently features Quarks signature, in english. Should be in ferengi script.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 15, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

Take Me Out to the Holo-suite is great, but it annoys me that the last shot, of the baseball signed by all the players hovering in the air“ prominently features Quarks signature, in english. Should be in ferengi script.

Quark knows how to brand himself, he's clearly aware that writing it in English increases the chance of his name being associated with something profitable.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
QBark is a great signature

I also like that Worf's is just WORF as plain as possible

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mike the TV posted:

It should have been ВОРФ :colbert:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mike the TV posted:

Pretty sure it's Quark with ears on the Q.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The thing which always gets me with that episode is Kira’s magical shirt which switches between having ‘KIRA’ and ‘NERYS’ on the back depending on when the scene was shot and when they realized the mistake!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zaroff posted:

The thing which always gets me with that episode is Kira’s magical shirt which switches between having ‘KIRA’ and ‘NERYS’ on the back depending on when the scene was shot and when they realized the mistake!

Oh that's just the smart fabric cycling her name.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

I think SNW's reputation gets a bit overblown because everyone was so desperate for live-action Trek that wasn't utterly dire, but there are some excellent episodes and I don't think any episode drops below "mediocre." There's clearly a lot of love in the writing, and the charisma of the cast makes up for some script weaknesses.

TNG had some pretty dire episodes as well, especially in the first couple seasons.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Paradoxish posted:

The most amazing thing about LD to me is that they've legitimately managed to capture the soul of what made 90s Trek good, and I really didn't think that was possible with the way modern Trek was going. SNW and Prodigy are good, but there's something special about LD at this point.

I can't get over the fact the season 3 finale of the "rick and morty fart joke star trek", had a better build up and pay off, with more stakes that played organically and were engrossing, than anything picard or discovery managed with their 'prestige drama' formatting in 5 seasons between them. Like the LD final really felt earned, and I was far more invested in it while watching it. The most funny part was everyone criticized picard for a bunch of copy-paste ships showing up for its dumb rear end season 1 finale, then LD goes and literally has a bunch of identical ship models show up for its finale but its completely in theme with everything going on and makes a great payoff.

Marvelous.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

Pretty sure it's Quark with ears on the Q.

I can't help but read it as QBark

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

The most funny part was everyone criticized picard for a bunch of copy-paste ships showing up for its dumb rear end season 1 finale, then LD goes and literally has a bunch of identical ship models show up for its finale but its completely in theme with everything going on and makes a great payoff.

Yeah, the Cali fleet showing up and kicking someone's rear end would have felt kinda forced and artificial and overly self-indulgent if it had happened earlier but they spent three seasons making the whole audience have a genuine affection for those awkward silly-looking little underdogs so when it happened it was just simultaneously awesome and heartwarming.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's also because LD specifically put the call out to the Cali class ships and no-one else, so there's a reason they all look the same asides from "we didn't have the budget to do digital kitbashes"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Which is funny because they DON’T all look the same. There’s a bunch of different color schemes across all the ships.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-8FtwsamtY

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 15, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's also because LD specifically put the call out to the Cali class ships and no-one else, so there's a reason they all look the same asides from "we didn't have the budget to do digital kitbashes"

Also even though they're the same class they all have their paintjobs.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mike the TV posted:

I can't help but read it as QBark

Lmao it has quotation marks on it.

You cannot prove my legal name is Quark, who is Quark anyway, certainly not me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to threshholds in my rewatch of Voyager and lmao

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wonder if it's because that's also how he signs 8x10s. Armin Shimmerman, "Quark," with the ears drawn on the Q.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Just got to threshholds in my rewatch of Voyager and lmao

Say what you like about Threshold, but it's a very memorable episode

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wee Bairns posted:

The season finale, while certainly serviceable on its own, is made entirely better if you are familiar with TOS' Balance of Terror.

Balance of Terror is one of the "if you will only ever watch one episode of TOS..." episodes, and it's one of the very best any Trek show has produced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

I wonder if it's because that's also how he signs 8x10s. Armin Shimmerman, "Quark," with the ears drawn on the Q.

Shimerman.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Balance of Terror is one of the "if you will only ever watch one episode of TOS..." episodes, and it's one of the very best any Trek show has produced.

Absolutely. I remember way back in the dark ages before vcrs, in my town they would show one episode a week of ST, on Saturday afternoon.

When the episode was Balance of Terror it was a huge event among the neighborhood kids, and we would all gather together at someone’s house to watch.

I still watch it once or twice a year.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Timby posted:

Far better than the stupid half a shirt collar thing that Discovery has going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Ope. I forgot. I've seen it. It's the only one I have seen. So while I didn't remember much, that episode of SNW was in context for me, though it took me until the last 15 minutes or so to remember that this was the plot of Balance of Terror. It had been a while.

So, seen that, and the first ten minutes of the first episode, but I tapped out from the background radiation of sexism. I don't think Show Bad or anything. I just wasn't equipped to deal with that in the moment I tried to watch it.

Timby posted:

Shimerman.
Ope. Thank you!